• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

Supporting fellow Bouncers

Rocky

Private Member
Reaction score
There's been a couple of difficult threads in past few days and I gather from one of them that maybe something was said that overstepped the mark. Anyway, regardless of that, some people (many people actually) are always going to be going through a hard time. So the point of this thread is just to say that my PMs are open and if anyone wants an open ear and a coffee / beer / bacon roll / whatever and to chat through some shite then fire away. I imagine others feel the same, so if you're volunteering to offer a listening ear, drop your name in the thread.

No promises of good advice or expert opinion but we're all just trying to get through life the best way we can and if we can give one another a wee leg up then what's to lose.

Sorry for messing up the last thread, probably shouldn't have mentioned that. I think it's a good idea to help one another, we all go through hard times.

Sorry for messing up the last thread, probably shouldn't have mentioned that. I think it's a good idea to help one another, we all go through hard times.
I didn't see what you said in last thread chief, it just occurred to me that there's loads of folk sharing mental health links and stuff on Twitter and whatnot but sometimes folk just need someone to listen and not judge.

Can I thank Rocky for the kind offer, and I will repeat that offer, if you are stuck, I am there too.

Good stuff 1875.

I’m not a real Shrink, but if all else fails.....
And by that I mean you have to be really desperate- and be prepared to pay for the beer.... then I’m here for you.
PM me the relevant pics of the woman causing the issue just in case it’s a known case.

Not a bad place we have here. A good mixture of radges, lunatics and pervs (see above) :P

Always willing to listen/read.

Wasnae just you bud. I lost patience and any confidence I have in the polis so I stupidly named my abuser on here. In hindsight I was wrong for wany reasons, but sometimes an urge to hit this big "SELF DESTRUCT" button takes over and nothing i do is rational.

Also the comment from a poster saying he had known that person you named for x amount of years and never had any incline of anything like this is a really stupid and insensitive comment that just makes me angry.

I went to games with my abuser, he was my dads mate, my dad allowed me to be around him as he worked where I lived and let me play with big boys toys I otherwise wouldnt have got near. Some of you will have came into contact with him over the years, i doubt he comes over as a paedophile even now and no doubt the vast majority of people that know him will be surprised by this when his name finally comes out.

No matter how hard it may be to find out that someone you spent time with is a paedophile, do bear in mind there may really be a victim, who doesnt want to beleive it either but evertime he rips a bit duct tape to do a wee repair it reminds him of being tied up with the stuff.

I have no solutions but always willing to listen

Aye support is always good. Mental health is something I have suffered with since getting nervous in the service.
I've become better through simply reading and putting it into practice on a daily basis.
Meds have a place, but CBT is equally effective in my humble opinion.
Speak out its a illness like all others.
If I can help anyone, happy to do so.
Control your thoughts and slow down for me is the key. But like all things in life it takes practice.

In my experience vodka works way better than fluoxetine.

Alcohol is a depressant

Reactions: SWH
I was on that once upon a time, didn’t work, put me on paroxetine which has worked only problem now is I can’t get off them. My mental health suffers daily mind you so always up or really down, hard for people to know what it’s like having mental health issues.

I was on that once upon a time, didn’t work, put me on paroxetine which has worked only problem now is I can’t get off them. My mental health suffers daily mind you so always up or really down, hard for people to know what it’s like having mental health issues.
My dad was on it for his ptsd, said it made him hear voices tell8ng him to kill himself. I actually became more suicidal on Prozac then off it.only good thing about it is it takes the edge of hangovers. Which I think kinda defeats the purpose.

Read a lot of good things about CBD oil helping with depression.

Medication has a place, but not always the answer. Many great self help books out there. Read them and practice the theories there in. Meditation is a great way to slow down and centre yourself.
The NHS now provide a online conigtive behavioural therapy course. Ask your GP and avoid a waiting list.
NHS physiological services are stretched, and generally 5 sessions and your out the door. It's just demand.
Therefore self help is your only realistic option.
Having a mental health problem is a normal medical condition. Stick your heed in the air and believe in yourself.
I've been low, lost hope. But this is a temporary measure and will lift. Never ever give up. Focus on what is good. Get out of bed. Go for a walk. It's hard but get it done and today will be a little better.
Love yourself, respect yourself. A rant naw really, been there, walked the path, still do.
Good luck you are worth it.
Celebrate your successes.

