• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

Trivia - Leith Walk

jock3

Private Member
Reaction score
How many Bouncers know why Leith Walk is so called(without Googling)?

I cheated, but, it took 9 years to build the north bridge? Was it the council that built it?

A guess would be because you had to walk it to eh get to Leith?

I am a Leither, born in Sandport Street, near the end of the war. A wonderfully friendly, supportive, neighbourly place, but probably considered sub-standard by today's pc brigade. I have no idea how many times I have walked up and down Leith Walk, mentioned Leith Walk or thought about Leith Walk, but the origins of its name have never crossed my mind. I have always simply accepted it. And so, do tell.

I’ve no idea either, but it’s funny how Leith Walk for most people is from London Road down to the bottom, but in reality it only from Pilrig Street to the bottom.

I’ve no idea either, but it’s funny how Leith Walk for most people is from London Road down to the bottom, but in reality it only from Pilrig Street to the bottom.
Aaah! And the arguments that have ensued over just that misconception. A good and timely reminder.

Aaah! And the arguments that have ensued over just that misconception. A good and timely reminder.
It’s a weird one, I still do it even though I know it’s wrong. If someone asked me where the playhouse was I’d say at the top of Leith Walk even though it isn’t.

Didn't know that! I indeed do that myself.

Me too!
:icon-redface:

It’s a weird one, I still do it even though I know it’s wrong. If someone asked me where the playhouse was I’d say at the top of Leith Walk even though it isn’t.
The playhouse is in Leith St. as far as I'm concerned.

The playhouse is in Leith St. as far as I'm concerned.
It’s actually in Baxter’s Place.

Me too!
:icon-redface:
Everyone does, even people who live there.

And I've done it so often in the past. Many a time I've said to some sweet young lady, "I'll meet you at the Top o' the Walk", and I've been left on my own. Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I always thought it was strange Paolozzi's fit was at the top of the Walk rather than the Fit o' the Walk. Now I find oot that's no even the Top o' the Walk? :stoopid:

800px-Paolozzi_sculpture.jpg

The answer is - many years ago Leith Walk used to be pedestrians only. It was actually called Leith 'Loan', which I think is a Gaelic word.

Easter Road the Eastern Road . A lot of fields. Eastfield, Westfield, Southfield, Northfield. Lots of farming communities outside the Royal Mile.
Just said to my spendid brother in law how a street name can effect your whole life. Both our fathers from Blackfriars Street , Hibs daft. Easter Road is in our souls we are both 65 years young.

BiG GA

I didn't know that either, I've always thought of it as ending at Picardy Place (even though I always knew that Vinyl Villains etc was actually Elm Row). What's the bit from Pilrig Street to Elm Row called?

I didn't know that either, I've always thought of it as ending at Picardy Place (even though I always knew that Vinyl Villains etc was actually Elm Row). What's the bit from Pilrig Street to Elm Row called?
It’s got lots of names and one side is a different name from the other. You’ve got Albert Place, Croal Place, Haddington Place, There’s others, but I can’t remember them all. Shrubhill or Shrub Place might be another one.

Easter Road the Eastern Road . A lot of fields. Eastfield, Westfield, Southfield, Northfield. Lots of farming communities outside the Royal Mile.
Just said to my spendid brother in law how a street name can effect your whole life. Both our fathers from Blackfriars Street , Hibs daft. Easter Road is in our souls we are both 65 years young.

BiG GA
The original plan was to have Wester Road on the other side of Leith Walk, running parallel just like Easter Road. Not sure why it didn't happen.
Never thought why it is called the Walk.

And I've done it so often in the past. Many a time I've said to some sweet young lady, "I'll meet you at the Top o' the Walk", and I've been left on my own. Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Arrange to meet them at Woolies in Princes St,can't go wrong.

The answer is - many years ago Leith Walk used to be pedestrians only. It was actually called Leith 'Loan', which I think is a Gaelic word.
It's known as Leith loan 'cause people fae Leith are always borrowing money.

It’s actually in Baxter’s Place.
Greenside place?

It was right next to the public loo as well - good thinking Moaty.

Greenside place?
Yes you’re right. Baxter’s Place stops at the lane down the side of the Theatre Royal pub.

It was right next to the public loo as well - good thinking Moaty.
Ah, but Woolies wiz "Up the toon," whereas "the Toap o' the Walk" wiz still in God's own country, at least by the reckoning of most folk, although the "Walk" as we have learned from the earlier posts actually stopped at Pilrig, home to the famous "Boundary Bar". Having just read that back, it's little wonder that yours truly had such a hard time romancing the ladies.

Aye, yer right - cos it's always warmer in Woolies!

That's the wonder of Woolies.
:bouncy:

You could romance them with some free picknmix.Not that I would know.

Greenside place?
Right opposite from where the deep sea isnae.

This thread has been viewed 4947 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£47.50
Back