• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

Saturday Night At The Movies

GORDONSMITH7

Admin
Private Member
Reaction score
New thread for movie lovers. Films you have seen at the pictures and can recommend or otherwise. That includes upcoming films on the TV that are accessible to most of us, BBC, ITV, TCM. Film4 Amazon Nexflix, my amigo R makes a good point, that you have seen before and think others may like.
Can I say personally that there is nowt like going to the pictures imo.
I will kick off by recommending a film I saw on Tuesday. The brilliant Spike Lee's BlacKkKlansman which was tremendous. A true story, unbelievably, about Ron Stallworth, a black police officer from Colorado, who successfully manages to infiltrate the local Ku Klux Klan in the 70's with the help of a white Jewish surrogate officer, who eventually becomes head of the local branch. Lots of humour too. Chilling 2018 end. Everyone sat there for a while before moving off. I have only experienced that before which was at the end of Apocalypse Now, in the Cameo 40 years ago.
A has to be seen movie.

BIG G

Last edited:
Breaking your rules because I've wa6cjed them on either Netflix or Prime but I'd recommend
Detroit
The death of Stalin
Finders keepers(more a documentary than a film)
And particularly Remember,story of a German Jew with altzhimers hunting down a guard from a concentration camp.Brilliant performance from Christopher Plummer and a very clever ending

I watched The Snowman, the Jo Nesbo one, no the castrated welsh laddie cartoon the other night, it was excellent. I am no one for the depressing scandanavian bleak dramas, as those who travelled to the Faroes and Molde will confirm.

I'm a horror buff and I really enjoyed Heridetary at the cinema recently. It reminded me of slow burning chillers like Rosemary's Baby and Don't Look Now that you rarely see these days. Very spooky and genuinely unsettling. The end might be a bit OTT for some but the film earns it.

I'll second @Braehead Cabbage with his recommendations of 71 and Death of Stalin on Amazon. Both are fantastic.

Last edited:
I wanted to go and see the Ballamurphy Precedent in the omni tomorrow followed by a Q&A session ,it's about the civil rights marches in Ireland being attacked by the Loyalists.But it seems like you had to buy tickets in advance.But if I go I will let folk know what I thought.

I wanted to go and see the Ballamurphy Precedent in the omni tomorrow followed by a Q&A session ,it's about the civil rights marches in Ireland being attacked by the Loyalists.But it seems like you had to buy tickets in advance.But if I go I will let folk know what I thought.

I can't see that being a sell out, but then again I'm a poor judge of movies.
Currently barred from cinemas by the missus due to being provoked by a seat kicker. Sit still. Eat yer popcorn but keep yer feet still for fcuksake and I won't threaten you.

Having someone behind me banging away just rips my knitting.

No offence moaty.

I'm a horror buff and I really enjoyed Heridetary at the cinema recently. It reminded me of slow burning chillers like Rosemary's Baby and Don't Look Now that you rarely see these days. Very spooky and genuinely unsettling. The end might be a bit OTT for some but the film earns it.

I'll second @Braehead Cabbage with his recommendations of 71 and Death of Stalin on Amazon. Both are fantastic.

Love Rosemary's Baby, possibly the best horror of all time. I made the missus watch it recently and at the end she turned to me and asked, "what did they do to it's eyes?" :icon-rolleyes:

Have you seen "Get Out"? That was a recent horror that I quite enjoyed, which also had that growing sense of unease albeit with a mental ending.

Love Rosemary's Baby, possibly the best horror of all time. I made the missus watch it recently and at the end she turned to me and asked, "what did they do to it's eyes?" :icon-rolleyes:

Have you seen "Get Out"? That was a recent horror that I quite enjoyed, which also had that growing sense of unease albeit with a mental ending.
I really liked Get Out too. It's been a bit of a golden era for horror lately, in amongst all the found footage bolloks there have been some real gems.

If you havent seen any of the following (all less than five years old) I'd recommend them:

It Follows
Green Room
Don't Breathe
Raw
Under The Shadow
Goodnight Mommy
Train to Busan
The Babadook
The Witch
You're Next

Last edited:

Rosemary's up there.

Any films worth a dash coming up on the TV

BIG G

Rosemary's up there.

Any films worth a dash coming up on the TV

BIG G

Spotlight is on BBC2 on Saturday night. It's based on the true story of journalists at the Boston Globe who exposed child abuse in the Catholic church. It's very good.

Went to see The Nun last night,it’s a prequel to The Conjuring. It was ok but you know what’s coming most of the time,making Horrors cert 15 rather than 18 takes it away a bit for me but it’s all about bums on seats....

There’s another Halloween with Jamie Lee Curtis out next month if you’re a fan.

Went to see The Nun last night,it’s a prequel to The Conjuring. It was ok but you know what’s coming most of the time,making Horrors cert 15 rather than 18 takes it away a bit for me but it’s all about bums on seats....

