Whisky

tayside hibee

Radge Donator
Private Member
Registered
Player Sponsor
The last couple of years I have taken more interest in whisky. Where they are made , and what methods are used. But, most importantly, how they taste.
Just wondering what other folks favs are, and how you take it , and recommendations .

My faviroutes just now are
Blends. Haig Club has a lovely vanilla twist , take it with a splash of water.

Malt , changes all the time but just now I would say Jura 12 year old, again just a splash of water

Irish whisky , Tullamore Dew, just with a block of ice , very sweet and smooth , highly recommended if your looking for something different .

The American bourbons , I've not tried many , but they are all much the same to me, and really need to be drunk with cola.

I'm not a big fan of the strong peaty ones , smell a bit " medical" but I do buy the odd bottle just so I have one in my small collection , and I do manage a few drams now and then:detective:

So, give me a reason to buy another few bottles :bbb:

Braehead Cabbage

Baldy radge
Radge Donator
Private Member
Registered
Monthly Radge
Jun 23, 2007
Stirling
like yourself I'm not a big fan of peaty whisky but got a bottle of Cu bocan really nice with a smoky aftertaste.
Other than that Auchentoshen and Glengoyne

Beagle

Donator
Radge Donator
Private Member
Registered
Jan 8, 2006
Fauldhouse
Balvenie. All of them.

As an aside, I got a bottle of anejo tequila from Lupe Pintos last week. Doesn't taste like 'normal' blanco or reposada tequilas, more like a cognac but braw all the same

Braehead Cabbage

Baldy radge
Radge Donator
Private Member
Registered
Monthly Radge
Jun 23, 2007
Stirling
Balvenie. All of them.

As an aside, I got a bottle of anejo tequila from Lupe Pintos last week. Doesn't taste like 'normal' blanco or reposada tequilas, more like a cognac but braw all the same
the double wood is really nice

Sir Shrink

Quite a bit past it radge
Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Private Member
Registered
Player Sponsor
Lewis Flag Donator
Monthly Radge
Jun 28, 2002
I’m partial to a Margarita but after spending a couple of weeks in Mexico last year I became quite happy with a glass or three of the straight tequila. I did a wee bit of research before I went so that I didn’t purchase the equivalent of Tennents Lager.

Administrator
Private Member
Player Sponsor
Gray Boot Sponsor
Jul 17, 2003
Muir of Houston
www.hibeesbounce.com
Last time I drank more than one nip of whisky, I had a square go with a hun in a hotel car park, it was 22 years ago.

Weehibbydrew

Mussel-bound Radge
Private Member
Registered
Player Sponsor
Jul 12, 2003
The Honest Toun
Rather fond of a Cardhu Gold Reserve. For everyday tippling, though, try a blend called Label (not Level!) Five. You can get it in Morrisons. Best-selling whisky in France, apparently, and £18 a litre last week.

Two Headed Boy

Radge Donator
Private Member
Registered
Jan 2, 2010
Glasgow
At the opposite end of the spectrum - I love the peat! Islay's all the way in my house. Laphroaig, Ardberg and Bowmore are my favourites.

tricky

Private Member
Registered
Monthly Radge
Sep 5, 2002
standing on the brink of history
Can’t get a taste for whisky at all, have tried as would be nice to have a dram with my dad, uncles etc but just don’t like it

HaarlemShuffler

Coffee Shop Radge
Radge Donator
Private Member
Registered
At the opposite end of the spectrum - I love the peat! Islay's all the way in my house. Laphroaig, Ardberg and Bowmore are my favourites.
Me too #metoo ooh er that's just the way I see it.

But I just must interject, got a prezzie of a Speyburn recently and man it was the bizz. I do not get the Speyside Grant-ish normally but this was like a modern variant on the subject. Felt like 50% under the tongue but was the normal 40% - here in Holland. That under-the-tongue feeling was what did it for me.

