• Hiya Guest,

You are invited to take part in this seasons Prediction League, where the object of the game is to pick the outcome of all SPL games

Full Details are here. Prediction Pick Em Competition

We also have a Prize 'Pool', with full details here

If you have entered you can dismiss this as you are awesome!

The Climate Protest

Forzahibs

I'm a Radge Donator
Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Monthly Radge
"You have a choice you can either get up off your knees and fight or forever live on your knees."

What if you choose neither extreme?
I always tend to be at work when these things are going on , I reckon if you went to all of them you'd recognise a fair few people . I wonder what the reaction on here would be if airline staff went on strike just prior to a Hibs away fixture in Europe they'd splashed out for tickets and hotel rooms on ?

Sir Shrink

Quite a bit past it radge
Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Player Sponsor
Lewis Flag Donator
Monthly Radge
I always tend to be at work when these things are going on , I reckon if you went to all of them you'd recognise a fair few people . I wonder what the reaction on here would be if airline staff went on strike just prior to a Hibs away fixture in Europe they'd splashed out for tickets and hotel rooms on ?
I know what my reaction would be, and it's fair to say it wouldn't be in tune with Moaty's.
:21:

stairways_second_coming

Radge Private Member
Private Member
Bounce Radge
My bus fair guzzled some petrol detouring round what looked about 40 of them. But I'm sure the owners of the Chinese power stations that produce a third of the world's c02 will look at the Edinburgh evening news and close there business down

moathibby

Radge Private Member
Private Member
Bounce Radge
My bus fair guzzled some petrol detouring round what looked about 40 of them. But I'm sure the owners of the Chinese power stations that produce a third of the world's c02 will look at the Edinburgh evening news and close there business down
Your on a diesel guzzling bus because there was a concerted effort to close down the far more evironmentally sound tram systems across the world and go with petrol consumption way back in the 60's.

Forzahibs

I'm a Radge Donator
Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Monthly Radge
Your on a diesel guzzling bus because there was a concerted effort to close down the far more evironmentally sound tram systems across the world and go with petrol consumption way back in the 60's.
No tram system anywhere round my way nor has there ever been as far as I'm aware . There must be many more small towns and villages around the world than cities where most tram systems would be found

Sir Shrink

Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Player Sponsor
Lewis Flag Donator
Monthly Radge
I've been to loads of places in Europe where trams are still there - and very popular.
America/Canada too.

Britain binned them for a variety of reasons, but that was more due to economics rather than a 'concerted world wide effort'. Crikey Moaty - you love a bit of drama!

moathibby

Radge Private Member
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Cities such as Los Angeles were designed with the tram in mind,but opposition from the motor lobby saw trams ripped up all over the world including in the UK where in places like Birmingham and Glasgow and Leeds the tram was ripped up in favour of the inner city motorway.Then in the 60's the Beeching act came in and rural railways were ripped up in order to make these places car dependant.It was called 'economic progress' and sold to the public as such .It locked in car dependance and therefor air pollution from as far afield as Jakarta to Mexico City,and it was by and large the working class of the industrialised cities that suffered most.

Forzahibs

I'm a Radge Donator
Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Monthly Radge
Cities such as Los Angeles were designed with the tram in mind,but opposition from the motor lobby saw trams ripped up all over the world including in the UK where in places like Birmingham and Glasgow and Leeds the tram was ripped up in favour of the inner city motorway.Then in the 60's the Beeching act came in and rural railways were ripped up in order to make these places car dependant.It was called 'economic progress' and sold to the public as such .It locked in car dependance and therefor air pollution from as far afield as Jakarta to Mexico City,and it was by and large the working class of the industrialised cities that suffered most.
People becoming better off were always going to choose cars for the ability to go where you like when you like plus as I said , not everyone lives in a city I never have and never want to

moathibby

Radge Private Member
Private Member
Bounce Radge
People chose the car because the petrol chemical car lobby pushed for the car industry over other means of transport.The whole motorway madness of the current way of thinking is all to do with oil and oil profits.One electric bus could take 75 or so people from point Ato B with vey little effort,where as you have 35 to 40 cars taking an average of 2 peoples each taking up more space on the roads pumping out pollutants that are giving inner city kids carcinogenic particles of soot,causing untold damage to our bodies and our kids bodies.

Forzahibs

I'm a Radge Donator
Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Monthly Radge
People chose the car because the petrol chemical car lobby pushed for the car industry over other means of transport.The whole motorway madness of the current way of thinking is all to do with oil and oil profits.One electric bus could take 75 or so people from point Ato B with vey little effort,where as you have 35 to 40 cars taking an average of 2 peoples each taking up more space on the roads pumping out pollutants that are giving inner city kids carcinogenic particles of soot,causing untold damage to our bodies and our kids bodies.
I don't think you recognise anything outside a city and no car ive ever seen takes up more space on a road than a bus and how do you know why people chose cars ? I have a car cos i need and want one , nothing to do with anyones profits

Sir Shrink

Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Player Sponsor
Lewis Flag Donator
Monthly Radge
Trams in Britain were binned because councils hadn’t invested in the infrastructure and huge investment was required.
Loads of busses built for troop transports were flogged off and allowed entrepreneurs to buy them and cherry pick routes. And as Forza said, rising prosperity meant folk could afford to buy cars and wanted the freedom.
I don’t think the oil barons really were key to the car revolution in Britain Moaty.

Leith1975

Radge Private Member
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Part of Bounce
I don't think you recognise anything outside a city and no car ive ever seen takes up more space on a road than a bus and how do you know why people chose cars ? I have a car cos i need and want one , nothing to do with anyones profits
I’ve got a car because I can’t stand using the bus. It’s slow it rarely takes the quickest route and I can’t be bothered waiting for it to come. When I can afford it I will happily switch to an electric car and that I’m guessing is the way most car owners feel. Car owners aren’t going to switch to public transport in huge numbers no matter what the government tells them. Zero emission cars are the future in this country, along with 100% renewable energy.

Bofahibee

Bounce Flag Co-Owner
Flag Owner
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Lewis Flag Donator
Gray Boot Sponsor
Trams in Britain were binned because councils hadn’t invested in the infrastructure and huge investment was required.
Loads of busses built for troop transports were flogged off and allowed entrepreneurs to buy them and cherry pick routes. And as Forza said, rising prosperity meant folk could afford to buy cars and wanted the freedom.
I don’t think the oil barons really were key to the car revolution in Britain Moaty.
(You’ll remember) up to the late seventies- there were remarkably few cars on the roads. Margaret Thatcher had a vision of a “great car economy” where people had “personal freedom”. In hindsight we can see that that actually had a lot of pretty negative effects on society but She and her acolytes just didn’t believe in public anything and were still running down the railways and selling railway land.

Talking of trams - apparently those cunning Chinese have trialled trams that don’t need rails - they use a mix of highly accurate GPS and just need white lines painted on the road ( cue mindless vandals painting lines all over the shop).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forzahibs

I'm a Radge Donator
Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Monthly Radge
(You’ll remember) up to the late seventies- there were remarkably few cars on the roads. Margaret Thatcher had a vision of a “great car economy” where people had “personal freedom”. In hindsight we can see that that actually had a lot of pretty negative effects on society but She and her acolytes just didn’t believe in public anything and were still running down the railways and selling railway land.

Talking of trams - apparently those cunning Chinese have trialled trams that don’t need rails - they use a mix of highly accurate GPS and just need white lines painted on the road ( cue mindless vandals painting lines all over the shop).

It was hardly just a UK thing though , same thing happened all over the place cars became massed produced and cheaper and surely this was happening a long time before she arrived on the scene.
The graph shown here suggests a downturn during the 70s if i'm reading it right
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/8995/vehicles-summary.pdf

GORDONSMITH7

**** The Gunts
Administrator
Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Bounce Radge
Player Sponsor
Lewis Flag Donator
Monthly Radge
Ladies Player Sponsor
Gray Boot Sponsor
Well done the Extinction Rebellion. There will be more political pressure in the UK to move forward regarding Climate Change. The fact that it has been in the crappy British media constanty was what they wanted I guess. They succeeded. They have a splendid ally in Sir David Attenborough.

BIG G

Forzahibs

I'm a Radge Donator
Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Monthly Radge
Well done the Extinction Rebellion. There will be more political pressure in the UK to move forward regarding Climate Change. The fact that it has been in the crappy British media constanty was what they wanted I guess. They succeeded. They have a splendid ally in Sir David Attenborough.

BIG G
Must admit , i laughed when looking at photos of the aftermath , hundreds of plastic bottles strewn all over the shop

Westside Green

Radge Private Member
Private Member
Bounce Radge

Sounds a bit like a bus.

Hibs v St.Johnstone

Harp and Castle Visit Dumbreck Decorators
Visit robertsons garage Visit Frutin Travel