I'm on paroxetine also. And it's true its a lonely hard place at times. But we are not alone. Best wishes.

I brought this, mental health, up in the pub a few weeks ago - a crowd of about half a dozen guys.

The shock and horror talking about this to start with was amazing but i it wasn't long before we all had what was probably the most deep and meaningful conversation we've ever had! It was like the flood gates opened.

We've touched on it now and again since, it's easy now and again and again. There was even one guy who never really joined in the first time but phoned me later to ask about the medication, cbt, fitness stuff I did a few years ago. Canny shut him up now!

Neither wonder the gunts are depressed though :lovey:

I'm on paroxetine also. And it's true its a lonely hard place at times. But we are not alone. Best wishes.
Thanks and best wishes to you too, I tried to get off it about a year ago which didn’t go great (went a bit loopy shall we say with very bad side effects), I felt I’d lost all my emotions etc as a result of taking this medication for around ten years, I’ve now decided I’m better on it than off it, it’s still a hard road mind you. I think mental health in men is huge at the minute, seems to be a lot of younger guys not being able to reach out in time.

Thanks and best wishes to you too, I tried to get off it about a year ago which didn’t go great (went a bit loopy shall we say with very bad side effects), I felt I’d lost all my emotions etc as a result of taking this medication for around ten years, I’ve now decided I’m better on it than off it, it’s still a hard road mind you. I think mental health in men is huge at the minute, seems to be a lot of younger guys not being able to reach out in time.
Agree paroxtine is a older drug. Mainly aimed at anxiety. I've been on it for 15 years maybe more. They always say up the dose when the low moods come. I do but always return to original dose. It does take away one's emotion. Kinda feel flat not sad not happy, emotionless.
But by playing about with dosage dependant on my mental health, I remain on my original dosage and lead a naw bad lifestyle. GPs are not generally that switched on with mental health. Pills is nearly always the answer. But it is improving very slowly.

So I took ownership of myself.
Men generally don't talk, about such things. But we should, the days of being macho etc and doing it alone should be gone.
The stigma still exists, so I'm open and challange this on every occasion. Young men are a challange, and sadly too many get lost. I think as a young man I didn't really understand myself. Maturity does bring a ability to reflect as it where.
Maybe just maybe if one young guy or girl reads this exchange between us. Then they may reach out.
From little acorns do oak trees grow.
Let's hope.

This is a really good thread. I’ve suffered from mental health problems for most of my adult life, although I only had it diagnosed around 6 years ago. I think medication definitely helps but it’s not for everyone. I think it’s important to make sure you’re on the right medication. Fluoxetine(or Prozac) tends to be the starter for most doctors, but in my opinion is rarely the answer. Don’t be afraid to tell your doctor when things aren’t working and if you can talk to friends and family as that can often be better than any medication. Stay strong.

This is a really good thread. I’ve suffered from mental health problems for most of my adult life, although I only had it diagnosed around 6 years ago. I think medication definitely helps but it’s not for everyone. I think it’s important to make sure you’re on the right medication. Fluoxetine(or Prozac) tends to be the starter for most doctors, but in my opinion is rarely the answer. Don’t be afraid to tell your doctor when things aren’t working and if you can talk to friends and family as that can often be better than any medication. Stay strong.
Top post amigo...

