• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

Anyone run a marathon?

Brainwrong

Spaktacuradge
Private Member
Reaction score
Thinking I need a new challenge/focus [read; addiction].

Any advice appreciated. I'm adept at 5km in the gym & outdoor. Fitness levels are good. Never done an outdoor 10km or greater.

One blocker I have is mental, when I'm outdoors, there some kind of block where I lose interest in a run after 5km. I think a solid planned route would help with that, perhaps.

On the treadmill I feel I can go for a fair amount of time and I think a large part of that is that I'm essentially very lazy, when I run on a treadmill, I know I'll be exactly where I started no matter when I decide to finish. But if I'm out on a run, I know I can't just quit i.e. I'll still have to get back to my starting point. Which fills me with apathy.

Maybe a charity run for Dnipro or something might help me pull the finger out.

Thinking out loud for a change...

Canny believe I was reading this and this came up on the telly! Fate, I tell ye!

You're sorted!

good luck.

I've done a couple, last one being the day we were relegated back in 2014. @Stu doesn't post often (ever?) on here anymore, but he used to be a serious runner and can probably offer better advice than me. But here's my tips anyway:

1. I know exactly what you mean with regards the treadmill giving you the option of bailing at any given point. I trained for my first marathon mostly on a treadmill for that very reason. I would however suggest attempting more road runs as I don't think persistent long distance runs on the treadmill did my knees any favours and as such I was carrying an injury into the race.

2. If you are considering doing the Edinburgh marathon IMO it has its pros and cons. Big positive is it is flat (one of the flattest in the world) and therefore potentially easier although the time of year it's held at it can be scorching hot! Big negative is the route is bloody boring! There is a point just after Musselburgh where you can see about 5 miles of East Lothian coastline in front of you, all lined with runners. It can be quite disheartening. Also you're lucky if 5 miles of the race take place in what I would term Edinburgh. The Great Edinburgh run (10 miler) is a better race for seeing the city IMO.

3. It's worth investing in a decent set of wireless headphones to make the longer training runs a bit more interesting. A decent playlist can motivate you during the tough points, and a good podcast can help relieve the boredom.

4. Make up your own training plan that works for you, but base it loosely around one of the established plans you can find via Google. I made mine using Excel I'll see if I can dig it out. Try and incorporate a couple of other, shorter distance, races into the plan if possible (e.g. a 10k/10 mile/half marathon).

5. You're right - doing it for charity definitely motivates you as you feel obliged not to let the charity or your sponsors down!

Good luck!

I've done a couple, last one being the day we were relegated back in 2014. @Stu doesn't post often (ever?) on here anymore, but he used to be a serious runner and can probably offer better advice than me.

Whatever happened to Stu - another Bouncer who was a decent contributor but maybe got lured into Faceboak, or Instantgran or one of these places.

We've lost quite a few good guys over the last year or so...

:cryy:

Whatever happened to Stu - another Bouncer who was a decent contributor but maybe got lured into Faceboak, or Instantgran or one of these places.

We've lost quite a few good guys over the last year or so...

:cryy:
I think he migrated to Mass Hibsteria as his main Hibs Chat and then when it shut down he kinda continued that on Facebook and elsewhere. Stopped posting on Dotnet too.

I’ve done one and that’s enough for me - Amsterdam 2016 (went for the flattest of the flat).

I already had a bit of conditioning from football and cycling but like yourself, had never ran over anything 7-10k before. Amsterdam’s Marathon is in October so I gave myself four months after returning from holiday to build up endurance.

I really chuck myself into things fully, ?, but with a bit of realism. Running three times a week to start. 3 miles, 4 miles (repeating both those mileages for weeks) 5 miles and 6. Forgetting about pace, Distance focused.

Shoes? You’ve got shite shoes. Went and got myself running shoes that complimented my running style.

