• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

Strikes,Facts Figures Updates

Unison urged their members to accept a deal... the last deal the Scottish Government was offering (aye right).... its a 7% wage cut for me. The Unison team in my part of the NHS is a fucking disgrace.... and the, ahem, shop steward, is an ex miner frae Midlothian who went through the Strikes against Thatchers Government. Hes a wanker, and a gunt tae. Cheers Unison! you certainly did yer job..... on us workers!!!

The RCM in Scotland have voted to reject the latest pay offer in Scotland.

How much does your average registered nurse make? I looked ar fugures which were £26 73 per hour as a newbie and upwards. Is that correct. If it is I dont support a pay rise. I am a teammleader in residential care and can only dream of that kind of wage

How much does your average registered nurse make? I looked ar fugures which were £26 73 per hour as a newbie and upwards. Is that correct. If it is I dont support a pay rise. I am a teammleader in residential care and can only dream of that kind of wage
Just took a Google search Dave, claims its around average of 17 pound an hour 🤷🏼‍♂️

Attachments

• 1CDE50CB-B15C-44EE-A9A3-3FD47DE82FDA.png
    1CDE50CB-B15C-44EE-A9A3-3FD47DE82FDA.png
    419 KB · Views: 7
Nurses are not your enemy Steve Barclay and Richie Sunak are.Nurses are on their knees, there are not enough of them,doing too many hours in overcrowded hospitals and if they don't get a pay rise they are going to be worse off taking in inflation,the Tories could do two things,they could give everyone an above inflation pay rise or take action to bring down inflation which would involve cutting huge profits for big business and hitting share holders,something they are not prepaired to do because big business are either them or their friends and it's them that own the shares.But I've shown a course of action for the low paid,join a union and go on strike or forever live on your knees.

Sure I heard on the news that ambulanse personnel are on 11 pounds an hour, that can’t be right can it?

Sure I heard on the news that ambulanse personnel are on 11 pounds an hour, that can’t be right can it?
lol no chance , https://uk.indeed.com/career/paramedic/salaries/Scotland

Average over £33,000 per annum apparently

Average over £33,000 per annum apparently
£650 a week? Surely no?

Cheers Forza 👍, a little over 18 pounds an hour. That sounds more realistic.

Last edited:
Cheers Forza 👍, a little over 18 pounds an hour. That sounds more realistic.
Think minimum wage is around £10.50 at the moment , i'm not that far above it

Think minimum wage is around £10.50 at the moment , i'm not that far above it
It's less than that.
It goes up to £10.42 in April next year.

It's less than that.
It goes up to £10.42 in April next year.
it does indeed

A patient transporter gets about £17 thou a year,an EMT slightly more and a Paramedic with a Paramedic Degree gets around £35 thou.All drive ambulances.

A transporter could administer a sticking plaster a paramedic can save lives.

A patient transporter gets about £17 thou a year,an EMT slightly more and a Paramedic with a Paramedic Degree gets around £35 thou.All drive ambulances.
part time i assume ?? Average Scottish Ambulance Service Care Assistant yearly pay in Scotland is approximately £20,569, which is 9% above the national average.

Last edited:
So instead of clapping ambulance workers we're getting told they're overpaid.Great!

So instead of clapping ambulance workers we're getting told they're overpaid.Great!
Nobody said anything of the sort

Entry level Nurses are a grade 5. The top of that grade is £32k give of take a few cenny. Nurses you see around in the dark blue uniforms are usually Grade 7. The top of that grade is a smidge over £47k.

Nobody said anything of the sort
Davey did!

Davey did!
I'd say he thinks they get a good wage compared to him working i guess in a similar job

Davey did!
No he didn't, he said he didn't support the strike.

I'd say he thinks they get a good wage compared to him working i guess in a similar job
That’s how I read it as well.

An observation rather than a direct reply to you.

Last time I looked carers (all respect to them, my daughter is a carer) didn't need a degree to ply their profession as nurses do. These Grade 7s being discussed are expected to have shit loads of experience and a Masters degree!

Let's look at a newly qualified nurse and her pal graduating from university at the same time - say last year. The pal takes a job where pay isn't subject to political dogma.

