• Hi there, if you are wanting to register, you will need a registration code. To obtain said code please email hibs@hibeesbounce.com with a brief description of why you want to become part of the bounce. Please also supply us with your IP address Click here if you do not know your IP Thank You. GGTTH
  • Could Users Please note that the Rules state you must seek Permission before posting any Auctions, or Sales.

Anyone run a marathon?

Brainwrong

Spaktacuradge
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Monthly Radge
Thinking I need a new challenge/focus [read; addiction].

Any advice appreciated. I'm adept at 5km in the gym & outdoor. Fitness levels are good. Never done an outdoor 10km or greater.

One blocker I have is mental, when I'm outdoors, there some kind of block where I lose interest in a run after 5km. I think a solid planned route would help with that, perhaps.

On the treadmill I feel I can go for a fair amount of time and I think a large part of that is that I'm essentially very lazy, when I run on a treadmill, I know I'll be exactly where I started no matter when I decide to finish. But if I'm out on a run, I know I can't just quit i.e. I'll still have to get back to my starting point. Which fills me with apathy.

Maybe a charity run for Dnipro or something might help me pull the finger out.

Thinking out loud for a change...

Jack

Bounce Flag Co-Owner
Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Player Sponsor
Monthly Radge
Ladies Player Sponsor
Gray Boot Sponsor
Canny believe I was reading this and this came up on the telly! Fate, I tell ye!

You're sorted!

good luck.

Hibee Kev

Radge Donator
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
I've done a couple, last one being the day we were relegated back in 2014. @Stu doesn't post often (ever?) on here anymore, but he used to be a serious runner and can probably offer better advice than me. But here's my tips anyway:

1. I know exactly what you mean with regards the treadmill giving you the option of bailing at any given point. I trained for my first marathon mostly on a treadmill for that very reason. I would however suggest attempting more road runs as I don't think persistent long distance runs on the treadmill did my knees any favours and as such I was carrying an injury into the race.

2. If you are considering doing the Edinburgh marathon IMO it has its pros and cons. Big positive is it is flat (one of the flattest in the world) and therefore potentially easier although the time of year it's held at it can be scorching hot! Big negative is the route is bloody boring! There is a point just after Musselburgh where you can see about 5 miles of East Lothian coastline in front of you, all lined with runners. It can be quite disheartening. Also you're lucky if 5 miles of the race take place in what I would term Edinburgh. The Great Edinburgh run (10 miler) is a better race for seeing the city IMO.

3. It's worth investing in a decent set of wireless headphones to make the longer training runs a bit more interesting. A decent playlist can motivate you during the tough points, and a good podcast can help relieve the boredom.

4. Make up your own training plan that works for you, but base it loosely around one of the established plans you can find via Google. I made mine using Excel I'll see if I can dig it out. Try and incorporate a couple of other, shorter distance, races into the plan if possible (e.g. a 10k/10 mile/half marathon).

5. You're right - doing it for charity definitely motivates you as you feel obliged not to let the charity or your sponsors down!

Good luck!

Sir Shrink

Quite a bit past it radge
Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Player Sponsor
Lewis Flag Donator
Monthly Radge
I've done a couple, last one being the day we were relegated back in 2014. @Stu doesn't post often (ever?) on here anymore, but he used to be a serious runner and can probably offer better advice than me.
Whatever happened to Stu - another Bouncer who was a decent contributor but maybe got lured into Faceboak, or Instantgran or one of these places.

We've lost quite a few good guys over the last year or so...

:cryy:

SKII

Administrator
Administrator
Radge Donator
Lewis Flag Donator
Monthly Radge
Whatever happened to Stu - another Bouncer who was a decent contributor but maybe got lured into Faceboak, or Instantgran or one of these places.

We've lost quite a few good guys over the last year or so...

:cryy:
I think he migrated to Mass Hibsteria as his main Hibs Chat and then when it shut down he kinda continued that on Facebook and elsewhere. Stopped posting on Kickback2 too.

Power

Bounce Flag Co-Owner
Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Part of Bounce
I’ve done one and that’s enough for me - Amsterdam 2016 (went for the flattest of the flat).

I already had a bit of conditioning from football and cycling but like yourself, had never ran over anything 7-10k before. Amsterdam’s Marathon is in October so I gave myself four months after returning from holiday to build up endurance.

I really chuck myself into things fully, 👀, but with a bit of realism. Running three times a week to start. 3 miles, 4 miles (repeating both those mileages for weeks) 5 miles and 6. Forgetting about pace, Distance focused.

Shoes? You’ve got shite shoes. Went and got myself running shoes that complimented my running style.

Let’s start running to work. 6 miles, 7 miles, 8 miles. Pace is coming now, recovery important too. Favouring longer miles at the weekend - 10, 11 and being burst.

No more than three weeks before the event I was getting up to 20-21 miles and that, so ‘they’ say, is enough. To find the extra 5.2 on the day is ‘easy’ with the adrenaline and support on the big day.

I did manage two 26.2 mile runs before the event. One in shite conditions (no advised) and one close to the event (no great for the body) but it gave me the knowledge I could do it and trim time off.

My finish time was 3 hours 21mins. A very good time for a novice by all accounts but I’ve got no desire to go beat that or test that any time soon. Might just stay there as my marker forever.

Once you start K you’ll get the bug to beat the distance again. And again.

The final distance seems way off but it’s closer than you think.

Brainwrong

Spaktacuradge
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Monthly Radge
I’ve done one and that’s enough for me - Amsterdam 2016 (went for the flattest of the flat).

I already had a bit of conditioning from football and cycling but like yourself, had never ran over anything 7-10k before. Amsterdam’s Marathon is in October so I gave myself four months after returning from holiday to build up endurance.

I really chuck myself into things fully, 👀, but with a bit of realism. Running three times a week to start. 3 miles, 4 miles (repeating both those mileages for weeks) 5 miles and 6. Forgetting about pace, Distance focused.

Shoes? You’ve got shite shoes. Went and got myself running shoes that complimented my running style.

Let’s start running to work. 6 miles, 7 miles, 8 miles. Pace is coming now, recovery important too. Favouring longer miles at the weekend - 10, 11 and being burst.

No more than three weeks before the event I was getting up to 20-21 miles and that, so ‘they’ say, is enough. To find the extra 5.2 on the day is ‘easy’ with the adrenaline and support on the big day.

I did manage two 26.2 mile runs before the event. One in shite conditions (no advised) and one close to the event (no great for the body) but it gave me the knowledge I could do it and trim time off.

My finish time was 3 hours 21mins. A very good time for a novice by all accounts but I’ve got no desire to go beat that or test that any time soon. Might just stay there as my marker forever.

Brilliant, man. Thanks. I just need a challenge, I need a focus to achieve anything in the physical realm. 100 pushups challenge, done. Currently stuck on the 25 pullups challenge, max is 10 so far (that's wide arm, palms oot.). Chin ups, easy. I weirdly like running but I'll no go out if I've no focus. Been at the gym 3 times a week since November, running and strength training (to achieve the 25 pullups goal). Sticking at it, but I need a shorter term goal. I see there's a marathon in Ed in May, so that's 45 weeks. Plenty time :)

Brainwrong

Spaktacuradge
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Monthly Radge
I've done a couple, last one being the day we were relegated back in 2014. @Stu doesn't post often (ever?) on here anymore, but he used to be a serious runner and can probably offer better advice than me. But here's my tips anyway:

1. I know exactly what you mean with regards the treadmill giving you the option of bailing at any given point. I trained for my first marathon mostly on a treadmill for that very reason. I would however suggest attempting more road runs as I don't think persistent long distance runs on the treadmill did my knees any favours and as such I was carrying an injury into the race.

2. If you are considering doing the Edinburgh marathon IMO it has its pros and cons. Big positive is it is flat (one of the flattest in the world) and therefore potentially easier although the time of year it's held at it can be scorching hot! Big negative is the route is bloody boring! There is a point just after Musselburgh where you can see about 5 miles of East Lothian coastline in front of you, all lined with runners. It can be quite disheartening. Also you're lucky if 5 miles of the race take place in what I would term Edinburgh. The Great Edinburgh run (10 miler) is a better race for seeing the city IMO.

3. It's worth investing in a decent set of wireless headphones to make the longer training runs a bit more interesting. A decent playlist can motivate you during the tough points, and a good podcast can help relieve the boredom.

4. Make up your own training plan that works for you, but base it loosely around one of the established plans you can find via Google. I made mine using Excel I'll see if I can dig it out. Try and incorporate a couple of other, shorter distance, races into the plan if possible (e.g. a 10k/10 mile/half marathon).

5. You're right - doing it for charity definitely motivates you as you feel obliged not to let the charity or your sponsors down!

Good luck!
Great tips, man. I do most of my work outs to hour long mixes, I know the mixes well (most are my own) so, I am mostly distracted from the reality of the situation as I'm concentrating on the music rather than the exercise. Autopilot. I use the JaybirdRun true wireless earbuds. No wires, just two buds. Really good. Used to run with jaybirds that have a wire between but, whilst fine for sedentary exercise like weights, they can be right nippy with the wire bouncing off your neck when running.

Power

Bounce Flag Co-Owner
Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Part of Bounce
Brilliant, man. Thanks. I just need a challenge, I need a focus to achieve anything in the physical realm. 100 pushups challenge, done. Currently stuck on the 25 pullups challenge, max is 10 so far (that's wide arm, palms oot.). Chin ups, easy. I weirdly like running but I'll no go out if I've no focus. Been at the gym 3 times a week since November, running and strength training (to achieve the 25 pullups goal). Sticking at it, but I need a shorter term goal. I see there's a marathon in Ed in May, so that's 45 weeks. Plenty time :)
You’ve got mair upper body strength than me, that’s for sure. This thread has fair given me a kick up the arse as I look ootside. Braw.

Good to mix runs up (I did a couple with a running group and a fair number with my other half) keeps it fresh.

Gies a shout for a run and I’ll be there, to be yer mixer (oo-er).

vasco de gama

Radge Private Member
Private Member
Bounce Radge

View attachment 1033
Fantastic stuff. Shows exactly why you were able to put your mind to getting the vote for Fan Rep. That time is excellent and pretty much the benchmark any ‘fun runner’ could ever hope to reach. Any faster and I reckon you’d need to be part of a group.

I’ve completed 3 marathons and would only ever do another if it was for a great charity. Now I do half marathons as they don’t destroy my body and it’s far easier to stick to the training schedule. For me I find the long training required for a marathon invites the risk of injury too much and it’s too long for me to go without having a party / holiday. You have amazing dedication and perseverance or maybe I’m too much of a flake and find excuses to skip training.

Brainwrong

Spaktacuradge
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Monthly Radge
Spoke to my PT pal down the gym this morning, he said don't even bother with a programme until max 20 weeks out. This will reduce potential for injury. The ED marathon is In May, 45 weeks or so. Far too early to be starting training for that.

tricky

Radge Private Member
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Monthly Radge
Any of you runners ever had plantar fasciitis? Been affected for about 8 / 9 months now, running and five a side football career on hold..

SKII

Administrator
Administrator
Radge Donator
Lewis Flag Donator
Monthly Radge
Any of you runners ever had plantar fasciitis? Been affected for about 8 / 9 months now, running and five a side football career on hold..
Have you seen a podiatrist? Worth it if the symptoms have persisted for a while

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors