• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

Hecky thought Scottish football was crap

Doc Shrink

Curmudgeon Radge
Private Member
Reaction score
Illuminating article from Britney who interviewed our ex-manager at length.
Those of us who witnessed the pre-season games and onwards who reckoned the standard of signings indicated he had totally underestimated the strength of our league are vindicated.

Here it is:

I spent two hours in football conversation with Paul Heckingbottom in April. He was not long in the door at Easter Road and explained to me his reasons for having gone back to university to take a BSc in sports coaching, how he might have been content to remain a youth coach all his days and why he believed “academia” — his word — was becoming increasingly important in football.

Our conversation bowled along in spate as Heckingbottom unloaded idea after idea about the ways of modern football.

What a coup it seemed for Hibs to have attracted him. Twelve months earlier he had been viewed as one of the coming men of coaching in England, having had success with Barnsley before being lured away by Leeds United. There, in February last year, Heckingbottom was taking on one of the most prestigious jobs in English football, and also one of the most notorious. He was Leeds’ ninth manager in five years before being binned like the rest of them: turfed out after four months in charge.

So it was impressive to see Heckingbottom re-enter the game at Easter Road. But, on that April afternoon, he interrupted me to say: “As a coach, you have to understand what your skill-set is, and be the best at it. Plus, at the top end, the game is all about winning, and not so much about education.”

This became the nub of it for Paul Heckingbottom. “The winning” for him came to be severely rationed at Easter Road, as Hibs boast an atrocious league record stretching back to last April. This season they have won only one of their 11 games so far in the Ladbrokes Premiership to leave them a point off the foot of the table. There was no escaping it: Heckingbottom has been prime sacking fodder for weeks, and the Hibbee faithful have not yearned for him to remain.

Two other thoughts sprang to mind about my long conversation with him, when news of his sacking emerged yesterday. The first concerned a question I put to him about the standard of the top flight in Scottish football, and where Heckingbottom would place it on quality within the league structure in England.

“Quality-wise it’s on a par with League One in England — lower half,” he replied. I was slightly startled by this, not that I hugely disagreed with him. If you exclude Celtic and Rangers, then there probably is a tranche of teams in the Scottish Premiership who are third-tier material in England. But what I do remember thinking was: is this the bar that Heckingbottom will set for Hibs on his player recruitment? Because if it is, it is a low bar.

I’m not convinced that the now former Hibs head coach called it right here. Over the summer he signed a bunch of players — Josh Vela, Christian Doidge, Tom James, Adam Jackson and more — who, on numerous occasions, have looked like English lower-league journeymen. Back in August, when Hibs lost 3-0 to Motherwell at Fir Park, I was scratching my head to work out why all Heckingbottom’s summer signings were either on the bench or not even stripped for action that afternoon. “They’re not good enough,” a seasoned Hibs watcher told me.

After that loss, Heckingbottom made the remarkable admission that he couldn’t wait for January to get new bodies in. I thought: were these recent ten weeks of summer not the time to get this done?

My second thought about my conversation with Heckingbottom in April was: just how much did he know about Scottish football, and would this be a factor? He told me: “It has been a real challenge for me, because I have gone from the Championship in England where I knew everything inside out — every manager, every player, every club, every game — to a situation here where I didn’t know the managers, their tactics, their substitution options, etc.

“In terms of Scottish football, it has been all about learning and taking in as many games as possible. I didn’t know a lot about it, being honest.”

In truth, this shouldn’t have been an insurmountable obstacle. Players and coaches change clubs and enter new environments the world over, and they simply adapt, bringing success or failure. A lack of knowledge of Scottish football should not have hindered Heckingbottom at Hibs, except in one area: in watching rival clubs and players, and assessing his own team, would he make the right judgment calls? In this context it seems he has failed.

I will be surprised if Heckingbottom is not a success once more in English football. He has proved himself there before. But at Hibs, he made some costly wrong calls, and has rightly paid for them with his job.

Arrogant fudd.

Scottish football is nowhere near as bad as the English will tell you. His signings prove that.

Says more about us recruiting him than himself I'd suggest....

Arrogant fudd.
More like ignorance, with his natural arrogance close behind.

It really was at Hibs while he was in charge.

He had long enough at the end of last season to see the standard of Scottish football, yet still signed below par players in the summer. Arrogant and incompetent. I'm glad he's gone.

i think that’s harsh, I think we can look objectively at his reign, and he did very well working with players identified by others. Hopeless at identifying players himself, and with hindsight we could have done that differently. I think he would do that differently too.

there’s some easy quick wins in bringing players in, getting more right than wrong, and we messed that up in the summer by backing the managers judgement. It might even be that a new manager coming in will get a formation and plan to get these same players winning.

reading that back, logically we might have done better if GC and GM had taken more of an input into player recruitment but that undermines the manager.

we will learn lessons from this, and my guess would be we will go back to someone who knows the Scottish game because every manager we’ve brought in with no Scottish grounding has failed:

dave ewing
Colin calderwood
Pat fenlon
Paul heckingbottom

Thought it would be a piece of piss this league. Totally underestimated the level that's needed and will go back to England with a red face.

