The fascination with MODS & rockers continues 50 years on. (1 Viewer)

S

Sunshine on Leith

Couple of months ago we had this on the BBC - Timeshift Mods, Rockers and Bank Holiday Mayhem... Tonight to coincide with hundreds of Mods making their way to Brighton and the Isle Of Wight for this weekend's bank holiday again the BBC all be it regional are showing another documentary Mods and Rockers Rebooted.

To seek answers, and separate fact from fiction, regarding the hatred between the two, tonight's programme will be narrated by Quadrophenia star Phil Daniels.

Tatie

Hamesick Radge
Radge Donator
Private Member
Monthly Radge
Reaction score
Aberdeen during the week / edinburgh at weekend
Couple of months ago we had this on the BBC - Timeshift Mods, Rockers and Bank Holiday Mayhem... Tonight to coincide with hundreds of Mods making their way to Brighton and the Isle Of Wight for this weekend's bank holiday again the BBC all be it regional are showing another documentary Mods and Rockers Rebooted.

To seek answers, and separate fact from fiction, regarding the hatred between the two, tonight's programme will be narrated by Quadrophenia star Phil Daniels.
sounds a decent watch SOL, and im sure PD will give a fantastic account of the times .
What a pity its not on BBC Scotland.

S

Sunshine on Leith

sounds a decent watch SOL, and im sure PD will give a fantastic account of the times .
What a pity its not on BBC Scotland.
Good mate of mine Paul Anderson who has not long brought out possibly the best book on the subject of mod - Mods The New Religion give's us his insight to the programme too.

I believe it's on Sky channels BBC 961 to 965 and of course will be on the Iplayer for a week.

Tatie

Hamesick Radge
Radge Donator
Private Member
Monthly Radge
Reaction score
Good mate of mine Paul Anderson who has not long brought out possibly the best book on the subject of mod - Mods The New Religion give's us his insight to the programme too.

I believe it's on Sky channels BBC 961 to 965 and of course will be on the Iplayer for a week.
I should get it on BBC downsouth somewhere mate . Also be informative on your mates take of the whole scene.

S

Sunshine on Leith

I should get it on BBC downsouth somewhere mate . Also be informative on your mates take of the whole scene.
I had a recent catch - up and a pint with 'Smiler' only a couple of weeks ago when down in London to see 80's legends The Moment playing the 100 club. He's a top fella and a very passionate Mod.

Tatie

Hamesick Radge
Radge Donator
Private Member
Monthly Radge
Reaction score
I had a recent catch - up and a pint with 'Smiler' only a couple of weeks ago when down in London to see 80's legends The Moment playing the 100 club. He's a top fella and a very passionate Mod.
I got into ska when the 2-tone label started. ( around 79-80 ) , so maybe im a wee shade younger than you. No being cheeky like SOL.
Seen madness, specials , bad manners, selector , body snatchers. The specials at the playhouse were brilliant but, my favs were, THE BEAT . Can't say why , just loved their stuff .
loved all the gear . Harringtons , Sta press . Button doon shirts . Tassled loafers .

COWAN TAILORING sold most o this and also quarter inch braces . Anyway am rambling mate . Could go on all night tbh .

One regret....... Never seeing the jam .
Seen PW but never the jam .
Ta for listening mate .

S

Sunshine on Leith

I got into ska when the 2-tone label started. ( around 79-80 ) , so maybe im a wee shade younger than you. No being cheeky like SOL.
Seen madness, specials , bad manners, selector , body snatchers. The specials at the playhouse were brilliant but, my favs were, THE BEAT . Can't say why , just loved their stuff .
loved all the gear . Harringtons , Sta press . Button doon shirts . Tassled loafers .

COWAN TAILORING sold most o this and also quarter inch braces . Anyway am rambling mate . Could go on all night tbh .

One regret....... Never seeing the jam .
Seen PW but never the jam .
Ta for listening mate .
Must be around the same age mate, i got into the Mod Revival in 79 just before Quadrophenia came out. My first Mod gig was Secret Affair at the Odeon December of the same year and that was me hooked. Saw The Specials at Tiffanys in July 79 but i wasn't a fully pledged mod at that time.

The Chords in 1980 was another great memory as gigs go and i even managed to nick Buddy's drum sticks just before the encore.. We had a blether about that in London a few weeks ago as he's now playing with The Moment. To his credit he remembered the small venue (Herriot Watt Uni) and he also said he remembered shoutin "who's nicked me fucking sticks" although he was probaly being kind. He did give me another set that night for old time sake.

I also had the pleasure of seeing The Jam on four occasions and are still to this day in my top five bands.