I have suffered from mental health problems I think since i was a wee boy.I don't know exactly what triggered it.Maybe it was in my genes,maybe it was a traumatic event.I had a wee brother called Robert,he died in his cot.I think it may have been probable that I heard what was going on in my mum and dads bedroom through the wall.Whatever happened I was always a strange kid.When I went to my primary school I hadn't been to Nursery.There were all these kids playing with sand, playing shops,and houses,aand I just stood in the middle of the classroom not knowing what to do.I was reliefed when sums and reading started.I could read but couldn't count.
In the playground I was one of the kids who was picked last for the footie,mainly because I hardly opened my mouth.In winter I just stood in a corner wishing it was all over, whilst the other kids made slides.
My first and second year passed without much incident,I got into the usual pecking order fights,my mum and dad would go to the parents evening and some teachers had a job placing me.They were told'he's extermly quiet,he lacks self confidence'.
4th year changed all that,Punk rock happened,I had found something that said it was ok to be weird.I made friends with other outsiders.I was getting in trouble.I had heard of Anarchism,I thought the system sucked;,that suited my outlook.I did fair to middleing at school,got some highers and a reputation for confrontation,non conformist.I was asked By one teacher what I was going to do once I left school?,I said 'I'll probably end up cleaning streets'.How prophetic was that?
I left school with three highers, but not good enought to get into uni,so the idea was to go to Stevenson,get further grades and then apply for Robert Gordon's.I spent the whole year skiving and dicovered hash.I left, spent three years on the dole and then got a job with the council cleaning streets.
In the mean time I discovered I was either gay/or bi.I absolutely hated the council and I numbed it all with hash and drink,and I saw my doctor who said'you're obviously suffering from low self esteem'and i was put on Peroxetine.
To cut a long story short,I spent the next few years either on the dole, on a YOP scheme or getting another course.I was a Care assistant and I was suffering panic attacks,anxiety and eventually full blown psychosis.
In 2004 I ended up in the Royal Ed having lost complete grip of reality.I spent about 6 months there,the first two weeks with my door open and a worker sitting outside incase I tried to finish it.
For anyone who hasn't experienced it,being on a locked ward being out of your mind was one of the worst experiences of my life,although just like One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest there was also moments of humour.
I was also put on Lagactil whilst I was there.It was then dropped in favour of Risperidone which I am still on.It took about 4 years to get back to 'normal' with another relapse over the Christmas of 2010,which lasted until, the February.
I have had a lot of support from my friends and family and dare I say it the Bounce.Hibs and the Hibs family are what keeps me sane-if a little weird.But I keep taking the Risperidone as a safety net,and just as importantly I gave up the hash.So sorry if this a bit long,but I wanted to share this with you.

I have suffered from mental health problems I think since i was a wee boy.I don't know exactly what triggered it.Maybe it was in my genes,maybe it was a traumatic event.I had a wee brother called Robert,he died in his cot.I think it may have been probable that I heard what was going on in my mum and dads bedroom through the wall.Whatever happened I was always a strange kid.When I went to my primary school I hadn't been to Nursery.There were all these kids playing with sand, playing shops,and houses,aand I just stood in the middle of the classroom not knowing what to do.I was reliefed when sums and reading started.I could read but couldn't count.
In the playground I was one of the kids who was picked last for the footie,mainly because I hardly opened my mouth.In winter I just stood in a corner wishing it was all over, whilst the other kids made slides.
My first and second year passed without much incident,I got into the usual pecking order fights,my mum and dad would go to the parents evening and some teachers had a job placing me.They were told'he's extermly quiet,he lacks self confidence'.
4th year changed all that,Punk rock happened,I had found something that said it was ok to be weird.I made friends with other outsiders.I was getting in trouble.I had heard of Anarchism,I thought the system sucked;,that suited my outlook.I did fair to middleing at school,got some highers and a reputation for confrontation,non conformist.I was asked By one teacher what I was going to do once I left school?,I said 'I'll probably end up cleaning streets'.How prophetic was that?
I left school with three highers, but not good enought to get into uni,so the idea was to go to Stevenson,get further grades and then apply for Robert Gordon's.I spent the whole year skiving and dicovered hash.I left, spent three years on the dole and then got a job with the council cleaning streets.
In the mean time I discovered I was either gay/or bi.I absolutely hated the council and I numbed it all with hash and drink,and I saw my doctor who said'you're obviously suffering from low self esteem'and i was put on Peroxetine.
To cut a long story short,I spent the next few years either on the dole, on a YOP scheme or getting another course.I was a Care assistant and I was suffering panic attacks,anxiety and eventually full blown psychosis.
In 2004 I ended up in the Royal Ed having lost complete grip of reality.I spent about 6 months there,the first two weeks with my door open and a worker sitting outside incase I tried to finish it.
For anyone who hasn't experienced it,being on a locked ward being out of your mind was one of the worst experiences of my life,although just like One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest there was also moments of humour.
I was also put on Lagactil whilst I was there.It was then dropped in favour of Risperidone which I am still on.It took about 4 years to get back to 'normal' with another relapse over the Christmas of 2010,which lasted until, the February.
I have had a lot of support from my friends and family and dare I say it the Bounce.Hibs and the Hibs family are what keeps me sane-if a little weird.But I keep taking the Risperidone as a safety net,and just as importantly I gave up the hash.So sorry if this a bit long,but I wanted to share this with you.
Amazing story. Sir. Thanks for sharing.
I shall write my story, and share. But its middle of night, I have one eye open reading/writing this. Just wanted tae reply.
One question mate, we both share a love of dance. I find it helps immensely, makes me smile, laugh just brilliant really.
Do you find the same?.

