• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

Wireless Hard Drive

Purple & Green

Radge McRadge
Admin
Private Member
Reaction score
Where do I begin?

I want to set up a wireless hard drive on my wifi network so that everyone in the house - 5 of us - are able to send files back and forward.

Is there an out the box solution? One that plugs into the wall all by itself and can be left running once it is configured.

Any suggestions?

Afraid I can't answer your question directly, but if it helps I think the name for what you're looking for is a wireless NAS (network attached storage).

I looked into them before but they seemed a bit expensive for what I need, plus they tended to not include the hard drives themselves so that's an extra cost.

Couple of other options, I have a raspberry pi (tiny little computer, costs about £30) to which I've connected a hard drive (about £50) which I use as a music server. It's not exactly plug and play though but with a bit of fiddling you can use it as shared storage.

Easiest option is probably cloud storage. I have my broadband with BT and the price I pay includes more storage than I'd ever need. You get free storage with lots of other accounts too (eg Samsung phones / Microsoft 365).

Also if you're just sending files to each other the Send Anywhere android app is really good. Not sure if there's a PC equivalent.

Loads on Amazon that sound like that kind of thing

Boy in work recommended this but it id cheaper on ebay/amazon. My previous one (not this model) started getting a noisy fan after 3 months or so if you do get one install VLC, it plays everything.

Where do I begin?

I want to set up a wireless hard drive on my wifi network so that everyone in the house - 5 of us - are able to send files back and forward.

Is there an out the box solution? One that plugs into the wall all by itself and can be left running once it is configured.

Any suggestions?

I have used old tech in the house for this sort of thing i.e. laptop's, PC's and raspberry Pi's, leave them running in a spare room or cupboard. I always install FreeNAS as the operating system on whatever device i am using to hold the file share.

Jesus.
I’m chucking my carbon paper copies.
This is why I’m retiring. Not just this, but many similar reasons.

I have used old tech in the house for this sort of thing i.e. laptop's, PC's and raspberry Pi's, leave them running in a spare room or cupboard. I always install FreeNAS as the operating system on whatever device i am using to hold the file share.
Interesting, how do you access the FreeNAS share from mobile devices? I use VLC at the moment to access share on rPi but does FreeNAS offer slicker integration?

Jesus.
I’m chucking my carbon paper copies.
This is why I’m retiring. Not just this, but many similar reasons.
I'm with you Sir, the old pen nib and ink well at school were a lot simpler

Me three, most of this thread could be written in Welsh for all I understand?

So it's .... fake news! BURN THE WITCH BURN THE WITCH :mad::26::star-wars-smiley-023::sm019::sm003::lam:

Interesting, how do you access the FreeNAS share from mobile devices? I use VLC at the moment to access share on rPi but does FreeNAS offer slicker integration?

My old Android TV box accesses the movies share using VLC or Kodi, you can also browse with ES file explorer. I am currently sharing between Windows, Linux and BSD devices no problems. Its got a nice web front end and you can also use it to setup and host virtual machines.

If you want to run it on a pi use a pi4 with at least 4GB of RAM.

Last edited:
My old Android TV box accesses the movies share using VLC or Kodi, you can also browse with ES file explorer. I am currently sharing between Windows, Linux and BSD devices no problems. Its got a nice web front end and you can also use it to setup and host virtual machines.

@1875 @paigntonhibby I reckon this boy's just ripping the pish now.

:52:

Translation for @Sir Shrink "The black magic box under my TV play's the talkies using it, it also has a fantastic set of chebs you can squeeze to control the brain" :sm127:

Thanks, I got the chebs reference, but I'm still a bit lost.

I got lost at black box.....

I got lost at black box.....
Ha ha! I got lost in one of them too up in the triangle!

You had pen and ink !!!!???!!!
We had chalk and slate !!!

Thanks, I used to use ES File Explorer but Google removed it from Play store, apparently due to some kind of click fraud allegations. There seem to be a bunch of new apps on there now with similar names but I'm a bit dubious about trying them.

Thanks, I used to use ES File Explorer but Google removed it from Play store, apparently due to some kind of click fraud allegations. There seem to be a bunch of new apps on there now with similar names but I'm a bit dubious about trying them.

My Android TV box is about 10 years old so has all sorts of dodgy stuff on it!

There is an app on play just now called Network Browser, i installed it on my phone and my shared drives showed up no bother.

Thanks, I got the chebs reference, but I'm still a bit lost.
Lost in chebs. Ah those days

This thread has been viewed 2317 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£100.75
Back