Cowan Tailoring at the top of Lothian road was my favourite shop for clothes and even got my first suit there paying it up on the never-never.

I'm still going to lot's of mod events and my favourite in recent years was a huge rally in Rimini at Easter.

Got tickets to see The Who in November and if it's half as good as when i saw them last year doing their Quadrophenia tour i'll be a happy bunny.

I could also go on mate, so no worries on that one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tatie

Hamesick Radge
Radge Donator
Private Member
Monthly Radge
Reaction score
Must be around the same age mate, i got into the Mod Revival in 79 just before Quadrophenia came out. My first Mod gig was Secret Affair at the Odeon December of the same year and that was me hooked. Saw The Specials at Tiffanys in July 79 but i wasn't a fully pledged mod at that time.

The Chords in 1980 was another great memory as gigs go and i even managed to nick Buddy's drum sticks just before the encore.. We had a blether about that in London a few weeks ago as he's now playing with The Moment. To his credit he remembered the small venue (Herriot Watt Uni) and he also said he remembered shoutin "who's nicked me $#@!ing sticks" although he was probaly being kind. He did give me another set that night for old time sake.

I also had the pleasure of seeing The Jam on four occasions and are still to this day in my top five bands.

Cowan Tailoring at the top of Lothian road was my favourite shop for clothes and even got my first suit there paying it up on the never-never.

I'm still going to lot's of mod events and my favourite in recent years was a huge rally in Rimini at Easter.

Got tickets to see The Who in November and if it's half as good as when i saw them last year doing their Quadrophenia tour i'll be a happy bunny.

I could also go on mate, so no worries on that one.
well jealous you seen the jam ( mair than once) , I ok dinny milk it lol

Love tae meet for a beer or ten before a match mate but , think we would miss said match once we got blethering !!

Keep it in mind if you like man .

S

Sunshine on Leith

well jealous you seen the jam ( mair than once) , I ok dinny milk it lol

Love tae meet for a beer or ten before a match mate but , think we would miss said match once we got blethering !!

Keep it in mind if you like man .
Would be a pleasure Tatie, i'm usually in The Iona pre and post match most games.

Stu

Maple Leaf Radge
Radge Donator
Bounce Radge
Reaction score
Website
stuartfrew.wordpress.com
Missed the programme and will catch it on iplayer, looks really interesting.

In general, I sometimes think the perception of that era and concentration is a little too much about the fighting between mods and rockers. As one face said, 'it's not just a beach fight'. Suppose that's understandable though as that's what hit the headlines at the time. There is so much more about mod culture in particular that is more interesting for me though.

Another one that saw The Jam (quite early on). It was an hour's thrash and not much at all between songs but hey, it was The Jam! Very much one of 'my' bands, classic and iconic.

S

Sunshine on Leith

Missed the programme and will catch it on iplayer, looks really interesting.

In general, I sometimes think the perception of that era and concentration is a little too much about the fighting between mods and rockers. As one face said, 'it's not just a beach fight'. Suppose that's understandable though as that's what hit the headlines at the time. There is so much more about mod culture in particular that is more interesting for me though.

Another one that saw The Jam (quite early on). It was an hour's thrash and not much at all between songs but hey, it was The Jam! Very much one of 'my' bands, classic and iconic.
That was the beginning of the end for the original Mods. I've read on many occasions that the Mods Pre Easter bank holiday of 64 were not in any way inclined or interested in with fighting with rockers as there was never any real problems between the two even then the fighting was blown right out of proportion.

After a few minor scuffles due to boredum with it being the coldest Easter on record and everything just about shut in Clacton and even then the term Mods and Rockers hadn't even been invented by the press at that time (Wild One's Invade Seaside) was the headlines that made the front page due to there being nothing else to report that particular weekend.

Those headlines had intrigued a lot of youths and then became the 'second phase mods' that were involved in the beach battles that happened on the Whitsun Hoiday a few weeks later. The rest then became history.

Stu

Maple Leaf Radge
Radge Donator
Bounce Radge
Reaction score
Website
stuartfrew.wordpress.com
That was the beginning of the end for the original Mods. I've read on many occasions that the Mods Pre Easter bank holiday of 64 were not in any way inclined or interested in with fighting with rockers as there was never any real problems between the two even then the fighting was blown right out of proportion.

After a few minor scuffles due to boredum with it being the coldest Easter on record and everything just about shut in Clacton and even then the term Mods and Rockers hadn't even been invented by the press at that time (Wild One's Invade Seaside) was the headlines that made the front page due to there being nothing else to report that particular weekend.