They both start at around the median/average salary for a graduate in Scotland, around the £30,000 mark from what I can see from a brief Internet search.

Using the current differential between public and private sectors, as an example, the nurse will have lost around £1,500 in spending power this year.

Nurses, and other public sector workers, have had their wages suppressed by tory political dogma since they came to power 12 years ago.

Given the gap continues to grow, which path are the bright young people going to take in future?

It's not just a case of nurses getting more angry as they see their living standards being eroded. It's the bright young nurses of the future deciding a 24/7 shift system with declining rewards is crap and they move into a cozy 9 to 5 Monday to Friday job where their contribution is appreciated and well rewarded.

Nurses are not your enemy Steve Barclay and Richie Sunak are.Nurses are on their knees, there are not enough of them,doing too many hours in overcrowded hospitals and if they don't get a pay rise they are going to be worse off taking in inflation,the Tories could do two things,they could give everyone an above inflation pay rise or take action to bring down inflation which would involve cutting huge profits for big business and hitting share holders,something they are not prepaired to do because big business are either them or their friends and it's them that own the shares.But I've shown a course of action for the low paid,join a union and go on strike or forever live on your knees.
Businesses and right wing economists are of course famously huge fans of inflation.

Last time I looked carers (all respect to them, my daughter is a carer) didn't need a degree to ply their profession as nurses do. These Grade 7s being discussed are expected to have shit loads of experience and a Masters degree!

Let's look at a newly qualified nurse and her pal graduating from university at the same time - say last year. The pal takes a job where pay isn't subject to political dogma.

They both start at around the median/average salary for a graduate in Scotland, around the £30,000 mark from what I can see from a brief Internet search.

Using the current differential between public and private sectors, as an example, the nurse will have lost around £1,500 in spending power this year.

Nurses, and other public sector workers, have had their wages suppressed by tory political dogma since they came to power 12 years ago.

Given the gap continues to grow, which path are the bright young people going to take in future?

It's not just a case of nurses getting more angry as they see their living standards being eroded. It's the bright young nurses of the future deciding a 24/7 shift system with declining rewards is crap and they move into a cozy 9 to 5 Monday to Friday job where their contribution is appreciated and well rewarded.
I think nurses deserve every penny they get what bugs me a bit is "some of our members can't afford to put petrol in their cars to come to work " kind of thing plus perks like blue light cards aren't mentioned . Lots of people who earn a lot less seem to manage though and we're worse off too

I think nurses deserve every penny they get what bugs me a bit is "some of our members can't afford to put petrol in their cars to come to work " kind of thing plus perks like blue light cards aren't mentioned . Lots of people who earn a lot less seem to manage though and we're worse off too
In many ways I suspect nurses grow into their salary the same way as we all do, things like maxing out your mortgage to get the best house you can afford at that time. Leaving aside the extra hundreds of pounds each month they need to cover that this year there's the £1,500 in the example above they've 'lost' when trying to fill their tank.

I'm also wondering if these are graduate nurses that can't afford this or that in these discussions or is it nurses before graduation, earning much less, and/or union members who are not nurses. Nurses are represented by unions other than the RCN if I recall correctly and these unions represent all sorts of NHS roles.

In many ways I suspect nurses grow into their salary the same way as we all do, things like maxing out your mortgage to get the best house you can afford at that time. Leaving aside the extra hundreds of pounds each month they need to cover that this year there's the £1,500 in the example above they've 'lost' when trying to fill their tank.

I'm also wondering if these are graduate nurses that can't afford this or that in these discussions or is it nurses before graduation, earning much less, and/or union members who are not nurses. Nurses are represented by unions other than the RCN if I recall correctly and these unions represent all sorts of NHS roles.
Only difference is that theyre in a strong position to do something about it

What's interesting is the unions *are* getting above inflation pay increases from larger private sector employers. As I said previously I've no doubt that the UK Tory government are using these strikes to gain political advantage.

You only need to watch the BBC coverage and the silence from Labour to see it's possibly working. Indeed working that this Tory government is disregarding calls from a lot of other ex Tory cabinet members/backbenchers for a better pay offer. Indeed I see lower paid workers (such as care workers) looking at these strikes and being envious of the strikers current pay & conditions compared to theirs....