Last edited:
"Didn't know a lot about Scottish fitba" yet can confidently state that it's "lower half of league 1 level".

Good yin.

As has been said already I find it incredible that he couldn't see after the period between February and May when we played all the teams in the league including all the top six, what standard of player would be required to be competitive in this league ? I was confident after assessing the opposition that he would be able to get some diamonds from the lower leagues that he knew would shine in the SPFL and we would be one up on our competitors. He clearly identified and earmarked the likes of Doidge, Newall, James, Vela and Jackson and these deals were done and dusted long before they actually arrived at Easter Road. The recruitment team were by-passed IMO and this must never happen again. Even he must have realised early on in this campaign that he had badly misjudged the standard of this league and what was required and his days were numbered from then on.
This however leaves us in the Tom Kite. We still have all these players and the new boss is going to have to work with them and try to get much more out of them than Heckingbottom did in the upcoming battle to avoid the play-off. We might be able to wheel and deal a bit in January, but it will be done with a view to getting us in a safe position, then next summer the real re-build will have to begin.

Last edited:
Only fuckers lower league 1 here were him and his fuckin signings.

He had long enough at the end of last season to see the standard of Scottish football, yet still signed below par players in the summer. Arrogant and incompetent. I'm glad he's gone.

You would have thought so.
The duds we signed (I think) were all on his list when he came here, and he stubbornly insisted on getting them signed up right away. Perhaps he thought that they would raise their game sufficiently to do a job for him, I can't believe he was so stubborn as to deliberately sign players who he knew would fail.
None of them look particularly happy to be at Hibs, and to be honest I don't feel the 'connection' with them either so I reckon they will be onto their agents and looking for a move back to a league where they can shine.

If they can find one.

As has been said already I find it incredible that he couldn't see after the period between February and May when we played all the teams in the league including all the top six, what standard of player would be required to be competitive in this league ? I was confident after assessing the opposition that he would be able to get some diamonds from the lower leagues that he knew would shine in the SPFL and we would be one up on our competitors. He clearly identified and earmarked the likes of Doidge, Newall, James, Vela and Jackson and these deals were done and dusted long before they actually arrived at Easter Road. The recruitment team were by-passed IMO and this must never happen again. Even he must have realised early on in this campaign that he had badly misjudged the standard of this league and what was required and his days were numbered from then on.
This however leaves us in the Tom Kite. We still have all these players and the boss is going to have to work with them and try to get much more out of them than Heckingbottom did in an upcoming battle to avoid the play-off. We might be able to wheel and deal a bit in January, but it will be done with a view to getting us in a safe position, then next summer the real re-build will have to begin.

Neil Lennon wanted Doidge at Hibs.

Illuminating article from Britney who interviewed our ex-manager at length.
Those of us who witnessed the pre-season games and onwards who reckoned the standard of signings indicated he had totally underestimated the strength of our league are vindicated.

Here it is:
Interesting and enlightening.
I'm not au fait with "Britney" but surmise it's Speirs, Graham.

Thank fcuk we got rid of him then.

:grinning-smiley-045:

That's the fella.
:54:

Interesting.

Thing is Ive not got the dislike of Doidge that others have, as I think he looks like he gives 100% for the whole game and that he is being played in a way alien to him. He could still be a player if he gets a run as part of a front two.

Leeds Sussed the inadequate plum out after a few weeks .
Took us months but good riddance to the useless prick.
Hell be at bury or Chester or similar next , hopefully with doidge,vela and the other trash signings. Joining him.
Fuck offski hecky

Interesting.

Thing is Ive not got the dislike of Doidge that others have, as I think he looks like he gives 100% for the whole game and that he is being played in a way alien to him. He could still be a player if he gets a run as part of a front two.

Trouble is with strikers is, if they don't get off the mark fairly early on it can affect them mentally and the goal drought can drag on and on. And here we have Doidge still sitting on zero league goals. Heard Chris Waddle talk in similar terms about the lad Almiron Newcastle signed, after he missed a few chances in his first couple of games. And sure enough he's yet to net a league goal for them too.

same standard as lower half of league 1 in England????off you fuckin go then and take a team to the bottom of that league ? clown?

Reading stuff like this shows that wanker up for what he is so let's have no sympathy for him as he trots off back down south (with a six figure pay off in his tail no doubt) . bawbag

He’s not fooling anyone, clearly out his depth

It happens

The top league is far better than people think it is

You very rarely see a league 1 player pumping the top league up here. Premiership absolutely but not league 1 or 2.

It happens

The top league is far better than people think it is

You very rarely see a league 1 player pumping the top league up here. Premiership absolutely but not league 1 or 2.

Just ask Joey Barton

Just ask Joey Barton

Another prime example

Don't know if anyone remembers when Peter Schmeichel came up to watch his son playing for Falkirk and he himself said he was surprised at the quality of the game

Trouble is with strikers is, if they don't get off the mark fairly early on it can affect them mentally and the goal drought can drag on and on. And here we have Doidge still sitting on zero league goals. Heard Chris Waddle talk in similar terms about the lad Almiron Newcastle signed, after he missed a few chances in his first couple of games. And sure enough he's yet to net a league goal for them too.
Good point re: Almiron.

