• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

Lost Edinburgh pubs/clubs

Done all of these.

The Yellow Carvel was the only one I made an official appearance at - naked!

They tried for an encore at Fire Island but I respectively turned them down!!

Occasionally ventured into Outer Limits in the early 80's and went into the Venue a few times. Always a total racket every time you went past the place when there was a band on with the fag smoke belching out the door. I used to work in Argyle House back in the 80's and the very handily located Lord Darnley was just over the road which soon became Cas Rock...a great venue.

There are plenty clubs/pubs that have come and gone. It just goes to show nothing is permanent. I think the reality it these places only last a few years. Some of the premises remain and change owner and name, some are obliterated off the map. Valentino's was an interesting place, no longer there. What was place at Abbyhill, used to be a picture house, Astoria maybe ? Then it was a live music club then the Cat's Pyjamas. Now a car dealership.

There are plenty clubs/pubs that have come and gone. It just goes to show nothing is permanent. I think the reality it these places only last a few years. Some of the premises remain and change owner and name, some are obliterated off the map. Valentino's was an interesting place, no longer there. What was place at Abbyhill, used to be a picture house, Astoria maybe ? Then it was a live music club then the Cat's Pyjamas. Now a car dealership.

think Abbeyhill one was the Astoria

details of plenty old venues on this site The Edinburgh Gig Archive - Welcome

I was a part time barman for a while in the Cas Rock circa 1997, I quit cos the manager wouldn't give me the afternoon off to attend the Hibs Airdrie play off match, saturday afternoons were a busy time in there with the Rab Howat band playing.

La Sorbonne should be in there.

Green Tree RIP

Green Tree RIP
Talk about a double take! For a second I thought you were lamenting the demise of the towns biggest loyalist / BNP / kkk / Csf cowp. Then I realised you mean the one in the cowgate not the one in gorgie :giggle:

Talk about a double take! For a second I thought you were lamenting the demise of the towns biggest loyalist / BNP / kkk / Csf cowp. Then I realised you mean the one in the cowgate not the one in gorgie :giggle:

Ha - I'd forgotten wee fatty's place used to have the same name :popcorn3:

i did off course mean the cowgate one - it was a logical graduation from sneaky's and the kasbah in my day, what they built in its place is like pissin on a grave....:pullhair:

i did off course mean the cowgate one - it was a logical graduation from sneaky's and the kasbah in my day, what they built in its place is like pissin on a grave....:pullhair:

Indeed. One of the few decent beer gardens in the toon an aw.

The abercorn on Portobello road . Mistys in porty high street. Bobby McGees in rose street lane . Good times in ma yoof !!

Before the wee fat striker got into the game there was mackays centre sport which must have suffered more bombardments than London during the blitz!

- - - Updated - - -

Talking of footballers pubs there was willie irvine's (iirc) blithe spirit.

Mistys in porty high street.

became Le Vineyard then the East Coast Hibs Supporters Club for a bit, now retirement flats.

St Andrews chippy over the road still there

Porty has changed a lot, become the new Islington.

The abercorn on Portobello road . Mistys in porty high street. Bobby McGees in rose street lane . Good times in ma yoof !!

good shout, my first venture as an underager (15) intae the world of adult discos

:ura:

good shout, my first venture as an underager (15) intae the world of adult discos

:ura:

ma mates worked the door, so NEVER paid tae get in . Also " the pub" roond the corner in rose street precinct.

became Le Vineyard then the East Coast Hibs Supporters Club for a bit, now retirement flats.

St Andrews chippy over the road still there

Porty has changed a lot, become the new Islington.

what about the plough inn , potty high street ? Or McArthurs near top o kings road .

ma mates worked the door, so NEVER paid tae get in . Also " the pub" roond the corner in rose street precinct.

was that number 37 the pub :hmmm

another numerically themed easy access boozer was the auld hundred though i was 16 by this point :giggle:

what about the plough inn , potty high street ? Or McArthurs near top o kings road .

The Plough is now the palm tree - done up the beer garden and serve "caribbean street food" - various skateboards on the walls - think its the same people that have the lioness that have it. Had to make a swift exit last Friday across the road to Foresters as the "pre-club music" was getting toooo loud and too shite!

