• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

Underlying health issues

Davy

get off yer bum an sing radge
Private Member
Reaction score
Was reading an interview with a nurse in Italy who said that people are using this term almost as a denial of what is happening, that it won't happen to them. She says that many of the people who are dying had very little in the way of major health issues. Some have early stage type 2 diabetes, or slightly raised blood pressure or cholesterol etc and that we need to get rid of the idea most people who die had major issues

Was reading an interview with a nurse in Italy who said that people are using this term almost as a denial of what is happening, that it won't happen to them. She says that many of the people who are dying had very little in the way of major health issues. Some have early stage type 2 diabetes, or slightly raised blood pressure or cholesterol etc and that we need to get rid of the idea most people who die had major issues

You also managed to find the "story" that China had apartment blocks full of dead bodies that no one was collecting as well as your other "story" about police "welding doors" shut leaving people to die inside.

If you look hard enough you will find any fake news "story" you want as they are all out there.

Try as best as possible to step away from social media a little and listen to real life media briefings from the World Health Organisaton or follow their statistics.

Statistically you are highly unlikely to die of Covid 19 if you are under the age of 60 and the survival rates are very high of 1 in 5 if you are over 80.

Its a brutal disease and "stay at home" is undoubtedly the best messsge but try to get the deaths in perspective and if you have underlying conditions isolate yourself as much as possible.

For example there are 76 deaths in Scotland to date in a country where 30,000 people will always die annually.

View media item 267

Last edited:
Maybe a week or two ago but there have been more than enough reports recently of people of all ages dying and also those who were very fit and active.

The vast majority of people appreciate the severity of this Virus. Hopefully they get the message across to the fukn dafties who are still putting themselves and others at risk.

Thanks amigo.That makes me feel better. I am type 2 diabetes , medicate for that and high blood pressure, plus meds for a stroke .

I ken that folk are utterly concerned, however in my opinion the UK and Scottish Governments have been utterly fucking hopeless

BIG G

Thanks amigo.That makes me feel better. I am type 2 diabetes , medicate for that and high blood pressure, plus meds for a stroke .

I ken that folk are uttetly concerned, however in my opinion the UK and Scottish Governments have been utterly fucking hopeless

BIG G

I get you mate. I am also type 2, underactive thyroid, high cholesterol etc not to mention had issues with liver and kidneys. Was merely putting this up as there seems to be a high stress on very elderly and life threatening underlying issues as if it wont affect people with milder symptoms..but the nurse was saying to get that idea out our heads and take proper precautions.

I think the point about “underlying issues” as a phrase is that it suggests that the person wasn’t ordinarily healthy, and was aware of that they weren’t ordinarily healthy.

From what I can gather there’s numbers racking up where the person who has unfortunately died was considered to be healthy, and was unaware they “had” underlying issues.

You also managed to find the "story" that China had apartment blocks full of dead bodies that no one was collecting as well as your other "story" about police "welding doors" shut leaving people to die inside.

If you look hard enough you will find any fake news "story" you want as they are all out there.

Step away from social media a little and listen to real life media briefings from the World Health Organisaton or follow their statistics.

Statistically you are highly unlikely to die of Covid 19 if you are under the age of 60 and the survival rates are very high of 1 in 5 if you are over 80.

Its a brutal disease and "stay at home" is undoubtedly the best messsge but try to get the deaths in perspective and if you have underlying conditions isolate yourself as much as possible.

For example there are 76 deaths in Scotland to date in a country where 30,000 people will always die annually.

View media item 267

I appreciate the figures and of course agree with you that there is way higher risks..just that those not in the highest levels of vulnerability should not get complacent. As to fake news, the post I made about possible dead bodies in flats was not from any news source I think I explained it was just a friend who during a discussion suggested during lock ins that there could be people who live alone could have died in their flat. Sadly the worst case we have seen so far is the abandoned care homes in Spain where staff left their posts.

As to the locked or sealed doors in china..that may he false I dunno..just the videos on YouTube looked pretty real. But I suppose there is plenty people out there spreading false stories. That said we live in a world where countries like China continually suppress the truth..the internet does have a way of exposing stories others do not want told so it is not always a bad thing. Sometimes in sharing that news it opens it up to scrutiny and can be proved true or false.

Last edited:
What is an underlying health issue? said:
According to the latest government advice, this is the full list of people who are at an increased risk from Covid-19:
  • anyone aged 70 or older (regardless of medical conditions)
  • anyone under 70 with an underlying health condition listed below (ie anyone instructed to get a flu jab as an adult each year on medical grounds):
    • chronic (long-term) respiratory diseases, such as asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), emphysema or bronchitis
    • chronic heart disease, such as heart failure
    • chronic kidney disease
    • chronic liver disease, such as hepatitis
    • chronic neurological conditions, such as Parkinson’s disease, motor neurone disease, multiple sclerosis (MS), a learning disability or cerebral palsy
    • diabetes
    • problems with your spleen – for example, sickle cell disease or if you have had your spleen removed
    • a weakened immune system as the result of conditions such as HIV and AIDS, or medicines such as steroid tablets or chemotherapy
    • being seriously overweight (a body mass index (BMI) of 40 or above)
  • those who are pregnant
I've also seen smokers included on some lists.

I suppose it's much easier to say underlying health issues rather than going through a list like that.

