• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

Wages

onlooker

New radge
Reaction score
Can't compete with the dons

Can't compete with the dons

I always have a wee chuckle when that line gets trotted out and it turns out the nearest we ever got to them was a message board rumour.

Can't help feeling a sense of deja vu here ;-)

i would imagine our wage bill and aberdeens will be pretty similar

just aberdeen are making better use of their budget than us

fenlon blew our budget , then petrie had to pay for the managment team

we have a team full of fenlon duds to empty before we can 'compete' with aberdeen in the transfer market

Has something happened the day to bring this up again?

Rooney Sheepy.

Rooney Sheepy.

Were we even in for him? :dunno:.

Were we even in for him? :dunno:.

Not as far as I know.

Not as far as I know.

I often wonder if every scottish team shares a scout all the teams seem to go for the same targets.

Hope he turns out to be crap

The Dons are fast becoming the new Hearts give them enough rope.....

Not as far as I know.

Thought as much. We're short of defenders and folk are freaking out over a striker who as far as I know, was only offered to us through his agent. :doh

Not as far as I know.

Official Oldham Athletic Site said:
The 25-year-old had also been a target for his former Inverness boss Terry Butcher, now at Hibernian, but the Easter Road outfit weren't able to fund a move.

Then again, the editor may just have re-reworded information from the news!

He could be an excellent signing for Aberdeen, but I would be more disappointed if we signed Rooney; we have far more pressing positions to strengthen and I think our lack of goals is down to our support of the strikers rather than the strikers themselves.

I have faith in Heffernan & Collins, I just think that they need the right players on the wing.

There's a difference between can't and won't.
Perhaps the management don't think he's worth paying stupid wages for, if they were even interested that is.
Hobonomics.

Enlighten me to how many teams out with Celtic have spent 200,000 on a player recently? :coffee:

Without knowing the ins and outs if whether we were outbid or not, what frustrates me the most is that Aberdeen seem to be in the position (all be it not financially) I'd hoped that we would be in now.

Remember all those years of being patient and watching our players being sold for top dollar?

I think we all hoped and believed that when the chickens came home to roost for some clubs who didn't look after their finances (We all know who they are), that we would be best placed to take advantage.

Unfortunately we're not. That smarts a bit.

Without knowing the ins and outs if whether we were outbid or not, what frustrates me the most is that Aberdeen seem to be in the position (all be it not financially) I'd hoped that we would be in now.

Remember all those years of being patient and watching our players being sold for top dollar?

I think we all hoped and believed that when the chickens came home to roost for some clubs who didn't look after their finances (We all know who they are), that we would be best placed to take advantage.

This.

Whatever the reason/excuse.

This.

Whatever the reason/excuse.

I think the reasons are wide, varied and open to debate, but you do have to wonder if we are missing the only opportunity we were ever likely to have.

Spot on.

Enlighten me to how many teams out with Celtic have spent 200,000 on a player recently? :coffee:

None

Us included I keep hearing?

Yeah me too

I'm just going by what was reported at the time. Fact is we are not a cheap club, who pay a pittance. I also heard we offered Wolves 400,000 for Griffiths, and were knocked back.

Aberdeen are spending money they haven't got...they will pay the consequences for that eventually as every team does who goes down that road. Shirley that lesson has been learnt by now ?

Hibs spent a lot of money last summer recruiting a bunch of players for this season for the previous manager...then we had to shell out more money again when said manager left/was sacked to get Butcher, Malpas and Marsellas. Our crowds have been so-so and we have not sold anyone for a transfer fee. With all that in mind, January was always going to be a very tough month for Hibs to recruit new players, a blind man could see this. I suspect we will get perhaps a couple of loan deals and maybe one permanent deal to see us through the season. Hibs do spend money on players, quite a lot of money actually...and we can compete with Aberdeen, it's just that they have been going a bit mental financially up there over the last year or so. It would have been good to get Adam Rooney in as he is a proven SPFL goalscorer, but he is very similar in style to Collins. We need pace and creativity in our team all over the park, and hopefully we will get that soon.

The summer is when the Butcher Hibs team will start to take shape...it was always going to be the case.

Last edited:

I keep hearing this too so for people in the know what did we pay for Collins

I keep hearing this too so for people in the know what did we pay for Collins

170k paid in 3 installments

Name me one outwith Celtc?

Aberdeen are spending money they haven't got...they will pay the consequences for that eventually as every team does who goes down that road. Shirley that lesson has been learnt by now ?

Hibs spent a lot of money last summer recruiting a bunch of players for this season for the previous manager...then we had to shell out more money again when said manager left/was sacked to get Butcher, Malpas and Marsellas. Our crowds have been so-so and we have not sold anyone for a transfer fee. With all that in mind, January was always going to be a very tough month for Hibs to recruit new players, a blind man could see this. I suspect we will get perhaps a couple of loan deals and maybe one permanent deal to see us through the season. Hibs do spend money on players, quite a lot of money actually...and we can compete with Aberdeen, it's just that they have been going a bit mental financially up there over the last year or so. It would have been good to get Adam Rooney in as he is a proven SPFL goalscorer, but he is very similar in style to Collins. We need pace and creativity in our team all over the park, and hopefully we will get that soon.

The summer is when the Butcher Hibs team will start to take shape...it was always going to be the case.

I dont actually think that is the case regarding Ehberdeen while they arent making much effort to clear their debt that's for sure what they seem to be doing is spending money in advance as they are very confident of their final league position and next years season tickets.:dunno:

2nd or 3rd in the SPFL gets you 1.7m to 1.4m compared to last years 8th where they only received 1.1m. They have also seen their crowds rise by nearly 3,000 hence they will get a boost in next years season ticket sales.

Hibs will outspend every club in the SPFL outwith Celtc and on the whole they will match Ehberdeen as you just have to look at the Turnover and wages and salary of all the other clubs for proof. Hibs problem is image as try as they might they just cant throw away the image of being skinflints raking around the biscuit tin.

They aren't but 'The Dear Leader' doesn't seen capable of communicating this.:tuttut:

Exactly how I feel. We thought being patient would lead to good times but it hasn't worked out that way.

I dont actually think that is the case regarding Ehberdeen while they arent making much effort to clear their debt that's for sure what they seem to be doing is spending money in advance as they are very confident of their final league position and next years season tickets.:dunno:

2nd or 3rd in the SPFL gets you 1.7m to 1.4m compared to last years 8th where they only received 1.1m. They have also seen their crowds rise by nearly 3,000 hence they will get a boost in next years season ticket sales.

Hibs will outspend every club in the SPFL outwith Celtc and on the whole they will match Ehberdeen as you just have to look at the Turnover and wages and salary of all the other clubs for proof. Hibs problem is image as try as they might they just cant throw away the image of being skinflints raking around the biscuit tin.

They aren't but 'The Dear Leader' doesn't seen capable of communicating this.:tuttut:

Not a bad image to have imo, could save us a few bucks in the long run?

This thread has been viewed 3775 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£47.50