• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

The most Underated pop band/artist

Two Headed Boy

Private Member
Reaction score
Conversation that came up tonight

My nom for this has always been Carter USM

The perfect blend of pop and punk but probably too weird to ever be properly cool.

Difficult one, the definition of “underrated” being lack of big commercial success, or critical acclaim? Find it quite quite hard to think of many artists I rate who tick both those boxes.

Would XTC maybe fall into this category? In the words of Billy Brown, strugglin’..

Beta Band.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goodbye Mr McKenzie

Prefab sprout

There is a young hand from glenrothes called sergeant who I thought we're excellent then faded away.

Kyle Falconer ( the view) isnt just a junky Ned fae Dundee, a very talented songwriter and chanter when he wishes.
The vaccines are top notch also.

Prefab sprout

There is a young hand from glenrothes called sergeant who I thought we're excellent then faded away.

Kyle Falconer ( the view) isnt just a junky Ned fae Dundee, a very talented songwriter and chanter when he wishes.
The vaccines are top notch also.

Given it some more thought:
Travis
Extreme
The Cars
Haircut 100
Rancid

Carter USM at the now long gone Livingston Forum is still one off the best gigs ive ever been to

Roots manuva

Given it some more thought:
Travis
Extreme
The Cars
Haircut 100
Rancid
The Cars. Very underrated.

Migos.

Crispy Ambulance,A Certain Ratio,Wolfgang Press.There was a whole heap of bands that I thought were going to be be big but never made it past cult status.Prefab Sprout?I think they got a top 20 hit.Not too shabby.

Scars, win, station 6

Crispy Ambulance,A Certain Ratio,Wolfgang Press.There was a whole heap of bands that I thought were going to be be big but never made it past cult status.Prefab Sprout?I think they got a top 20 hit.Not too shabby.

Went to see A Certain Ratio in Edinburgh last autumn after our 1-0 win in Paisley , was one of the best gigs I saw last year, back again in june

Half Man Half Biscuit

Little man Tate

Went to see A Certain Ratio in Edinburgh last autumn after our 1-0 win in Paisley , was one of the best gigs I saw last year, back again in june

Graham Parker and the rumour.
Saw them twice brilliant.
Think they only had a couple of minor hits. Protection and Local girls.

One of those bands, like the Cars and Joe Jackson that probably made it onto a punks admmited listening list-Graham Parker, that is.Don't Answer Questions was quite big i think?Think I remember one of those Rock College gigs.Mink de Ville comes to mind too.

In one way I quite like that perhaps only me and about 10 thousand others only liked a band.I remember how put out I felt when Simple Minds went huge.To think that I saw them supporting Magazine and my brother interviewed them for a post punk fanzine he was puting out.

In one way I quite like that perhaps only me and about 10 thousand others only liked a band.I remember how put out I felt when Simple Minds went huge.To think that I saw them supporting Magazine and my brother interviewed them for a post punk fanzine he was puting out.

I remember seeing them as Johnny & The Self Abusers right here in Glenrothes many moons ago

I remember seeing them as Johnny & The Self Abusers right here in Glenrothes many moons ago
Glenrothes, nothing to do wi music but was there a bowling alley there called The Alma Bowl?

Glenrothes, nothing to do wi music but was there a bowling alley there called The Alma Bowl?

I always remember it as The Fraser Bowl but I think it was Alma at some point . It was shut for years but reopened a couple of years back

I always remember it as The Fraser Bowl but I think it was Alma at some point . It was shut for years but reopened a couple of years back
Aye it was a lonnnnng time ago.

Aye it was a lonnnnng time ago.

Used to be good upstairs at the weekend in the old days , locally always known as "the bowling alley" regardless of it's official name

Used to be good upstairs at the weekend in the old days , locally always known as "the bowling alley" regardless of it's official name
Ah what's in a name anyway. As long as it was good that's the main thing.
If you're from Fife have you heard of the Half Circle in Burnt island or the Kiunze Neuk in Kinghorn. The Half Circle burnt down probably an insurance job.

Ah what's in a name anyway. As long as it was good that's the main thing.
If you're from Fife have you heard of the Half Circle in Burnt island or the Kiunze Neuk in Kinghorn. The Half Circle burnt down probably an insurance job.

Aye both decent music venues in their time too , you can add Kirkcaldys Dutch Mill to the list too

Aye both decent music venues in their time too , you can add Kirkcaldys Dutch Mill to the list too
Never heard of that one. Only used to travel through to the other ones from Edinburgh cos my mate who I worked beside in Leith shipyard used to live in Burntisland. Had some great nights there back in the late 70s.

Never heard of that one. Only used to travel through to the other ones from Edinburgh cos my mate who I worked beside in Leith shipyard used to live in Burntisland. Had some great nights there back in the late 70s.

The Dutch Mill was just behind Kirkcaldy railway station , theres a Lidl / Aldi there now

Graham Parker and the rumour.
Saw them twice brilliant.
Think they only had a couple of minor hits. Protection and Local girls.
I bought Heat Treatment back in the day.
Listened to it every day for months.
I listened to it last week and got bored witless after half a song.
Funny how someone's taste can change.

I was at that gig, clouds I think.

Google Edinburgh gig archive.

I was at that gig, clouds I think.
Yip clouds.Great gig.One of several punk gigs I went there.

Google Edinburgh gig archive.
Think I've looked it up a few times.Being from the Weedge I must have seen them quite a few times.I remember seeing them in the Gateway Studios doing a TV show.They were introducing new tunes including I Travel.They once did a three day stint up the Nite Club,I went all three nights.

Yeah I've not listened to them in a while but they were good live.

A Captain Ratio inevitably always got compared to Joy Division back in the day but that first (proper) album To Each is one of my all time favourites.

Crispy Ambulance - that’s a blast from the past. Wolfgang Press too - that single Kansas was perfect pop.

I thought The Chameleons never got the recognition they deserved but Its Immaterial.

Used to be a good band from Glenrothes called Veldt named after a Simple Minds song. There was also a 7” EP of four Glenrothes bands - probably still have it somewhere.

Used to be a good band from Glenrothes called Veldt named after a Simple Minds song. There was also a 7” EP of four Glenrothes bands - probably still have it somewhere.

Beat Necessity would be on there I imagine , I know quite a few of those involved .

Beat Nessesity formed in 1979 in Glenrothes, UK.
The original line up was Andrew Meikle, Eddie Farrell and Alistair Sneddon. Practicing in Eddies bedroom they entertained the whole of Pitteucher with original material and a few covers including tracks from the Iggy Pop Idiot album. The longest serving line up was Andrew Meikle, Eddie Farrell, David Robinson, Jim McMinn and Kevin Mullen.
Beat Necessity joined forces with 3 other bands from Glenrothes in 1979 to release a DIY EP on Newtown Products. NTP 1 featured : Crimedesk (Arms Race), Basic Unit (Ladder), Beat Necessity (Just Fine) and Story So Far (Radiated).
Newtown Products released two more. NTP 2 featuring Veldt and Beat Necessity. NTP 3 featuring Beat Necessity.
A fanzine (Intrepid Anorak) was also produced - copies are rare!
The song "Clocks" is performed by Good and Gone featuring Eddie Farrell, Alistair Sneddon and Andrew Loughrey. This featured on the Good and Gone "Methil Box " 12" released in 1987 on Demon Radge, recorded by Lee McPhail and Peter Haig (Pierhouse Studios Edinburgh

Beat Necessity would be on there I imagine , I know quite a few of those involved .

Beat Nessesity formed in 1979 in Glenrothes, UK.
The original line up was Andrew Meikle, Eddie Farrell and Alistair Sneddon. Practicing in Eddies bedroom they entertained the whole of Pitteucher with original material and a few covers including tracks from the Iggy Pop Idiot album. The longest serving line up was Andrew Meikle, Eddie Farrell, David Robinson, Jim McMinn and Kevin Mullen.
Beat Necessity joined forces with 3 other bands from Glenrothes in 1979 to release a DIY EP on Newtown Products. NTP 1 featured : Crimedesk (Arms Race), Basic Unit (Ladder), Beat Necessity (Just Fine) and Story So Far (Radiated).
Newtown Products released two more. NTP 2 featuring Veldt and Beat Necessity. NTP 3 featuring Beat Necessity.
A fanzine (Intrepid Anorak) was also produced - copies are rare!
The song "Clocks" is performed by Good and Gone featuring Eddie Farrell, Alistair Sneddon and Andrew Loughrey. This featured on the Good and Gone "Methil Box " 12" released in 1987 on Demon Radge, recorded by Lee McPhail and Peter Haig (Pierhouse Studios Edinburgh

Yep that’s it. Thinking about it Best Necessity are on one side of the Veldt single. Think I saw them once too though couldn’t be sure. Definitely saw Veldt.

Yep that’s it. Thinking about it Best Necessity are on one side of the Veldt single. Think I saw them once too though couldn’t be sure. Definitely saw Veldt.

Eddie Farrell mentioned there was at school with my wife and was married to Shirley Manson for a while

One of Mutt Lange,the most successful producer ever,few failures

This thread has been viewed 3677 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£47.50
Back