• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

Will you download the Covid-19 app?

Will you download the Covid-19 app?

• Yes

Votes: 11 28.2%
  • No

Votes: 28 71.8%

• Total voters

Jack

Private Member
Reaction score
There was a short discussion on this on one of the other covid related threads. A bit late to turn it into a poll though.

Make your own mind up, as I'm sure you will.

EDIT. Scottish Government MAY be going down their own route but hasn't made up its mind yet. The UK version is still an option.

Last edited:
I'm very keen to do all I can to help the UK get through this crisis.

However there is no way I would consider downloading an app produced by the people. The way this one has procured is extremely dubious - at best. It just seems all as dodgy as fuck.

So unless it becomes a legal requirement to do so I'll pass.

I'm still confused as to how it is supposed to work and how it will benefit us in suppressing this virus ? Even after watching the scottish government press conference today I am still none the wiser. In fairness, i'm a bit of a thicko when it comes to anything digital.

Not a fucking chance. So you "drive" to say the shops and pass a covid zone and the app picks you up and you need to isolate, no fecking danger.

Yep, if it helps to get me back in a pub any sooner I'll do it.

Not a fucking chance. So you "drive" to say the shops and pass a covid zone and the app picks you up and you need to isolate, no fecking danger.
If that is the way it works I will be changing the way I just voted. As I understand it though, you will need to be within 2 meters of a covid19 carrier for a period of 15 minutes. I don’t believe it trips if you briefly go past a carrier. I could be wrong J, it wouldn’t be the first time

If that is the way it works I will be changing the way I just voted. As I understand it though, you will need to be within 2 meters of a covid19 carrier for a period of 15 minutes. I don’t believe it trips if you briefly go past a carrier. I could be wrong J, it wouldn’t be the first time

I dunno tbh mate, that is just my thinking of how it would work, if its within 2m then I will change my vote too and rant lol

No.

If it aids the country to get back to some sort of normality then it’s a nobrainer then again I don’t suffer from any sort of paranoia

No para here :lookaround:

If its implemented correctly then all good.

If not then yer isolating 7-8-9-10 times in a year?

If it aids the country to get back to some sort of normality then it’s a nobrainer then again I don’t suffer from any sort of paranoia
Cheque is in the post for my free psycho analysis, I think I'm Larry Lloyd. Lol

I'm very keen to do all I can to help the UK get through this crisis.

However there is no way I would consider downloading an app produced by the people. The way this one has procured is extremely dubious - at best. It just seems all as dodgy as fuck.

So unless it becomes a legal requirement to do so I'll pass.

BIG G

Cheque is in the post for my free psycho analysis, I think I'm Larry Lloyd. Lol
The Larry bit is good!

And 'No' to the App.

If it only alerts you once you’ve spent 15 mins near someone with symptoms then why are we social distancing in shops etc now,15 mins suggests you’ve a very low chance of catching it unless you spend the whole time next to someone.

In the workplace and on public transport it seems a decent idea as you’re confined for a decent amount of time.

As almost every other country in Europe is using a different type of App for this then i’m probably a no.

I dont get all the No's. From what I understand its the safest app that'll be on your phone compared tae a' the other shite we store on them. I'd certainly want tae know if I've been in contact with a covid carrier.

I dont get all the No's. From what I understand its the safest app that'll be on your phone compared tae a' the other shite we store on them. I'd certainly want tae know if I've been in contact with a covid carrier.
From a privacy point of view you’re wanting Apple or Google to be behind the Apps rather than GCHQ and the Government....

Have a read of the thread of tweets and read the reports...

Ooh my civil liberties are at risk here.
Fukn Mugs.

End.

As almost every other country in Europe is using a different type of App for this then i’m probably a no.
Your right, almost every other country is using a different app, but most of them are also different from each other. France and Ireland are considering using a similar app .Apple and google will hold information about you and with this app the govt wont. Also as far as I can make out it was the NHS that knocked back apple and google and GCHQ were only advisory to iron out problems.

From a privacy point of view you’re wanting Apple or Google to be behind the Apps rather than GCHQ and the Government....
From a privacy point of view you're wanting GCHQ and the Government to be behind the Apps rather than Apple or Google...

Wouldnae trust ANY of them afa I could chuck 'em.

PS @Daddy 'O' Hibee who is Larry Lloyd?

Your right, almost every other country is using a different app, but most of them are also different from each other. France and Ireland are considering using a similar app .Apple and google will hold information about you and with this app the govt wont. Also as far as I can make out it was the NHS that knocked back apple and google and GCHQ were only advisory to iron out problems.
Na in the UK all our info will be held on a central server,In the other countries our info is held on our phones....

I've got google maps on my phone. It's a bit creepy when I jump in the car on a Saturday for the Hibs game for my phone to suddenly tell me how long it will take mt to get to the Hibs game........ and on weekdays how long it will take me to get to the office.......

So Big Brother is already tracking me.

I'll be downloading and using the app. I already use the Covid Symptom Tracker.

Not putting it on my phone
I deliver to hundreds of people every week but I'm usually back in the van within seconds

So, let me get this right. If you download this app you may one night when you are siting in watching the TV get some random phoning you up to say our records show that you have been in contact with someone (when and how ?) who has tested positive for Covid-19....so please stay in your house and don't go out at all for the next fortnight. Do they really think this is going to work ?

With the world going digital rapidly, I was wondering if the acceptance of such technology is driven by our age, three of my kids are 40 down to 29 are pro this advance. One loving how Sweden has done away with cash. I'm an old fart and have no love whatsoever for it. It should be personal choice never forced on people.

