• Hi there, if you are wanting to register, you will need a registration code. To obtain said code please email hibs@hibeesbounce.com with a brief description of why you want to become part of the bounce. Please also supply us with your IP address Click here if you do not know your IP Thank You. GGTTH

Youth Academy - a busted flush?

Green Sleeves

Radge Donator
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
In the previous decade Hibs produced a glut of top drawer million pound plus players.

They brought in millions to the club in transfer fees.

Brown £4.4m
Thomson £2m
O'Connor £1.6m
Whittaker £2m
Fletcher £3m

£13million for those 5 guys alone in just 3 years, 2006-2009.

But in the last 10 years? For sure, Porteous is class. He'll probably go for a 7 figure sum. Not as much as we'd like, but a sell-on fee may be the longer term golden goose.

But since the golden generation what has the Youth Academy earned the club in hard cash in transfer fees. Or first team stalwarts?

How can a club survive like this? Sell on fees for top notch youth players are where the big money is now.

Why are we no longer producing top quality young players?

Is our Youth Academy not fit for purpose?

Jack

Gray Boot Sponsor
Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Player Sponsor
Monthly Radge
Ladies Player Sponsor
Gray Boot Sponsor
Part of Bounce
These guys weren't known as the Golden Generation for nothing. The stars rarely align in such a way for any club never mind our own.

Football academies have changed since then. Sometimes I think by the time the mega academies down south have hoovered up all the young talent then the new firm do their bit I'm surprised there's any kids left on the streets!

Transfer values have plunged for the likes of us too. Look at the way we're pinning the real value of Super John on to add ons to the initial transfer. The same happened with Sol Bamba and others.

I don't think it's just about bringing our own youth through these days. It's about developing players, like SJM, and getting the best out the squad. I think it's (the HTC as a whole) washing it's face.

HibeeZab

Rock n' Roll Radge
Administrator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Gray Boot Sponsor
In the previous decade Hibs produced a glut of top drawer million pound plus players.

They brought in millions to the club in transfer fees.

Brown £4.4m
Thomson £2m
O'Connor £1.6m
Whittaker £2m
Fletcher £3m

£13million for those 5 guys alone in just 3 years, 2006-2009.

But in the last 10 years? For sure, Porteous is class. He'll probably go for a 7 figure sum. Not as much as we'd like, but a sell-on fee may be the longer term golden goose.

But since the golden generation what has the Youth Academy earned the club in hard cash in transfer fees. Or first team stalwarts?

How can a club survive like this? Sell on fees for top notch youth players are where the big money is now.

Why are we no longer producing top quality young players?

Is our Youth Academy not fit for purpose?
I think the necessary changes have already been made, but the results will take time to see. Portoeus is probably the first to come through since Eddie May took over. The club is very much focussed on youth development.

Have to bear in mind that the Fenlon/Butcher era was a massive set back to youth development, as was relegation.

Wheat Hound

Radgie, Gadgie, Onion Badgie Radge
Radge Donator
Bounce Radge
You are right in terms of transfer money generated, but Hanlon and Stevenson have provided excellent service for over 10yrs each and provided a huge value to the club.

Wotherspoon was a success of sorts and played a decent amount of 1st team games for us then won the cup with St J.

We could and should have produced more than that and hopefully in the next 5yrs or so we'll see more come through.

MSG_07

Bounce Radge
Porteous is still a raw talent but a very good player. My concern is since the players listed above, there has only been one capable of making a regular appearance at first team level in the past 5 years. Eddie May will tell you he has been very successful, but has he really though? Debatable I'd say.

SuperTortolano

Radge Private Member
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Here’s my opinion. The golden generation were probably the last generation to be cleaning players boots and subject to getting booted from players like Yogi. Some think that was a form of bullying, I disagree. I listen to a lot of ex pros on the podcasts and they all said that cleaning the boots and banter made them stronger players mentally.

Our youth players are all a bunch of nice boys that have been pampered and not been subject to all that. Very few of them make the grade and probably aren’t mentally strong enough. They don’t know how to deal with the abuse and pressure from the stands and start playing within themselves.

HibeeZab

Rock n' Roll Radge
Administrator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Gray Boot Sponsor
Here’s my opinion. The golden generation were probably the last generation to be cleaning players boots and subject to getting booted from players like Yogi. Some think that was a form of bullying, I disagree. I listen to a lot of ex pros on the podcasts and they all said that cleaning the boots and banter made them stronger players mentally.

Our youth players are all a bunch of nice boys that have been pampered and not been subject to all that. Very few of them make the grade and probably aren’t mentally strong enough. They don’t know how to deal with the abuse and pressure from the stands and start playing within themselves.
To counter your point, all youth players in the UK are treated in the same “pampered” way now, probably more so in England - so why are they currently producing some excellent top class international players?