McArthurs is now a house - Breadshare is the old Indian restaraunt next door

Last edited:

another numerically themed easy access boozer was the auld hundred though i was 16 by this point :giggle:

The 37 Bar "Robertsons" was further along towards St Andrews Square. I worked there for a few years in the early 80s, among other things the SNP hierarchy drank there on a Friday night. On a more Hibby related theme so did Jimmy O'Rourke after he had taken training with the youngsters, had many a good chat. Can't remember the name of the guy that came in with him.

The 'pub' mentioned was possibly The Galloping Major. Named after a retired Major chap called Major Skene who was virtually the opposite type of person of the type pub it was. He was very straight laced and posh ... but he did drive a 2.8 Ford Capri in the wonderful black JPS colours.

Mr Mustard's and Gatsby's...both in South St Andrew's Street

Lord Toms, Xanadu, Magnolias Peach, Styx, Finsbury Park...many a shan disco pub in those days!

The standing joke with the bouncers was that if you didnt arrive with your own dettol and scrubbing brush they could sell said items to you :wink:

The 37 Bar "Robertsons" was further along towards St Andrews Square. I worked there for a few years in the early 80s, among other things the SNP hierarchy drank there on a Friday night. On a more Hibby related theme so did Jimmy O'Rourke after he had taken training with the youngsters, had many a good chat. Can't remember the name of the guy that came in with him.

The 'pub' mentioned was possibly The Galloping Major. Named after a retired Major chap called Major Skene who was virtually the opposite type of person of the type pub it was. He was very straight laced and posh ... but he did drive a 2.8 Ford Capri in the wonderful black JPS colours.

I'd completely forgotten about that one.

The Pub was great in the 80's - always managed to get a carload together to go through from Stirling, busy even on a Monday, how many places are like that these days ?

great shout mate . Frequented both on a Friday and Saturday before going along to McGees .

gatsbys i couldnae get passed the bouncers, it was meant tae be hoochin anaw :doh

mustards was another nightmare tae get in but i did manage it one quiet sunday night efter a celtc cup game thru in the weege, 'my generation' on the jukebox if anyone on here can mind :rascal:

the boy that ran the place (known as ahmed but i dinnae ken if that was his real name) infamous mantra was "too many CC no" :laff:

oh aye and sinatras in st james centre can anyone mind that :raisehat:

- - - Updated - - -

The standing joke with the bouncers was that if you didnt arrive with your own dettol and scrubbing brush they could sell said items to you :wink:

funnily enough it was a hertz fan pal of mines who i'd go in there wi and it was full of the gorgie tramps so what you wrote makes sense :laff:

gatsbys i couldnae get passed the bouncers, it was meant tae be hoochin anaw :doh

mustards was another nightmare tae get in but i did manage it one quiet sunday night efter a celtc cup game thru in the weege, 'my generation' on the jukebox if anyone on here can mind :rascal:

the boy that ran the place (known as ahmed but i dinnae ken if that was his real name) infamous mantra was "too many CC no" :laff:

oh aye and sinatras in st james centre can anyone mind that :raisehat:

- - - Updated - - -
I mind Sinatras and also have vague memories of something in Waverley market though I can't remember if that was actually a boozer or some hair dressers or xile or summat pretending to be a club. Either way it was gash iirc.

I mind Sinatras and also have vague memories of something in Waverley market though I can't remember if that was actually a boozer or some hair dressers or xile or summat pretending to be a club. Either way it was gash iirc.

i can mind of a open fronted bar on the ground floor there and aye it was gash but in the heady days of bein barred fae everywhere else there was the mutual acceptance that the place needed punters so we managed tae fill it rapidly

i can mind of a open fronted bar on the ground floor there and aye it was gash but in the heady days of bein barred fae everywhere else there was the mutual acceptance that the place needed punters so we managed tae fill it rapidly

what could beat the ambience of standing amongst shuttered tourist and cheap fashion tat shops under skull piercing neon lighting while listening to someone playing k-klass on a tranny!

what could beat the ambience of standing amongst shuttered tourist and cheap fashion tat shops under skull piercing neon lighting while listening to someone playing k-klass on a tranny!

:laff: indeed, it was the ultimate saturday evening leisure experience

Anyone remember the Engine Room, down a wee lane off Queensferry Street? 1980s. It's now the German Beer Cellar or something like that.

Used to have a reputation for hot and cold running nurses! Barmaids were rather nice too.

Cafe Noir? It was rubbish.

