• Hi there, if you are wanting to register, you will need a registration code. To obtain said code please email hibs@hibeesbounce.com with a brief description of why you want to become part of the bounce. Please also supply us with your IP address Click here if you do not know your IP Thank You. GGTTH

Youth Academy - a busted flush?

Hattie

Donator
Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Player Sponsor
Monthly Radge
Gray Boot Sponsor
Part of Bounce
Man United. Giggs, Scholes, Becham, Butt and Neville Brothers.
Well that makes a whole 2 clubs 👀

stickyRicky

Muirhouse Radge
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Well that makes a whole 2 clubs 👀
That we know of yeah.

I'd imagine Ajax, Barcelona and other teams around the world would have had similar. Just not heard of it cos it's not in our doorstep.

Last edited:

Hattie

Donator
Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Player Sponsor
Monthly Radge
Gray Boot Sponsor
Part of Bounce
That we know of yeah.

I'd imagine Ajax, Barcelona and other teams around the world would have had similar. Just not heard of it cos it's not in our doorstep.
I would imagine so, esp Ajax... its far from common though, in Scottish football terms its kinda unheard of

Greenmachine

Radge Donator
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
We have an excellent Youth Academy at East Mains with some great people working in it. What has to be borne in mind is just how huge the step up from Development team football is to the first team. Watching the Development team playing last Tuesday against Celtic we looked to have some really good players playing at that level. The reality is however that we might see maybe one or at best two break through into the first team and crucially stay there similar to what Ryan Porteous has done. Oli Shaw was brilliant at Development team level and a prolific goalscorer, but hardly gets his game now in the first team. FWIW I think Oli has been a bit unlucky and I still have some faith that he can establish himself as a first team regular again, but he is a prime example of what I mean by just how hard it is to break through and become a regular fixture at first team level. Fraser Murray is another one.

The Golden Generation were unfortunately a once in a lifetime crop of great young players who became a great Hibs team which thankfully went on to win a trophy albeit without the wonderful front two of Riordan and O'Connor by that time. They also brought in a huge amount of money for Hibs when they eventually moved on to bigger clubs. It is highly unlikely that any scottish club, never mind Hibs, will ever produce such a great crop of young players at the same time again. We can but live in hope though, and I am confident and optimistic that we will see a couple from the current lot breaking through. That would be a great return for our investment.

MSG_07

Bounce Radge
We have an excellent Youth Academy at East Mains with some great people working in it. What has to be borne in mind is just how huge the step up from Development team football is to the first team. Watching the Development team playing last Tuesday against Celtic we looked to have some really good players playing at that level. The reality is however that we might see maybe one or at best two break through into the first team and crucially stay there similar to what Ryan Porteous has done. Oli Shaw was brilliant at Development team level and a prolific goalscorer, but hardly gets his game now in the first team. FWIW I think Oli has been a bit unlucky and I still have some faith that he can establish himself as a first team regular again, but he is a prime example of what I mean by just how hard it is to break through and become a regular fixture at first team level. Fraser Murray is another one.

The Golden Generation were unfortunately a once in a lifetime crop of great young players who became a great Hibs team which thankfully went on to win a trophy albeit without the wonderful front two of Riordan and O'Connor by that time. They also brought in a huge amount of money for Hibs when they eventually moved on to bigger clubs. It is highly unlikely that any scottish club, never mind Hibs, will ever produce such a great crop of young players at the same time again. We can but live in hope though, and I am confident and optimistic that we will see a couple from the current lot breaking through. That would be a great return for our investment.
Development league and first team is like night and day. I honestly can't see any of the current crop of youngsters who've already been involved with the first team squad staking a regular claim. Other than Porteous none of them look anywhere near the level of first team which is a real shame. The coaching staff should be identifying weaknesses early on and getting them on tailored plans to improve the skills they are lacking. I'm a firm believer If you put in the time as with most things in life you'll improve. Too many just don't have the hunger to succeed. One player per 5 years isn't a great return. Ideally we should be produced at least one per year for the first team squad surely.

Administrator
Administrator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Player Sponsor
Gray Boot Sponsor
Part of Bounce
I looked up Everton Sheffield United in wiki and can find out nothing about them.I reckon they don't exist and you have been on the same wacky baccy as I.
What are you slavering on about now?

Purple & Green

Radge McRadge
Administrator
Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Player Sponsor
A couple of things; might be worth checking how many of the say premiership have come through academies and where? My initial hunch is virtually all full time players are graduates of the academy system.

I think I read that Celtics academy has produced 160 players playing in Scottish seniors leagues today. I’d say that’s the bench mark?

