• Hi there, if you are wanting to register, you will need a registration code. To obtain said code please email hibs@hibeesbounce.com with a brief description of why you want to become part of the bounce. Please also supply us with your IP address Click here if you do not know your IP Thank You. GGTTH

Youth Academy - a busted flush?

Power

Bounce Flag Co-Owner
Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Part of Bounce
Whilst I agree with that....the thing is though all of these things like social media, playstation etc exist in every country not just Scotland. Why is it then that similar sized countries and populations to ours produce more op class players than we do..despite having the same distractions like you listed ?
It looks like sport, outdoors and freedom is still number one abroad, certainly ahead of digital hardware.

Uncy

Radge Private Member
Private Member
Bounce Radge
2 things for me

1) We are not one of those clubs who tick on with 4/5k crowds, who have no other choice than to rely on their Youth to populate the team. Hibs fans want ready made players, now, to improve the team. And fair enough, we want to compete at the top end and people don't lash out on ST's to wait 3/4 years for a crop of kids to become hardened pro's.

2) Managers don't last long enough to oversee a golden generation come to fruition. As above, results now > " nice things "

Brizo

Bounce Radge
While scouts have to identify youngsters to bring to clubs and coaches have to then mould them once they arrive I think that a lot of times its just fate that a particularly talented group all emerge at the same club at the same time. I'm sure Man United have spent tens of millions trying to find a new class of 92 but its never happened. Our golden generation were just that, a one off group of exceptionally talented youths who all came through at the same time.

I also think that when a group like that comes through there is no top dog and none have any room for complacency as they are all competing to meet each others high standards. Id also guess coaches are extra motivated when they see a group of such talented youngsters coming through.

SuperTortolano

Radge Private Member
Private Member
Bounce Radge
I think teams like the golden generation all fed off each other. A group of lads that all hung around each other and desperately wanted to make it. They all worked for each other and gave it there all. Porto is probably the only one of our current young players that have got it.

Look at Porto and look at Shaw. Forget talent and focus on there body language. Porto has that swagger, fearlessness and desire. Shaw doesn't have it, Stanton didn't have it, Harris didn't have it. Talented lads, just don't have what it takes. Cummings had it in abundance too. Had a good career with us.

Braehead Cabbage

Baldy radge
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Monthly Radge
Part of Bounce
Even if we just bring him on for the derby at season end when nowt to play for with strict instructions to GBH any C unit in maroon including dugouts.

He’ll likely get the jail but with conditions prob a step up from his homeland and we can help with repatriation costs when he is deported on release.

He’s above Sauzee then in my book. Miles ahead in fact.

Think about it.
Deary fuckin me.

Ryan69

Bounce Radge
Part of Bounce
It looks like sport, outdoors and freedom is still number one abroad, certainly ahead of digital hardware.
We really need to start looking at how other countries do it.
I mean football training is generally after school here.
In Netherlands 0630 in the morning....Kids everywhere on pitches.

Being at school allday then going training must be more tiring you would think.

Power

Bounce Flag Co-Owner
Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Part of Bounce
We really need to start looking at how other countries do it.
I mean football training is generally after school here.
In Netherlands 0630 in the morning....Kids everywhere on pitches.

Being at school allday then going training must be more tiring you would think.
I can vouch for that as thats exactly what I’ll need to help commandeer at 6-7 tonight. Gets worse as school terms near finish.

Two Headed Boy

Radge Donator
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
We went through a lot of shit post- golden generation. We brought a few young uns through the ranks under Mixu and Yogi (Hanlon, Spoony and so on) but I'm not surprised we weren't able to nurture the likes of Booth, Welsh etc... in the environments that followed under Fenlon, Calderwood and Butcher.

Had we survived and kept Butcher I doubt Cummings would have developed the way he did in the Championship under Stubbs, the likes of Harris and Handling were already ruined by that point IMO.

Administrator
Administrator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Player Sponsor
Gray Boot Sponsor
Part of Bounce
We went through a lot of shit post- golden generation. We brought a few young uns through the ranks under Mixu and Yogi (Hanlon, Spoony and so on)
Lewis Stevenson too under JC.

emerald green

Bounce Flag Co-Owner
Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Lewis Flag Donator
Monthly Radge
Gray Boot Sponsor
The point of a youth academy for a team like Hibernian is to develop young players to the first team, become regular and sell them at a profit. If there is a large expenditure on youth academy and there is no through put to the first team squad then its an expenditure for no reason.... we would be aswell keeping the cash and spending it on cherry picking the cream of the crop of youngsters from clubs in this country, England and europe. Swathes of youngsters are released every season. So if we spend eg £2m a year on academy / coaches etc, and there is no return, we could offer some serious contracts to top kids from other clubs (obvs there is development fees etc). Its a balancing act., but an academy MUST deliver to a club like Hibernian and no be a gravy train for coaches.

I dont know what they script is re the academy's Key Performance Indicators and what merits it being a success.

Not advocating the academy is disbanded, but like very aspect of Hibernian, it should be scrutinised by the fans. We were here before the academy, and no doubt be here after.

Purple & Green

Radge McRadge
Administrator
Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Player Sponsor
The problem you have is that managers have targets, and who is a manager going to trust playing wise? a raw 18 year old, or a 28 year old journeyman with a track record.

One of the things that done PHB was his disdain for youth - he used it to make up the numbers in the league cup but he's punted Oli Shaw and Fraser Murray into touch. Maybe they aren't good enough, that a different issue.

Interestingly, some of the above mentioned got their breaks early in a managers career - Hanlon got his debut in Mixu's first game, Wotherspoon got his debut in Yogi's first game, Lewis got his run early in John Collins managership - this isn't coincidence - its probably the only time that both manager and player get a bit of leeway.

Donate

Help The Bounce, Bounce

We are looking for users to donate to reach our shortfall of £70 per month to pay for the server, can you spare a few quid at all?
Goal
£70.00
Earned
£50.00
This donation drive ends in

Celtc v Hibs

Donate

Help The Bounce, Bounce

We are looking for users to donate to reach our shortfall of £70 per month to pay for the server, can you spare a few quid at all?
Goal
£70.00
Earned
£50.00
This donation drive ends in