• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

Woefully Short Up Front

Electric Beach Joe

Just A Radge
Reaction score
With Flo suffering a hamstring injury and McLaren injuring his back in training what are we left with? A fragile Shaw who was brutal last night and is clearly lacking in confidence, Boyle who is a winger and Allan who will be lucky if he is still at the club in January. The decision to not buy another experienced striker is going to come back and bite us on the arse i fear. Somebody is going to have to bang on Leannes door and explain to her that we really do need another centre forward asap

Too late now, should have been addressed during the window. What's left now are the dregs that will take weeks to get up to full fitness. I think Shaw looks stronger this year, his finishing was absolutely pish poor last night. Him and Flo just don't play well together.

Any idea how bad Flo injury is?

Quick scan of the free agency list. Gabby Agbonlahor would be a decent shout. Only 31 and would still probably tear up the SPL.

I don't think it's that bad.
I don't think Shaw was anywhere near brutal either?
Should've or could've scored last night. But same can be said for the whole team practically with the chances we created.

I think he coped well against the physicality from their defence.

Flo's injury confirmed as a bad one like? I've missed that too. Could be nothing.
Always so quick to declare a crisis

Just one of those nights. But we only have 3 strikers, we had 4 with Murray last year, so definitely need one more come Jan.

I don't think it's that bad.
I don't think Shaw was anywhere near brutal either?
Should've or could've scored last night. But same can be said for the whole team practically with the chances we created.

I think he coped well against the physicality from their defence.

Flo's injury confirmed as a bad one like? I've missed that too. Could be nothing.
Always so quick to declare a crisis
Shaw didn't play well and let's not forget Murray was binned for far less I feel. Yeah the difference is he's a developing player I get that. He had some excellent chances last night and his job specifically is to put the ball in the net. He'll do a job for someone but don't think it will be Hibs.

I think some of the criticism of young Shaw is ridiculously premature. He's a young laddie. He's raw but has terrific potential. IMHO the transfer window left us one striker short.

Shaw didn't play well and let's not forget Murray was binned for far less I feel. Yeah the difference is he's a developing player I get that. He had some excellent chances last night and his job specifically is to put the ball in the net. He'll do a job for someone but don't think it will be Hibs.

What was wrong with his game last night? Every time he turned someone he was fouled.
All he did was not score.. Either did Agyepong, Hanlon, Hyndman, Mallan, Flo, Porteous, or Boyle. (granted Boyle finished twice)

McLaren hasn't played well except for the weekend alongside Flo.

Shaw is far from a finished article. But he's holding players off, he's turning players and creating shooting opportunities for himself and others.
Crazy.

I think some of the criticism of young Shaw is ridiculously premature. He's a young laddie. He's raw but has terrific potential. IMHO the transfer window left us one striker short.

Completely agree with this. I think he'll be a cracking striker for us, but it's a bit too soon for him to be leading the line all the time right now. Someone mentioned Gabby Agbonlahor.... can't hurt to ask him. Surely he'd bring Ollie on big time.

W
Just one of those nights. But we only have 3 strikers, we had 4 with Murray last year, so definitely need one more come Jan.
When a team has only two experienced strikers on their books you are only one injury away from a big priblem. Your two injuries away from a crisis. Shaw like Porteous is a developing laddie with heaps of potential but he is nowhere near ready to lead the line. His finishing last night was that off a raw young kid and that's exactly what he is. If Flo or Jamie gets injured we should have somebody else of similar standard and experience ready to step in. We don't and that is worrrying

Last edited:
Completely agree with this. I think he'll be a cracking striker for us, but it's a bit too soon for him to be leading the line all the time right now. Someone mentioned Gabby Agbonlahor.... can't hurt to ask him. Surely he'd bring Ollie on big time.

No ta.
The guy had a career ten years ago - but he's scored next to no goals in the last few years and seems to be another 'role model' like Stokes.
I don't think he would be much help to Ollie unless he needs a hand with a shisha pipe or nitrous oxide balloons.

I'd rather have kept Simon Murray.

I'd rather have young Lewis Allan on the bench than some random free agent. As for Shaw, he's obviously still learning the trade, developing physically, but if he doesn't play, he won't develop. I think he'll do just fine for the team this season. 5 games, 2 goals...not the worst stats...

What was wrong with his game last night? Every time he turned someone he was fouled.
All he did was not score.. Either did Agyepong, Hanlon, Hyndman, Mallan, Flo, Porteous, or Boyle. (granted Boyle finished twice)

McLaren hasn't played well except for the weekend alongside Flo.