Hibs1337

Bounce Radge
Monthly Radge
I think Youth Academies are an accepted risk in the knowledge that they might only produce a few players every few years who establish themselves in the first team and/or are sold on for profit/reinvestment.
HTC is not unique is this respect, it applies across the board, certainly out with the elite leagues.
What’s the alternative, don’t bother with Youth development?
it’s worth remembering that the aim of HTC is to develop and improve ALL players, including seasoned pros so on this basis it really is a must.
It’s a fair question WHY we don’t seem to produce as many home grown players as we maybe should. Personally I think it is down to culture, lack of money in the Scottish game in general and attitude/application.

Sheldrake07

Bounce Radge
Part of Bounce
I think we need to start enticing these youngsters that are being hoovered up from down south. Pay them a decent wage, with heavy incentives built in. Bonus’s and wage increases after 10 first team games etc. Give them an incentive to join us rather than kick around down south doing nothing.
Alec Ferguson said that big pay packets is one reason why a lot of youngsters don't make it. If at the age of 17 they're earning as much in a week as their Dads do in a couple of months then Fergie reckons they lose some of the hunger and get the 'billy big baws' attitude that stops them working hard and reduces ambition. I can see money being an attraction but perhaps the standard of the training and the credentials that training provides is more important. If a club has a reputation as producing good young footballers that attracts the attention of bigger clubs who are interested in that product they demonstrate that there is a good potential career path for youngsters.
Young people need good advice and I think their heads are turned by the big clubs and I don't think they will necessarily do themselves any favours. A smaller proportion of youngsters 'hoovered up' by the big clubs will actually make it into the big club's first team and are more likely to struggle to get recognised anywhere so perhaps will end up being lost to the game.
Hibs need to operate on a model based on the quality of the training and the output to demonstrate by results that the training, opportunity and career pathway to the top (not necessarily at Hibs) they offer are better than any other club (including big EPL clubs), with a higher proportion of the academy graduates going on to have successful professional careers than other clubs' academys. I think the facilities we now have mean we're part of the way there, but the next step must be producing the stream of talent who go on to make it.
That is what should attract the high potential youngsters. But, i suspect, the lure of the big name clubs and big money will continue to turn the heads of the youngsters (and their representatives).

Last edited:

Davy

get off yer bum an sing radge
Flag Owner
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Ladies Player Sponsor
I would suggest we had another golden generation who also won a cup in the likes of Miller Wriight Weir Hunter etc. Admittedly Brown is prob the pick of both generations all in terms of achievement and leadership.

Weehibbydrew

Mussel-bound Radge
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Player Sponsor
Part of Bounce
I would suggest we had another golden generation who also won a cup in the likes of Miller Wriight Weir Hunter etc. Admittedly Brown is prob the pick of both generations all in terms of achievement and leadership.
Keith Wright was signed from Dundee.

SuperTortolano

Radge Private Member
Private Member
Bounce Radge
It’s a sign of the times. We used to be out playing fitbaw night and day. Car parks, and any grass we could find that we’d no get chased from. All we wanted to do was play, it was an obsession. That’s in the past, the future generation are more interested in playing online, phones and social media.

Power

Bounce Flag Co-Owner
Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Part of Bounce
It’s a sign of the times. We used to be out playing fitbaw night and day. Car parks, and any grass we could find that we’d no get chased from. All we wanted to do was play, it was an obsession. That’s in the past, the future generation are more interested in playing online, phones and social media.
Agree with this.
Battles to claim pitches and even bigger ones when decent facilities came in.
Now me and my laddie walk onto some of the best astro or grass surfaces in the area (Pinkie) to practice 1 on 1. Not a soul in sight.

Green juventine

Radge Private Member
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Part of Bounce
Agree with this.
Now me and my laddie walk onto some of the best astro or grass surfaces in the area (Pinkie) to practice 1 on 1. Not a soul in sight.

Attachments

SuperTortolano

Radge Private Member
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Agree with this.
So true. Even when we got older and one of us passed our test, it was straight to the pitz in Porty preying a pitch is open.

Power

Bounce Flag Co-Owner
Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Part of Bounce
So true. Even when we got older and one of us passed our test, it was straight to the pitz in Porty preying a pitch is open.
Gie ye’s a take oan fir the pitch. 5v6.

Greenmachine

Radge Donator
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Whilst I agree with that....the thing is though all of these things like social media, playstation etc exist in every country not just Scotland. Why is it then that similar sized countries with similar populations to ours produce more top class players than we do..despite having the same distractions like you listed ?

Last edited:

Donate

Help The Bounce, Bounce

We are looking for users to donate to reach our shortfall of £70 per month to pay for the server, can you spare a few quid at all?
Goal
£70.00
Earned
£50.00
This donation drive ends in

Celtc v Hibs

Donate

Help The Bounce, Bounce

We are looking for users to donate to reach our shortfall of £70 per month to pay for the server, can you spare a few quid at all?
Goal
£70.00
Earned
£50.00
This donation drive ends in