On another point (which I can't remember if it was raised on this thread or another), the whole "sympathy with man losing his job" thing. I have no sympathy for Hecky – none. And I'll tell you for why:

1) This is the man who said "a manager's contract is only worth the severance pay". And that severance pay, let's not kid ourselves, will likely be more than 90% of us make in a year, if not 2 or 3 years.

2) This is the man who accepted a well-remunerated position with a venerable, historic club, but who – let's be honest – felt it was beneath him.

3) On a related note, I had a lot of sympathy with, for instance, Pat Fenlon, because he a) clearly respected the club, and b) had the humility and honour to recognise that he wasn't up to it.

That's the fella.
:54:
[
? Thanks.

Football is strange mostly and on other occasions just bonkers!
James Collins scores regularly in the championship now and looks a real handful the limited times I have seen him on tv. He had a good goals record before joining us too, albeit lower league.
He could not kick snow off a wall when at Hibs.
You never know, there might be hope for Doidge yet. IF he had taken one of several chances lately it could have been a different story for him and Hibs, just think that would probably have meant PH was still our manager!

Every cloud and all that.

I am digressing.....
I am delighted PH is oot, praying for a experienced manager with good pedigree and hoping Doidge comes good and proves the majority of us wrong.

Majority of English people think the same, Hecky thought he'd stroll it and was found out like others in the same mindset.

Football is strange mostly and on other occasions just bonkers!
James Collins scores regularly in the championship now and looks a real handful the limited times I have seen him on tv. He had a good goals record before joining us too, albeit lower league.
He could not kick snow off a wall when at Hibs.
You never know, there might be hope for Doidge yet. IF he had taken one of several chances lately it could have been a different story for him and Hibs, just think that would probably have meant PH was still our manager!

Every cloud and all that.

I am digressing....
I am delighted PH is oot, praying for a experienced manager with good pedigree and hoping Doidge comes good and proves the majority of us wrong.
If Doidge set up goals regularly and scored a few a season at least then I'd accept that but so far his contribution has been nil, hopefully we see a very different Doidge under a new manager and with a strike partner to work with.

If Doidge set up goals regularly and scored a few a season at least then I'd accept that but so far his contribution has been nil, hopefully we see a very different Doidge under a new manager and with a strike partner to work with.
I have to be honest and say I haven’t seen him play much so can’t really comment on his ability or lack of.
He doesn’t appear to be very good but then again, as you say, hopefully he improves with a new manager.
Would have the added bonus of saving the cash involved to find a replacement

James Collins scores goals in the championship - i would just say that goes to show the championship is shit. Eoin Doyle scores plenty too think that's in league 1? People seem to automatically equate how much players/teams cost and get influenced by that when deciding how good they are - look at Oliver Burke for example he has gone for God knows how many millions and he was utter shite at Celtic - he's got pace to burn but with the ball at his feet he's a headless chicken - absolute Dugshite.

Ignorant prick.
Probably thought he could come up here, get 3rd and maybe a good run in a cup and raise his profile to get a move back down south.
Agree with others in that if I had my way he'd have got f*** all as a pay-off for being shit at his job, unfortunately football for some reason doesn't work like that.
Thankfully I'll never have to think about the c*** again.

Ignorant prick.
Probably thought he could come up here, get 3rd and maybe a good run in a cup and raise his profile to get a move back down south.
Agree with others in that if I had my way he'd have got f*** all as a pay-off for being shit at his job, unfortunately football for some reason doesn't work like that.
Thankfully I'll never have to think about the c*** again.
And I bet the arrogant little bastard will go back down the road blaming everything and everyone but himself. It would be too easy to be angered by the prick, just be relieved he's gone

James Collins scores goals in the championship - i would just say that goes to show the championship is shit. Eoin Doyle scores plenty too think that's in league 1? People seem to automatically equate how much players/teams cost and get influenced by that when deciding how good they are - look at Oliver Burke for example he has gone for God knows how many millions and he was utter shite at Celtic - he's got pace to burn but with the ball at his feet he's a headless chicken - absolute Dugshite.

Yet Allan & Mallan could't get a game there

Yet Allan & Mallan could't get a game there
I wouldn't say mallan pulls up any trees in the spl either

I wouldn't say mallan pulls up any trees in the spl either

Indeed but he plays for us every week . Some very good sides in the championship and a few crap ones . If i'm honest in my opinion most of the SPL would struggle in it

Indeed but he plays for us every week . Some very good sides in the championship and a few crap ones . If i'm honest in my opinion most of the SPL would struggle in it
I think if they had the money the championship teams in England get they'd do alright. Aberdeen hibs and Hawrts could hold their own with a bit of cash I reckon. I know it was a one off but Aberdeen arguably could have beaten Burnley last season in Europe (they certainly had a few chances down there) then you have the billionaires of man city who couldn't beat Celtic, twice.

I thought his football was crap.

This thread has been viewed 14191 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£28.75