The original The Conjuring was superb. The sequel was ok (based on the Enfield Haunting) but the Annabel films not so good IMO, too reliant on "jump scares"!

Went to see a film called "Searching" last night. Without giving too much away for the most part I though it was very good. Really original - told through the perspective of a Dad's laptop and mobile devices as he searches for his missing daughter via Google, social media, voice calls, facetime, online news etc etc. Definitely worth watching.

I'm looking forward to the new Halloween, the trailers look very promising. The original is one of my favourites. I even think a few of the sequels have their own shoddy charm.

I can't say I've ever taken to The Counjering series too much. They aren't terrible or anything but meh...

The original The Conjuring was superb. The sequel was ok (based on the Enfield Haunting) but the Annabel films not so good IMO, too reliant on "jump scares"!

Went to see a film called "Searching" last night. Without giving too much away for the most part I though it was very good. Really original - told through the perspective of a Dad's laptop and mobile devices as he searches for his missing daughter via Google, social media, voice calls, facetime, online news etc etc. Definitely worth watching.
I thought the Enfield Haunting on Sky? With Timothy Spall was miles better than the film.

I’ll keep an eye out for Searching.

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to the new Halloween, the trailers look very promising. The original is one of my favourites. I even think a few of the sequels have their own shoddy charm.

I can't say I've ever taken to The Counjering series too much. They aren't terrible or anything but meh...
The 1st Counjering was decent enough but haven’t bothered with the 3rd one,only watched the 1st Annabelle too

Watched this last night and thought it was excellent...

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

I am gonnae search out recommendations of The Death of Stalin, which my boy Stairway said it was brilliant after he saw it in the Flicks. Never got round to it. I will also give Snowman a dash. I think that Idris Elba's Directorial debut Yardie will be my next trip to the Pictures.
BIG G

Gonnae stretch the remit here to include Documovies. When We Were Kings springs to mind, which me and my boys saw in the Cameo back in 1997.
BIG G

I am gonnae search out recommendations of The Death of Stalin, which my boy Stairway said it was brilliant after he saw it in the Flicks. Never got round to it. I will also give Snowman a dash. I think that Idris Elba's Directorial debut Yardie will be my next trip to the Pictures.
BIG G
Death of Stalin is very good mixes brutal scenes with very dark humour great performances from the whole cast but Micheal Palin is outstanding

Just finished watching The Death of Stalin. Great film.

BIG G

BIG G

BIG G

Spotlight is on BBC2 on Saturday night. It's based on the true story of journalists at the Boston Globe who exposed child abuse in the Catholic church. It's very good.
Was on BBC2 Thursday/Friday. Finished at 01.15. Utter quality. The courage of the journalists at the Globe to take on not only the Catholic Church but the Civic and Politically Catholic bureaucracy in the most Catholic of US Cities to expose the Paedophile child abusers in vestments and the cover up was utterlty heroic.
The end titles were chilling.....
249 Priests and brothers publically accused of sexual abuse in the Boston Archdiocese.
The number of survivors in Boston over 1000

In 2002 the cover up merchant Cardinal Law resigned

He was reassigned to the Bastica di Santa Maria Maggiore in Rome, one of the highest ranking Roman Catholic Churches in the World

Then a massive list of places that abuse scandals have been uncovered......hundreds in the US then an equally large one throughout the World.....
Including Edinburgh, Scotland.

BIG G

Don't go the movies to see things I want too often, usually Marvel stuff for the lad or most recent Mamma Mia with my wife. Was mildly entertaining, simply based on the young lead female character being tremendous on the eye.

The new Neil Armstrong movie looks outstanding, will be going to see it.

Watched "Final Score" on Sky last night. Labelled as "Die Hard in a Football Stadium" :lauff:

Can probably be filed under "so bad it's good"! Filmed at West Ham's old Boleyn Ground.

Also stars Pierce Brosnan, the guy responsible for the best piece of acting EVER:

Watched "Final Score" on Sky last night. Labelled as "Die Hard in a Football Stadium" :lauff:

Can probably be filed under "so bad it's good"! Filmed at West Ham's old Boleyn Ground.

Also stars Pierce Brosnan, the guy responsible for the best piece of acting EVER:

I saw that popping up on Now TV and did wonder if it would fall into the so bad it's worth a watch category. You can beat a cheesy B-Movie sometimes.

The premises kind of reminds me of Sudden Death - a Van Damme film from the 90s that was "Die Hard in an Ice Hockey arena". It was also agreeably terrible.

I saw that popping up on Now TV and did wonder if it would fall into the so bad it's worth a watch category. You can beat a cheesy B-Movie sometimes.

