• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

Will they be off?

Davy

get off yer bum an sing radge
Private Member
Reaction score
There were a few players left out game yesterday..and probably more to come as guys like Gray and McGregor return. Who of these do you think will be off in January...would be good to see them having a chance under new manager but will they impress? James, Vela, Jackson? One thing we are seeing is that Hecky may well have known players who could do a job, but couldn't get them playing himself.

Glenn Middleton for me is the player most conspicuous by his absence in recent weeks. I think it's a stick-on he will be back to the huns in January with Boyle getting fully back to match fitness.
James and Vela possibly going out as well. Vela is a strange one. He has shown nothing since he came to Hibs, but he was quite highly rated in the lower leagues in England and the Bolton fans were gutted at losing him. I fear Rocky will be away as well. McGregor back in full training apparently with Sir David not far behind. I still feel however they are not going to feature much this season. Jackson is a bit of an enigma...at times I have been impressed with him, and other times he has looked inadequate. Maybe Ross can get a player out of him yet ?

Last edited:
I would be sad to see Marciano go but he's not getting a game so who can blame him

I would punt Vela and Middleton immediately

Vela belongs in the bottom leagues of England whilst Middleton is a Championship player

I think expectations were too high for Middleton. At the end of the day he is a 19 year old youth Development player who had a few first team games with the huns. When he came to Hibs many fans myself included were expecting him to be a younger version of Martin Boyle with similar pace, and not surprisingly he has failed to meet those expectations. He might end up being a good player, but at the moment he is just some young lad with a bit of potential.

Middleton is any easy one as we can cancel his loan deal.

Any others who might leave need to have a club willing to take them, as we’re not going to pay off players who signed 3 year contracts in the summer.

It seems Marciano is destined for the exit for whatever reason, so we should receive some kind of fee for him. Vela will probably follow him out the door, and can see either Shaw or Murray going out on loan.

I don’t really expect James or Jackson to depart, purely because it would leave us short of options at the back.

I think the defence needs work, and I'm not convinced that either James or Jackson would be the answer to the frailties of the present line-up. Gray and McGregor have been exceptional players for us, but I can't help feeling that they're coming to the end of their time as first-team regulars. Same goes for Whitty. No adverse criticism there - just facing unwelcome facts.

I'd like to see a really strong midfield player to play in front of the centre-backs - a bit like the guy Bartley who plays for Livingston ... (Where did they get him from? Let me think. Oh yes - us. Nice one, 'Hecky'! :loopy:)

Newell looks a reasonable player; Hallberg also; and we know Stevie Mallin can play, but not the way dear 'Hecky' was playing him. (I'll say it again - just because you have a degree in sports coaching does not make you the next Pep Guardiola. Or even the next Neil McCann.) Christian Doidge gets himself into a lot of scoring positions; I'd expect to see his conversion rate improving as the games go by. Flo's last two games have been terrific, and Scott Allan is a wondeful talent and a genuine top-class midfielder. An old-fashioned Scottish inside-forward - like Peter Cormack, Alex Edwards, Darren Jackson, Willie Hamilton, and many others who have worn the green and white in days past.

JR can't just clear the squad of all the players I don't like, though; he needs to be able to field a team and have players on the bench for tactical changes and emergencies. It's a lot easier to wreck a football squad than it is to rebuild - it took Butcher no time at all, for instance. I have the feeling that Jack Ross is already much more in step with the club and the people already working and playing at the club than 'Hecky' ever was. But only time and future results will tell.

I think the defence needs work, and I'm not convinced that either James or Jackson would be the answer to the frailties of the present line-up. Gray and McGregor have been exceptional players for us, but I can't help feeling that they're coming to the end of their time as first-team regulars. Same goes for Whitty. No adverse criticism there - just facing unwelcome facts.

I'd like to see a really strong midfield player to play in front of the centre-backs - a bit like the guy Bartley who plays for Livingston ... (Where did they get him from? Let me think. Oh yes - us. Nice one, 'Hecky'! :loopy:)

Newell looks a reasonable player; Hallberg also; and we know Stevie Mallin can play, but not the way dear 'Hecky' was playing him. (I'll say it again - just because you have a degree in sports coaching does not make you the next Pep Guardiola. Or even the next Neil McCann.) Christian Doidge gets himself into a lot of scoring positions; I'd expect to see his conversion rate improving as the games go by. Flo's last two games have been terrific, and Scott Allan is a wondeful talent and a genuine top-class midfielder. An old-fashioned Scottish inside-forward - like Peter Cormack, Alex Edwards, Darren Jackson, Willie Hamilton, and many others who have worn the green and white in days past.