Let’s start running to work. 6 miles, 7 miles, 8 miles. Pace is coming now, recovery important too. Favouring longer miles at the weekend - 10, 11 and being burst.

No more than three weeks before the event I was getting up to 20-21 miles and that, so ‘they’ say, is enough. To find the extra 5.2 on the day is ‘easy’ with the adrenaline and support on the big day.

I did manage two 26.2 mile runs before the event. One in shite conditions (no advised) and one close to the event (no great for the body) but it gave me the knowledge I could do it and trim time off.

My finish time was 3 hours 21mins. A very good time for a novice by all accounts but I’ve got no desire to go beat that or test that any time soon. Might just stay there as my marker forever.

Once you start K you’ll get the bug to beat the distance again. And again.

The final distance seems way off but it’s closer than you think.

I’ve done one and that’s enough for me - Amsterdam 2016 (went for the flattest of the flat).

I already had a bit of conditioning from football and cycling but like yourself, had never ran over anything 7-10k before. Amsterdam’s Marathon is in October so I gave myself four months after returning from holiday to build up endurance.

I really chuck myself into things fully, ?, but with a bit of realism. Running three times a week to start. 3 miles, 4 miles (repeating both those mileages for weeks) 5 miles and 6. Forgetting about pace, Distance focused.

Shoes? You’ve got shite shoes. Went and got myself running shoes that complimented my running style.

Let’s start running to work. 6 miles, 7 miles, 8 miles. Pace is coming now, recovery important too. Favouring longer miles at the weekend - 10, 11 and being burst.

No more than three weeks before the event I was getting up to 20-21 miles and that, so ‘they’ say, is enough. To find the extra 5.2 on the day is ‘easy’ with the adrenaline and support on the big day.

I did manage two 26.2 mile runs before the event. One in shite conditions (no advised) and one close to the event (no great for the body) but it gave me the knowledge I could do it and trim time off.

My finish time was 3 hours 21mins. A very good time for a novice by all accounts but I’ve got no desire to go beat that or test that any time soon. Might just stay there as my marker forever.

Brilliant, man. Thanks. I just need a challenge, I need a focus to achieve anything in the physical realm. 100 pushups challenge, done. Currently stuck on the 25 pullups challenge, max is 10 so far (that's wide arm, palms oot.). Chin ups, easy. I weirdly like running but I'll no go out if I've no focus. Been at the gym 3 times a week since November, running and strength training (to achieve the 25 pullups goal). Sticking at it, but I need a shorter term goal. I see there's a marathon in Ed in May, so that's 45 weeks. Plenty time :)

I've done a couple, last one being the day we were relegated back in 2014. @Stu doesn't post often (ever?) on here anymore, but he used to be a serious runner and can probably offer better advice than me. But here's my tips anyway:

1. I know exactly what you mean with regards the treadmill giving you the option of bailing at any given point. I trained for my first marathon mostly on a treadmill for that very reason. I would however suggest attempting more road runs as I don't think persistent long distance runs on the treadmill did my knees any favours and as such I was carrying an injury into the race.

2. If you are considering doing the Edinburgh marathon IMO it has its pros and cons. Big positive is it is flat (one of the flattest in the world) and therefore potentially easier although the time of year it's held at it can be scorching hot! Big negative is the route is bloody boring! There is a point just after Musselburgh where you can see about 5 miles of East Lothian coastline in front of you, all lined with runners. It can be quite disheartening. Also you're lucky if 5 miles of the race take place in what I would term Edinburgh. The Great Edinburgh run (10 miler) is a better race for seeing the city IMO.

3. It's worth investing in a decent set of wireless headphones to make the longer training runs a bit more interesting. A decent playlist can motivate you during the tough points, and a good podcast can help relieve the boredom.

4. Make up your own training plan that works for you, but base it loosely around one of the established plans you can find via Google. I made mine using Excel I'll see if I can dig it out. Try and incorporate a couple of other, shorter distance, races into the plan if possible (e.g. a 10k/10 mile/half marathon).