I think the point about “underlying issues” as a phrase is that it suggests that the person wasn’t ordinarily healthy, and was aware of that they weren’t ordinarily healthy.

From what I can gather there’s numbers racking up where the person who has unfortunately died was considered to be healthy, and was unaware they “had” underlying issues.
Indeed, Bobby.
As I've said elsewhere, we've seen super fit footballers and athletes drop dead because they didnt know they had problems.
There will be cases like these during this crisis, too.

I see Eddie Large died in hospital after contracting Covid 19.
A little exploration as to the ins and outs shows he was in hospital with heart failure.
He had a heart transplant about 20 years ago. He was 78.
But he goes down as dying after contracting Covid 19?

I see Eddie Large died in hospital after contracting Covid 19.
A little exploration as to the ins and outs shows he was in hospital with heart failure.
He had a heart transplant about 20 years ago. He was 78.
But he goes down as dying after contracting Covid 19?

To be fair, on the one o' clock news it said that he died from heart failure "with coronavirus" other sites are now spinning it a bit further. Thing is, I don't think many people are arguing that the vast majority of people will be over 70 with some other conditions. However there has been a few who weren't showing symptoms, and yes I know they could or couldn't have, but the thing is would they have died so early in life? Also taking a fair toll on nurses and doctors. Anyway green, where do you stand with what should be getting done? Do you think it is worth the economical collapse, or that we should have a few more businesses open? Or that we are on the right path just now..albeit with quite a few government f/ups which is probably true of almost every government in the world right now

I dont know ,Davy. I'm an ordinary working guy who is doing his best to get through this.
What I am severely pissed off with is couldn't give a shit attitude of Johnson and his seven dwarves.
Safety gear non existent.
Testing non existent.
People dying unnecessarily.
Lies aplenty......but that's a given from the Tories.
As for the economics of it all? These people speak in numbers I cant even write down on paper they're so bloody huge.
And let's be honest, if a government needs a financial collapse for whatever reason, it can make one as and when necessary.
As usual , it will be us the working guys who will suffer in any financial fuck up.

I dont know ,Davy. I'm an ordinary working guy who is doing his best to get through this.
What I am severely pissed off with is couldn't give a shit attitude of Johnson and his seven dwarves.
Safety gear non existent.
Testing non existent.
People dying unnecessarily.
Lies aplenty......but that's a given from the Tories.
As for the economics of it all? These people speak in numbers I cant even write down on paper they're so bloody huge.
And let's be honest, if a government needs a financial collapse for whatever reason, it can make one as and when necessary.
As usual , it will be us the working guys who will suffer in any financial fuck up.

yep, Boris and Trumpet made same mistakes as many of us, including me, and that was to think it will only affect pensioners, so keep working as usual. Difference between us and them is they have experts around them, and the things they say and do matter a heck of a lot more. In hindsight I still wonder if we couldn't have kept going, but put massive restrictions of access to nursing homes and hospitals etc. They knew about China in January or February and may'be should have done that then. Of course there is then the issue that thousands or millions of family members would have thought this an over reaction..the same ones who now feel it should have been done..hindsight is a great thing!

I see you are kinda hinting at the conspiracy theory that the goverment were pretty much skint and so are using this as an excuse. I am not so sure about that, they have thrown a heck of a lot of money at keeping people in jobs, whilst also paying the millions of health workers/domillicary staff/council workers etc while pulling in little taxes or fuel duty..they should make a few quid on the extra tobacco and alcohol taxes this month though. I guess the blame game will come up a lot more in the future. Right now it is about answers to our predicament.

By the way there were 40 people mentioned in today's figures who had no known underlying issues.
As to the figures in general, wonder what it is going to be when people who died in all the nursing and care homes and peoples homes when this is over

Just to put a balance on it my daughter is a sister in Exeter hospital and she says there's no shortage of PPE where she works

Just to put a balance on it my daughter is a sister in Exeter hospital and she says there's no shortage of PPE where she works
Not having a dig, but that's no balance for the hospitals who dont have it.
Christ, this hit the Far East 4 months ago, surely it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect some measure of preparedness?
Basics would've been a start.
Instead , Johnson has been bumbling around like a drunk with a blindfold doing the square root of jack shit.
In isolation due to having 'a mild form ' of the virus.
Fucking arsehole.
His nice easy 'brexit premiership' has turned into his worst nightmare.
And he cant wake up from it.

Tae be fair Johnson isnae the only european leader tae be caught wi' his pants round his ankles. The Italians,spanish,french are a' moaning about a lack of PPE. How many of our hospitals dont have it and why? Apparently its available. I'm sitting on my arse at home on 80% wages my daughter and her partner in Australia are sitting at home wi' fuck all except dole money because their govt isn't paying to stop people being laid off. Johnson is far from perfect but arse that he is he cannae be blamed for all our coronavirus ills. My opinion ad usual

Not having a dig, but that's no balance for the hospitals who dont have it.
Christ, this hit the Far East 4 months ago, surely it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect some measure of preparedness?
Basics would've been a start.
Instead , Johnson has been bumbling around like a drunk with a blindfold doing the square root of jack shit.
In isolation due to having 'a mild form ' of the virus.
Fucking arsehole.
His nice easy 'brexit premiership' has turned into his worst nightmare.
And he cant wake up from it.
My shit objects to being linked in any way to Johnson!

This thread has been viewed 1211 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£100.75
Back