Worth a reprise. Anyone else tried the Speyburn? (10 yr I think)

beefy

Easy Now Radge
Radge Donator
Private Member
Registered
Player Sponsor
Ladies Player Sponsor
Feb 20, 2006
Stuck between the moon and new york city
I have been drinking JD Fire with apple & elderflower water. Tastes just like apple pie!

+

=

Administrator
Private Member
Player Sponsor
Gray Boot Sponsor
Jul 17, 2003
Muir of Houston
www.hibeesbounce.com
Rather fond of a Cardhu Gold Reserve. For everyday tippling, though, try a blend called Label (not Level!) Five. You can get it in Morrisons. Best-selling whisky in France, apparently, and £18 a litre last week.
Its bottled in Livingston!!

Bofahibee

Flag Owner
Private Member
Registered
Lewis Flag Donator
Gray Boot Sponsor
Nov 15, 2012
South
I’m fond of a single malt. I started drinking Scapa as it doesn’t have any peat (no trees in Orkney). Nowadays i drink Dalwhinnie or Deanston which are both well rounded and even a bit honeyed.

I also used to enjoy a whisky mac as a chaser with a pint of Guinness - usually made with a blend like Black Bottle which used to contain a lot of Islay malts and Crabbies green ginger. I’d drink half the whisky mac and half the pint then tip the remaining spirit in the stout. Lovely at the time but in the end I couldn’t take the hangovers...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blue toon hibby

Hungry Radge
Radge Donator
Registered
Player Sponsor
Monthly Radge
Nov 24, 2002
PETERHEAD
Last time I drank more than one nip of whisky, I had a square go with a hun in a hotel car park, it was 22 years ago.
As good a reason to drink whisky as I've ever heard

Davy

get off yer bum an sing radge
Flag Owner
Private Member
Registered
Ladies Player Sponsor
Mar 23, 2005
Edinburgh

My Dad tended to get more violent on whisky and one of my sons seems to be the same. Never really developed a taste for the stuff and prob never will

blue toon hibby

Hungry Radge
Radge Donator
Registered
Player Sponsor
Monthly Radge
Nov 24, 2002
PETERHEAD
I’m fond of a single malt. I started drinking Scapa as it doesn’t have any peat (no trees in Orkney). Nowadays i drink Dalwhinnie or Deanston which are both well rounded and even a bit honeyed.

I also used to enjoy a whisky mac as a chaser with a pint of Guinness - usually made with a blend like Black Bottle which used to contain a lot of Islay malts and Crabbies green ginger. I’d drink half the whisky mac and half the pint then tip the remaining spirit in the stout. Lovely at the time but in the end I couldn’t take the hangovers...

Dalwhinnie is one of my all-time favourites too. Recently I've grown fond of Monkey Shoulder though - a blend of Speyside malts that's very easy to drink.

Bofahibee

Flag Owner
Private Member
Registered
Lewis Flag Donator
Gray Boot Sponsor
Nov 15, 2012
South
Dalwhinnie is one of my all-time favourites too. Recently I've grown fond of Monkey Shoulder though - a blend of Speyside malts that's very easy to drink.
I always assumed monkey shoulder was a bourbon - I’ll give it a try. Thanks.

I was given a bottle of dalwhinnie distillers edition a couple of years back. Lovely stuff. I always drink it with a drop of water.

Last edited:

Braehead Cabbage

Baldy radge
Radge Donator
Private Member
Registered
Monthly Radge
Jun 23, 2007
Stirling
None the worse for that! No idea where it's distilled, but it improves an evening mug of coffee no end.
distilled in Livi too.They had to move voice allowed to call it scotch

jadamson2704

Radge Donator
Registered
Nov 26, 2012
Edinburgh
It’s only in the last few years I’ve developed a taste for decent whisky. I was put off by the blended stuff in my teenage years (but by fuck it was an efficient way to get shit-faced!). I can’t remember if it was the ten or fifteen year old MacAllan single malt that was unnervingly smooth and easy to drink. My current favourite is 14 year old Oban, had the distillery tour while I was in the town of the same name; that was the highlight of a very cold and wet February weekend break.