Will Lennon be given funds?

SuperTortolano

Private Member
Registered
Jul 21, 2008
Murica
Now that McGinn has been sold, will Neil Lennon be given sufficient funds to strengthen the team? So far we have four players brought in on loan and two signed permanent. With the money generated through ST sales, Europe and the sale of McGinn and Murray, money MUST be made available.

Personally I think Lennon should be given at least 2 million to bolster the squad and improve on last season. What I don't want to see are more loan players brought in. The quality of loan players has been very good of late and they are a good thing, but I still prefer a core of players that are contracted.

I think we are in a huge position of strength to pull away from the pack and really kick on. Under Lennon I think we are only 2-3 quality players away from doing some big things.

So how much do you think Lennon will have to work with and will we bolster the squad with the money brought in?

Jack

Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Private Member
Registered
Player Sponsor
Monthly Radge
Ladies Player Sponsor
Gray Boot Sponsor
Nov 11, 2007
A stool at the bar
Apart from £1m or so for the indoor pitch at East Mains what else is there to spend money on apart from players?

The new regime under Leeann has a pretty good record for reinvesting transfer income.

PILTONSTANY

Shameless Radge
Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Private Member
Registered
Player Sponsor
Nov 5, 2002
Edinburgh's Waterfront
£2m isn’t that much though,It’s probably Mallan and Kamberi (including wages)....

Greenmachine

Radge Donator
Registered
Feb 22, 2004
Edinburgh
The upward trajectory of the club over the last few years has meant huge crowds and a general feel-good factor being established. Unless the club intends to risk all of that it must give the manager sufficient funds to properly replace players like Dylan and John McGinn...two talismanic figures of the post-relegation era. When you lose players of that calibre you have to at least make a serious attempt at trying to replace them. If results start to suffer as a consequence of the overall standard of the team dropping due to lack of proper investment, just watch the change in the attitude of the fans...especially those who came back to the club in big numbers in the wake of the Scottish Cup win. The club cannot afford for that to happen and IMO Neil Lennon won't stand for that happening under his watch as manager. I realise we don't have the money to buy another fully developed Dylan or SJM, but neither did Stubbs when he managed to bring both to the club. They were both highly promising youngsters when he signed them, but they developed and prospered in the years after Stubbs signed them, and they turned into top players under both managers whilst at Hibs and both have now earned big moves to English football. We need to invest in similar types of players and develop them. We were able to do it three and four years ago, we should be able to do it again.

Last edited:

PILTONSTANY

Shameless Radge
Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Private Member
Registered
Player Sponsor
Nov 5, 2002
Edinburgh's Waterfront
Think it was about £350,000 for the pair of them. Let's just say they are on £5000 a week each, which is definitely on the high side, only comes to about £850,000.
That’s what i’m meaning though,If we spend say £400k on a decent player then we have to pay him the value in wages and £2m isn’t that much in the grand scheme (though i’d obv like to see us spend it :deal1:)

Hammi

Top radge
Administrator
Radge Donator
Private Member
Registered
Dec 26, 2007
Edinburgh, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
We'll already have spare money in the wage budget and now with McGinns wages away that's increased again.

We don't need to be increasing that by too much.
A bit, sure, but not to that level.

MSG_07

Registered
May 25, 2007
Lapland
If it means spending to get quality players on longterm deals I'm for it. We've done so for both Mallan and Flo. A rare thing to see a transfer fee...

Chris G Whyte

Radge Donator
Registered
Jan 16, 2008
The Netherlands
www.twitter.com
When you lose players of that calibre you have at least make a serious attempt at trying to replace them. If results start to suffer as a consequence of the overall standard of the team dropping due to lack of proper investment, just watch the change in the attitude of the fans...
We already have a historical example; namely, when replacing Scott Brown and Steven Fletcher with Brian Kerr and Clayton Donaldson led to an irreversible collapse that destined us for relegation. Unfortunately, I'm a touch worried about the parallels we're seeing... Specifically, with regard to loan signings.

Recently, they've been solid and have contributed in the main - but several haven't, and it simply isn't a long-term strategy that's financially lucrative. I want the McGinn money spent on actual Hibs players, and not spent developing someone else's players to a stage where we can't afford to sign them.

Jack

Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Private Member
Registered
Player Sponsor
Monthly Radge
Ladies Player Sponsor
Gray Boot Sponsor
Nov 11, 2007
A stool at the bar
What's everyone's thoughts on what we got, are getting, for SJM?

From chatting to folk I've heard;

£2.1m. celtc in instalments, AV up front.​
£2.7m. As above, and​
£4.0m from AV rising to £6.0m with add ons. Most folk quoting AV sources on that one!​

Speculation around a sell on fee are rife. Anywhere between 5% and 30%.

