• Stay at home. Protect Everyone.

Save Lives, Stay Safe.

Hibs Kids In Hospital - Thank You NHS Shirt Donation

Qries

Youth team/system

Hammi

Top radge
Admin
All the chat of it being mothballed. All the coaches away or leaving. Eddie May is a big loss to our club. I'm sure he's done good work, he's always stepped up when he's been asked to and he helped keep us together between managers this season.

I think this is quite a scary idea. It isn't something you can just reopen one day and everything goes back to normal.
How long would it take to get it moving again? And how do we decide we are even in a position to do so?
It will take so much time to replace everything we will lose if this happens.

I'm worried.

PILTONSTANY

Shameless Radge
Bounce Radge
If we consider JC opinion as being valid then maybe we look at it as an opportunity to do things differently in future,it is a worry what is happening but money talks.

Hammi

Top radge
Admin
If we consider JC opinion as being valid then maybe we look at it as an opportunity to do things differently in future,it is a worry what is happening but money talks.

He says only Porteous has come through, he's wrong.
We've had other players who in different circumstances could've had a presence on the squad over the years.

I'd argue that recently we have been doing things differently and that the problems he's aware of were a few years outdated by now.

Greenmachine

Bounce Radge
I'm not happy at all with the Youth Academy being put into cold storage for God knows how long. It's absolutely essential for a club like Hibs to have a a strong Youth set-up and we had very good people both scouting and coaching our young players. To see these coaches and likely the young players themselves being discarded is absolutely brutal. . I know the reasons as to why we are doing it, but it really is bad news.
Trying to be positive, it does give us a chance to have a look at things again during the intervening time and see where we can improve things. To be honest I don't put much credence into what John Collins is saying in the media today. I loved the guy as a player but I have always thought he lived in a bit of an imaginary world when it came to scottish football, so much so that when the realities of coaching and managing in Scotland hit him he ran for the hills and hasn't been back since. You can't produce something from nothing. If there is talent out there our scouts will find it and the club will nurture that talent. If there is not enough footballing talent out there, we just have to make do and work with what we have. I would argue that Hibs have brought through several excellent youngsters in the last few years despite what he says. The problem with them has been their attitude and desire and that has nothing to do with the quality of the youth academy and how it operates and everything to do with the lads themselves. We can only do so much.
I really hope we can get the Academy back up and running just as soon as it is possible to do so. Youth Academies are vital for scottish football.

Last edited:

EA2007

Last Of The Summer Wine Radge
Bounce Radge
Maybe going down the route of Brentford and have a B team. Scrap the academy and pick up the best of the players who have been through the academy system at other clubs.....and were released obviously.

Brentford B - including Kane O’Connor the Scotland age groups captain who Hibs agreed to release - travel and play varied opposition in different countries rather than domestic league set up. Hibs already started similar by playing the likes of English opposition.C9441A30-3E43-4B54-88B1-9820481F1B6B.jpeg

Greenmachine

Bounce Radge
Maybe go down the route of Brentford and have a B team. Scrap the academy and pick up the best of the players who have been through the academy system at other clubs.

Brentford B - including Kane O’Connor the Scotland age groups captain who Hibs agreed to release - travel and play varied opposition in different countries rather than domestic league set up. Hibs already started similar by playing the likes of English opposition.
I can see that happening with Hibs.

Hammi

Top radge
Admin
Maybe going down the route of Brentford and have a B team. Scrap the academy and pick up the best of the players who have been through the academy system at other clubs.....and were released obviously.

Brentford B - including Kane O’Connor the Scotland age groups captain who Hibs agreed to release - travel and play varied opposition in different countries rather than domestic league set up. Hibs already started similar by playing the likes of English opposition.
If we pick up players who have been through other academies then they'll likely be wanting to play first team football?
I agree with the way we recently started using the team though, gives them a chance to play stronger opposition and get them prepared for what forst team football feels like. It's definitely a step towards bridging that gap that a loan to a lower league club can't really give anymore imo

Jack

Bounce Radge
Yeah I was a bit disappointed too but what could Hibs do?

Football below the very upper levels have been halted with little sign as to when it can all get back to working, training, playing etc..

I haven't been following it too closely but I hope Hibs have said to all those involved coaching staff and players at all levels they'll all be welcomed back as soon as it practical.

SlovSam

Bounce Radge
I'm not happy at all with the Youth Academy being put into cold storage for God knows how long. It's absolutely essential for a club like Hibs to have a a strong Youth set-up and we had very good people both scouting and coaching our young players. To see these coaches and likely the young players themselves being discarded is absolutely brutal. . I know the reasons as to why we are doing it, but it really is bad news.
Trying to be positive, it does give us a chance to have a look at things again during the intervening time and see where we can improve things. To be honest I don't put much credence into what John Collins is saying in the media today. I loved the guy as a player but I have always thought he lived in a bit of an imaginary world when it came to scottish football, so much so that when the realities of coaching and managing in Scotland hit him he ran for the hills and hasn't been back since. You can't produce something from nothing. If there is talent out there our scouts will find it and the club will nurture that talent. If there is not enough footballing talent out there, we just have to make do and work with what we have. I would argue that Hibs have brought through several excellent youngsters in the last few years despite what he says. The problem with them has been their attitude and desire and that has nothing to do with the quality of the youth academy and how it operates and everything to do with the lads themselves. We can only do so much.
I really hope we can get the Academy back up and running just as soon as it is possible to do so. Youth Academies are vital for scottish football.
You really do write some of the most perceptive and interesting observations on all aspects of Hibs.✅

I just wish you would write in paragraphs.😉

HibeeZab

Admin
Being brutally honest the academy has been a complete failure. Have we produced one sellable asset from the academy since East Mains opened? Porteous looks to be the first.

