• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

things that nip yer heid in general

Folk who park on pavements. Inconsiderate in the extreme.
Fire yourself up Lochend Avenue! Both sides of the road! Even at the bus stop!I needed to walk out into the middle of the road on sunday so that the bus driver would see me.

Folk in maroon trainers. They look awful and you just know the owner is a bunt.
Folk in maroon anything,all of the sudden it's become a fashionable colour again, and each time I see it I'm thinking'Jambo!' they may not even be in the least bit interested in football but that's what I think.It's worse for me because I care for my mum,and we occasionally make a sojourn to fort kinnaird or somewhere and she enters Marks and Sparks or Primark and she picks out a maroon blouse or something and I'm thinking'noooo!'

Think you're getting your roads mixed up mate. There are cars parked on both sides of Lochend Avenue but they're not on the pavement.
Ok not the avenue sorry, the one with the 15, and 49.Lochend Drive?

That'll be the one. I dread to think what that street would be like for parking if it didn't have wide pavements.

It's a total nightmare. Even with everyone on the pavement.
Folk double parking at the right of way separators etc.
Wacky races at times.

Plus at the top, zebra crossing where the pedestrians appear from behind a hedge is always exciting

That'll be the one. I dread to think what that street would be like for parking if it didn't have wide pavements.
The way you formulate a sentence does indeed betray your subconscious biases. I could have equally correctly - and equally biasedly (??) said:

I dread to think what that street would be like for pedestrians if it didn't have wide pavements.

And 'dread' would suit pedestrians more...

Weeds! and dirty streets in general!Between 1984 and 1991 I was in the cleansing department,I was a Street Orderly Labourer(scaffie).We were taken on with the event that Labour won the Council back from the Tories after several years.
Remember 'Improving Services, Creating Jobs'?Back in the days when a red flag flew over the City Chambers and Labour refused to implement Tory Cuts;I marched with several thousand others in support of Labour's stand.
Anyway back to the job.We were charged with cleaning up streets that hadn't seen a scaffie in several years,dirt was clogging up the gutters and the weeds were up to your knees.We worked in groups of five with an SSV(special street vehicle) basically the wee white vans two brushers,two shovellers and a charge hand.You had about 120 streets to cover in a 4 day week.If you wernae skiving you walked and average of 13 miles a day.Anyway to cut a long story short come around June time,scrapers were issued and you were on weed duty.Come September and you were on leaf duty.
Anaway today,probably due to the Council not fighting the cuts, we are back to the streets being as manky as they were pre 1984.I think it is about 5 years since I saw an SSV and the weeds are terrible.I'm actually ashamed to walk down some areas of Edinburgh these days.You have to phone up and complain to get the streets cleaned.The last time I phoned up I asked to get a stretch of street cleaned on Craigentinny Rd from Craigentinny Ave up to the BoxingClub.I was asked what was the nature of the complaint?I said 'the streets manky' 'but what specifically is the nature of the complaint?'I said 'the street' s a disgrace'I was told 'you can either get the pavement cleaned or the gutter''I said once you've got the gutter cleaned I want to put in another complaint about the pavement''ok your complaint has been noted'.

Folk who park on pavements. Inconsiderate in the extreme.

Made illegal by the Scottish Government today. Brilliant news, delighted.

It is not something daft like it was illegal to drive onto the pavement and illegal to drive off but not park there?

Good move - can think of numerous areas all over the country where this is a problem

All very well making it illegal. There's got to be a will to enforce it.

There will be a complaint, the wardens will come round a week later dishing out tickets. 2 days later it will be back to as it was.

Repeat in a couple of months.

I think the change in the law is good.

I think the litter laws are good but what nips ma heid is smokers flicking their fag ends across the pavement from pub doorways when there's an ashtray at their arse!

The law is good, the implementation is crap!

Looks like I haven't worked out the quote yet :-)

I'll try reply next time!

