• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

The New Ownership

Smurf

Private Member
Reaction score
OK. I too got caught up in all the speculation and the excitement that that generated. It was good to see Sir Tom Farmer and his loyal conduit head off. For a long time I felt that we needed new impetus, ideas and energy from our ownership and executive.

And I also too thought that some investment could further spur on a club that has experienced tremendous growing support since the Scottish Cup win in 2016.

On his unveiling Ron Gordon spoke well. I couldn't quite get just why he had wanted to buy a football club though in Scotland. And after his media appearances, his "Pony up" chat to supporters and his selfie at Wimbledon with Andy Murray he has been gone. Off. Silence.

And more than ever our club appears bereft of leadership. Yesterday I was reading of interesting developments of Hibs giving security to Delaware based owner Bydand Sports in relation to a loan agreement... We've lost 15 players and recruited half that but the budget is spent. Despite John McGinn bonus money. Despite apparently no longer having to pay Sir Tom 500K per year.

Is it just me that is just a wee bit concerned?

OK. I too got caught up in all the speculation and the excitement that that generated. It was good to see Sir Tom Farmer and his loyal conduit head off. For a long time I felt that we needed new impetus, ideas and energy from our ownership and executive.

And I also too thought that some investment could further spur on a club that has experienced tremendous growing support since the Scottish Cup win in 2016.

On his unveiling Ron Gordon spoke well. I couldn't quite get just why he had wanted to buy a football club though in Scotland. And after his media appearances, his "Pony up" chat to supporters and his selfie at Wimbledon with Andy Murray he has been gone. Off. Silence.

And more than ever our club appears bereft of leadership. Yesterday I was reading of interesting developments of Hibs giving security to Delaware based owner Bydand Sports in relation to a loan agreement... We've lost 15 players and recruited half that but the budget is spent. Despite John McGinn bonus money. Despite apparently no longer having to pay Sir Tom 500K per year.

No

It's really starting to annoy me. Not a peep from anyone. About anything.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

It's really starting to annoy me. Not a peep from anyone. About anything.

What are you wanting Beefy mate?

What are you wanting Beefy mate?
Direction and focus for a start. Then a signal of intent and throw in a new paint job and I'll be mildly satisfied. Ta.

Leadership.

It’s business as usual, who should be providing leadership?

I'm sure a great number of Hibbys share the confusion with exactly why Ron chose Hibs. Coming from outside the UK he'd probably never heard of the club before. He may make some kind of profit gradually over time but unless there is continual improvement on the pitch the crowds will drop. Winning the Scottish Cup has shown that success coupled with a good team will increase attendances.

What's concerning is the stale unconvincing performances. Struggling to get past part timers who look fitter than our professionals. Both Leeann and Hecky acknowledged we were too light last season. Our aim was to add more depth and also pace to the squad. In my eyes, we start the season in a similar manner to last. We are still plagued by injuries to key squad members. We still need more firepower as we don't score enough goals. We've signed a winger on loan which seemed to be forced due to squirrels injury. We start the season again with 3 strikers, again with an undercooked laddie (sorry Oli) who to me just doesn't have it. Ideally we need 4 strikers in the squad.

Last edited:
It’s business as usual, who should be providing leadership?

Leeann certainly isn't giving any public leadership.

I'm with @beefy - I'm not so much concerned as I am pissed off.

We've had all the "what"s - 3rd force in Scotland, etc, etc.

What we've not had is the "how"s. How are you going to take us forward from "business as usual"? In what way will it not be "business as usual"? You don't become Scotland's 3rd force by continuing with "business as usual", that much is abundantly clear - the last 20 years is evidence enough.

Because one thing's for sure, you'd be hard pressed to find a more representative example of the kind of "business as usual" that has characterised the last 20 years than fucking asking US to fucking well pay for a bit astroturf and a roof, while watching mediocre players finish 5th-8th or worse.

Fuckin "pony up"??!! Listen Ron, we've all been here for decades fuckin "ponying up", and moreover, we've been doing so for the most part out of yearly wages equivalent to your annual spend on eating out.

So YOU fuckin "pony up". Aye, you've bought the club - but now that's your asset. You're not getting fucking credit for that, any more than I'm gonnae thank my fuckin landlord profusely for owning my flat, and affording me the privilege of paying into his free fuckin pension.

What are you planning to do with the club? Or are you in fact just a landlord? If not, as Smurf rightly asks, well - what the fuck are you doing here?

Seems weird to me that there isn't a bit more obvious impetus. If it was me, even if I was just assessing stuff behind the scenes, I'd be kind of doing it publicly, firing stuff out to the press about how much my people and I were enjoying learning about the Scottish game, the club, how we were finding out as much as we could and then we'll be steaming in with ideas, resources etc etc.

Maybe he's not even doing stuff behind the scenes. It's all a bit odd.

I want to see evidence of why Farmer thought him to be the right person to be trusted with our club.

There’s no quick fix to taking any club in Scottish football to the next level, without throwing money aimlessly at the first team which still guarantees nothing.

I think it’s fair to say we should be heading from Leeann a lot more, she should be explaining why the first team budget is spent rather than our Head Coach.

Random American buys random football club and it's not to make money? Aye right.

Don't trust him personally, and think Farmer made an error in selling to him. Nothing but gut feeling informs this opinion.

Random American buys random football club and it's not to make money? Aye right.

Don't trust him personally, and think Farmer made an error in selling to him. Nothing but gut feeling informs this opinion.

I share your scepticism a bit. The only thing that works against that though is the fact that there's not much money in Scottish football. He's not Abramovich but I doubt the kind of leveraged buyout he could do with Hibs is big enough to interest him - at least I hope so.