5. You're right - doing it for charity definitely motivates you as you feel obliged not to let the charity or your sponsors down!

Good luck!

Great tips, man. I do most of my work outs to hour long mixes, I know the mixes well (most are my own) so, I am mostly distracted from the reality of the situation as I'm concentrating on the music rather than the exercise. Autopilot. I use the JaybirdRun true wireless earbuds. No wires, just two buds. Really good. Used to run with jaybirds that have a wire between but, whilst fine for sedentary exercise like weights, they can be right nippy with the wire bouncing off your neck when running.

Brilliant, man. Thanks. I just need a challenge, I need a focus to achieve anything in the physical realm. 100 pushups challenge, done. Currently stuck on the 25 pullups challenge, max is 10 so far (that's wide arm, palms oot.). Chin ups, easy. I weirdly like running but I'll no go out if I've no focus. Been at the gym 3 times a week since November, running and strength training (to achieve the 25 pullups goal). Sticking at it, but I need a shorter term goal. I see there's a marathon in Ed in May, so that's 45 weeks. Plenty time :)

You’ve got mair upper body strength than me, that’s for sure. This thread has fair given me a kick up the arse as I look ootside. Braw.

Good to mix runs up (I did a couple with a running group and a fair number with my other half) keeps it fresh.

Gies a shout for a run and I’ll be there, to be yer mixer (oo-er).

View attachment 1033
Fantastic stuff. Shows exactly why you were able to put your mind to getting the vote for Fan Rep. That time is excellent and pretty much the benchmark any ‘fun runner’ could ever hope to reach. Any faster and I reckon you’d need to be part of a group.

I’ve completed 3 marathons and would only ever do another if it was for a great charity. Now I do half marathons as they don’t destroy my body and it’s far easier to stick to the training schedule. For me I find the long training required for a marathon invites the risk of injury too much and it’s too long for me to go without having a party / holiday. You have amazing dedication and perseverance or maybe I’m too much of a flake and find excuses to skip training.

I once ran for about ten miles,got home and my big toenail came off.Never again.

Spoke to my PT pal down the gym this morning, he said don't even bother with a programme until max 20 weeks out. This will reduce potential for injury. The ED marathon is In May, 45 weeks or so. Far too early to be starting training for that.

Training plan from 2014 attached. I'm sure the colour coding had some kind of significance back then but struggling to remember now!

Attachments

• Edinburgh Marathon Training Plan.pdf
    432.6 KB · Views: 4
Training plan from 2014 attached. I'm sure the colour coding had some kind of significance back then but struggling to remember now!

Brilliant, man. Thank you :)

Brilliant, man. Thank you :)

Kev’s running with us too. I’ve no asked likes.

Bounce running group? ?

Bounce running group? ?

How many of us in the EH6 area?

There's a group of Hibs fans who road run from the stadium when the Fit Fans are on? A lot of them do road races or things like Tough Mudder so the group is a sociable, Hibby part of their training/keep fit regime.

Any of you runners ever had plantar fasciitis? Been affected for about 8 / 9 months now, running and five a side football career on hold..

Any of you runners ever had plantar fasciitis? Been affected for about 8 / 9 months now, running and five a side football career on hold..
Have you seen a podiatrist? Worth it if the symptoms have persisted for a while

How many of us in the EH6 area?

I am.

If you run by my house I'll top up your water bottle ?

Have you seen a podiatrist? Worth it if the symptoms have persisted for a while

No just physio’s, might try a podiatrist

Boy in my work has it. Insoles, stretching and lacing up his trainers different were the treatments.

Weirdly I just ran my first full marathon on Sunday 0ast up Dundee. I only took up running last year and had done 3 half marathon. I haven't read all the advice above so far so eont add anything for now other than to say I have enjoyed taking up running and join g a club has helped with the motivation. Age and condition...unless seriously overweight are no barriers to joining a club or training for races.

