• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

Who now?

I’m not suggesting we appoint someone until the end of the season. I mean that we could do worse than wait till the summer, while letting May manage the team for the rest of the season.
We're agreeing. :ura:

The other part of my post was an open question to anyone who knows the answer.

Reactions: Zab
I’d honestly be tempted to give it to May & co until the summer, as none of the names mentioned are particularly exciting right now. These are the top 5 favourites according to the sack race:

Jack Ross - does he play the kind of attacking football we want to see? I don’t know, but I’m not convinced he does. Plus he massively favours a 4231, which we all know simply doesn’t work at Hibs. Could be the right man, but not the outstanding candidate some believe he is.

Motherwell’s consistently limp performances against the Glasgow sides, particularly Celtic, is my main concern over Stephen Robinson getting the job. Maybe that’s something that would change with a “better” squad, but again I’m not convinced. That said, he changed their style of play and promoted young players, so I’m not against him getting the job.

Harry Kewell - naw, just naw.

Henrik Larson - never done much as a manager, so again, naw.

Nathan Jones - too many similarities to Hecky: doesn’t know Scottish football, done well at a small club in England, before failing at a big one when given the chance. Naw.

I feel the same way with the names getting punted about. I'm hoping something arises that hasn't been mentioned.

I’d honestly be tempted to give it to May & co until the summer, as none of the names mentioned are particularly exciting right now. These are the top 5 favourites according to the sack race:

Jack Ross - does he play the kind of attacking football we want to see? I don’t know, but I’m not convinced he does. Plus he massively favours a 4231, which we all know simply doesn’t work at Hibs. Could be the right man, but not the outstanding candidate some believe he is.

Motherwell’s consistently limp performances against the Glasgow sides, particularly Celtic, is my main concern over Stephen Robinson getting the job. Maybe that’s something that would change with a “better” squad, but again I’m not convinced. That said, he changed their style of play and promoted young players, so I’m not against him getting the job.

Harry Kewell - naw, just naw.

Henrik Larson - never done much as a manager, so again, naw.

Nathan Jones - too many similarities to Hecky: doesn’t know Scottish football, done well at a small club in England, before failing at a big one when given the chance. Naw.
I agree and said the same to my daughter yesterday. I am completely underwhelmed by the apparent front runners. Eddie seemed to not rule himself out as well.
It does make it difficult not to appoint him at the end of the season if he does well and that means we might paint ourselves into a corner which might mean the best candidate is not necessarily the one who gets the job.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

I agree and said the same to my daughter yesterday. I am completely underwhelmed by the apparent front runners. Eddie seemed to not rule himself out as well.
It does make it difficult not to appoint him at the end of the season if he does well and that means we might paint ourselves into a corner which might mean the best candidate is not necessarily the one who gets the job.

I think it's pretty clear Eddie doesn't want it. He's said so more than once which seems pretty close to ruling himself out.

Thought you wanted an experienced manager? Kennedy has never been a manager so would be a massive gamble.

I'd rather have Kennedy who knows the league instead of some of the others being mentioned like Kewell or Jones who are too similar to Hecky, I did want experience but I don't think Clarke would come to us.

I'd rather have Kennedy who knows the league instead of some of the others being mentioned like Kewell or Jones who are too similar to Hecky, I did want experience but I don't think Clarke would come to us.

This is why I wouldn't mind Scot Gemmil.

This is why I wouldn't mind Scot Gemmil.

I don't think he was in the so called top 5 mate.

I don't think he was in the so called top 5 mate.

I know. Which is ludicrous if you ask me.

I think Kennedy is a decent shout, as is Gemmil, better than the likes of Kewell anyway.

I think either of those two would benefit from joining in the summer when they can start fresh.

I think it's pretty clear Eddie doesn't want it. He's said so more than once which seems pretty close to ruling himself out.
Not sure, pre-match interview I thought he was slightly less equivocal in ruling it out. I may have picked that up wrong though.

Not sure, pre-match interview I thought he was slightly less equivocal in ruling it out. I may have picked that up wrong though.

Nah I got that feeling too.

I still don’t think he wants the job, but clearly enjoyed the win.

I think Kennedy is a decent shout, as is Gemmil, better than the likes of Kewell anyway.

I think either of those two would benefit from joining in the summer when they can start fresh.
Not happening. Lennon on record as saying Kennedy's an integral part of the setup with the smellies and won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

Not happening. Lennon on record as saying Kennedy's an integral part of the setup with the smellies and won't be going anywhere anytime soon.
Not that I'm bothered but I'm sure if Kennedy was interested there would be fuckall lennon could do about it .

