• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

Lost Edinburgh pubs/clubs

I mind Sinatras and also have vague memories of something in Waverley market though I can't remember if that was actually a boozer or some hair dressers or xile or summat pretending to be a club. Either way it was gash iirc.

The Wharf I think it was called, used to frequent it a bit, no idea why..

I should have known that considering I used to be in The Citrus every week. Was a total under-age joint as well as you allude to above!

Going to stick my neck out and say that "Sinatra's" was the name of the mysterious bar/club in the middle of St James Centre. Does that ring any bells with anyone?

I think it was Sinatras and also the Spot. Might Sinatras not be the original name before it was Boston Bean?, or am I talking shite. It'll no be the first time :giggle:

I think it was Sinatras and also the Spot. Might Sinatras not be the original name before it was Boston Bean?, or am I talking $#@!e. It'll no be the first time :giggle:

I'm fairly sure Sinatras was round the back of the St James centre...you had to go up that side road as if you were trying to get to the bus station and it was on the right hand side, part of the St James Centre complex. I remember going to a few parties there in the mid 80's. The Boston Bean Company was the American style pub on the right hand side as you were going in to the St James Centre. I always quite liked it to be honest.

- - - Updated - - -

An obvious two..

The Albion Bar and the Loch Inn. Both big Hibs pubs very close to ER and the Albion Bar has gone completely replaced by some grocery store and the Loch Inn has been boarded up for a long time now and shows no sign of re-opening.

Top O's or whatever it was called is now the Citrus Club I think.

went to a few 18ths in there when I was about 16

Taste started in The Citrus too.

That place The Wharf, can mind a few 18th parties in there...Emma Ward etc. Good times :-)

I
An obvious two..

The Albion Bar and the Loch Inn. Both big Hibs pubs very close to ER and the Albion Bar has gone completely replaced by some grocery store and the Loch Inn has been boarded up for a long time now and shows no sign of re-opening.

Think The Loch Inn is getting a refit just now

I'm fairly sure Sinatras was round the back of the St James centre...you had to go up that side road as if you were trying to get to the bus station and it was on the right hand side, part of the St James Centre complex. I remember going to a few parties there in the mid 80's. The Boston Bean Company was the American style pub on the right hand side as you were going in to the St James Centre. I always quite liked it to be honest.

- - - Updated - - -[/
An obvious two..

Cheers, what about the Spot? I keep thinking this was up in the middle of St J's

started drinking in the old chain pier back in the late sixties, went in a couple o' years ago, changed beyond a' recognition. worked in the Taurian in torphichen street, the wee windaes in the high street and the Duke o' Wellie in duke st. back in the late seventies and early eighties. A' gone now I believe. ahh, memories.

started drinking in the old chain pier back in the late sixties, went in a couple o' years ago, changed beyond a' recognition. worked in the Taurian in torphichen street, the wee windaes in the high street and the Duke o' Wellie in duke st. back in the late seventies and early eighties. A' gone now I believe. ahh, memories.

Now that brings back memories. I used to drink there on the occasional Friday, it had it's moments. There used to be a piano near the front door and my mate used to play and sing batchelor boy at random moments and for no apparent reason. It could get a bit edgy in the back where the pool table was.

I was bar manager at the Scottie from about 98-01 - ever drink in there?
Not been in there since 95, always preferred Broadfields.

I was bar manager at the Scottie from about 98-01 - ever drink in there?

drank in Scottie manys a time as i stayed in craigentinny . Also the elwyn .

Anyone mention the Penny Black yet? Home of the shift worker, ravers, gangsters, stoners, travellers, early morning risers and 3 day benders. Some joint that one.

There used to be a pub on Montrose Terrace, it seems to be a cafe now, "Just The Ticket". Does anybody remember what that was called ? I remember drinking in there early 80s, and The Regent Buffet. My goodness, The Regent Buffet has changed a bit :shock:

There used to be a pub on Montrose Terrace, it seems to be a cafe now, "Just The Ticket". Does anybody remember what that was called ? I remember drinking in there early 80s, and The Regent Buffet. My goodness, The Regent Buffet has changed a bit :shock:

the terrace , as i recall .

Haha, that's a few doors up from my house. When I was a lad, it was called The Stag and Turret, or as us young wags called it "The Gagging Furrit". The Regent has now replaced it as Abbeyhill's "gay friendly" boozer. There's even lube in the gents bogs.

The Regent has now replaced it as Abbeyhill's "gay friendly" boozer. There's even lube in the gents bogs.

I discovered that after I wandered in there for a pint a couple of years ago.

the terrace , as i recall .

Yep...the Terrace Inn it was called.
Run by Jackie McNamara and Ralph Callachan when I used to drink there in the 80's

Yep...the Terrace Inn it was called.
Run by Jackie McNamara and Ralph Callachan when I used to drink there in the 80's

Sort of related but I seem to remember that Pat Stanton worked in The Regent, I'm sure he was behind the bar a few times when I was there, '81.

Also, was there another pub, a really small place further down Abbey Mount ?

Sort of related but I seem to remember that Pat Stanton worked in The Regent, I'm sure he was behind the bar a few times when I was there, '81.

Also, was there another pub, a really small place further down Abbey Mount ?

Underneath the railway bridge? I used to meet my brother there. Can't remember the name. No wonder it closed. It was always empty.

Or maybe they just knew I was coming in. :hmmm

Underneath the railway bridge? I used to meet my brother there. Can't remember the name. No wonder it closed. It was always empty.

Or maybe they just knew I was coming in. :hmmm

Aye, I think so. I thought Pat Stanton owned that pub. It's all very hazy though.

