• We have upgraded the theme which will allow us to add a lot of useful add-ones.

You can dismiss this as you would probably be raging if not.
  • Hi there, if you are wanting to register, you will need a registration code. To obtain said code please email hibs@hibeesbounce.com with a brief description of why you want to become part of the bounce. Please also supply us with your IP address Click here if you do not know your IP Thank You. GGTTH

Trivia - Leith Walk

jock3

Radge Donator
Radge Donator
Bounce Radge
Part of Bounce
How many Bouncers know why Leith Walk is so called(without Googling)?

Purple & Green

Radge McRadge
Administrator
Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Player Sponsor
I cheated, but, it took 9 years to build the north bridge? Was it the council that built it?

Administrator
Administrator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Player Sponsor
Gray Boot Sponsor
Part of Bounce
A guess would be because you had to walk it to eh get to Leith?

WJC1848

Bounce Radge
Monthly Radge
Part of Bounce
I am a Leither, born in Sandport Street, near the end of the war. A wonderfully friendly, supportive, neighbourly place, but probably considered sub-standard by today's pc brigade. I have no idea how many times I have walked up and down Leith Walk, mentioned Leith Walk or thought about Leith Walk, but the origins of its name have never crossed my mind. I have always simply accepted it. And so, do tell.

Leith1975

Radge Private Member
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Part of Bounce
I’ve no idea either, but it’s funny how Leith Walk for most people is from London Road down to the bottom, but in reality it only from Pilrig Street to the bottom.

WJC1848

Bounce Radge
Monthly Radge
Part of Bounce
I’ve no idea either, but it’s funny how Leith Walk for most people is from London Road down to the bottom, but in reality it only from Pilrig Street to the bottom.
Aaah! And the arguments that have ensued over just that misconception. A good and timely reminder.

Leith1975

Radge Private Member
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Part of Bounce
Aaah! And the arguments that have ensued over just that misconception. A good and timely reminder.
It’s a weird one, I still do it even though I know it’s wrong. If someone asked me where the playhouse was I’d say at the top of Leith Walk even though it isn’t.

aggie

Justified Radge
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Lewis Flag Donator
Monthly Radge
Didn't know that! I indeed do that myself.

moathibby

Radge Private Member
Private Member
Bounce Radge
It’s a weird one, I still do it even though I know it’s wrong. If someone asked me where the playhouse was I’d say at the top of Leith Walk even though it isn’t.
The playhouse is in Leith St. as far as I'm concerned.

WJC1848

Bounce Radge
Monthly Radge
Part of Bounce
And I've done it so often in the past. Many a time I've said to some sweet young lady, "I'll meet you at the Top o' the Walk", and I've been left on my own. Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

beefy

Easy Now Radge
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Player Sponsor
Ladies Player Sponsor
I always thought it was strange Paolozzi's fit was at the top of the Walk rather than the Fit o' the Walk. Now I find oot that's no even the Top o' the Walk? :stoopid:

jock3

Radge Donator
Radge Donator
Bounce Radge
Part of Bounce
The answer is - many years ago Leith Walk used to be pedestrians only. It was actually called Leith 'Loan', which I think is a Gaelic word.

GORDONSMITH7

**** The Hearts
Administrator
Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Bounce Radge
Player Sponsor
Lewis Flag Donator
Monthly Radge
Ladies Player Sponsor
Gray Boot Sponsor
Easter Road the Eastern Road . A lot of fields. Eastfield, Westfield, Southfield, Northfield. Lots of farming communities outside the Royal Mile.
Just said to my spendid brother in law how a street name can effect your whole life. Both our fathers from Blackfriars Street , Hibs daft. Easter Road is in our souls we are both 65 years young.

BiG GA

Rocky

Radge Donator
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
I didn't know that either, I've always thought of it as ending at Picardy Place (even though I always knew that Vinyl Villains etc was actually Elm Row). What's the bit from Pilrig Street to Elm Row called?

Leith1975

Radge Private Member
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Part of Bounce
I didn't know that either, I've always thought of it as ending at Picardy Place (even though I always knew that Vinyl Villains etc was actually Elm Row). What's the bit from Pilrig Street to Elm Row called?
It’s got lots of names and one side is a different name from the other. You’ve got Albert Place, Croal Place, Haddington Place, There’s others, but I can’t remember them all. Shrubhill or Shrub Place might be another one.

NGP

A message to you, radge
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Easter Road the Eastern Road . A lot of fields. Eastfield, Westfield, Southfield, Northfield. Lots of farming communities outside the Royal Mile.
Just said to my spendid brother in law how a street name can effect your whole life. Both our fathers from Blackfriars Street , Hibs daft. Easter Road is in our souls we are both 65 years young.

BiG GA
The original plan was to have Wester Road on the other side of Leith Walk, running parallel just like Easter Road. Not sure why it didn't happen.
Never thought why it is called the Walk.

moathibby

Radge Private Member
Private Member
Bounce Radge
And I've done it so often in the past. Many a time I've said to some sweet young lady, "I'll meet you at the Top o' the Walk", and I've been left on my own. Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Arrange to meet them at Woolies in Princes St,can't go wrong.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors