• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

Recruitment failure and Success

Eh ? Never heard of that before , infact i'd go as far to say its rubbish . The clue is in the name ;)
Oh please. We sign an English league manager then suddenly we're trawling the lower EFL for players. This summers signings are 100% Heckinbottoms. They and he thought they'd scoosh the Scottish Premiership as down here they think our games pish. I really despair at the naivety of some on here.

There is no doubt in my mind the most of that players Heckingbottom brought in during the early part of the summer were players he alone had earmarked from when he first arrived at the club in February. He would have used the recruitment team and Mathie to just get the deals done with them. He said several times early on that he had targeted a number of players and he hoped to get them in during the summer which he did. These were players he knew from his football world which is the lower leagues of English football. He had convinced himself that they would do well up here. So far it's been a mixed bag to say the least. Doidge does lead the line well, is decent in the air, can hold the ball up and link with others, works hard and can play the lone striker role better than anyone else at the club IMO. He is not very mobile however and he has missed too many chances already. Newall has barely played but those who have seen him more than I have do not rate him. However Vela looks like he is getting better and fitter, Hallberg looks a good player as do Maxwell and James. Jackson has some dodgy moments (to be expected as a central defender when playing with a new group of players) but I have been quite impressed by him whenever I have seen him play.

I suspect the recruitment team were by-passed early on by the new manager who wanted to do things his way, get his own players in, and set his stall at the club. I think the more recent signings have been scouted and sourced by the recruitment team with the manager giving his ultimate authorisation on them. Graeme Mathie is very highly rated not only at Hibs but elsewhere as can be seen by the clubs reported to be trying to get him from us. I expect him to be offered George Craig's job as Head of Footballing Operations (basically Director of Football) and I hope he takes it.

Last edited:
I think under a different manager, these players could show a lot more. He’s restricting the players with his tactics. Doidge needs a partner up front for him to be able to really show his asset. Vela is a player that I think if we let the reigns off would give us more. There’s a squad of players in there that could do a LOT better.

Eh ? Never heard of that before , infact i'd go as far to say its rubbish . The clue is in the name ;)

That is my understanding Daz mate

I wouldn't say maclaren was a failure. Last season he was never teamed up with flo but when he came first time on loan he scored, got in the spaces and made problems for opposition teams. We could do with someone similar just now up front.

Oh please. We sign an English league manager then suddenly we're trawling the lower EFL for players. This summers signings are 100% Heckinbottoms. They and he thought they'd scoosh the Scottish Premiership as down here they think our games pish. I really despair at the naivety of some on here.

eh ?

That is my understanding Daz mate

My old man did this from when I was at school till he was retired , you're understanding is miles out mate . Things may have changed a bit but no that much

My old man did this from when I was at school till he was retired , you're understanding is miles out mate . Things may have changed a bit but no that much

"But we started out with a plan and a recruitment plan is in place. I am 100 per cent sure from my time here that the structure is right because it is always the manager who has the final say.

"Myself and Mick are the ones who make the decisions on the players that we want to have. It's then up to the scouts and whether the players are available before the negotiations."

From Ole

"But we started out with a plan and a recruitment plan is in place. I am 100 per cent sure from my time here that the structure is right because it is always the manager who has the final say.

"Myself and Mick are the ones who make the decisions on the players that we want to have. It's then up to the scouts and whether the players are available before the negotiations."

From Ole

Maybe Man U do things different these days but what does the word "scout" suggest to you ?
Anyway not to worry its hardly that important

Maybe Man U do things different these days but what does the word "scout" suggest to you ?
Anyway not to worry its hardly that important

It was the same set up under Stubbsy mate.

From Ole
Those steps sound the same as the steps I think we have at Hibs, but it misses the first two: head coach works with recruitment team to define the positions and attributes they want; recruitment team compile a shortlist including any suggestions from head coach.

I think Ole is starting part way through the process in that quote.

Those steps sound the same as the steps I think we have at Hibs, but it misses the first two: head coach works with recruitment team to define the positions and attributes they want; recruitment team compile a shortlist including any suggestions from head coach.

I think Ole is starting part way through the process in that quote.

Speaking to others it is the manager who gives the scouts their targets to make sure they are available which makes sense as I don't think our scouts would be mentioning the players Heck & Co brought in.

Speaking to others it is the manager who gives the scouts their targets to make sure they are available which makes sense as I don't think our scouts would be mentioning the players Heckingbottom brought in.
I reckon there'll be both, I'm pretty sure the likes of Doidge / Newell etc were PHB. And in principle I'm fine with that, those could be guys he's had his eye on (possibly even recommended by his previous recruitment department). But as he's said himself player identification is a big job, and you won't always have someone on your personal radar to do a job you've identified as needing done. Hence define the requirements and give it to recruitment team to find possible matches

I reckon there'll be both, I'm pretty sure the likes of Doidge / Newell etc were PHB. And in principle I'm fine with that, those could be guys he's had his eye on (possibly even recommended by his previous recruitment department). But as he's said himself player identification is a big job, and you won't always have someone on your personal radar to do a job you've identified as needing done. Hence define the requirements and give it to recruitment team to find possible matches

Jackson and James were definitely his targets, you could add Maxwell too.

Jackson and James were definitely his targets, you could add Maxwell too.
I'd think it's natural for a manager to have a number of personally identified targets in his first season in a new division as he'll have experience of players from elsewhere. But not in his second, how's he going to identify them if he's only ever at games in same division? Hopefully that second season point is moot in this case!

It was the same set up under Stubbsy mate.

Obviously you know everything that goes on at ER but i say its 100% pish , logical thinking tells you that but hey what the fuck do i know

Obviously you know everything that goes on at ER but i say its 100% pish , logical thinking tells you that but hey what the fuck do i know

You have mail mate

You have mail mate

Attention seeker alert.

C'mon mate, if it's news then put it out here.
If it's personal enough to be a PM then keep it confidential.

FFS

@joethehibby You have flowers.

This thread has been viewed 5351 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£38.75