The Chameleon (Abercrombie place)
Valentinos and The Muscular Arms (West Port)
Aquarius* (Grindlay Street)

Happy days.
:approve:

Met the missus there though so nothing comes without a price.
:glassraise:

Cafe Noir? It was rubbish.

Thars the one - I would never have remembered that!

Other pubs and clubs randomly springing to mind;

Oblomovs, acanthus, penguin cafe, kangaroo club, odd fellows.

I also remember the stakis steak house weirdly being a venue for underage drinking

Lord Toms, Xanadu, Magnolias Peach, Styx, Finsbury Park...many a shan disco pub in those days!

Loved Lord Tom's aged 16!

Working and quafing daily, after early, back and night shifts, whilst working in Leith Docks 1970-1991, the following were at one point or another all frequented. I'm sure I have missed some.

The Jungle
- now the Kings Wark

The Golden Hind - now the something or other, at Burns statue Bernard street. First boozer to get a bevvy after the night shift.

The Corn Exchange
- gone

Mother Aitken's - gone

The Moray Arms - gone

Billy's Bar - gone

The Coburg Bar - Mentalist Edinburgh Loyalists/UDA. All things King Billy and Rangers on the walls. A guy who worked with me was the son in law of the owner Laidlaw. I used to go in with my Hibs top on as I didn't give a fuck in thoses days - gone

The Copper Bowl
(Jimmy Kane, Kano's auld man had it. (now yet another poncey place with food)

Caledonia Bar (Peter Simons) - gone

The Drawbridge (next to the Jungle at the Shore) - gone

The Spiral - gone

The Vintage - gone

The North British Bar
- gone

The New Dock Tevern - gone

The Angel - gone

The Dolphin - gone

The Black Bull
- gone

Coopers Rest - gone

Shades- gone

Bonnington Toll - gone

Mr Smith's - gone

The Trade Winds
- gone

Skivvy's Bar - gone

The demise of many of the above followed in the wake of the demise of the Docks and the industry within it.

BIG G

Tiffanys in St Stephens Street. Never used it as a night club, but did see a few good band there from around 77-80.

Some good ones in here.

I started working in The Black Bull in The Grassmarket as 15 year old pot washer and got to know the staff in the various pubs around there when my confidence improved.Of the ones no longer there, Cas Rock and St Elmos stand out, but I'm sure there's more.

Oblomov and OddFellows...both bring back some really good memories.

The Preservation Halls isn't a pub anymore is it?

Here's a facebook page dedicated to Edinburgh pubs... https://www.facebook.com/EdinburghPubHistory?fref=nf

Working and quafing daily, after early, back and night shifts, whilst working in Leith Docks 1970-1991, the following were at one point or another all frequented. I'm sure I have missed some.

The Corn Exchange[/B]
Used to drink in there after nightshift in the early 90s, or the Boundary Bar, or the Phoenix. Only the last is still standing. I don't think I've been into the gaffe that the Boundary turned into.

The Jungle
- now the Kings Wark

The Golden Hind - now the something or other, at Burns statue Bernard street. First boozer to get a bevvy after the night shift.

The Corn Exchange
- gone

Mother Aitken's - gone

The Moray Arms - gone

Billy's Bar - gone

The Coburg Bar - Mentalist Edinburgh Loyalists/UDA. All things King Billy and Rangers on the walls. A guy who worked with me was the son in law of the owner Laidlaw. I used to go in with my Hibs top on as I didn't give a $#@! in thoses days - gone

The Copper Bowl
(Jimmy Kane, Kano's auld man had it. (now yet another poncey place with food)

Caledonia Bar (Peter Simons) - gone

The Drawbridge (next to the Jungle at the Shore) - gone

The Spiral - gone

The Vintage - gone

The North British Bar
- gone

The New Dock Tevern - gone

The Angel - gone

The Dolphin - gone

The Black Bull
- gone

Coopers Rest - gone

Shades- gone

Bonnington Toll - gone

Mr Smith's - gone

The Trade Winds
- gone

Skivvy's Bar - gone

The demise of many of the above followed in the wake of the demise of the Docks and the industry within it.

BIG G
The Laidlaw guy you mention who had the Coburg , well his laddie , Calvin Laidlaw was at school with me , and he had the volley for quite a few years G .
Useless information a ken , but it brings back memories . :rascal:

This thread has been viewed 25276 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£47.50