I share your scepticism a bit. The only thing that works against that though is the fact that there's not much money in Scottish football. He's not Abramovich but I doubt the kind of leveraged buyout he could do with Hibs is big enough to interest him - at least I hope so.
I'm sure the land would be worth a fair bit more than he paid for the club.

That seems a bit unlikely? Not saying you're wrong as I don't have the numbers but why would the previous owners discount the asset?

Only if planning approval given for house building I reckon.

Me neither and nothing I have seen so far inspires anything other than concern.

That seems a bit unlikely? Not saying you're wrong as I don't have the numbers but why would the previous owners discount the asset?
I hope it's impossible. I'd like to think that some kind of legally binding conditions were put in place to prevent any kind of asset stripping.

Only if planning approval given for house building I reckon.

And in that case there's a 'hope' value which is at least possible to estimate. I don't think that points to him being an asset stripper either - after all, what's more likely, that a random rich guy from the US chances upon a neat but still fairly small (in his terms) property opportunity in Edinburgh? Or that he is broadly who he says he is?

I hope it's impossible. I'd like to think that some kind of legally binding conditions were put in place to prevent any kind of asset stripping.

Absolutely. But as I say above it just seems far fetched to me.

I thought from day one he’s here to make money. I think he’s banking on McGinn being sold for about 50 million and trousering 10 million.

I think there will be a benefit to hibs but I still suspect there’s a land deal or something at Straiton in the offing.

And in that case there's a 'hope' value which is at least possible to estimate. I don't think that points to him being an asset stripper either - after all, what's more likely, that a random rich guy from the US chances upon a neat but still fairly small (in his terms) property opportunity in Edinburgh? Or that he is broadly who he says he is?

I don't go along with the 'asset stripper' story either.
I'm prepared to believe his story - a rich 'well meaning' guy who has a bit of an (unrealistic) notion of being a 'soccer dude' who can use his experience and contacts to bring Hibs on tp greater things.

Time will tell.

Me neither and nothing I have seen so far inspires anything other than concern.
Time to get the “hands of hibs “ T-shirts oot ?

Time to get the “hands of hibs “ T-shirts oot ?

Better getting a Hibs fan to print them rather than a Smellie though.

I don't go along with the 'asset stripper' story either.
I'm prepared to believe his story - a rich 'well meaning' guy who has a bit of an (unrealistic) notion of being a 'soccer dude' who can use his experience and contacts to bring Hibs on tp greater things.

Time will tell.
Time is of the essence IMO

I think there will be a benefit to hibs but I still suspect there’s a land deal or something at Straiton in the offing.

Yeah that's wholly possible. The deal may be made sweeter for him by something annoying that we don't yet know about. I just think it's wildly improbable that he's some sort of vulture capitalist given what I know of him and the relatively small beer we could provide him with.

I thought from day one he’s here to make money. I think he’s banking on McGinn being sold for about 50 million and trousering 10 million.
That's a good point actually. Get his money back that he spent on Hibs plus more.

That's a good point actually. Get his money back that he spent on Hibs plus more.

For some American businessman to have that level of information? I mean just how many opportunities would he need to be looking at? It's possible I guess but I don't feel it's very likely.

Not really up on capital investment etc etc , but any monies the club might get from sell ons etc would inrease the value of the shares of which he only has a certain amount ?, likewise any sale of assets ?

Not really up on capital investment etc etc , but any monies the club might get from sell ons etc would inrease the value of the shares of which he only has a certain amount ?, likewise any sale of assets ?

only if theres a sale , could break his leg next week

Yeah that's wholly possible. The deal may be made sweeter for him by something annoying that we don't yet know about. I just think it's wildly improbable that he's some sort of vulture capitalist given what I know of him and the relatively small beer we could provide him with.
Economies of scale though? He's got a few $ in his pocket but not billions like others. He may well be just a well meaning guy who's looking for something 'fun' ( lol )to occupy some of his time, but it seems weird how and why he's opted to get involved in a random club from a random country.

It will end in tears. Ron the asset stripper I’m sensing. Farmer has literally given his shares away for a business that has assets at £25million and that’s not taking into account player value.

Porteous will go for big money.

This.

It will end in tears. Ron the asset stripper I’m sensing. Farmer has literally given his shares away for a business that has assets at £25million and that’s not taking into account player value.

Porteous will go for big money.

This. Does anyone know how much he bought the club, stadium and HTC for?

Did anyone hear the fairly lengthy interview Ron did with Sportsound a few days after he took the reigns? He was categorically asked if he expected to make money from his acquisition and he answered plainly ‘No’.

He sounded sincere and I’m prepared to take the guy at his word, at least until such time as his actions prove otherwise.

Last edited:

Quite.

It would be quite difficult for Ron to trouser cash from the sale of players.

Did anyone hear the fairly lengthy interview Ron did with Sportsound a few days after he took the reigns? He was categorically asked if he expected to make money from his acquisition and he answered plainly ‘No’.

He sounded sincere and I’m prepared to the guy at his word, at least until such time as his actions prove otherwise.

I'm in this camp too.

But then again I was never in the STF/Rodders stealing money from the club/Ponzi Scheme gang either.

Let's not get too embroiled in conspiracy theories, at least not until there's even a shred of evidence to support them.

I'm in this camp too.

But then again I was never in the STF/Rodders stealing money from the club/Ponzi Scheme gang either.

Let's not get too embroiled in conspiracy theories, at least not until there's even a shred of evidence to support them.

Aye can already see folk starting utter shite with no facts to go on. Talking of stripping assests and straiton it's like I've time travelled back to 2003.

I wanted to see marching bands with a sousaphone player,baton twirlers and cheerleaders and folk coming round selling hotdogs.

This thread has been viewed 8597 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£47.50