You'd think both the media and Labour would be with relentless enthusiasm and gusto pointing out that the UK government are refusing to even sit down and talk with the unions. And that the RCN for example offered to call off their strike if the UK government did accept talks!! The UK government should be ridiculed and given public humiliation for refusing to do so. It pisses me off that unchallenged these Tory ministers can say on telly etc "it was the independent pay review that set the offer". Was it fuck! There's SFA about it that's independent!! They set the parameters.

With tens of thousands of vacancies in the NHS where is that budget? Why couldn't the UK government use that money and offer a one off Cost of Living Bonus?

Last edited:
Davey did!
No i never..i said nursss seem to be on a decent wage compaed to care workers

I actually expected a lot more flak than I got so far. I agree nurses should be well paid. But everything is not black and white. I threw the wage that I read out mostly that others could say if these figures were a true reflection. Now I give you that nurses do degrees. I also agree they are trained for particular tasks that carers do not carry out. and possibly can conduct medical practices a carer would not be expected to. They also, if working in A&E in particular have to put up with all manners of injuries, abuse and violent behaviour. So I will just highlight a couple of things.

Degree/qualifications: That they deserve more than a carer I am not disputing, however as I pointed out if they are currently on 27-31 pound an hour then to me it looks like they already get up to 3 times more than the carer on minimum wage of which there are thousands. So my thought then is, should they get even more, or should we also be pleading the plight of carers...and many other industries.
Carers also participate in SVQ and HNC, some do have degrees but are not paid extra as there is no requirement to have a degree for most positions. They also have to undergo online and in person training throughout the year and pay their own subscription to the SSSC.

Work: Nursing will have plenty variances depending on what ward you are in, the type of patients you have and dealing with the public. If you are lucky you will be on a non emergency ward with routine duties.
As a social care worker this is also the case. You may work in a setting where you get out and about a lot with clients, the clients may have low to medium care needs and on a regular shift pattern. Others are not so lucky, they may be in care homes with dementia affected clients, clients who hit out at carers or smear their faeces on walls and clothes. Family who are downright rude to staff and often aggressive. Shift work that has very little pattern due to staffing issues, with double shifts a regular occurence. Some places allow carers food, which helps save some of the low wages, others do not. I am one of the lucky ones and also can make up wages by doing sleepovers, but not all places do this. Most care in the community workers, as I have done, work from 7am till 11pm with a couple of hours break in the afternoon and have zero perks unless a kindly client offers them a cup of tea and a biscuit. Carers worked all through the pandemic, some virtually locking themselves in care homes to reduce outside contact. I had to sleep two nights in a row and work shifts on either side of that.

It would be remiss and silly of me to compare jobs as both are highly varied but I was merely asking the question, and pointing out if a nurse on £30 an hour is feeling the pinch and struggling to pay for their food/accommodation and family then how much more the carer on minimum wage doing often a very similar role. We take full responsibility for clients personal care, food, clothing, bedding, outings, care plans, risk assessments, meds and as I said often put up with very disgruntled or rude family members. I have worked with people who have had or with learning disabilities, musculour sclerosis, dementia, Parkinsons, blood clots, heart attacks, weight issues, catheters, stoma bags etc I have used various hoists, stand aids, conveyor hoists that move from one room to another. Had to change bandages and apply creams etc. Very often the home carer is seen on TV nipping into someone's house to make them a cup of tea and bowl of soup. I am in care at home at the moment by the way. There was a good programme on last year with a politician (forget his name) which brought some credibility to the showing of the work of carers.

Anyway hope that clears up what my point was. By the way I have NEVER seen or heard of social care workers talk about strikes, most are not even in unions as they see little point being as the social care industry is packed full of independent agencies and only perhaps those who work from the council or NHS would have the clout to strike

Yes and perhaps a look at the bigger picture would bring issues to light. For many people renting a house is not easy. If they can get council or housing association that is usually preferable (depending on where it is) but there are not enough social housing for all and many landlords take ridiculous rents. But that aside we would have to look at what people mean by not being able to afford things. Here is a list of "things"

rent/mortgage
family/children
utility bills/council tax
clothes
vehicle
holidays
nights out/meals out
weekend away/caravan etc
furnishings
luxury items electrical

That is a fairly modest list but what each of us spend on these things might vary massively. For example some people pay £70 for sky/virgin or whatever. I have freeview and pay £19 a month for broadband. Expensive phone contracts versus a phone for around £100 with a tenner top up monthly
A visit to Pizza hut or a slap up meal at an expensive returant
Heating a one bed flat or a 4 bedroom detached house.
vauxhall corsa or a 4x4 fuel guzzler
Parking charges around hospitals versus none

We all feel the pinch, some more than others, but the bigger question is what we do with our wages.

