• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

We've got to chase second.

moathibby

Private Member
Reaction score
Celtic are pish.

Just not consistent or ruthless enough.

Not happening

we can win a trophy though

that’s more important IMO

I think we can do it if we just have enough self belief.

Lifting league cup and hearts losing today will at least make up for our semi final disaster, can’t see us getting 2nd

Lifting league cup and hearts losing today will at least make up for our semi final disaster, can’t see us getting 2nd

It will

Lets do it

The lack of depth in our squad will mean at best we will be a challenger for third with Aberdeen. That's nobody's fault. We are having to operate with a small squad for financial reasons. It has meant young players getting a better chance which is a good thing. I see us bringing in a couple of players in January probably loan deals, with a couple going out..

Celtic are having a poor season by their standards, and they are too far behind the huns to get ten in a row now. They do have however a significantly stronger squad than we have and will be able to strengthen properly in January if need be. They will finish well clear of whoever is in third place though, with or without Lennon.

It's unlikely, but that will be more to do with what Celtic do in January than how we compete.

I just want us to keep up this habit of not losing and bringing in that wee bit extra in Jan to turn a few of these draws into wins.

There is absolutely no shame in trying to compete with Aberdeen this season, they have built up a great squad by virtue of finishing in the top three season after season. We have not had that advantage.

We have needed another striking option from the bench for the past 4-5 seasons. It was Oli Shaw and now Gullan. The boys up front need to know that there's a decent option waiting to jump in if they aren't doing the business. Let's be honest, neither Doidge or Nisbit are worried about losing there place to Gullan. Need that bit quality that can come off the bench when defender's are tired and add goals.

Celtic are pish.

If we had won against St Johnstone and Celtic we would have created a nice gap between us but as we didn’t Aberdeen have taken over us and have a game in hand over us, as @SuperTortolano said we haven’t been ruthless and not talking our chances.

We don’t win enough games at Easter Road to realistically get 2nd. 3rd is going to be a tough task as well unless we up the home form.

We should have been going into January above Celtic.If we could sort out our home form we could be there or there about.I think 3rd is well possible I don't think Aberdeen are that great shakes either.We have to keep going for it until it is impossible.There is no reason why Lennon can pull his team around and if he gets the boot it could be worse for them.

Celtic are pish.
We couldn't even put Dundee Utd away despite battering them for most of the game. You're dreaming if you think we can aim for second. We'll be lucky to still be aiming for third in a few weeks time if we don't buck our ideas up

That was fine margins,a few shots placed better and we were home and dry.

We couldn't even put Dundee Utd away despite battering them for most of the game. You're dreaming if you think we can aim for second. We'll be lucky to still be aiming for third in a few weeks time if we don't buck our ideas up
It’s a rare event for any team to split the Old Bigots and even with Lennon arsing about it will be extremely unlikely to happen.
Hibs are in a group of teams who all will feel 3rd is a more achievable target.
That’s not ‘lacking ambition’ it’s just a realistic assessment.
Aim for 2nd by all means, but let’s not get our panties in an uproar if we only get a miserable 3rd or a pish poor 4th.

Given the start to the season we’ve made, our targets should be:
Challenge for 3rd
Win the League Cup
Reach at least the semi final of the Scottish Cup.

To do that I think we need to make two quality signings in January - a centre half and a goalscorer. Everyone will have their opinions on who to sign in January but the reality is it’s not the best window to be making major changes so I’d rather Hibs focused on two key additions.

We are extremely light at centre half and an injury to either Hanlon or Porteous and we are fucked, so that has to be a priority.

As many have said on this thread, we are not ruthless enough. We create chances, plenty chances, which suggests to me our midfielders are doing their part. But we don’t take enough chances, simple as that. We need someone who is a bit of a poacher, who only needs one chance to score.

I dont think we will finish second as I think Jack is getting more or less the most out of this squad of players atm . Its far from the most talented bunch we've seen but they are honest, work for each other and if anything are too modest..a touch more arrogance in the right circumstances wouldnt go a miss. I think we will improve if we can get a period of stability with the manager and the staff behind the scenes. Its not going to be a quick fix tho, steady improvement over 2 or 3 years is how I see it panning out. While it gives us a solid foundation it is frustrating in some ways as looking at Aberdeen and Celtic I dont think they are nearly as strong as they have been in previous seasons so that 2nd place challenge would be more attainable if we had the finances to fund a few strong first team starters.

We're a decent Cup side...I'll be very disappointed if we dont take advantage of how the Betfred has panned out for us. Thats where a little arrogance would be a help channeled in the right way...the players puff out their chests say we're the best team left in this and go and prove it rather than worry about the opposite happening. It would be a great boost for the club and the manager and breed confidence for the rest of the season (if it goes ahead and finishes given the current covid situation).

Last edited:
Challenge for 3rd
Win the League Cup

To do that I think we need to make two quality signings in January - a centre half and a goalscorer. Everyone will have their opinions on who to sign in January but the reality is it’s not the best window to be making major changes so I’d rather Hibs focused on two key additions.

We are extremely light at centre half and an injury to either Hanlon or Porteous and we are fucked, so that has to be a priority.

As many have said on this thread, we are not ruthless enough. We create chances, plenty chances, which suggests to me our midfielders are doing their part. But we don’t take enough chances, simple as that. We need someone who is a bit of a poacher, who only needs one chance to score.
A Jason .