Dogs and their owners. Where to start? Shitting all over the place, ruining parks for normal people, noisy and generally antisocial, use of terms like “fur baby”, being an actual substitute for having children, use as a weapon, general cruelty, inbreeding. can only think of a few positives really. Big lad near me has a camera set up to catch poopers. He chases them down and makes them go back And clean it up A true modern day hero.

Dogs and their owners. Where to start? Shitting all over the place, ruining parks for normal people, noisy and generally antisocial, use of terms like “fur baby”, being an actual substitute for having children, use as a weapon, general cruelty, inbreeding. can only think of a few positives really. Big lad near me has a camera set up to catch poopers. He chases them down and makes them go back And clean it up A true modern day hero.
:frown-new: We're not all like that. But I get what you mean. I'm the opposite when it comes to my dogs. Anyone I spy not picking up their dog shit gets told, I'm very aware of folk with families in parks and move onto somewhere else if it's crowded. Plenty places near me to trot on to. That dog in The links on Saturday your boys were petting was a prime example. Looked totally mental, no way could the owner ever remotely control it if it went rogue but was probably- probably- fine.

Another major gripe for me- probably the biggest actually- is folk who smash bottles in parks. The number of times my dogs have cut their paws due to that is brutal.Every day during the warmer months I pick up glass. Not so much in the winter when the perpetrators are warm and cosy at home mostly.

One last thing dog/park related that annoys me. Non dog owners who automatically assume you don't pick up your dog shite. In the past I've had 'conversations' with well to do middle class residents of my area who assume ownership of the local amenities like it's their garden.They organise one day a year to do a 'litter pick' and sneer at dog owners, who do their own litter picking every day. Dicks.

Likewise the donut who's coming on to the dual carriageway or motorway thinks that drivers must give way to them!
The bypass at hermiston gate is very bad for that!!

:frown-new: We're not all like that. But I get what you mean. I'm the opposite when it comes to my dogs. Anyone I spy not picking up their dog shit gets told, I'm very aware of folk with families in parks and move onto somewhere else if it's crowded. Plenty places near me to trot on to. That dog in The links on Saturday your boys were petting was a prime example. Looked totally mental, no way could the owner ever remotely control it if it went rogue but was probably- probably- fine.

Another major gripe for me- probably the biggest actually- is folk who smash bottles in parks. The number of times my dogs have cut their paws due to that is brutal.Every day during the warmer months I pick up glass. Not so much in the winter when the perpetrators are warm and cosy at home mostly.

One last thing dog/park related that annoys me. Non dog owners who automatically assume you don't pick up your dog shite. In the past I've had 'conversations' with well to do middle class residents of my area who assume ownership of the local amenities like it's their garden.They organise one day a year to do a 'litter pick' and sneer at dog owners, who do their own litter picking every day. Dicks.

It’s obviously not every dog owner letting their dogs shit everywhere but until those responsible own up, I’ll assume you’re all guilty :icon-wink:

Agree about smashing glass that’s possibly worse than leaving shit in public places.

As a counter to the litter pickers who ‘own’ your local park, I have two small parks close by, both unusable at all times due to the number of dogs off the lead. The owners are by and large pleasant and responsible but the parks are still full of shit and a no go zone for kids.

As previously mentioned dug shite and particularly in Leith (why?!) Lochend up until last year was especially bad, with usually no fewer than 3 dog turds to navigate per street.

Folk (often middle-aged) over-accessorised for recreational cycling / running. Lycra, cycling “team” jerseys, those big fuck off running socks what are they all about, running gloves, running hats (WTF). You’re likely at best negotiating the Edinburgh cycle path, not participating in Le Tour, ya fanny

Folk (often middle-aged) over-accessorised for recreational cycling / running. Lycra, cycling “team” jerseys, those big fuck off running socks what are they all about, running gloves, running hats (WTF). You’re likely at best negotiating the Edinburgh cycle path, not participating in Le Tour, ya fanny

Aye, never wear lycra in town on commutes. If you are cycling more than say, 20 miles then lycra padded shorts come into their own. And the tops help because they've got pockets on the back which are handy. I do take delight in nonchalantly cycling past lycra clad merchants in my troosers tucked into my trainers and a massive rucksack on my bag though.

