Why is your street called what it is?

moathibby

Private Member
Registered
Mar 20, 2007
edinburgh
For anyne wondering why I have the monicor Moathibby it's because I live in Moat House which is in Moat Drive.Anyway I was just wondering why the area was called the Moat as there seems to be nae sign of a castle and so nae need for a moat.So I was wondering do any of the other bouncers know why their street is so called?

Jack

Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Private Member
Registered
Player Sponsor
Monthly Radge
Ladies Player Sponsor
Gray Boot Sponsor
Nov 11, 2007
A stool at the bar
For anyne wondering why I have the monicor Moathibby it's because I live in Moat House which is in Moat Drive.Anyway I was just wondering why the area was called the Moat as there seems to be nae sign of a castle and so nae need for a moat.So I was wondering do any of the other bouncers know why their street is so called?

Part 2: M
MOAT DRIVE PLACE STREET TERRACE----This name was first introduced when Moat Place, a short line of tenement buildings, was built about 1890.The builder was George Roberts, Haymarket Terrace. No person by the name of "Moat" can be traced. Possibly the idea originated from the location of the Union Canal to the south and the Water of Leith to the north giving the impression of a moat round this block. In 1890 more open ground existed in the vicinity and the environment then would give rise to this idea more than it would today.

Because the database is in two parts of you're looking for a particular street it's often easier using the search facility.
Edinburgh Street Names | Edinburgh

Jack

Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Private Member
Registered
Player Sponsor
Monthly Radge
Ladies Player Sponsor
Gray Boot Sponsor
Nov 11, 2007
A stool at the bar
HALMYRE STREET On the property of Mr. Gordon of Halmyre, near West Linton, jr. See Gordon St

He might have lived in West Linton, I'm fae Leith!

Apr 7, 2007
San Francisco
I live in the US. My street name is Galland Street. The house I live in was built as a sanatorium in the late 1800's by doctor Galland, an Irish Immigrant to the US. Hence, Galland Street was due to doctor Galland's hospital being built on it.

wee_hissy

Get tae f**k ya auld radge
Radge Donator
Private Member
Registered
Aug 16, 2002
muirhoose
Named from the Mansion house of Muirhouse, home of the Davidson family for manyyears. The Barony of Muirhouse was purchased in 1776 by William Davidson, died 1795,buried in Cramond Kirk. It is thought that this family gave the name to Davidsons Mains.In a charter of Robert Bruce mention is made of Muirhouse, - "the King's Meadow and Muir of Cramond"

HaarlemShuffler

Coffee Shop Radge
Radge Donator
Private Member
Registered
Lived a good few uears in Burdiehouse Drive. Name comes from Bordeaux, from time when Franco-Scots alliance against England existed (and left words like 'fash' - fâcher in the lingo).

Not sure if related to Little France, probs tho. Not too far away?

Another one one of our teachers at primary told us: Liberton has nowt to do wi freedom, it was where the old Embra leper colony lived: leper town.

Purple & Green

Radge McRadge
Administrator
Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Player Sponsor
Jun 27, 2002
Gourock
www.hibeesbounce.com
I live in Dunvegan Gardens, this part of the town I live in, all streets were named after Scottish Castles.
I live in Dunvegan Avenue - different part of the world but same reason

Westside Green

Private Member
Registered
Feb 16, 2009
Ayrshire
Never knew any of this until 5 minutes ago.
The lands and barony of Grougar can be traced in the Register of the Great Seal of Scotland as from 1315. The earliest reference occurs between 1315 and 1321 when King Robert the Bruce granted a charter to Sir Robert Cunningham of the lands of Lambrachton and of Grugar in Cunningham [RGS.I.53].[1] Grougar remained in the hands of the Cunningham family until 19 January 1479 when Robert Cunningham resigned the lands of Grugar, which with the lands and barony of Snawde, the lands of Westbarns, lands of Carale, and the lands of Grugar, were incorporated into the lands and barony of Grougar, Ayrshire, by King James III and granted to Sir Robert Logan [RGS.II.1411].[2]
Grougar had returned into the hands of its former owners the Logans a long established Ayrshire family and remained with them until the late sixteenth century. The principal branch of the family was the Logans of Restalrig near Edinburgh. One of its most prominent members was Sir Robert Logan of Restalrig who married Katherine Stewart, daughter of King Robert II of Scotland, and in 1400 became Admiral of Scotland.

moathibby

Private Member
Registered
Mar 20, 2007
edinburgh
Never knew any of this until 5 minutes ago.
The lands and barony of Grougar can be traced in the Register of the Great Seal of Scotland as from 1315. The earliest reference occurs between 1315 and 1321 when King Robert the Bruce granted a charter to Sir Robert Cunningham of the lands of Lambrachton and of Grugar in Cunningham [RGS.I.53].[1] Grougar remained in the hands of the Cunningham family until 19 January 1479 when Robert Cunningham resigned the lands of Grugar, which with the lands and barony of Snawde, the lands of Westbarns, lands of Carale, and the lands of Grugar, were incorporated into the lands and barony of Grougar, Ayrshire, by King James III and granted to Sir Robert Logan [RGS.II.1411].[2]
Grougar had returned into the hands of its former owners the Logans a long established Ayrshire family and remained with them until the late sixteenth century. The principal branch of the family was the Logans of Restalrig near Edinburgh. One of its most prominent members was Sir Robert Logan of Restalrig who married Katherine Stewart, daughter of King Robert II of Scotland, and in 1400 became Admiral of Scotland.
So not too clear.Loganlea something?

moathibby

Private Member
Registered
Mar 20, 2007
edinburgh
Currently writing this from Findlay Grove my mum's hoose where I was brought up.The steel consructed houses were part of what was a Housing Association house the Chair of which in 1926 was a guy called Findlay.It's says see also Fraser Avenue,where my mum was brought up.Near Boswell Parkway off Granton Rd.

wee_hissy

Get tae f**k ya auld radge
Radge Donator
Private Member
Registered
Aug 16, 2002
muirhoose
Currently writing this from Findlay Grove my mum's hoose where I was brought up.The steel consructed houses were part of what was a Housing Association house the Chair of which in 1926 was a guy called Findlay.It's says see also Fraser Avenue,where my mum was brought up.Near Boswell Parkway off Granton Rd.
Boswall mate, grew up in wardieburn and it fair rips ma knitten as Boswell is in the weedge

Next Game : Hibs v Elgin (Scottish Cup)

Harp and Castle Visit Dumbreck Decorators
Visit robertsons garage Visit Frutin Travel