SuperTortolano

Radge Private Member
Private Member
Bounce Radge
To counter your point, all youth players in the UK are treated in the same “pampered” way now, probably more so in England - so why are they currently producing some excellent top class international players?
That’s a good question. I think the atmosphere down there is a lot less volatile that in Scotland. We have sections of our own support screaming abuse at the likes of Shaw etc, never mind the opposition fans. Maybe another reason these English lads are wilting.

Purple & Green

Radge McRadge
Administrator
Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Player Sponsor
So there's a scout, he identifies a player. Theres a head scout who oversees the scouting. There's youth coaches that develop players as they go through the age groups. There's reserve coaches, there's conditioning coaches, there's psychologists.

And then when they get to the first team, there's coaches, and managers/head coaches. Bobby Williamson broke them in (and lets not forget he only did because RP cut the funding for the first team budget), Tony Mowbray developed them further.

So who was responsible for the golden generation? I see that as a complex equation, and to an extent it's a case of the stars aligning. What if the academy is doing everything right and the stars aren't aligning? Do we rip it up and start again. I think @Jack has a good point too - the best Edinburgh youngsters are getting hoovered up into the EPL academies where I would suggest the chances of ever seeing first team action are negligible.

Administrator
Administrator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Player Sponsor
Gray Boot Sponsor
Part of Bounce
That’s a good question. I think the atmosphere down there is a lot less volatile that in Scotland. We have sections of our own support screaming abuse at the likes of Shaw etc, never mind the opposition fans. Maybe another reason these English lads are wilting.
I was at Everton Sheffield United the other week, they shout he same vitriol at their milti millionaires as some Hibs fans shout at the £2k a week players.

SuperTortolano

Radge Private Member
Private Member
Bounce Radge
So there's a scout, he identifies a player. Theres a head scout who oversees the scouting. There's youth coaches that develop players as they go through the age groups. There's reserve coaches, there's conditioning coaches, there's psychologists.

And then when they get to the first team, there's coaches, and managers/head coaches. Bobby Williamson broke them in (and lets not forget he only did because RP cut the funding for the first team budget), Tony Mowbray developed them further.

So who was responsible for the golden generation? I see that as a complex equation, and to an extent it's a case of the stars aligning. What if the academy is doing everything right and the stars aren't aligning? Do we rip it up and start again. I think @Jack has a good point too - the best Edinburgh youngsters are getting hoovered up into the EPL academies where I would suggest the chances of ever seeing first team action are negligible.
I think we need to start enticing these youngsters that are being hoovered up from down south. Pay them a decent wage, with heavy incentives built in. Bonus’s and wage increases after 10 first team games etc. Give them an incentive to join us rather than kick around down south doing nothing.

SuperTortolano

Radge Private Member
Private Member
Bounce Radge
I was at Everton Sheffield United the other week, they shout he same vitriol at their milti millionaires as some Hibs fans shout at the £2k a week players.
Fair enough mate, can’t argue with that. Haven’t been to an English game for over a decade.

HibeeZab

Rock n' Roll Radge
Administrator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Gray Boot Sponsor
Good point, in relation to the English none of them have played at a club where there is this level of expectation, and they are clearly struggling.

Sir Shrink

Quite a bit past it radge
Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Player Sponsor
Lewis Flag Donator
Monthly Radge
Part of Bounce
The latest kids coming through the Hibs Academy are monsters. Some of them are going to end up making Porteous look like a midget.
Honing their skills to match their physique could mean a lot of real athletes coming through.

stickyRicky

Muirhouse Radge
Private Member
Bounce Radge
The latest kids coming through the Hibs Academy are monsters. Some of them are going to end up making Porteous look like a midget.
Honing their skills to match their physique could mean a lot of real athletes coming through.
Glad to hear that. Hibs are notorious for bringing through midgets or skinny malinkys.

MSG_07

Bounce Radge
Looking forward to seeing Sadiki. Hopefully he has what it takes for the step up.

moathibby

Radge Private Member
Private Member
Bounce Radge
I looked up Everton Sheffield United in wiki and can find out nothing about them.I reckon they don't exist and you have been on the same wacky baccy as I.

EA2007

Last Of The Summer Wine Radge
Radge Donator
Bounce Radge
Looking forward to seeing Sadiki. Hopefully he has what it takes for the step up.
Even if we just bring him on for the derby at season end when nowt to play for with strict instructions to GBH any C unit in maroon including dugouts.

He’ll likely get the jail but with conditions prob a step up from his homeland and we can help with repatriation costs when he is deported on release.

He’s above Sauzee then in my book. Miles ahead in fact.

Think about it.

Forzahibs

I'm a Radge Donator
Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Monthly Radge
At least we had a golden generation , who else did ??

Donate

Help The Bounce, Bounce

We are looking for users to donate to reach our shortfall of £70 per month to pay for the server, can you spare a few quid at all?
Goal
£70.00
Earned
£50.00
This donation drive ends in

Celtc v Hibs

Donate

Help The Bounce, Bounce

We are looking for users to donate to reach our shortfall of £70 per month to pay for the server, can you spare a few quid at all?
Goal
£70.00
Earned
£50.00
This donation drive ends in