I actually expected a lot more flak than I got so far. I agree nurses should be well paid. But everything is not black and white. I threw the wage that I read out mostly that others could say if these figures were a true reflection. Now I give you that nurses do degrees. I also agree they are trained for particular tasks that carers do not carry out. and possibly can conduct medical practices a carer would not be expected to. They also, if working in A&E in particular have to put up with all manners of injuries, abuse and violent behaviour. So I will just highlight a couple of things.

Degree/qualifications: That they deserve more than a carer I am not disputing, however as I pointed out if they are currently on 27-31 pound an hour then to me it looks like they already get up to 3 times more than the carer on minimum wage of which there are thousands. So my thought then is, should they get even more, or should we also be pleading the plight of carers...and many other industries.
Carers also participate in SVQ and HNC, some do have degrees but are not paid extra as there is no requirement to have a degree for most positions. They also have to undergo online and in person training throughout the year and pay their own subscription to the SSSC.

Work: Nursing will have plenty variances depending on what ward you are in, the type of patients you have and dealing with the public. If you are lucky you will be on a non emergency ward with routine duties.
As a social care worker this is also the case. You may work in a setting where you get out and about a lot with clients, the clients may have low to medium care needs and on a regular shift pattern. Others are not so lucky, they may be in care homes with dementia affected clients, clients who hit out at carers or smear their faeces on walls and clothes. Family who are downright rude to staff and often aggressive. Shift work that has very little pattern due to staffing issues, with double shifts a regular occurence. Some places allow carers food, which helps save some of the low wages, others do not. I am one of the lucky ones and also can make up wages by doing sleepovers, but not all places do this. Most care in the community workers, as I have done, work from 7am till 11pm with a couple of hours break in the afternoon and have zero perks unless a kindly client offers them a cup of tea and a biscuit. Carers worked all through the pandemic, some virtually locking themselves in care homes to reduce outside contact. I had to sleep two nights in a row and work shifts on either side of that.

It would be remiss and silly of me to compare jobs as both are highly varied but I was merely asking the question, and pointing out if a nurse on £30 an hour is feeling the pinch and struggling to pay for their food/accommodation and family then how much more the carer on minimum wage doing often a very similar role. We take full responsibility for clients personal care, food, clothing, bedding, outings, care plans, risk assessments, meds and as I said often put up with very disgruntled or rude family members. I have worked with people who have had or with learning disabilities, musculour sclerosis, dementia, Parkinsons, blood clots, heart attacks, weight issues, catheters, stoma bags etc I have used various hoists, stand aids, conveyor hoists that move from one room to another. Had to change bandages and apply creams etc. Very often the home carer is seen on TV nipping into someone's house to make them a cup of tea and bowl of soup. I am in care at home at the moment by the way. There was a good programme on last year with a politician (forget his name) which brought some credibility to the showing of the work of carers.

Anyway hope that clears up what my point was. By the way I have NEVER seen or heard of social care workers talk about strikes, most are not even in unions as they see little point being as the social care industry is packed full of independent agencies and only perhaps those who work from the council or NHS would have the clout to strike
Good points all. It is a grey area today - perhaps has always been. And with the average lifespan increasing come more stresses on carers.

I don't (yet) have any direct involvement but a time will come and society at large would do well to keep their eye on the ball.

I have a mate in Glasgow who is a carer and life is no bowl of cherries for him but he does it willingly. But knowing him, I worry for his mental health in the long run.

Are we just gonna chase dosh forever or will the realisation that there are plenty resources for all if enjoyment of life was a worthy goal instead somehow prevail?

Good luck Davy, sorry I can't put it better after a couple of beers.