Shaw is far from a finished article. But he's holding players off, he's turning players and creating shooting opportunities for himself and others.
Crazy.
Thought Shaw was more mobile last night than he usually is. Couple of better decisions from him and we widnae have had pens. No sayin it was his fault, there were others guilty of the same, but that will come with experience.

First of all I agree we need another striker but I have been banging on about that ad nauseum since the summer so that's my final word on it. I also disagree that Oli Shaw had a bad game last night...he didn't. His finishing and decision making were poor but that could be said for 4 or 5 of his more experienced team mates as well. He looks a much improved player and remember he is still only 20 years old and has already shown he can score goals at this level. IMO he will be a fine striker for Hibs. I think it's also worth pointing out that despite his misses last night he still had the bottle to step up and put away his penalty.

I'd rather have young Lewis Allan on the bench than some random free agent. As for Shaw, he's obviously still learning the trade, developing physically, but if he doesn't play, he won't develop. I think he'll do just fine for the team this season. 5 games, 2 goals...not the worst stats...

I would be fine with Lewis Allan being used as a back-up...however he hasn't even made the bench since he played in the Livingston defeat.

Stretched rather than short - as I think most teams would be.

Think that's a better way of putting it.
31 goals in 14 competitive games this season so far. No bad.

With Flo suffering a hamstring injury and McLaren injuring his back in training what are we left with? A fragile Shaw who was brutal last night and is clearly lacking in confidence, Boyle who is a winger and Allan who will be lucky if he is still at the club in January. The decision to not buy another experienced striker is going to come back and bite us on the arse i fear. Somebody is going to have to bang on Leannes door and explain to her that we really do need another centre forward asap

I don't think it is a decision as such. We have a budget and we need to shape the squad accordingly. Lennon felt that, as well as bringing Kameri and McLaren in, he had to invest significantly in the midfield. As shit would have it we are suffering with injuries up top - that's just life.

You're far too sensible

Well said smurf ...shaw is just learning his trade. He,s only young think he will come good given time..
He scored a barrel load of goals for the development squad, wish folks would get off his back.like to see them haveing a shite day at work,getting moaned at and binned for being shite at there job...shaw,s got the potential to go far in the game,let’s all give him some support and see what happens...
But we are still a striker short ..GGTTH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When a team has the grand total of 2 experienced strikers on their books and both these strikers get injured at the same time describing the situation as " stretched could be a a bit of an understatement.

When a team has the grand total of 2 experienced strikers on their books and both these strikers get injured at the same time describing the situation as " stretched could be a a bit of an understatement.

Can anyone confirm Kamberi's injury?

Think that's a better way of putting it.
31 goals in 14 competitive games this season so far. No bad.

I've said this before, but I think this was Lennon's appraoch to replacing the holy trinity midfield in the summer. The one thing that midfield lacked was goals, bringing in Horgan and Mallan has looked to change this, and based on goals scored so far appears to be working. I would suggest we will see the goals shared around more this year, and potentially score more than we did last year, but with less coming direct from strikers.

So far this year, off the top of my head we've had goals from:

- Sir Dave
- Tam
- Boyle
- Horgan
- Mallan
- Shaw
- Flo
- MacLaren

A decent sharing around of the goals and you'd imagine the likes of Porteous, Efe, Hyndman and Slivka will also all chip in a few this year.

On Shaw, it's worth noting that Tony Watt, who was being touted for a call up to the Scottish team (incorrectly IMO), has scored the same amount of league goals as Shaw but is averaging a goal every 255 minutes whilst Shaw is averaging one every 143 minutes. Shaw also has a league assist to his name.

It could but as forward options - because we don’t always play a straight 2 up top - we have kamberi, maclaren, shaw, Allan, Horgan, Boyle, Agyepong

I don’t think the way the squad has been put together is unreasonable and we’re now trying to juggle quality over quantity.

Mmm, lots of sensible commentary.

My own insensible view is that this could be a problem we've had for a long time; namely, a problem with finding the net as often as our dominance would suggest. An inability to score goals was Butcher's calamity, Stubbs didn't really fix it (hence his failure to navigate playoff preliminaries), and now Neil Lennon has a team that can run games but not hit the net anywhere near the number of times it should be.

We've changed manager, we've changed attitude, we've changed squad... But the issue seems to persist.

