• Stay at home. Protect Everyone.

Save Lives, Stay Safe.

Hibs Kids In Hospital - Thank You NHS Shirt Donation

Qries

USA jobless

Davy

get off yer bum an sing radge
Bounce Radge
One thing that struck me was not so much how it jumped, but how it seemed to be around or under one million for years. I mean this is a country with around 330m people. We can easily get one million unemployed with less than 70m.

So how does it work in USA? Do they have more people on the sick? Stricter criteria doe unemployed? More jobs available? Better work ethic?

Two Headed Boy

Bounce Radge
It's a lot easier for companies to hire and fire in the USA so it's a double edged sword. It's easier to get work because companies don't have go through the same red tape but on the other hand you can get your arse canned without any protection from contract law as many are currently finding out.

aggie

Justified Radge
Bounce Radge
They do have a different work ethic, that's for sure. Not so sure I'd say it was better, though, even more so in this day and age.

vasco de gama

Bounce Radge
I’ve no idea how they calculate unemployment figures. I had to sign on for 4 weeks in 2018 when the company I worked for went tits up. I would have got California state specific benefits for up to 6 months. Not sure if after that period I would no longer be counted as unemployed or not?

It is extremely easy to be fired here. Also where I live most jobs do not pay enough to cover the basics of rent and food. That is why so many work 2 or 3 jobs and end up depressed and more likely to snap and end up doing something crazy or they decide to resort to crime or they just give up and live as down and outs. Until recent events there were more homeless people in the US than official unemployed. Statistics are the tool of propagandists.

SuperTortolano

Bounce Radge
I worked for a few companies when I first moved here. Generally you get zero paid holidays for the first year and then one year paid vacation after being in the job for a year. Most families have to pay for health insurance, which eats heavily into a four family unit. I ended up starting my own business and basically do it myself. My work ethic has always been pretty solid, so never had any problem getting hired in. Most factory work, or shop work will have you as a temp for up to a year, before they hire you in. It's definitely a lot different than back home.

Davy

Bounce Radge
I worked for a few companies when I first moved here. Generally you get zero paid holidays for the first year and then one year paid vacation after being in the job for a year. Most families have to pay for health insurance, which eats heavily into a four family unit. I ended up starting my own business and basically do it myself. My work ethic has always been pretty solid, so never had any problem getting hired in. Most factory work, or shop work will have you as a temp for up to a year, before they hire you in. It's definitely a lot different than back home.
Wow..work for a year then get a years paid vacation...sign me up 😁

vasco de gama

Bounce Radge
Does that include independence day etc?
No holidays like that are usually extra. Depends on the employer- none of the big holidays (4th July, Thanksgiving, Labour Day, Christmas Day, New Year) are mandatory. Some companies do give them all off together with a few other ‘bank holidays’ but a lot don’t but might pay you time and a half. I once asked if we got paid overtime and a day in lieu for working a holiday. They had absolutely no comprehension of the concept of a day in lieu.

barney

Atlanta Hibs Radge
Bounce Radge
Not sure about unemployment as I’ve always had a job since I’ve been here.
With regard to vacation time, my company now has a ‘unlimited’ vacation policy.
Take as much time off as you want.
Strangely enough people tend to take less time. When I had a specific number of days I was always sure to use them.
Now I rarely take days off.

Davy

Bounce Radge
Not sure about unemployment as I’ve always had a job since I’ve been here.
With regard to vacation time, my company now has a ‘unlimited’ vacation policy.
Take as much time off as you want.
Strangely enough people tend to take less time. When I had a specific number of days I was always sure to use them.
Now I rarely take days off.
How many of these days would you get paid for in a year Barney?

SuperTortolano

Bounce Radge
Also if your let go from a job, filing for unemployment is difficult. Lot of hoops to try and jump through. Most big places use temp companies to find employees. One of the big ones when I was working was ManPower. Basically you’d sign up for them, and they would find you a job, usually in a factory. Work for a year on close to minimum wage in the hopes the company would hire you in full time. Some companies very rarely hired in as it was cheaper using ManPower and not paying for benefits and such.

Jack

Bounce Radge
Also if your let go from a job, filing for unemployment is difficult. Lot of hoops to try and jump through. Most big places use temp companies to find employees. One of the big ones when I was working was ManPower. Basically you’d sign up for them, and they would find you a job, usually in a factory. Work for a year on close to minimum wage in the hopes the company would hire you in full time. Some companies very rarely hired in as it was cheaper using ManPower and not paying for benefits and such.
That sort if shit is creeping in here too, lots of companies of all types doing it. Even the Civil Service is doing it to a degree!

Visit Frutin Travel Visit Robertsons Garage

Donate

Help The Bounce, Bounce

We are looking for users to donate to reach our shortfall of £100 per month to pay for the server, we realise that users may not be able to with this nasty virus, but if can, it would be very much appriecated ? We have had some cancellations on Direct Debits sadly. If you wish to set up a DD then please do so via the UPGRADES section. Stay Safe, The Bounce.
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£100.00
This donation drive ends in
Visit Frutin Travel Visit Robertsons Garage

The Bounce is 18 Years Old