• Hi there, if you are wanting to register, you will need a registration code. To obtain said code please email hibs@hibeesbounce.com with a brief description of why you want to become part of the bounce. Please also supply us with your IP address Click here if you do not know your IP Thank You. GGTTH
  • Could Users Please note that the Rules state you must seek Permission before posting any Auctions, or Sales.

Anyone run a marathon?

Westside Green

Radge Private Member
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Any of you runners ever had plantar fasciitis? Been affected for about 8 / 9 months now, running and five a side football career on hold..
Boy in my work has it. Insoles, stretching and lacing up his trainers different were the treatments.

Davy

get off yer bum an sing radge
Flag Owner
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Ladies Player Sponsor
Weirdly I just ran my first full marathon on Sunday 0ast up Dundee. I only took up running last year and had done 3 half marathon. I haven't read all the advice above so far so eont add anything for now other than to say I have enjoyed taking up running and join g a club has helped with the motivation. Age and condition...unless seriously overweight are no barriers to joining a club or training for races.

Brainwrong

Spaktacuradge
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Monthly Radge
Weirdly I just ran my first full marathon on Sunday 0ast up Dundee. I only took up running last year and had done 3 half marathon. I haven't read all the advice above so far so eont add anything for now other than to say I have enjoyed taking up running and join g a club has helped with the motivation. Age and condition...unless seriously overweight are no barriers to joining a club or training for races.
Shows you how quick your body can adapt with some great exercise, eh?

Read a study recently, will see if I can find it, where they took a health / cardiovascular sample (in the 1970s) of about 100 folk (in their 30s - 40s); half got into the running/aerobic phase in the '70s the other 50% continued with a sedentary lifestyle.
40 years later they assessed the same folk. The sedentary folk that were still alive were reasonably ill & struggling across the board. The folk that continued with running and an active lifestyle had hearts of 40 year olds (their hearts, not blackmarket ones).

Found the study, it was 70 folk!

"Lifelong exercisers had a cardiovascular system that looked 30 years younger," says Trappe. This is noteworthy because, for the average adult, the ability to process oxygen declines by about 10 percent per decade after age 30.

"It's kind of a slow decay over time that's probably not so noticeable in your 30s or 40s," says Trappe, but eventually as years go on, becomes apparent. People can get out of breath more easily and may have difficulty pushing themselves physically.

Davy

get off yer bum an sing radge
Flag Owner
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Ladies Player Sponsor
Interesting article Brainwrong. I saw a couple of pics years ago of two elderly people who had died and left their body to science. They cut the legs in half and looked at the make up of one hoe had been running and the other who was pretty much a couch potato. One leg was like a sirloin steak with good red muscle and the other was almost completely white with fatty material.

Anyway I was over 50 when I developed type 2 diabetes. Within a few years I was on metformin and glyclizide twice a day. The beginning of last year I turned 55 and was getting fed up with having attended the gym for two years with no sign of losing weight, so I decided to do a little running. Couple of months later a friend told me about their Godchild in Ukraine who needed an emergency operation, so I said why don't I try for a sponsored half marathon. At the time I think the most I had got up to was 8-10 miles. Anyway I entered the West Lothian in September and done it in 2 hours 6 mins. I decided that I would keep it up.

One of the things I done to help was join Portobello running club, they are great there. Cracking good runner mix with very average runners but there is no sense of elitism and everyone gets applauded for their efforts.

As to the running, well if you are younger and fitter you will manage ok. Injuries and niggles can be very frustrating. After the first half marathon I could barely stand or sit because my back was so stiff and sore...this is common for first timers as you use muscles you don't usually and will pass. The glute muscles from your bum to knee will likely become inflamed but these are all things that can be worked on with stretches and massage. As I said, I am now 56 so the younger you start the better. My knee is still sore and I am waiting to see a physio, but remarkably it does not hurt much when I run so I tend to just get on with it.

Injuries asoide the mental block is very real, I usually have to run with music, but the full marathon I had to do without as it was on the road and so earphones were not permitted. You would be amazed how focused you get on the run and recording time, if you take a watch that I never missed the music at all. but in training mix it up. Do some longer runs...most people do not run over 20 miles before going into a marathon. But also do some short sprints..walk sprint..walk etc. Do some half mile runs, or run fast for say 5 mins..2 min recover then 4 mins 3 mins 2 mins etc...it doesn't sound much but leaves you knackered. Do some running on hills or dirt tracks for variety. And keep doing core excercises like squats and the plank, these will help your back and upper legs. Good luck to anyone doing a marathon or other sport.

Oh and I am now on zero medication for my diabetes and sugar levels on a par with most normal healthy people

Forzahibs

I'm a Radge Donator
Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Monthly Radge
Shows you how quick your body can adapt with some great exercise, eh?

Read a study recently, will see if I can find it, where they took a health / cardiovascular sample (in the 1970s) of about 100 folk (in their 30s - 40s); half got into the running/aerobic phase in the '70s the other 50% continued with a sedentary lifestyle.
40 years later they assessed the same folk. The sedentary folk that were still alive were reasonably ill & struggling across the board. The folk that continued with running and an active lifestyle had hearts of 40 year olds (their hearts, not blackmarket ones).

Found the study, it was 70 folk!

"Lifelong exercisers had a cardiovascular system that looked 30 years younger," says Trappe. This is noteworthy because, for the average adult, the ability to process oxygen declines by about 10 percent per decade after age 30.

"It's kind of a slow decay over time that's probably not so noticeable in your 30s or 40s," says Trappe, but eventually as years go on, becomes apparent. People can get out of breath more easily and may have difficulty pushing themselves physically.
I'm approaching 58 and been eating mega healthy and doing a fair bit of cycling , the result is 17 lb weight loss and I feel better than I have in years both physically and mentally . Rain hail or shine I now bike to work and regularly set personal bests , my recovery time is a fraction of what it used to be too .
Should've done it years ago

Power

Bounce Flag Co-Owner
Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Part of Bounce
I'm approaching 58 and been eating mega healthy and doing a fair bit of cycling , the result is 17 lb weight loss and I feel better than I have in years both physically and mentally . Rain hail or shine I now bike to work and regularly set personal bests , my recovery time is a fraction of what it used to be too .
Get in there. Love it.

southfieldhibby

Radge Private Member
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Player Sponsor
Lewis Flag Donator
Excellent Darren

The Family

Capital Radge
Radge Donator
Bounce Radge
Gray Boot Sponsor
Weigh in Saturday reveals 4 lb loss for the 3rd week in a row so thats 21 lbs now . Not on the bike this morning as decking outside so a bit tired from that . Hopefully under 17 stone soon though
Amazing Daz, it's easy to put the weight on but much harder to lose it, keep it up mate.

Sir Shrink

Quite a bit past it radge
Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Player Sponsor
Lewis Flag Donator
Monthly Radge
Weigh in Saturday reveals 4 lb loss for the 3rd week in a row so thats 21 lbs now . Not on the bike this morning as decking outside so a bit tired from that . Hopefully under 17 stone soon though
Last time I lost 4 pound in a week was betting on Hibs.
Who did you deck? That sounds a far better way of exercising.

It's all these feckin holidays that piles on the weight. Try staying in this country for a few months, but nae chips/deep fried anything/beer/cake...

I need a holiday after typing that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors