• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

RIP Jack Charlton

Forzahibs

I'm a Radge Donator
Private Member
Reaction score
Died at 85

Sorry hear that, a great manager, a good player.

RIP

Wife and I with met Jack last September down in Amble. He was sitting on a bench watching the world go by. Had on his usual green wax coat and brown flat cap. On passing Jack I asked if he doing OK. Jack replied with a thumbs-up and a huge wide smile. Looked really well and content. Lovely man. Fully deserves the accolades he will get in the coming days/weeks.

RIP

One of the good guys. RIP Jack

Sorry to hear this news this morning.

Jack Charlton was some guy. A good, hard, intimidating centre half for Leeds, a World Cup winner for England, and an excellent manager both at club level and especially at international level for Ireland. A real character and as has been said one of the games good guys. Sad to see so many of Revie's great Leeds side passing away at around the same time.

RIP Jack.

R.I.P Jack

Honest on and off the pitch. RIP big man.

Was great having another team to shout for at a major tournament. Thinking WC 90 and 94 days.

He worked wonders for Ireland and the players thrived on his management style.

The “Go Home Union Jack” banner didn’t last long.

RIP

Sad loss to football. That great Leeds United side of old is dwindling.....

May his fishing line be always taut,
And accurate his gun when shot,
And when Hell to play, God picks his best eleven
May big Jack line up in the strip of Heaven

Jack Charlton stole a malteaser from me!

I was a ball boy at ER, and there was an U21 international between Scotland and ROI. Jack was standing talking to someone trackside long before the game, and me and a couple of the other ballboys were milling about. Jack looks at my sweets, says "gies one ae them" and proceeds to take a sweetie from me!

RIP Jack.

One of the good guy's.I don't mind him and his brother winning 'that' World Cup.RIP.

As already stated Jack Charlton as his brother Bobby were good guys and were not arrogant or bumptious but were down to earth lads who kicked a ball and never forgot their roots. Always fair and unbiased when summarising a game although in Bobby's case I will never forget his reaction in the Scotland v Holland match 1978 World Cup. When Archie Gemmill scored the great third Bobby yells - It's there... it's there. Brilliant moment. Jack will be a big loss to football.

Honoured to have see him play at Elland Road and Easter Road against Hibs in 1967 and 1968.
Stalwart, vocal supporter of the year long Miners Strike 1984-1985. Quality.

BIG G

I believe Jack Charlton started as a centre forward and was converted to centre half by Don Revie in his early days as manager at Leeds. Still managed to score a good few goals from the back, as we know to our cost. A friend who has followed Leeds since the 60s told me one of his favourite memories was of Jack chasing a Valencia player around the penalty area trying to land a retaliatory kick (and succeeding). Fairs Cup tie 1965ish. I've looked on YouTube and can't find it - but I imagine it must have been similar to this one from Tommy Gemmell on Helmut Haller.
Part of the reason why I can never work up much affection for Leeds - apparently they would spend the first 20 minutes of every game kicking fuck out of their opponents before settling down to play football and it's often this which their fans from the old days remember most fondly rather than the skillful football which they were equally capable of playing.
I think his Ireland team adopted tactics made popular again in the 1980s by teams like Watford and Wimbledon - launch long balls into the corners to get the opposition centre backs turning and playing in areas of the pitch they didn't feel comfortable in. Not great to watch, but it worked, up to a point, and you wouldn't find many Irish fans complaining.

This thread has been viewed 492 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£28.75