JR can't just clear the squad of all the players I don't like, though; he needs to be able to field a team and have players on the bench for tactical changes and emergencies. It's a lot easier to wreck a football squad than it is to rebuild - it took Butcher no time at all, for instance. I have the feeling that Jack Ross is already much more in step with the club and the people already working and playing at the club than 'Hecky' ever was. But only time and future results will tell.
I agree with almost everything you've stated except you're maybe writing off Sir David a wee bit too early. Maybe, just maybe, he might be the very man to sit in front of the back four. As far as Darren is concerned, then this may indeed be the beginning of the end for him, although he will be doing his best to prove every one of us wrong. It really is becoming difficult to accept we're seeing the end of the Cup winning warriors. Sorry, none of this applies to Lewis !!

I‘m quite happy for david and Darren to have jobs for life - especially if they can coach.

players that don’t play are a luxury we can’t afford though.

I think expectations were too high for Middleton. At the end of the day he is a 19 year old youth Development player who had a few first team games with the huns. When he came to Hibs many fans myself included were expecting him to be a younger version of Martin Boyle with similar pace, and not surprisingly he has failed to meet those expectations. He might end up being a good player, but at the moment he is just some young lad with a bit of potential.
Middleton is an interesting one, I tend to agree with your assessment and I have to say it begs the question what did the Huns think he would benefit coming to us. He would have been far better going to a championship or 1st Div side to get some experience and game time rather than us where the expectation and pressure were far more than they would have been.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Think we’ve see the best of Paul Hanlon, Darren McGregor and possibly SDG. I think we need to start looking for longterm PROVEN replacements. I thought we should have made moves for Halkett in the summer. A solid reliable defender with potential to keep improving. That’s the kind of player we need to be looking at. There’s always Eve too. Guys got at least another 2-3 seasons left in him.

I'd be looking to bring in a CB to replace Hanlon, and midfielders to replace Slivka and Newell with those three dropping to back-up roles.

That means Vela and Jackson are definitely surplus to requirements. I would hope Ross will use any contacts he has down south offload them for a fee or as part of a player plus cash deal for anyone decent he had his eye on down there.

James isn't the answer but having a decent utility player in the squad is no bad thing so I'd like to keep him.

I agree with almost everything you've stated except you're maybe writing off Sir David a wee bit too early. Maybe, just maybe, he might be the very man to sit in front of the back four. As far as Darren is concerned, then this may indeed be the beginning of the end for him, although he will be doing his best to prove every one of us wrong. It really is becoming difficult to accept we're seeing the end of the Cup winning warriors. Sorry, none of this applies to Lewis !!

That actualIy I hadn't thought of. I was thinking of SDG's fitness - as long as he's fit I would totally have him in the side. I was watching brief highlights just now and when Motherwell scored their goal every Hibs defender was fixated on what was happening on the Motherwell left; not one had the gumption to look behind him to see the guy who scored sneaking in from wide on the Motherwell right, and a lot of them were were just standing, flat-footed and clueless, when the guy scored. They're Hibs players, I love them, but that's just not good enough. SDG is the sort of auld heid that would be awake to the danger and start roaring at them to waken up. It's 360 degree spatial awareness - or just FREAKIN KEEP LOOKING BEHIND YOU. It ain't rocket science. John Blackley used to do it brilliantly.

Second half, we lost possession a few times from just the same cause - a 'Well player coming in from the blind side and nicking the ball of a dozey blighter who didn't see him coming.

Every back three/four/five needs a leader; we didn't have one on Saturday. That's why we're missing Darren and SDG so much. They provide the experience that Porto lacks - he's ony young yet, but a terrific prospect - and that Paul Hanlon isn't giving just now. Paul worries me - I have no doubt as to his ability, but he's struggling right now.

But hey - we won, and we have a new boss who's going to address all these issues, and unlike myself, he actually knows what he's talking about.

Semper paratus, semper fidelis. Gaun the Hibees! :wolfie:

Think we’ve see the best of Paul Hanlon, Darren McGregor and possibly SDG. I think we need to start looking for longterm PROVEN replacements. I thought we should have made moves for Halkett in the summer. A solid reliable defender with potential to keep improving. That’s the kind of player we need to be looking at. There’s always Eve too. Guys got at least another 2-3 seasons left in him.

Poor man's Porto.

Poor man's Porto.

Don't disagree, him and Porto would be a very solid pairing though. Just on what I saw when Livi played us.

Don't disagree, him and Porto would be a very solid pairing though. Just on what I saw when Livi played us.

Both right footed which isn't always the ideal pairing.

This thread has been viewed 1714 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£47.50
Back