Tourist tax (1 Viewer)

SKII

Administrator
Radge Donator
Lewis Flag Donator
Monthly Radge
Reaction score
What are people's thoughts on the proposed tourist tax that the council want to implement in Edinburgh?
I'm in the "Not sure what the fuss is" camp having paid such a tax to a range of councils/governments across the globe. Indeed, in Croatia I've just paid a pound per person per night for the very same.

Anyone got any strong arguments for or against? And, if against, why should Edinburgh be different to any other place doing this?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

southfieldhibby

Private Member
Bounce Radge
Player Sponsor
Lewis Flag Donator
Reaction score
I'm strongly for it. Tourists contribute alot to our economy- possibly too much- but they also use the services too. Bins need emptied, roads, etc.

I've never sold someone a holiday and advised them of a tourist tax only for them to decide to not go on their planned trip.Never.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

SKII

Administrator
Radge Donator
Lewis Flag Donator
Monthly Radge
Reaction score
I'm strongly for it. Tourists contribute alot to our economy- possibly too much- but they also use the services too. Bins need emptied, roads, etc.

I've never sold someone a holiday and advised them of a tourist tax only for them to decide to not go on their planned trip.Never.
See, that's my gut feeling, too.

Next month, those of us who live here will see our lives disrupted massively. Cleansing will focus on the city centre, not residential areas, lots of the local community will not directly engage with the Festival or be interested in it but most will have longer commutes or less clean streets or similar.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Jack

Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Player Sponsor
Monthly Radge
Ladies Player Sponsor
Gray Boot Sponsor
Reaction score
Yup. I've paid enough in my travels. It's about time my fellow travellers chipped in to my home city.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

hibbybilly

radge grandad radge
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Part of Bounce
Reaction score

We pay it in USA, am no sure if it’s payable elsewhere. So aye at least charge the Yanks.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Sir Shrink

Quite a bit past it radge
Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Player Sponsor
Lewis Flag Donator
Monthly Radge
Reaction score
Had to cough up a few quid on my travels; as Southfield points out - a couple of quid extra a night is hardly going to make me cancel.
With a poorly performing pound tourists will flock here because of the cheapness, so hit 'em for a wee extra.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

southfieldhibby

Private Member
Bounce Radge
Player Sponsor
Lewis Flag Donator
Reaction score
Voting today. Expect it'll be passed. Then arsed about and the potential for the funds to be put to good use missed.

Seems they're proposing £2 per room per night, reducing when it's B&B/Hostel. Totally unambitious.

Rate should be £2 per person per night 4/5 star hotels, £1.50 per person per night 3 star and £1 per person per night B&B hostel.

Under the current rate they aim to raise £11/£14 million per year,we should be looking to double that. And at the same time, reduce the number of tourists coming into Edinburgh. There's just too many folk coming to Edinburgh.

The fund will also be used solely on the most popular parts of Edinburgh. So Bruntsfield/Morningside/Old Town/New Town. wft.

Double the rate, ban airbnb, use the money to refund some of the cuts made by this council to deprived areas like WH,Pilton or Magdelene and be bold, ffs.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

hibeesbounceross

Since 1875
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Player Sponsor
Reaction score
For this. Vast majority of places I’ve been to over the past decade charge some form of daily rate. As SH also stated, it’s never resulted in me not going to a destination when I’ve found out there’s a tax. Suspect same will apply to Edinburgh if it’s introduced.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Jack

Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Player Sponsor
Monthly Radge
Ladies Player Sponsor
Gray Boot Sponsor
Reaction score
Voting today. Expect it'll be passed. Then arsed about and the potential for the funds to be put to good use missed.
Have the council got form for mucking things up?

Of course they do. You're absolutely right, sadly.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

moathibby

Private Member
Bounce Radge
Reaction score
Could a charge not be put on campsites, caravans and hostles too?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

numptyploom

Private Member
Bounce Radge
Reaction score
How about a charge for big fat tourists wearing leggings !

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

ThePosterFormerlyKnownAsChavez

Bounce Radge
Part of Bounce
Reaction score
What are people's thoughts on the proposed tourist tax that the council want to implement in Edinburgh?
I'm in the "Not sure what the fuss is" camp having paid such a tax to a range of councils/governments across the globe. Indeed, in Croatia I've just paid a pound per person per night for the very same.

Anyone got any strong arguments for or against? And, if against, why should Edinburgh be different to any other place doing this?
I’d apply it . I spend a lot of the year in the GCC where tourist tax is the norm and nobody really gives a toss .
Edinburgh is I think the second most visited city in the UK because of its various attractions .
Nobody visiting here will bat an eyelid and it will put cash into Edinburgh’s bank .

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

southfieldhibby

Private Member
Bounce Radge
Player Sponsor
Lewis Flag Donator
Reaction score
Indeed. And it appears that regardless to whatever party forms the administration that's the case.
At local level there's really nothing between the parties in Scotland I think. Edinburgh certainly.

I think they're collecting the tax, then giving 25% back to the hoteliers to pay for the operating of it. So £2 a night is actually £1.50.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Bofahibee

Flag Owner
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Lewis Flag Donator
Gray Boot Sponsor
Reaction score
Maybe they could combine Moaty’s post about toilets and reopen the public conveniences then charge tourists to get out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Smurf

Private Member
Bounce Radge
Reaction score
At local level there's really nothing between the parties in Scotland I think. Edinburgh certainly.

I think they're collecting the tax, then giving 25% back to the hoteliers to pay for the operating of it. So £2 a night is actually £1.50.
Apart from their disagreements over independence the war between Labour & the SNP in Scotland is phoney. It's an insult to our intelligence.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Harp and Castle Visit Dumbreck Decorators
Visit robertsons garage Visit Frutin Travel
HELP US BY CLICKING THE ADS