It could be that we tend to focus on the issue when things don't go quite right, and we worry about what's going on, so perhaps a more rounded view is appropriate. None of us complained when Kamberi and McClaren were both fit near the end of last year, because we were scoring plenty of goals and it was our ability to keep them out that was a bigger pain. In our first season back, it looks like my earlier musing was quite wrong; only the ugly sisters scored more than we did in the league, and there's a solid gap between us and the next team. Similarly this year, we're in a spot where only 'Rangers' have scored more than us in the league (which will likely change as Celtic develop) and we're currently at an average of two per match.

The league average is 1.2 per game. We're well ahead. Last year, it was 1.6 goals per game. Okay, the season is early, but this is an improvement.

As such, despite the frustration of failing to win on Tuesday night despite fucking dominating, the evidence suggests that we're not 'woefully short up front'.

And if we expect some injury rehabilitation to increase the number of times we hit the onion bag, then I think we're going to be okay.

Mmm, lots of sensible commentary.

My own insensible view is that this could be a problem we've had for a long time; namely, a problem with finding the net as often as our dominance would suggest. An inability to score goals was Butcher's calamity, Stubbs didn't really fix it (hence his failure to navigate playoff preliminaries), and now Neil Lennon has a team that can run games but not hit the net anywhere near the number of times it should be.

We've changed manager, we've changed attitude, we've changed squad... But the issue seems to persist.

It could be that we tend to focus on the issue when things don't go quite right, and we worry about what's going on, so perhaps a more rounded view is appropriate. None of us complained when Kamberi and McClaren were both fit near the end of last year, because we were scoring plenty of goals and it was our ability to keep them out that was a bigger pain. In our first season back, it looks like my earlier musing was quite wrong; only the ugly sisters scored more than we did in the league, and there's a solid gap between us and the next team. Similarly this year, we're in a spot where only 'Rangers' have scored more than us in the league (which will likely change as Celtic develop) and we're currently at an average of two per match.

The league average is 1.2 per game. We're well ahead. Last year, it was 1.6 goals per game. Okay, the season is early, but this is an improvement.

As such, despite the frustration of failing to win on Tuesday night despite fucking dominating, the evidence suggests that we're not 'woefully short up front'.

And if we expect some injury rehabilitation to increase the number of times we hit the onion bag, then I think we're going to be okay.

Very good post.

We’re creating chances, lots of good chances, no matter the opposite - that to me is a good indication of where we are as a squad. Clearly our style of play suits us in terms of chance creation but our finishing/decision making in the box still leaves a lot to be desired, perhaps we need to bring an ex striker in to training to work with the players on this? Not just the forwards, but everyone.

On Tuesday Lenny decided to go with two up front. He was forced to play a raw young striker alongside Flo because of Jamie's injury. In an ideal world we would have had another striker of the same standard and expercience as Flo and McLaren to step right in. Because we don't have one at our disposal we put in a inexperienced kid and got a inexperienced kids performance. Some fans can dress this up anyway they want and comfort themselves with stats but at the end of the day if any team is serious about making an impact this season and not just treading water then we need someone else with the experience, ruthlessness and savvy to finish moves off and win games. At the the moment that player is not Shaw and it's certainly not Lewis Allan

On Tuesday Lenny decided to go with two up front. He was forced to play a raw young striker alongside Flo because of Jamie's injury. In an ideal world we would have had another striker of the same standard and expercience as Flo and McLaren to step right in. Because we don't have one at our disposal we put in a inexperienced kid and got a inexperienced kids performance. Some fans can dress this up anyway they want and comfort themselves with stats but at the end of the day if any team is serious about making an impact this season and not just treading water then we need someone else with the experience, ruthlessness and savvy to finish moves off and win games. At the the moment that player is not Shaw and it's certainly not Lewis Allan

So you think we should be paying the wages for 3 starting strikers and stop developing our own? Wasting at least one full time wage per game at one or maybe 2 would sit out at any given time.

Also... Shaw's performance was no worse than anyone else on the park, so how is he being slaughtered for being inexperienced when players far more experienced than him had the same issues against Aberdeen?

Also remembering we won 3 0 away from home last weekend. One game is hardly a goal drought.

Also remembering we won 3 0 away from home last weekend. One game is hardly a goal drought.

Scored 6 in the last 3 league games too.

We were unlucky, just wasn’t going to be our night. On another day we win that 4/5-0 but Tuesday night we got to the final 3rd and our decision making just went.

We will move on starting with hopefully hammering st Mirren at the weekend

We just had one of those nights where we missed everything. It's a massive pisser, given I think we could've won this cup, but on reflection I don't think it means we are desperately short. A couple of feet either way, and we win 4-0. It happens - I was reminded of the Huns game last December (which still pisses me off)

I don’t think we’ve got the budget to do that. But, we might have the budget to do it for the last four months of the season...

Oli Shaw wasn’t the worst culprit in front of goal, in fact the error I recall was shooting when he should have passed - but a striker of any age is liable to do that.

Boyle, Kamberi & Porteous all passed up better chances while Hyndman was guilty of taking the wrong option in the box on more than one occassion.

Would an experienced, international striker like say Matulevicius have done any better? Or the erratic Simon Murray? I doubt it.

Oli Shaw is the third choice striker at the club, for a developing player with promise that’s the right place to be.

Oli Shaw wasn’t the worst culprit in front of goal, in fact the error I recall was shooting when he should have passed - but a striker of any age is liable to do that.

Boyle, Kamberi & Porteous all passed up better chances while Hyndman was guilty of taking the wrong option in the box on more than one occassion.

Would an experienced, international striker like say Matulevicius have done any better? Or the erratic Simon Murray? I doubt it.

Oli Shaw is the third choice striker at the club, for a developing player with promise that’s the right place to be.

Any striker, of any standard, will make poor choices.

It just so happens that poor choices were made by all our players who had a pop on goal on 20 odd occasions on Tuesday! Even the number of shots on target was poor.

It's a scenario that's unlikely to happen again ... until the next time!

But I suspect shooting practice will be top of the training menu until we get it right. Right? Feckin better be!

Reactions: Zab
So you think we should be paying the wages for 3 starting strikers and stop developing our own? Wasting at least one full time wage
That depends on your level of ambition. Do you think Celtic,Rangers and Hearts are trying to get through the season with only two experienced strikers on their books? It's called strength in depth and it's the difference between genuinely challenging for honours and being one of the also rans

That depends on your level of ambition. Do you think Celtic,Rangers and Hearts are trying to get through the season with only two experienced strikers on their books? It's called strength in depth and it's the difference between genuinely challenging for honours and being one of the also rans

Celtic & Rangers have far superior budgets so as such can’t truely be held up for comparison.

Hearts have:
Naismith - paying well over the odds on wages, but admittedly a decent player
MacLean - 35 year from St. Johnsone
Wighton - didn’t get his game at Dundee
Ikpeazu - the gamble, seems a huddle but is loved for his over physical style

Aberdeen have:
May - utter shite
Wilson - scored a goal for Man Utd once?
Cosgrove - youngster with 14 appearances and 0 goals
Anderson - youngster with 5 appearances and 1 goal

Is that better than what we have? Naismith is a good player, but I wouldn’t go near the rest. Kamberi and Maclaren are as a strong a front two as anyone in the league, we’ve clearly invested heavily in those two with Shaw & Allan providing the back up - would rather go quality over quality every time, even if occasionally means one or both are injured and our youngsters have to step up.

Celtic & Rangers have far superior budgets so as such can’t truely be held up for comparison.

Hearts have:
Naismith - paying well over the odds on wages, but admittedly a decent player
MacLean - 35 year from St. Johnsone
Wighton - didn’t get his game at Dundee
Ikpeazu - the gamble, seems a huddle but is loved for his over physical style

Aberdeen have:
May - utter shite
Wilson - scored a goal for Man Utd once?
Cosgrove - youngster with 14 appearances and 0 goals
Anderson - youngster with 5 appearances and 1 goal

Is that better than what we have? Naismith is a good player, but I wouldn’t go near the rest. Kamberi and Maclaren are as a strong a front two as anyone in the league, we’ve clearly invested heavily in those two with Shaw & Allan providing the back up - would rather go quality over quality every time, even if occasionally means one or both are injured and our youngsters have to step up.

To add to that, Celtc have two strikers, Sparky and Edouard, their fans are going barmy about it.

According to EEN player status report , there is no mention of Flo not being available . Was he injured or taken off as a precaution . Strange considering he is our penalty taker :puzzledsmiley:

According to EEN player status report , there is no mention of Flo not being available . Was he injured or taken off as a precaution . Strange considering he is our penalty taker :puzzledsmiley:

Bit of a thigh strain or similar I think Joe - he got an ice pack slapped on as soon as he went off.

More likely to be precautionary rather than major, but time will tell.

This thread has been viewed 5255 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£47.50
Back