What would you pay for a book?

Administrator
Private Member
Player Sponsor
Gray Boot Sponsor
Jul 17, 2003
Muir of Houston
www.hibeesbounce.com
I prefer a book to Kindle or other electronic gubbins. I am an avid reader and tend to buy mine through eBay and Amazon, usually second hand. I have noted prices going up for paper based books, what do others think is a reasonable price to pay for book, say within six months of its release?

aggie

Justified Radge
Radge Donator
Private Member
Registered
Lewis Flag Donator
Monthly Radge
Dec 30, 2006
Montrose Terrace Massive
I buy a lot of books, and don’t have a Kindle so always but physical books through Amazon.

Very rarely buy books that recently published, though.

However, second-hand paperbacks I usually pay somewhere between 3 and 8 quid (inc postage).

Second hand academic books, usually between about 8 and 20 (they are a rip off wherever you buy them).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Purple & Green

Radge McRadge
Administrator
Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Player Sponsor
Jun 27, 2002
Gourock
www.hibeesbounce.com
£5

Administrator
Private Member
Player Sponsor
Gray Boot Sponsor
Jul 17, 2003
Muir of Houston
www.hibeesbounce.com
Responses so far suggest I am in the right area. Some of the plus postage prices are mental.

SuperTortolano

Private Member
Registered
Jul 21, 2008
Murica
I'd say about £8 quid. I was in the buying and selling books business about 8 years ago. Sold them on Amazon before the boom of the kindle and ebooks. Still remember the book I paid $2 for and sold for $950. Margin of Safety.

Bofahibee

Flag Owner
Private Member
Registered
Lewis Flag Donator
Gray Boot Sponsor
Nov 15, 2012
South
Forgot to answer the question - 5 to 10 quid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moathibby

Private Member
Registered
Mar 20, 2007
edinburgh
I usually go to Waterstones £5-£20.

Chester Perry

Private Member
Registered
Aug 28, 2002
10 quid, unless it's an important book by a fav author then I'll pay 20-25 for hardback.

Kenny

Private Member
Registered
Lewis Flag Donator
Feb 8, 2003
Glasgow
www.fairlyoriginal.com
I prefer a book to Kindle or other electronic gubbins. I am an avid reader and tend to buy mine through eBay and Amazon, usually second hand. I have noted prices going up for paper based books, what do others think is a reasonable price to pay for book, say within six months of its release?
I use the library - glasgow's is really good - online reservations pick up from any branch...new releases available to pre-order

now to be fair the new releases are busy and only have a 2 week loan.

i use it more to cut down on clutter in the house

Chris G Whyte

Radge Donator
Registered
Jan 16, 2008
The Netherlands
www.twitter.com
I usually go to Waterstones £5-£20.
Please keep doing so.

I NEVER buy from Amazon, and will always order something I want from my local bookstore (wherever I am). I can wait the extra couple of days, and don't mind the slightly higher price I might end up paying. That's the cost of keeping social hubs like bookstores in business.

But to answer the question:

Anything from a fiver to around ninety quid, if it's something rare and I really want it.

HibeeZab

Rock n' Roll Radge
Private Member
Registered
Gray Boot Sponsor
Oct 2, 2006
Edinburgh
I’m a big fan on a lot of technology, but I still buy books in Waterstones. There’s something about physically holding the book and turning the pages that helps me really immerse myself in the book. Usually get most new releases for £10.

Administrator
Private Member
Player Sponsor
Gray Boot Sponsor
Jul 17, 2003
Muir of Houston
www.hibeesbounce.com
I’m a big fan on a lot of technology, but I still buy books in Waterstones. There’s something about physically holding the book and turning the pages that helps me really immerse myself in the book. Usually get most new releases for £10.
Thanks all. I asked as I always read Irvine when on my hols and noted his full price hard back was £14 in Waterstones! I got it on ebay for a tenner in the end.