I find that unlikely but I guess it depends on the definition of 'better'. Fluoxetine has its place and will work for some folk. Maybe alcohol does work in an 'overall better' way in some cases but I imagine they're few and far between. More often I think it's a short term escape. And ultimately that's important too if someone just needs to get away from reality for a bit. 'Tis a complicated thing the human brain, if there was a magic pill to fix it it'd certainly do a roaring trade. In the meantime folk just have to find their own way through the options and there's no question that alcohol is one of those options, even if not necessarily a great one for long term results.

Last edited:
So onto my own story. We all have one and I hope I don't bore ye too much.
Born and bred on a hill farm. Not a sheep before some radge comes up wae that.
Middle child is there a syndrome?
Hard upbringing, worked from 7 years old.
Dad was a fair man, but a tough man.
Unfortunately I was one never to back off even at 7. So my childhood was occasionally somewhat physical.
My Dad was a great man, and later when going through his cancer, we heeled our conflict a magical moment and journey in my life.
The one thing we could always talk about was Hibernian FC.
How I wished he had seen us lift that cup.
Anyway guess even at that early stage, I think I was showing signs of anxiety and low self esteem.
Did alright at school, and went on to represent Scotland at under 18 level playing Rugby Union. Aged 15.
Though I guess I never stopped to enjoy the moment. Self esteem again. Never good enough.
So left school had no idea what to do, just not farming. So I joined the armed services. 45 commando Royal marines.
Genuinely had no idea what it was. Just joined.
Served in many places, saw conflict as well. Kinda addictive but scary all wrapped into one. It fucks with the mind though.
Spend ten years doing that, then had a accident losing part of my right hand.
It was probably then depression, anxiety started strongly. Became withdrawn and difficult to communicate with.
Saw Doctors and had councillors but with little effect.
Until one day I picked up a book "Don't sweat the small stuff" and I thought that's me.
So my journey with self anyalsis began.
Everyday I suffer anxiety, but I'm a expert at hiding it.
What I have learned is it passes, you just need to use what you have learned and hold on. It's feckin scary at times though.
I suffer also with Fibromyagia, pain everywhere in your body.
So I started Hillwaking very beneficial for one's state of mind and Fibromyagia. I have reduced symptoms and now give talks at local surgeries to newly diagnosed patients on how to live with it.
I have my symptoms everyday at some point. But I find if I rest, listen to my body, I get by.
I really have no answers just a bit of knowledge picked up along the way.
We are the masters of our own thoughts.
We can engage in self destruction. Or we can challange our own thoughts. I write most things down.
If you suffer or indeed if not, write down five things you are good at or like about yourself. Do it for a week and watch your confidence lift. It works.
One thing that is true is The Hibernian family. Being with like minded people.
I mean we all waited years for that cup win, never reprocate that. But the joy and pride we all shared, is something Celtic or Rangers fans will never know.
So my journey with mental health will continue. But I accept it and live the best way I can.
Good luck to my fellow sufferers.
Thank you for listening.