Weirdly I just ran my first full marathon on Sunday 0ast up Dundee. I only took up running last year and had done 3 half marathon. I haven't read all the advice above so far so eont add anything for now other than to say I have enjoyed taking up running and join g a club has helped with the motivation. Age and condition...unless seriously overweight are no barriers to joining a club or training for races.

Shows you how quick your body can adapt with some great exercise, eh?

Read a study recently, will see if I can find it, where they took a health / cardiovascular sample (in the 1970s) of about 100 folk (in their 30s - 40s); half got into the running/aerobic phase in the '70s the other 50% continued with a sedentary lifestyle.
40 years later they assessed the same folk. The sedentary folk that were still alive were reasonably ill & struggling across the board. The folk that continued with running and an active lifestyle had hearts of 40 year olds (their hearts, not blackmarket ones).

Found the study, it was 70 folk!

"Lifelong exercisers had a cardiovascular system that looked 30 years younger," says Trappe. This is noteworthy because, for the average adult, the ability to process oxygen declines by about 10 percent per decade after age 30.

"It's kind of a slow decay over time that's probably not so noticeable in your 30s or 40s," says Trappe, but eventually as years go on, becomes apparent. People can get out of breath more easily and may have difficulty pushing themselves physically.

That physiology site doesn't let you read the whole study. Got a good summary of it here: https://www.npr.org/sections/health...ts-that-look-30-years-younger?t=1562829762195

(their hearts, not blackmarket ones).

:giggley:

Interesting article Brainwrong. I saw a couple of pics years ago of two elderly people who had died and left their body to science. They cut the legs in half and looked at the make up of one hoe had been running and the other who was pretty much a couch potato. One leg was like a sirloin steak with good red muscle and the other was almost completely white with fatty material.

Anyway I was over 50 when I developed type 2 diabetes. Within a few years I was on metformin and glyclizide twice a day. The beginning of last year I turned 55 and was getting fed up with having attended the gym for two years with no sign of losing weight, so I decided to do a little running. Couple of months later a friend told me about their Godchild in Ukraine who needed an emergency operation, so I said why don't I try for a sponsored half marathon. At the time I think the most I had got up to was 8-10 miles. Anyway I entered the West Lothian in September and done it in 2 hours 6 mins. I decided that I would keep it up.

One of the things I done to help was join Portobello running club, they are great there. Cracking good runner mix with very average runners but there is no sense of elitism and everyone gets applauded for their efforts.

As to the running, well if you are younger and fitter you will manage ok. Injuries and niggles can be very frustrating. After the first half marathon I could barely stand or sit because my back was so stiff and sore...this is common for first timers as you use muscles you don't usually and will pass. The glute muscles from your bum to knee will likely become inflamed but these are all things that can be worked on with stretches and massage. As I said, I am now 56 so the younger you start the better. My knee is still sore and I am waiting to see a physio, but remarkably it does not hurt much when I run so I tend to just get on with it.

Injuries asoide the mental block is very real, I usually have to run with music, but the full marathon I had to do without as it was on the road and so earphones were not permitted. You would be amazed how focused you get on the run and recording time, if you take a watch that I never missed the music at all. but in training mix it up. Do some longer runs...most people do not run over 20 miles before going into a marathon. But also do some short sprints..walk sprint..walk etc. Do some half mile runs, or run fast for say 5 mins..2 min recover then 4 mins 3 mins 2 mins etc...it doesn't sound much but leaves you knackered. Do some running on hills or dirt tracks for variety. And keep doing core excercises like squats and the plank, these will help your back and upper legs. Good luck to anyone doing a marathon or other sport.

Oh and I am now on zero medication for my diabetes and sugar levels on a par with most normal healthy people

Shows you how quick your body can adapt with some great exercise, eh?