Reactions: Zab
League cup win and finishing third would be huge. Gets us a bye in europe and brings some extra cash in. I want to see us take europe seriously and be prepared for it.

Celtic are pish.
I agree they are poor and lucky to have won the cup on Sunday ( very glad they did ) - Aberdeen go to a poor Killie and win 2-0 , we play at home to DU and concede a very late equaliser ( having missed chance after chance during the 90 minutes.
I just hope we can take 3 points tomorrow against St M - who will come to ER full of confidence.

Challenge for 3rd
Win the League Cup

Agree - especially the centre half bit. Think it would be very hard to find an available goalscorer in January unless it’s a loaner from some big club who have a great youngster on their books that they want to get some first team experience.

Positions are dependent on other teams. I’d suggest we target a points total: beating the 67 points we got in 2018.

To get 2nd or 3rd place would be a tremendous achievement. To do so we need results against the teams above us as well as below us.
4 games played against the teams above us so far, 2 points gained. We did not turn up against the sheep in either game, especially at their place. (Edit - 5 games played - Thanks M)

January? A CH and also a seasoned striker to come off the bench. Scotty may be back before the last few games of the season as well.

Cups? Good chance to win the league cup and at least one Hampden visit in the Scottish.

League? Put simply, we need to beat Celtc and the Sheep to finish higher than 4th.

Last edited:
To get 2nd or 3rd place would be a tremendous achievement. To do so we need results against the teams above us as well as below us.
4 games played against the teams above us so far, 2 points gained. We did not turn up against the sheep in either game, especially at their place.

January? A CH and also a seasoned striker to come off the bench. Scotty may be back before the last few games of the season as well.

Cups? Good chance to win the league cup and at least one Hampden visit in the Scottish.

League? Put simply, we need to beat Celtc and the Sheep to finish higher than 4th.

5, Celtc beat us early in the season 3 0.

Reactions: NGP
5, Celtc beat us early in the season 3 0.
Oops. Edited.

That was fine margins,a few shots placed better and we were home and dry.
Exactly my point. A more clinical team would have scored another couple at least. We didn't. Don't get me wrong I think we're having a decent enough season but you're dreaming if you think we can get 2nd spot.

Exactly my point. A more clinical team would have scored another couple at least. We didn't. Don't get me wrong I think we're having a decent enough season but you're dreaming if you think we can get 2nd spot.
I think we may have to settle for 4th. :(

Chasing second and getting there are two entirely different propositions.You don't get if you don't try.

Chasing second and getting there are two entirely different propositions.You don't get if you don't try.
I'm not arguing with that Moaty. All I'm saying is it would be fruitless unless we up our game against teams we should be beating.

I'm not arguing with that Moaty. All I'm saying is it would be fruitless unless we up our game against teams we should be beating.

I’d say in the main we have been beating the teams we should be - what’s let us down is not getting any big results. Had we held on against Celtic at Easter Road, and not thrown away the two games against Aberdeen, we’d be clear in second right now.

Challenge for 3rd
Win the League Cup

I was hoping to bring players in that are better than Hanlon and Doidge not just to make up numbers. Do that and we'd be very competitive.

I’d say in the main we have been beating the teams we should be - what’s let us down is not getting any big results. Had we held on against Celtic at Easter Road, and not thrown away the two games against Aberdeen, we’d be clear in second right now.
But it could be because the side have the same mindset as most of us here.'We're only good enough for third,probably 4th'.

I was hoping to bring players in that are better than Hanlon and Doidge not just to make up numbers. Do that and we'd be very competitive.

Easier said than done in a January window, but I agree we should be looking at players who can challenge for first team places not simply make up the numbers.

Easier said than done in a January window, but I agree we should be looking at players who can challenge for first team places not simply make up the numbers.

Aye yer right there.

But it could be because the side have the same mindset as most of us here.'We're only good enough for third,probably 4th'.
I'm wi' you Moaty, we shouldnae set a target we should be aiming tae finish as high as possible. Huns probably out of range but the soapys are catchable. If you you aim to finish 3rd or 4th then we wont finish any higher than 3rd or 4th

Sitting third after half a league season. Not bad at all.

Aberdeen's game in hand is Celtic at Parkhead.

I would happily take 4th and a trophy. 3rd is the icing on the cake.

Christmas half term report Played 19 drew 6 lost 3.
Fuckin fantastic effort Hibs.

And only managed a draw against Dundee Utd whom we should have thrashed. Things like that are the reason challenging for second is a pipe dream. We've had a good season so far but 6 draws and 3 losses aren't 2nd place material.

And only managed a draw against Dundee Utd whom we should have thrashed. Things like that are the reason challenging for second is a pipe dream. We've had a good season so far but 6 draws and 3 losses aren't 2nd place material.

I agree and don’t think we’ll finish 2nd, or even come close to doing so. 3rd is realistic and has to be the aim.

A big part of why we are sitting 3rd right now is because we’re picking up the points we typically don’t, in the games we believe we should. 3rd will be a close run race, unless either us or Aberdeen fall away badly.

The standard of player would need to drastically change if we were going for 2nd or beyond. We're far too wasteful in front of goal. We'd need to improve in every area to achieve this from front to back. We could easily be 12-15 points better off than we are right now.

Hibs have still done really well, we only had 9 wins in March at the end of the last campaign. We are currently sitting on 10 wins before the halfway point with 8 or 9 cleansheets which is an incredible stat really.

This thread has been viewed 4924 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£100.75
Back