The premises kind of reminds me of Sudden Death - a Van Damme film from the 90s that was "Die Hard in an Ice Hockey arena". It was also agreeably terrible.

I sky plussed it, I will now delete it.

Final Score went straight to tv from a very short cinema release and with good reason. Honking

Watched The Snowman this afternoon. Splendid.
BIG G

Just watched Daddy's Home 2, I thought it was hilarious, shite but hilarious. My sides are aching.

enjoyed The hurt locker

I'd recommend Bone Tomohawk on Film 4 this coming Monday. Fantastic Western/Horror hybrid. Kurt Russell is the grizzled old Sherrif leading a posse into the mountains to track down a tribe of cannibal troglodytes. It has all the breathtaking cinematography and grit of a good western and all the nasty visceral scares of a great horror. Really unique but not for faint hearted (especially towards the finale).

I watched this when it came out and thought it was a brilliant film. Wish I'd seen this thread would've recorded it.
Probably on iplayer for a bit?

Another film I really liked, was Whiplash.
It's about a guy (miles teller) in a big music school trying to be a jazz drummer.
J. K Simmons is in it too and the teacher, really enjoyed it.

Plus it's laced with jazz music.

It's about a guy (miles teller) in a big music school trying to be a jazz drummer.

Yeah, Whiplash is brilliant. I saw it in the cinema when it came out and the sound editing for the surroundsound was inredible with drum beats coming at you from all angles.

I watched this when it came out and thought it was a brilliant film. Wish I'd seen this thread would've recorded it.
Probably on iplayer for a bit?

As a Jazzer at heart I look forward to this.
BIG G

Two Documentaries worth a watch on BBC iPlayer.
The Bank That Almost Broke Britain which has everything you could not make up in any movie. Corruption, greed, financial ruin, megalomania and of course you and I bailing the banks out to the tune of a £Trillion, which of course we will never see again.

Ten years on from the global financial crash, this documentary tells the extraordinary story of how a small Scottish bank briefly grew to become the biggest in the world before collapsing and triggering the largest financial bail-out in British history. It focuses on a single day, 7 October 2008, when the Royal Bank of Scotland collapsed and almost took the entire UK banking system down with it. This dramatic financial thriller, set over 24 hours, is intercut with the story of the amazing rise and shocking fall of RBS.

The film reveals how much of RBS's growth lay in the lucrative American subprime market and acquisitions of banks like Greenwich Capital, which were using CDOs to generate huge profits. And as RBS's profits grew spectacularly, so did its lavish spending. Goodwin flew in private RBS jets and commissioned a new £350m HQ on the outskirts of Edinburgh. Never-before-seen footage reveals the spectacular opening party at Gogarburn, attended by the Queen and the cream of Scottish society. But less than three years later, thanks largely to the collapse of the subprime mortgage market in the US, Goodwin's bank was on its knees, and those charged with protecting the British economy were faced with a stark choice - save RBS or risk the country's banking system being taken down by its collapse. Alistair Darling and the team reveal what it was like to have just 24 hours to come up with a plan and strike a deal with all of Britain's major banks, with the nation's economy at stake. In all, the bailout was to cost the taxpayer well over a trillion pounds and would effectively take RBS into public ownership. Fred Goodwin was forced to leave the bank that he had run for eight extraordinary years, but public anger centred on the fact that he hung on to most of his huge RBS pension and that no further action was taken against him, his team or the board of RBS. However, in 2012 he was stripped of his knighthood.

Ten years on since that dramatic collapse and bailout, the film finally explores the widespread sense of injustice that 'over many years the gains were privatised to the bankers', but in the last decade all the pain had been 'nationalised' to the ordinary people of the UK, and asks how much of the political turmoil we now find ourselves in can be traced directly back to the bailout of the bank that almost broke Britain.

The second is The Flu That killed 50 Million although as it said that could have been up to 100 Million. Unfortunately perhaps the greatest Hibernian of all time Dan McMichael succumbed to this in 1919.

Contains some upsetting scenes.

It is 1918 and the end of WWI. Millions have died, and the world is exhausted by war. But soon a new horror is sweeping the world, a terrifying virus that will kill more than fifty million people - the Spanish flu. Using dramatic reconstruction and eyewitness testimony from doctors, soldiers, civilians and politicians, this one-off special brings to life the onslaught of the disease, the horrors of those who lived through it and the efforts of the pioneering scientists desperately looking for the cure.
Narrated by Christopher Eccleston, the film also asks whether, a century later, the lessons learnt in 1918 might help us fight a future global flu pandemic.

Both are brilliant in different ways.

BIG G

Like southfieldhibby, i'm looking forward to seeing First Man when it comes out starring Ryan Gosling as Neil Armstrong. Loved Damien Cazelle's first two movies Whiplash and La La Land so hopefully this will be another great one.

This thread has been viewed 53815 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£47.50
Back