SKII

Administrator
Radge Donator
Lewis Flag Donator
Monthly Radge
Oct 26, 2004
Right here, right now
We already have a historical example; namely, when replacing Scott Brown and Steven Fletcher with Brian Kerr and Clayton Donaldson led to an irreversible collapse that destined us for relegation. Unfortunately, I'm a touch worried about the parallels we're seeing... Specifically, with regard to loan signings.

Recently, they've been solid and have contributed in the main - but several haven't, and it simply isn't a long-term strategy that's financially lucrative. I want the McGinn money spent on actual Hibs players, and not spent developing someone else's players to a stage where we can't afford to sign them.
Our recruitment policy is light years away from those days. Light years.

Which loans didn't contribute recently?
Dylan?
Efe?
Flo?
Jamie?
Rocky?
Barker?
Allan?

The only one I can think of is Rherras?

Last edited:

southfieldhibby

Private Member
Registered
Player Sponsor
Lewis Flag Donator
Oct 12, 2002
EH15
If he's given £2M to fund a couple of good quality contracts over 3 years we should be able to get a couple of good players in.

Jack

Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Private Member
Registered
Player Sponsor
Monthly Radge
Ladies Player Sponsor
Gray Boot Sponsor
Nov 11, 2007
A stool at the bar

I think that's the way of the world, or at least the UK, these days.

Any decent youngster is being snapped up by the EPL and English Championship academies from their teens and lent out to the likes of us in their early 20s. Where in the past we may have been able to scout these guys and sign them up on contracts 1,000s of these players are just not available.

Brandon Barker was a decent player for us. Not outstanding but he was reputedly on more than £10k a week!

I can't see things changing much in the foreseeable future. Until the revolution or the TV companies collapse as their money dries up.

Smurf

Private Member
Registered
May 15, 2003
Suburbia
Yes he will be given funds as he already has. The game has moved on and we need to accept that loan signings are a fundamental ingredient to our success. We now have a proper identification and player recruitment process. Therefore, much more due diligence is done on whoever comes in on loan or permanent. Ideally we would all love all players to be permanent (if that exists) but the reality is to get in quality it probably needs to be in lots of instances a loan arrangement. What I'd like to see in these instances is agreement reached on their parent club on an agreed fee and first option etc as happened with Kamberi.

Chris G Whyte

Radge Donator
Registered
Jan 16, 2008
The Netherlands
www.twitter.com
Which loans didn't contribute recently?
Dylan?
Efe?
Flo?
Jamie?
Rocky?
Barker?
Allan?

The only one I can think of is Rherras?
I’m not arguing that we’re where we were, bud, I’m just noting that the similarities in approaching loans is something I don’t like. What did Anier or Jake Sinclair really achieve? What about Islam Feruz or Feycal Rherras, who I’d forgotten until you mentioned him? Andrew Shinnie didn’t set the heather alight, either, yet we probably paid them all competitively for a combined total of what? Twenty games?

It’s money down the drain, in my view.

But, yes, it’s magnitudes away from the Matt Done or Danny Haynes days. Fucking Richard Towell. Holy shit.

SKII

Administrator
Radge Donator
Lewis Flag Donator
Monthly Radge
Oct 26, 2004
Right here, right now
I’m not arguing that we’re where we were, bud, I’m just noting that the similarities in approaching loans is something I don’t like. What did Anier or Jake Sinclair really achieve? What about Islam Feruz or Feycal Rherras, who I’d forgotten until you mentioned him? Andrew Shinnie didn’t set the heather alight, either, yet we probably paid them all competitively for a combined total of what? Twenty games?

It’s money down the drain, in my view.

But, yes, it’s magnitudes away from the Matt Done or Danny Haynes days. Fucking Richard Towell. Holy shit.
We're never getting 100% success rate in our return for any group of players. That's not how it works but if the duds are loanees a) we hand them back and are not stuck with them drawing a wage and us getting nowt and b) the parent club pays some of that wage. Barker was on 10K a week. We didn't pay anywhere near that for his services. Like the Gunts and Naishit- 30K a week. And Aberdeen and Christie.. And...And...

It's Scottish football post Bosman and post a keech tv deal. We can't compete with the wages down south at all. Not even the Uglies.

Hibee Kev

Radge Donator
Private Member
Registered
Nov 2, 2006
Gloucester
I can't see things changing much in the foreseeable future. Until the revolution or the TV companies collapse as their money dries up.
Bit off-topic, but I can see something like this happening in the next 5-10 years. Whereas it used to just be Sky as the main players, TV coverage of fitba is now fragmenting to an extent where you have lots of smaller guys grabbing their share of the market. All the while Sky and BT are charging ever increasing prices for a much-reduced offering, something has to give.