Unfortunately I was one never to back off even at 7. So my childhood was occasionally somewhat physical.
My Dad was a great man, and later when going through his cancer, we heeled our conflict a magical moment and journey in my life.
Anyway guess even at that early stage, I think I was showing signs of anxiety and low self esteem.
Did alright at school, and went on to represent Scotland at under 18 level playing Rugby Union. Aged 15.
Though I guess I never stopped to enjoy the moment. Self esteem again. Never good enough.
So left school had no idea what to do, just not farming. So I joined the armed services. 45 commando Royal marines.
Served in many places, saw conflict as well. Kinda addictive but scary all wrapped into one. It fucks with the mind though.
It was probably then depression, anxiety started strongly. Became withdrawn and difficult to communicate with.
Until one day I picked up a book "Don't sweat the small stuff" and I thought that's me.
What I have learned is it passes, you just need to use what you have learned and hold on. It's feckin scary at times though.
So I started Hillwaking very beneficial for one's state of mind and Fibromyagia. I have reduced symptoms and now give talks at local surgeries to newly diagnosed patients on how to live with it.
I have my symptoms everyday at some point. But I find if I rest, listen to my body, I get by.
We can engage in self destruction. Or we can challange our own thoughts. I write most things down.
If you suffer or indeed if not, write down five things you are good at or like about yourself. Do it for a week and watch your confidence lift. It works.
I mean we all waited years for that cup win, never reprocate that. But the joy and pride we all shared, is something Celtic or Rangers fans will never know.
So my journey with mental health will continue. But I accept it and live the best way I can.
Thank you for listening.
Thank you for sharing

Thank you for listening.
Great story my friend. The low points are low, but sometimes it makes you really appreciate the good times.

Amazing story. Sir. Thanks for sharing.
I shall write my story, and share. But its middle of night, I have one eye open reading/writing this. Just wanted tae reply.
One question mate, we both share a love of dance. I find it helps immensely, makes me smile, laugh just brilliant really.
Do you find the same?.
Big , big fan.!If I'd had my time over again that's what I would have done.My wee sister was taken along to a place called Madam Aida's dance school.I was taken along to Salveson's Boys Club.I knew within a few weeks I would never make the grade as a fitballer.If only I'd plucked up enough courage to say I wanted to go and dance,I could have made it. Now I go along to tap lessons really enjoy it but 50 years too late.

Big , big fan.!If I'd had my time over again that's what I would have done.My wee sister was taken along to a place called Madam Aida's dance school.I was taken along to Salveson's Boys Club.I knew within a few weeks I would never make the grade as a fitballer.If only I'd plucked up enough courage to say I wanted to go and dance,I could have made it. Now I go along to tap lessons really enjoy it but 50 years too late.
I share your love of it. My background would not suggest it. But love watching Gene Kelly a master. I came late tae dancing. I jive, or try to. Lovely folk and great fun. Think I may learn to waltz next.
I hear Shrink is dead keen also :lauff:

Citalopram seems to work for me,I have good days mixed with the occasional bad day or 2,thankfully the lows don't last as long or go as deep as they did.
Realised reasonably recently that I've pretty much always had depression/anxiety,it explains a lot from my past and how I perceive myself never had an ounce of confidence and always feel I'm never good enough,which is true but that might be a self fulfilling prophesy.
Luckily found an amazing woman who is the only person who sees the real me and I know she's the reason I'm still here.

Citalopram seems to work for me,I have good days mixed with the occasional bad day or 2,thankfully the lows don't last as long or go as deep as they did.
Realised reasonably recently that I've pretty much always had depression/anxiety,it explains a lot from my past and how I perceive myself never had an ounce of confidence and always feel I'm never good enough,which is true but that might be a self fulfilling prophesy.
Luckily found an amazing woman who is the only person who sees the real me and I know she's the reason I'm still here.
Thanks for sharing. We are all good enough my friend.

Mirtazapine was what done it for me.

This thread has been viewed 2639 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£28.75