Save Lives, Stay Safe.

Hibs Kids In Hospital - Thank You NHS Shirt Donation

Qries

Wireless Hard Drive

Purple & Green

Radge McRadge
Admin
Where do I begin?

I want to set up a wireless hard drive on my wifi network so that everyone in the house - 5 of us - are able to send files back and forward.

Is there an out the box solution? One that plugs into the wall all by itself and can be left running once it is configured.

Any suggestions?

Rocky

Bounce Radge
Afraid I can't answer your question directly, but if it helps I think the name for what you're looking for is a wireless NAS (network attached storage).

I looked into them before but they seemed a bit expensive for what I need, plus they tended to not include the hard drives themselves so that's an extra cost.

Couple of other options, I have a raspberry pi (tiny little computer, costs about £30) to which I've connected a hard drive (about £50) which I use as a music server. It's not exactly plug and play though but with a bit of fiddling you can use it as shared storage.

Easiest option is probably cloud storage. I have my broadband with BT and the price I pay includes more storage than I'd ever need. You get free storage with lots of other accounts too (eg Samsung phones / Microsoft 365).

Also if you're just sending files to each other the Send Anywhere android app is really good. Not sure if there's a PC equivalent.

greensalamander

Bounce Radge
Boy in work recommended this but it id cheaper on ebay/amazon. My previous one (not this model) started getting a noisy fan after 3 months or so if you do get one install VLC, it plays everything.

davhfc

Bounce Radge
Where do I begin?

I want to set up a wireless hard drive on my wifi network so that everyone in the house - 5 of us - are able to send files back and forward.

Is there an out the box solution? One that plugs into the wall all by itself and can be left running once it is configured.

Any suggestions?
I have used old tech in the house for this sort of thing i.e. laptop's, PC's and raspberry Pi's, leave them running in a spare room or cupboard. I always install FreeNAS as the operating system on whatever device i am using to hold the file share.

Rocky

Bounce Radge
I have used old tech in the house for this sort of thing i.e. laptop's, PC's and raspberry Pi's, leave them running in a spare room or cupboard. I always install FreeNAS as the operating system on whatever device i am using to hold the file share.
Interesting, how do you access the FreeNAS share from mobile devices? I use VLC at the moment to access share on rPi but does FreeNAS offer slicker integration?

davhfc

Bounce Radge
Interesting, how do you access the FreeNAS share from mobile devices? I use VLC at the moment to access share on rPi but does FreeNAS offer slicker integration?
My old Android TV box accesses the movies share using VLC or Kodi, you can also browse with ES file explorer. I am currently sharing between Windows, Linux and BSD devices no problems. Its got a nice web front end and you can also use it to setup and host virtual machines.

If you want to run it on a pi use a pi4 with at least 4GB of RAM.

Last edited:

Sir Shrink

Quite a bit past it radge
Bounce Radge
My old Android TV box accesses the movies share using VLC or Kodi, you can also browse with ES file explorer. I am currently sharing between Windows, Linux and BSD devices no problems. Its got a nice web front end and you can also use it to setup and host virtual machines.

@1875 @paigntonhibby I reckon this boy's just ripping the pish now.

:52:

Rocky

Bounce Radge

Thanks, I used to use ES File Explorer but Google removed it from Play store, apparently due to some kind of click fraud allegations. There seem to be a bunch of new apps on there now with similar names but I'm a bit dubious about trying them.

davhfc

Bounce Radge
Thanks, I used to use ES File Explorer but Google removed it from Play store, apparently due to some kind of click fraud allegations. There seem to be a bunch of new apps on there now with similar names but I'm a bit dubious about trying them.
My Android TV box is about 10 years old so has all sorts of dodgy stuff on it!

There is an app on play just now called Network Browser, i installed it on my phone and my shared drives showed up no bother.

Visit Frutin Travel Visit Robertsons Garage

Donate

Help The Bounce, Bounce

We are looking for users to donate to reach our shortfall of £100 per month to pay for the server, we realise that users may not be able to with this nasty virus, but if can, it would be very much appriecated ? We have had some cancellations on Direct Debits sadly. If you wish to set up a DD then please do so via the UPGRADES section. Stay Safe, The Bounce.
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£10.00
This donation drive ends in
Visit Frutin Travel Visit Robertsons Garage

The Bounce is 18 Years Old