With the world going digital rapidly, I was wondering if the acceptance of such technology is driven by our age, three of my kids are 40 down to 29 are pro this advance. One loving how Sweden has done away with cash. I'm an old fart and have no love whatsoever for it. It should be personal choice never forced on people.

Definitely not an age thing, or not 100% anyway, because I'm quite happy to co-operate. I was in Iceland last year and it's virtually cashless there, first wee holiday I've gone on without taking any local currency with me and surviving purely on plastic. It was pretty good!

I don't think the new app is being forced on anyone though, it's entirely personal choice whether to use it or not. Going by the poll here so far, it's not that popular.

So, let me get this right. If you download this app you may one night when you are siting in watching the TV get some random phoning you up to say our records show that you have been in contact with someone (when and how ?) who has tested positive for Covid-19....so please stay in your house and don't go out at all for the next fortnight. Do they really think this is going to work ?
Would you no' want tae know then ? I would. Whether they ask you to stay in or just advise you to have a test remains tae be seen but I think we've got tae use every tool at our disposal tae fight this virus and get back tae normality. I agree wi' Shrinky and this one app isnae gonnae make the slightest bit of difference tae what the govt or google or apple or any other *&*^ wi' the means tae find out knows about you

Definitely not an age thing, or not 100% anyway, because I'm quite happy to co-operate. I was in Iceland last year and it's virtually cashless there, first wee holiday I've gone on without taking any local currency with me and surviving purely on plastic. It was pretty good!

I don't think the new app is being forced on anyone though, it's entirely personal choice whether to use it or not. Going by the poll here so far, it's not that popular.
My youngest enjoyed the cash free trip to Sweden much the same as you, I guess you have greater knowledge of the digital system, just guessing, work related needs increase your knowledge of modern devices? I still think a large proportion of older folk are apprehensive of technology, no proof. Truthfully I think its coming and there's no stopping it.

Would you no' want tae know then ? I would. Whether they ask you to stay in or just advise you to have a test remains tae be seen but I think we've got tae use every tool at our disposal tae fight this virus and get back tae normality. I agree wi' Shrinky and this one app isnae gonnae make the slightest bit of difference tae what the govt or google or apple or any other *&*^ wi' the means tae find out knows about you
Fair enough. If it's going to help beat this virus, then I will be up for it.

I think you'd have to be mental to put a government app on your phone so soon after the Cambridge analytica scandal.

So, personally, I won't.

I think you'd have to be mental to put a government app on your phone so soon after the Cambridge analytica scandal.

So, personally, I won't.
Some tech folk think it won’t work properly anyway

I have zero trust in those pricks in London so it’s a no from me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't see how it would work as I don't often have my phone on me. It's either in the van, car or locker when at work. Half the time I need to phone myself to find it.

@Sir Shrink mentioned above about google maps - It's fascinating what they do, and if you use it for travel which I do, it can tell you what seems like to the metre where you will hit traffic.

I already use my phone as a tracker - I use an app that auto logs my mileage, and also so my wife and kids know where I am at any given moment. I work alone, so its a safety thing.

The possibilities here, using phones as trackers, are amazing. Imagine plotting the location of phones as the coronvirus infections had grown - you would have been able to extrapolate hot spots, transmissions, spread. Truly remarkable information which undoubtedly would have saved lives.

To do it now though? It's a bit late in the day, and I'm sorry, I do not trust the conservatives not to have a hidden agenda. Matt Hancock yesterday berating the Sunday Times for "Factually incorrect" information, which came from, erm Matt Hancocks department is high farce.

But, to recap, the tories are a long way from having my trust with my personal information.

@Sir Shrink mentioned above about google maps - It's fascinating what they do, and if you use it for travel which I do, it can tell you what seems like to the metre where you will hit traffic.

I already use my phone as a tracker - I use an app that auto logs my mileage, and also so my wife and kids know where I am at any given moment. I work alone, so its a safety thing.

The possibilities here, using phones as trackers, are amazing. Imagine plotting the location of phones as the coronvirus infections had grown - you would have been able to extrapolate hot spots, transmissions, spread. Truly remarkable information which undoubtedly would have saved lives.

To do it now though? It's a bit late in the day, and I'm sorry, I do not trust the conservatives not to have a hidden agenda. Matt Hancock yesterday berating the Sunday Times for "Factually incorrect" information, which came from, erm Matt Hancocks department is high farce.

But, to recap, the tories are a long way from having my trust with my personal information.
The PDA that I use for work has a sat nav that uses Google maps. Most of the time it works fine but sometimes can be a couple of hundred yards out. Not much good for something that needs accuracy.

If it's a government app, it probably won't work anyway. :cryy:

as has been said,if you carry a phone or use a debit credit card, then if big brother wants to track you , he can anyway.

I think my personal information would be safer with my govt., of whichever persuasion, than it is with Apple or Google so those of us who already use apps, online banking, even Amazon or search engines have very little left to hide. This is why I've little time for political dogmatism, when it comes to shit like this. The tories suggest it so labour supporters wont do it on principal and vice versa. If it's going to get us back tae fitba', pubs and everything else we enjoy safely and quicker then IMO it would be daft not to.

It's the app announced by the scottish government yesterday I am on about. I don't trust Johnson's mob either.

In spirit it’s not a bad idea, but in reality I can’t see it working as intended.

Everyone would need to use it, which they won’t.

This thread has been viewed 9596 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£47.50