Yes and perhaps a look at the bigger picture would bring issues to light. For many people renting a house is not easy. If they can get council or housing association that is usually preferable (depending on where it is) but there are not enough social housing for all and many landlords take ridiculous rents. But that aside we would have to look at what people mean by not being able to afford things. Here is a list of "things"

rent/mortgage
family/children
utility bills/council tax
clothes
vehicle
holidays
nights out/meals out
weekend away/caravan etc
furnishings
luxury items electrical

That is a fairly modest list but what each of us spend on these things might vary massively. For example some people pay £70 for sky/virgin or whatever. I have freeview and pay £19 a month for broadband. Expensive phone contracts versus a phone for around £100 with a tenner top up monthly
A visit to Pizza hut or a slap up meal at an expensive returant
Heating a one bed flat or a 4 bedroom detached house.
vauxhall corsa or a 4x4 fuel guzzler
Parking charges around hospitals versus none

We all feel the pinch, some more than others, but the bigger question is what we do with our wages.
So just cut our cloth and accept no or a shit wage rise because the Government are incompetent and corrupt?

What we do with our wages is fcuk all to do with it.

So just cut our cloth and accept no or a shit wage rise because the Government are incompetent and corrupt?

What we do with our wages is fcuk all to do with it.
But who has the shit wage? Nurses? Social care workers? Both? And what we do with our wages does bear some reflection if we say we cannot eat or pay bills. Are we living within out means or talking about luxury items? Not saying we should have none, but if we do have plenty then I question why people cannot buy food.

I'll pick these parts as I feel I've already answered the rest adequately before the question was posed.

Carers also participate in SVQ and HNC, some do have degrees but are not paid extra as there is no requirement to have a degree for most positions.
My understanding is that when carers get SVQ and HNC they can apply for more senior and therefore better paid roles. It's the route my daughter has gone down.

As for having a degree and not getting paid extra I'm not sure there's many jobs where a graduate would get paid more if the job didn't require it.
and pointing out if a nurse on £30 an hour
£32,000 a year, nurses starting salary is around £17 an hour depending on the the number of hours for an exact figure. £30 an hour is close to £60,000 a year, that's more than any nurse in Scotland earns apparently apart from those at the very top.

I'd love carers to be paid more. Unless you're prepared to take some Moaty style action your employer is going to take advantage, there's lots of jobs where the workforce is scattered around the equivalent of independent agencies and are unionised.

Last edited:
I'll pick these parts as I feel I've already answered the rest adequately before the question was posed.

My understanding is that when carers get SVQ and HNC they can apply for more senior and therefore better paid roles. It's the route my daughter has gone down.

As for having a degree and not getting paid extra I'm not sure there's many jobs where a graduate would get paid more if the job didn't require it.

£32,000 a year, nurses starting salary is around £17 an hour depending on the the number of hours for an exact figure. £30 an hour is close to £60,000 a year, that's more than any nurse in Scotland earns apparently.

I'd love carers to be paid more. Unless you're prepared to take some Moaty style action your employer is going to take advantage, there's lots of jobs where the workforce is scattered around the equivalent of independent agencies and are unionised.
32 grand a year , i'd be delighted to earn such an amount though obviously i dont do a job as important as nursing so its never gonna happen but i'll keep going as what else can you do ?

32 grand a year , i'd be delighted to earn such an amount though obviously i dont do a job as important as nursing so its never gonna happen but i'll keep going as what else can you do ?
Where's the 32K nurses starting salary figure come from? Cause it's not true.

Indeed. We'll all do the best we can with the tools (experience, qualifications etc.) we have at our disposal.

In my experience your employer doesn't really give a shit about you, there's plenty more out there that will replace you when you're gone.

There are very few good employers out there that will reward loyalty in the opposite way that some employees seem to think they are irreplaceable and won't move on 'because the company needs me'.

Where's the 32K nurses starting salary figure come from? Cause it's not true.
You're right. It was maybe on here I saw it or the media. Here is a quote from a reputable source ...

Fully qualified nurses start on salaries of £24,907 rising to £30,615 on Band 5 of the NHS Agenda for Change pay rates.

So a graduate nurse is already down roughly 20% on their graduate peers.

This thread has been viewed 30511 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£28.75