Aye, I think so. I thought Pat Stanton owned that pub. It's all very hazy though.

He did, was it Cairns Bar mibbes?

The Clan Tavern/Cabbage and Ribs!

At the risk of being pedantic, it was The Tap o' Lauriston :Sparkle_Cool:
Art students one side, locals the other.

A few of my mates and I were having a discussion like this one in the pub during the week.

Has there ever been a 'Hole in the Wall' pub in Edinburgh?

We all seemed to remember it but none of us could remember where!

Some of us remembered one in Glasgow, Musselburgh, somewhere in the Borders, Hawick???, and one somewhere in Englandshire, we tied that one down :giggle:

Damned if we could remember where the Edinburgh was.

There's one in Falkirk where wee Latas used to hold court frequently. Never heard of one in Edinburgh.

This mix up about a club in St James Centre, Are youz mibbes talking about 'Top O The Walk'? The club up on the roof of the St James hmmm and mixing it up with 'Sinatras' that was round the back.

Anyways 'Finsbury Park' (formerly 'Gatsbys') was always a good night oot :banana:

There's one in Falkirk where wee Latas used to hold court frequently. Never heard of one in Edinburgh.

Went there after Kevin McCallisters testimonial. I was designated driver and thought it would be a quick pint. [MENTION=337]tricky[/MENTION] and [MENTION=1342]hibadelic[/MENTION] thought differently and 4 hours later we're in the other pub owned by the same guy. :boxing:

Went there after Kevin McCallisters testimonial. I was designated driver and thought it would be a quick pint. [MENTION=337]tricky[/MENTION] and [MENTION=1342]hibadelic[/MENTION] thought differently and 4 hours later we're in the other pub owned by the same guy. :boxing:

Never did thank you for the lift home. I'm sure our quality chat made up for that mind.

There used to be a pub at the west end of rose street called The Rose Revived. I can't remember exactly where it was . Anyone know what it is now. i thought maybe Dirty Dicks pub:dunno:

There used to be a pub at the west end of rose street called The Rose Revived. I can't remember exactly where it was . Anyone know what it is now. i thought maybe Dirty Dicks pub:dunno:

I think you're right re Dirty Dicks.

First regular under age pub was The Willie Muir just off West Granton Road. Up town was The Waterloo at the east end of Princes St which was so full of under age drinkers that the rumour was you would get served if you hid your dummy!
Weirdest pub had to be The Merrymaker in Leith, topless gogo dancers and either a panther or black puma behind the bar. It had a cage but was sometimes it was let out on a lead. Cant remember the year but we would go in after signing on at the Shore. I would guess somewhere between 1973-77.
The big cat actually attacked a women and the owner had to get rid of it (thats the cat, not the women).

reminded by the topkapi/samsuns thread

staggers - corner of fountainbridge and west tollcross another great under age venue back then, friday night discos and my first memory of an alcho-pop (though they werenae called that then) castaways, some wine and juice fizzy number

reminded by the topkapi/samsuns thread

staggers - corner of fountainbridge and west tollcross another great under age venue back then, friday night discos and my first memory of an alcho-pop (though they werenae called that then) castaways, some wine and juice fizzy number

Staggers!!! FFS man you're dredging them up now. Did you ever frequent Big Johns Hideaway? Big John was indeed a formidable chap and ex sergeant in the polis IIRC.

castaways

I don't know why it came into my head yesterday, but I seem to remember drinking diamond white and castaway mixed together for a Blastaway.

I don't know why it came into my head yesterday, but I seem to remember drinking diamond white and castaway mixed together for a Blastaway.
Used to drink vodka and castaway. It was called "wreck the hoose juice"

I remember them but I preferred the Elephant beer and K Cider shandies.

First regular under age pub was The Willie Muir just off West Granton Road. Up town was The Waterloo at the east end of Princes St which was so full of under age drinkers that the rumour was you would get served if you hid your dummy!
Weirdest pub had to be The Merrymaker in Leith, topless gogo dancers and either a panther or black puma behind the bar. It had a cage but was sometimes it was let out on a lead. Cant remember the year but we would go in after signing on at the Shore. I would guess somewhere between 1973-77.
The big cat actually attacked a women and the owner had to get rid of it (thats the cat, not the women).
The night a puma went on rampage in a Leith bar - Edinburgh Evening News :thumbgrin

Staggers!!! FFS man you're dredging them up now. Did you ever frequent Big Johns Hideaway? Big John was indeed a formidable chap and ex sergeant in the polis IIRC.

Ooft. Big johns hideaway - there is a place I'd managed to purge from my memory. Has anybody mentioned the burnt post yet? I have a snapshot image in my head of setting out for tynecastle from one of these gaffs at the top end of Lothian road. Just come back to me.

Ooft. Big johns hideaway - there is a place I'd managed to purge from my memory. Has anybody mentioned the burnt post yet? I have a snapshot image in my head of setting out for tynecastle from one of these gaffs at the top end of Lothian road. Just come back to me.

The Burnt Post was [I think] the first pub in Edinburgh to have a video Jukebox and ZZ top "Legs" was never off the fukking thing.

Cost me a bloody small fortune :giggle:

The Burnt Post was probably the first pub in town that I drank in, used to go there a lot around 87 / 88.
Can't remember when it changed it's name, but became more of a student gaff in later years.

Burnt Post was one of my old haunts early 90's. Barry pub. Ruth & Allan ran it with their Rottweiler called.....Tiddles!

Big Ian was the bouncer, the lot of them used to run Elders in Rose St before the move up Tollcross. Radge times.

This thread has been viewed 25423 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£28.75