Not that I'm bothered but I'm sure if Kennedy was interested there would be fuckall lennon could do about it .
I'm assuming Lennon has spoken to him about it before he told the press this. Not one I'd go for either.

I still don’t think he wants the job, but clearly enjoyed the win.

I think he’s probably one of those guys that doesn’t want that kind of pressure - I’m sure most of us would like a crack at it as a one off but that continuing stress and abuse attracts a certain kind of person.

Eddie May has no wish to be a manager..he is only filling in till we appoint our new boss which will probably be this week IMO.

For what it's worth I think one or two of the names being quoted are very good options for Hibs. We have to be realistic. Yes, we are one of the biggest clubs in Scotland outside of the Old Firm, and the club infrastructure is excellent. However we can only offer what we can offer in terms of a salary and conditions and that will limit us to only a certain amount of candidates who fulfil what we are looking for. For me we need an experienced manager (preferably scottish or scottish based for me), someone who knows the scottish game well, who has a decent pedigree and has achieved something in the game with previous clubs. We need a proper manager as befits a club of Hibernian's stature in the game...not another rookie, or some obscure coach from down south...an experienced manager who knows what he is doing.

We may end up with someone nobody else has thought about or been suggested, but IMO Jack Ross is the outstanding candidate from the ones who have been listed. Very highly rated in the scottish game, he won Manager of the Year two years ago for the incredible turnaround he achieved at St Mirren. He also turned around Alloa Athletic in the time he was there. So highly rated was he that a huge English club like Sunderland (and they are huge despite the league they are currently in) saw fit to hire him...however he was also being tracked by other big clubs at the time. Like a host of others before him however, he did not last long in the North East. Being scottish he would be on a hiding to nothing anyway if things didn't go to plan down there. They failed to win the play-off at Wembley, so yes you could say he failed in his primary objective of promotion, but he still won more games that he lost albeit I do concede he should have been able to get them up with the budget he had in that league. What has to be taken into account though is just how difficult it is for any successful scottish manager to succeed down south. Derek McIness was deemed a complete flop down south but he for me has been the outstanding scottish manager for the last five years.

No matter who we get he will divide the support...and he will make mistakes. Managers are only human like the rest of us. I just feel Ross appears to me to have all the attributes to make Hibs the club we should be once again. If he achieved this, then yes he would be away after a couple of years or so, but that's where we are in the football food chain. We either lose a good manager to a bigger and wealthier club after 2 or 3 years or we sack them after a year or so. I will support and back whoever we appoint, but Jack Ross looks for me looks to be the most realistic and best option from what seems to be available and given what we can offer.

Last edited:

Don't really think it's up to him tbh.

If Kennedy has ambitions to be a manager I reckon he would jump at the chance, dare I say maybe start acting out of sorts to force a move :gigglle:

The Sun reporting that Hibs are preparing an approach to Celtic for John Kennedy...

If this happens I will get behind the club and Kennedy but it would be clear that they want the "highly rated young coach" model rather than an established manager which for me is not the route we should be going for given what has happened, but let's just see what materialises. Would rather we appointed someone who has actually been a manager.

If we could persuade Neil Warnock, I think that would prove to be brilliant. Deal him in till the end of the year - he's gone on record saying he'd love to manage at Hibs.

If we could persuade Neil Warnock, I think that would prove to be brilliant. Deal him in till the end of the year - he's gone on record saying he'd love to manage at Hibs.

I think he said the gunts were his preference?

Raul Caneda Perez has been interviewed apparently, and has the Pep Guradiola seal of approval...

BBC Gossip

Raul Caneda Perez has been interviewed apparently, and has the Pep Guradiola seal of approval...

BBC Gossip
It says in that article Kennedy is the new favourite for the job.?
It is the BBC.
Not the most reliable of sources.

I think he said the gunts were his preference?

His style of football would suit them better anyway.

Kewell even getting air time is frankly a scandal. I'll happily drive you to Gorgie though.

What about Chris Hughton folks?

In the case of Kennedy, being a fantastic coach doesn’t mean a good manager. He might be though, I don’t really want to throw the dice and hope.

I know coach is the modern term used but coaches still need to “manage“ players do they not?

The usual media circus is in full swing but I still think we need experience and somebody who knows the Scottish game and players.
For these reasons I am leaning towards Ross Jack.

I think his record at Sunderland was pretty decent and he had a great chance of getting them promoted this year imo.

Kewell even getting air time is frankly a scandal. I'll happily drive you to Gorgie though.

What about Chris Hughton folks?

He has already stated in the press that he wants another EPL club.

Screenshot_20191113-204105_Twitter.jpg

This thread has been viewed 18623 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£100.75
Back