A temporary shutdown and completely fresh restart isn’t the worst thing - a new set up, new ideas, new vision, clear plan of how we actually get players ready to play for our first team.

That said I feel real sympathy for the staff and players who are losing their jobs, and their opportunities to develop. Across the Scottish game there are going to be an awful lot of young players who’s chances of making it might be gone as a result of all this.

hibbiemacfie

Bounce Radge
In an ideal world the Academy should produce quality young players ready to play first team football, progress and be sold on for big fees. Then there should be replacements ready again from the Academy to take their place. This has not been happening at least not often. Maybe the way ahead is to sign young players in the John McGinn mould.

Demonbarber6-2

Bounce Radge
I do feel the academy is very important at a club the size and stature of hibs.. However I echo other posters concerns about the lack of talent/sellable assets that have come through the ranks recently..
Hopefully Porto.. fraser Murray.. and gullan who are ruff diamonds can seize the opportunity that they will get with a trimmed squad and develop into quality spl players or better..
Side note... Does anyone know if any of the younger fringe lads have been kept on?

SuperTortolano

Bounce Radge
I’m sure this we go against the grain, but I’d rather we go back to the old school way of things. Have the laddies cleaning the boots and stands. So many ex players that come on the Si Ferry podcast talk about that actually helped them develop in to a player and toughen them up. Apart from Porto, all we’ve brought through are a bunch of soft nice boys that haven’t cut the mustard. Shaw, Harris and Stanton all come to mind.

HibeeZab

Admin
I’m sure this we go against the grain, but I’d rather we go back to the old school way of things. Have the laddies cleaning the boots and stands. So many ex players that come on the Si Ferry podcast talk about that actually helped them develop in to a player and toughen them up. Apart from Porto, all we’ve brought through are a bunch of soft nice boys that haven’t cut the mustard. Shaw, Harris and Stanton all come to mind.
There has been a real lack of “characters” developed through the academy, no doubt about it. For me that mentality and self belief is just as important as ability when it comes to breaking into first team football.

SuperTortolano

Bounce Radge
There has been a real lack of “characters” developed through the academy, no doubt about it. For me that mentality and self belief is just as important as ability when it comes to breaking into first team football.
Definitely agree with that. I actually like the fact that Porteos has that "nasty" side about him. Not afraid to take one for the team. Granted it's not good clocking up a ton of red cards, but it's a good mentality.

I honestly wouldn't be apposed to having someone like Yogi running the youth side of things in the future. Better to have that sink or swim attitude figured out early. Playing "development" games in a nice cosy environment, doesn't do these lads any favors for when they visit places like Ibrox or the bus shelter.

HibeeZab

Admin
Definitely agree with that. I actually like the fact that Porteos has that "nasty" side about him. Not afraid to take one for the team. Granted it's not good clocking up a ton of red cards, but it's a good mentality.

I honestly wouldn't be apposed to having someone like Yogi running the youth side of things in the future. Better to have that sink or swim attitude figured out early. Playing "development" games in a nice cosy environment, doesn't do these lads any favors for when they visit places like Ibrox or the bus shelter.
I’m no sure about the Yogi part!! But agree with the sentiment.

As someone else mentioned replicating the Brentford B set up, which might have been where we were heading anyway, seems much more useful - get players used to travelling, playing against proper senior pros, in proper stadiums.

tricky

Bounce Radge
For all his faults surprised Yogi hasn’t got another job in football, overall record is alright and won a cup with Inverness ( which we should have won )

Purple & Green

Radge McRadge
Admin
That’s what Falkirk did. Scrap the academy and spend the money on best released prospects from elsewhere.

It’s been a catastrophic failure it’s fair to say?

Brentford B - including Kane O’Connor the Scotland age groups captain who Hibs agreed to release - travel and play varied opposition in different countries rather than domestic league set up. Hibs already started similar by playing the likes of English opposition.View attachment 2814

SuperTortolano

Bounce Radge
I think Kenny Miller would do a great job with a youth system. Knows what it takes to make it as a player and probably one of the very few players that got the absolute maximum from his career through sheer hard work and dedication.

Visit Frutin Travel Visit Robertsons Garage

Donate

Help The Bounce, Bounce

We are looking for users to donate to reach our shortfall of £100 per month to pay for the server, we realise that users may not be able to with this nasty virus, but if can, it would be very much appriecated ? We have had some cancellations on Direct Debits sadly. If you wish to set up a DD then please do so via the UPGRADES section. Stay Safe, The Bounce.
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£10.00
This donation drive ends in
Visit Frutin Travel Visit Robertsons Garage

The Bounce is 18 Years Old