Ronde- the shop in stockbridge- is ground zero for midlife crisis disposable income mamils. £3/4K bikes, £200 cashmere tops and all the other gubbings. They do a Saturday spin down the coast and always come along Great Junction Street. The abuse they get at the lights beside the kirkgate can be very funny.

1) Folk who say goodnight on social media.
2) Folk who say "oh aye I seen that on facebook" or "did you see such n such on faceebook" in conversation.

As previously mentioned dug shite and particularly in Leith (why?!) Lochend up until last year was especially bad, with usually no fewer than 3 dog turds to navigate per street.

Oh you bitch. I wear my lyrca cycling gear to speeden journeys up instead of flapping about like a washing line, anything over 15mph and yer starting to drag. Cycling Musselburgh to Lochgelly, Fife yesterday would've added 20minutes. It's a windy place these parts.

I get where yer coming from though. I'm not in the bracket you quote as I train and race regionally for a club - No issue with the majority looking the part but dinny fly about streets and cycle paths like it is a foreign classic. You'll find me getting more annoyed at cyclists on commutes than any other 'type of travel'.

Aye, never wear lycra in town on commutes. If you are cycling more than say, 20 miles then lycra padded shorts come into their own. And the tops help because they've got pockets on the back which are handy. I do take delight in nonchalantly cycling past lycra clad merchants in my troosers tucked into my trainers and a massive rucksack on my bag though.

Ronde- the shop in stockbridge- is ground zero for midlife crisis disposable income mamils. £3/4K bikes, £200 cashmere tops and all the other gubbings. They do a Saturday spin down the coast and always come along Great Junction Street. The abuse they get at the lights beside the kirkgate can be very funny.

Ronde is a trap for them but there is more 'closed shop' affluent only clubs oot there btw!

C**** that push in at the front of queues.

Or Koreans.....

Or English public schoolboys with an ingrained sense of entitlement. (Such as the one who incurred my displeasure at Victoria this morning).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isn't it just. You see them all stopping off at the Cafe or hanging around outside bedecked in lycra.

Oi, I sort of resemble this remark! To be fair I used to take the mick out the MAMILs but even on my 8 mile commute the getup makes a huge difference and crucially dries quickly and is odour free so I can wear it on the return leg.
Another thing about becoming a MAMIL is all the things you used to laugh at (Lycra,clippy pedals etc) start making sense. Also you find yourself constantly eyeing up upgrades much to your wife’s disgust

What is MAMIL?

Maybe a man in lycra?

What is MAMIL?

Maybe a man in lycra?

Middle Aged Man in Lycra though your one works too

On that note I should add random unexplained acronyms to the list of pet peeves

Oi, I sort of resemble this remark! To be fair I used to take the mick out the MAMILs but even on my 8 mile commute the getup makes a huge difference and crucially dries quickly and is odour free so I can wear it on the return leg.
Another thing about becoming a MAMIL is all the things you used to laugh at (Lycra,clippy pedals etc) start making sense. Also you find yourself constantly eyeing up upgrades much to your wife’s disgust

I only do Porty-Leith each day, so don't bother with the lycra, just seems excessive. Will wear it if I'm out at the weekend. Same with clip shoes, wear them if I'm going along the coast or whatever, but not to work. Seeing boys- it's usually a bloke- balancing at lights makes me want to push them over. Just unclip ffs!

Know what you mean about upgrading and wifes. I love my bike, it's nothing too fancy, but if I could I'd buy another one. They're like golf clubs, the chances are she'd never even realise if you bought more. If you can hide cash, do it!

Upgrading wife's :sm113:

When I'm driving arse hole cyclists,particularly those riding in packs 3 or 4 wide.No manners,respect for the highway code or other road users.
When I'm on my bike it's arsehole car drivers

This thread has been viewed 8530 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£100.75
Back