Read a study recently, will see if I can find it, where they took a health / cardiovascular sample (in the 1970s) of about 100 folk (in their 30s - 40s); half got into the running/aerobic phase in the '70s the other 50% continued with a sedentary lifestyle.
40 years later they assessed the same folk. The sedentary folk that were still alive were reasonably ill & struggling across the board. The folk that continued with running and an active lifestyle had hearts of 40 year olds (their hearts, not blackmarket ones).

Found the study, it was 70 folk!

"Lifelong exercisers had a cardiovascular system that looked 30 years younger," says Trappe. This is noteworthy because, for the average adult, the ability to process oxygen declines by about 10 percent per decade after age 30.

"It's kind of a slow decay over time that's probably not so noticeable in your 30s or 40s," says Trappe, but eventually as years go on, becomes apparent. People can get out of breath more easily and may have difficulty pushing themselves physically.

I'm approaching 58 and been eating mega healthy and doing a fair bit of cycling , the result is 17 lb weight loss and I feel better than I have in years both physically and mentally . Rain hail or shine I now bike to work and regularly set personal bests , my recovery time is a fraction of what it used to be too .
Should've done it years ago

I'm approaching 58 and been eating mega healthy and doing a fair bit of cycling , the result is 17 lb weight loss and I feel better than I have in years both physically and mentally . Rain hail or shine I now bike to work and regularly set personal bests , my recovery time is a fraction of what it used to be too .

Get in there. Love it.

Bounce running group? ?

The Bounce should enter a team or 2 in the EM hairy haggis relay next year?! I'd be well up for that.

Excellent Darren

Excellent Darren

Weigh in Saturday reveals 4 lb loss for the 3rd week in a row so thats 21 lbs now . Not on the bike this morning as decking outside so a bit tired from that . Hopefully under 17 stone soon though

Weigh in Saturday reveals 4 lb loss for the 3rd week in a row so thats 21 lbs now . Not on the bike this morning as decking outside so a bit tired from that . Hopefully under 17 stone soon though

Amazing Daz, it's easy to put the weight on but much harder to lose it, keep it up mate.

Amazing Daz, it's easy to put the weight on but much harder to lose it, keep it up mate.

Aye very true

Last time I lost 4 pound in a week was betting on Hibs.
Who did you deck? That sounds a far better way of exercising.

It's all these feckin holidays that piles on the weight. Try staying in this country for a few months, but nae chips/deep fried anything/beer/cake...

I need a holiday after typing that.

Aye me too :47:

Thinking I need a new challenge/focus [read; addiction].

Any advice appreciated. I'm adept at 5km in the gym & outdoor. Fitness levels are good. Never done an outdoor 10km or greater.

One blocker I have is mental, when I'm outdoors, there some kind of block where I lose interest in a run after 5km. I think a solid planned route would help with that, perhaps.

On the treadmill I feel I can go for a fair amount of time and I think a large part of that is that I'm essentially very lazy, when I run on a treadmill, I know I'll be exactly where I started no matter when I decide to finish. But if I'm out on a run, I know I can't just quit i.e. I'll still have to get back to my starting point. Which fills me with apathy.

Maybe a charity run for Dnipro or something might help me pull the finger out.

Thinking out loud for a change...

I hate you so much right now. “You” people.

Well done Darren,I've been on a self destructive streak since the turn of the year,mental health away to shit and ignored my t2 diabetes,a bollocking of a 6ft + Norn iron female nurse has got me back on track.
Following a very low carb diet and 8lb down in 2 weeks.
Also doing the million step challenge for diabetes

Well done Darren,I've been on a self destructive streak since the turn of the year,mental health away to shit and ignored my t2 diabetes,a bollocking of a 6ft + Norn iron female nurse has got me back on track.

From personal experience there is nowt scarier than a Norn Iron female.

Nice one , i'm determined not to fall off the wagon this time . Keep it up Roy

This thread has been viewed 4047 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£100.75
Back