Wing threat (1 Viewer)

Rocky

Radge Donator
Private Member
Registered
Reaction score
Am I the only one that thinks that some of our most dangerous play in past few years came from SDG and Boyler working the overlap down the wing? Either Boyle then cutting in or laying off to Sir Dave to hit the bye line.

Maybe I'm wrong but if not why have we not tried to recreate that with signings or formations? I feel like that element of our game is just lost if SDG not in the team.

Could Mackie be the guy to do that SDG role on the left? If so imagine the havoc we could create in defences if that threat was coming down both wings.

Reactions: WJC1848

Hammi

Top radge
Administrator
Radge Donator
Private Member
Registered
Reaction score
Edinburgh, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
SDG's use of the park is fantastic. Hits both bylines, corners and near posts on his side.
I dunno about him before Hibs, but the fact all his career goals are ours is surprising and wonderful at the same time.

It'll be hard for Mackie to emulate that on the other side, not everyone can be Cafu afterall. But as long as he's willing to overlap then he'll be able to learn what works for him. Chances to do something will always come, so far he's shown an ability to deliver multiple good balls. I'm looking forward to his development.

I really enjoy Boyle, he's turned himself into a nightmare for fullbacks. Lightning quick, willing to take players on and fancies himself in a footrace.
Doesn't always score but he started to find a consistency, he's made himself a player that creates a defensive scramble, forces them to worry about coming inside, passing, shooting, going round and staying wide, delivering, driving to the post. I hope he can come back the same, it's a fair layoff.

Horgan doesn't have the same qualities, but I think that's down to a lack of consistent games over seasons like Boyle's had.
But he beats a man, or two, can deliver, gets into scoring positions but lacks composure.

I think over the rest of this season our only real width will need to be supplied by the fullbacks, we don't have the players to sustain a natural wide game for the rest of the season.

Rocky

Radge Donator
Private Member
Registered
Reaction score
SDG's use of the park is fantastic. Hits both bylines, corners and near posts on his side.
I dunno about him before Hibs, but the fact all his career goals are ours is surprising and wonderful at the same time.

It'll be hard for Mackie to emulate that on the other side, not everyone can be Cafu afterall. But as long as he's willing to overlap then he'll be able to learn what works for him. Chances to do something will always come, so far he's shown an ability to deliver multiple good balls. I'm looking forward to his development.

I really enjoy Boyle, he's turned himself into a nightmare for fullbacks. Lightning quick, willing to take players on and fancies himself in a footrace.
Doesn't always score but he started to find a consistency, he's made himself a player that creates a defensive scramble, forces them to worry about coming inside, passing, shooting, going round and staying wide, delivering, driving to the post. I hope he can come back the same, it's a fair layoff.

Horgan doesn't have the same qualities, but I think that's down to a lack of consistent games over seasons like Boyle's had.
But he beats a man, or two, can deliver, gets into scoring positions but lacks composure.

I think over the rest of this season our only real width will need to be supplied by the fullbacks, we don't have the players to sustain a natural wide game for the rest of the season.
Agree with all that so (bearing in mind I love Lewie so the very suggestion does feel a bit like sacrilege) if we were to play Mackie at LB who is best suited to sitting in front of him?

Sir Shrink

Quite a bit past it radge
Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Private Member
Registered
Player Sponsor
Lewis Flag Donator
Monthly Radge
Reaction score

Hammi, I don’t want you to think this is all down to drink, but some of it is.

Actually I can’t remember what I was going to say now. I had to refresh the post there and I’ve lost all .... whatever.

Anyway I think I agree.

Reactions: Hammi

Rocky

Radge Donator
Private Member
Registered
Reaction score
Hammi, I don’t want you to think this is all down to drink, but some of it is.

Actually I can’t remember what I was going to say now. I had to refresh the post there and I’ve lost all .... whatever.

Anyway I think I agree.
Good point, well made

Greenmachine

Radge Donator
Private Member
Registered
Reaction score
I knew we would miss Boyle big time...my heart sank when I heard about his injury and that it was going to keep him out for the season. Not because I think he is any sort of world beater (he is however a superb winger with an eye for goal), but because he is the one attacking player we have who really scares opposition teams because of his pace, skill and tenacity. Pace is absolutely crucial in the modern game and Lennon clearly recognised this. Agyepong was brought in to provide further pace and also to provide cover for Boyle...unfortunately his signing has proved a total disaster as he has been almost constantly injured since he arrived. We certainly need a fit Martin Boyle for the start of next season that is for sure.
It really cannot be overstated just how much serious injuries to so many key players has contributed to our hugely disappointing season.

Reactions: WJC1848

Hammi

Top radge
Administrator
Radge Donator
Private Member
Registered
Reaction score
Agree with all that so (bearing in mind I love Lewie so the very suggestion does feel a bit like sacrilege) if we were to play Mackie at LB who is best suited to sitting in front of him?
Currently, nobody really.
I'd do without wide midfielders just now, if you have a look at my team in tomorrow's game thread, you'll get an idea of my current vision.
I'd play the same with Lewis btw, massive fan here so I'd still have him ahead of Mackie. Was just because it was him you'd asked about in the OP, so I went with it.

When it works properly, like it did under Stubbs, you'd see McGeouch slightly fill in for Gray and McGinn for Lewis when they were the attacking side.
I think we have the right players in midfield to be able to handle the smaller things like that to allow the fullbacks to provide our width.

We've not built a wide team this season, I think alot of that came down to Agyepong getting injured, twice... So we used every single combination instead of, well anything really.

Be interesting to see how a new manager sees the current squad with new eyes.

Rocky

Radge Donator
Private Member
Registered
Reaction score
Currently, nobody really.
I'd do without wide midfielders just now, if you have a look at my team in tomorrow's game thread, you'll get an idea of my current vision.
I'd play the same with Lewis btw, massive fan here so I'd still have him ahead of Mackie. Was just because it was him you'd asked about in the OP, so I went with it.

When it works properly, like it did under Stubbs, you'd see McGeouch slightly fill in for Gray and McGinn for Lewis when they were the attacking side.
I think we have the right players in midfield to be able to handle the smaller things like that to allow the fullbacks to provide our width.

We've not built a wide team this season, I think alot of that came down to Agyepong getting injured, twice... So we used every single combination instead of, well anything really.

Be interesting to see how a new manager sees the current squad with new eyes.
I dunno, I see where you're coming from but I'm sure that somewhere in amongst Mallan, Gauld, Horgan etc there must be someone who can work an overlap with Mackie. The point @Greenmachine made above is key for me - scare the opposition and put them on the back foot - they drop a few yards and you're in.

Leith1975

Private Member
Registered
Part of Bounce
Reaction score
If we could get Agyepong fit he could work that side with Mackie, I’m not holding my breath though.
I really like the look of Mackie, he’s big, strong and he’s got decent vision when it comes to finding a team mate on the break.

Hammi

Top radge
Administrator
Radge Donator
Private Member
Registered
Reaction score
I dunno, I see where you're coming from but I'm sure that somewhere in amongst Mallan, Gauld, Horgan etc there must be someone who can work an overlap with Mackie. The point @Greenmachine made above is key for me - scare the opposition and put them on the back foot - they drop a few yards and you're in.
He's not wrong, in fact he very rarely is.
I'm just looking at what's available right now. We've only ever got one wide player fit at any given time.

The players you mention, of course could play in front of him, but we have nobody on the other side. Gauld was ineffective out wide against St. Mirren but fantastic through the middle. I wouldn't want to take that away again.
Slivka can play on the right if we're using Horgan for example on the left. But it takes away from Slivkas game and changes how the right fullback would play.

We have players capable. But very few naturals in the wide areas.

Hope that makes sense.

Rocky

Radge Donator
Private Member
Registered
Reaction score
He's not wrong, in fact he very rarely is.
I'm just looking at what's available right now. We've only ever got one wide player fit at any given time.

The players you mention, of course could play in front of him, but we have nobody on the other side. Gauld was ineffective out wide against St. Mirren but fantastic through the middle. I wouldn't want to take that away again.
Slivka can play on the right if we're using Horgan for example on the left. But it takes away from Slivkas game and changes how the right fullback would play.

We have players capable. But very few naturals in the wide areas.

Hope that makes sense.
Makes perfect sense, it just makes me sad that if SDG and Boyle are out we just don't seem to have that attacking option in the team.

Hammi

Top radge
Administrator
Radge Donator
Private Member
Registered
Reaction score
Makes perfect sense, it just makes me sad that if SDG and Boyle are out we just don't seem to have that attacking option in the team.
Me too, of course. It winds me up seeing Boyle play as a wingback because he can't operate from so deep.

As a side note though. Gray and Slivka do work well on the right together. Slivka naturally doesn't go beyond the opposing fullback and Gray is forever an option for him.
Doesn't work well with Whittaker though, because they both operate in the same way.
Tough job balancing a squad. We've failed to do it with the deeper squad. There's 11 players that could work. But when there's a need for the 12th to 17th players we're wonky

Rocky

Radge Donator
Private Member
Registered
Reaction score
Me too, of course. It winds me up seeing Boyle play as a wingback because he can't operate from so deep.

As a side note though. Gray and Slivka do work well on the right together. Slivka naturally doesn't go beyond the opposing fullback and Gray is forever an option for him.
Doesn't work well with Whittaker though, because they both operate in the same way.
Tough job balancing a squad. We've failed to do it with the deeper squad. There's 11 players that could work. But when there's a need for the 12th to 17th players we're wonky
Think they must have read that before that first half performance - I thought they worked really well together.

Dundee v Hibs

Harp and Castle Visit Dumbreck Decorators
Visit robertsons garage Visit Frutin Travel