Those headlines had intrigued a lot of youths and then became the 'second phase mods' that were involved in the beach battles that happened on the Whitsun Hoiday a few weeks later. The rest then became history.
Very accurate (as you know) mate. That Easter at Clacton must have been pretty dull, hanging around the town, freezing cold and absolutely nothing to do. Idle hands and all that. There was a lot of bandwagoning after the press had got hold of the 'story' after the early clashes. As you know, mod culture was quite different and elite before all the nonsense and fighting began. I remember as a kid seeing a lot of fighting at all manner of seaside resorts in England. I recall one time witnessing several hundred mods and rockers doing a lot of posturing and yes, fighting in Skegness in Lincolnshire in the sixties and it was all copycat stuff I think after the original skirmishes down south. I suppose it was inevitable.

Funnily enough, my mind doesn't travel straight to the fighting when I think of sixties mod culture (I reckon you'd agree). I think of the early influences of jazz, Italian styling and middle class kids, hence the 'elite' tag. It's all good though and it's certainly all fascinating.

S

Sunshine on Leith

Very accurate (as you know) mate. That Easter at Clacton must have been pretty dull, hanging around the town, freezing cold and absolutely nothing to do. Idle hands and all that. There was a lot of bandwagoning after the press had got hold of the 'story' after the early clashes. As you know, mod culture was quite different and elite before all the nonsense and fighting began. I remember as a kid seeing a lot of fighting at all manner of seaside resorts in England. I recall one time witnessing several hundred mods and rockers doing a lot of posturing and yes, fighting in Skegness in Lincolnshire in the sixties and it was all copycat stuff I think after the original skirmishes down south. I suppose it was inevitable.

Funnily enough, my mind doesn't travel straight to the fighting when I think of sixties mod culture (I reckon you'd agree). I think of the early influences of jazz, Italian styling and middle class kids, hence the 'elite' tag. It's all good though and it's certainly all fascinating.
All very accurate Stu.

What really fascinates me with the Mod culture is that predominantly London working class kids and of course their middle class Jewish counterparts from circa '58 (the Jewish influence) till around '63 took American, Italian and French influnces whether that came from clothes, music, haircuts and even their transport, managed to marry this all together to which they became the essence of cool and in many ways looked and dressed much better and smarter than most of their older generation. I mean, imagine a 16 year old kid working in an office or bank and wearing a suit to measure that was more expensive than what you're boss had on. Now that is class!

The reason i stop at 1963, the second phase of Mods from the middle of '64 started wearing the more casual Mod attire which of course contained the Levis, Fred Perry Polos and of course the iconic Parka - let's face it, you wouldn't want to get your Mohair suit ruined with fighting on the beaches with a bunch of Rockers.

Stu

Maple Leaf Radge
Radge Donator
Bounce Radge
Reaction score
Website
stuartfrew.wordpress.com
All very accurate Stu.

What really fascinates me with the Mod culture is that predominantly London working class kids and of course their middle class Jewish counterparts from circa '58 (the Jewish influence) till around '63 took American, Italian and French influnces whether that came from clothes, music, haircuts and even their transport, managed to marry this all together to which they became the essence of cool and in many ways looked and dressed much better and smarter than most of their older generation. I mean, imagine a 16 year old kid working in an office or bank and wearing a suit to measure that was more expensive than what you're boss had on. Now that is class!

The reason i stop at 1963, the second phase of Mods from the middle of '64 started wearing the more casual Mod attire which of course contained the Levis, Fred Perry Polos and of course the iconic Parka - let's face it, you wouldn't want to get your Mohair suit ruined with fighting on the beaches with a bunch of Rockers.
Yes, the origins you mention barely receive recognition in people's perception of the time now but they are certainly how I understand the movement's true origins. As you say, after that period it was quite a recognisable and distinct second phase - and much more mainstream and 'understandable' (and therefore working class kids could easily emulate the styles). Before that it had been something of a mystery to the rank and file.

Regarding suits, I remember the saying well that you should always spend on a suit what you believed you were worth per week in wages! Those young people certainly did that - and more! Superb.

GORDONSMITH7

**** The Hearts
Administrator
Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Bounce Radge
Player Sponsor
Lewis Flag Donator
Monthly Radge
Ladies Player Sponsor
Gray Boot Sponsor
Reaction score
I love the music of the late 50's Soho Modernists, the smart Italian suited and booted guys of Brioni worn by Miles Davis, ......

[video=youtube;iRdlvzIEz-g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRdlvzIEz-g&index=4&list=PLU8loWIWoQ8DhnUIjhy17ySEf8sykZ0Qv[/video]

BIG G

Administrator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Player Sponsor
Gray Boot Sponsor
Part of Bounce
Reaction score
Website
www.hibeesbounce.com
The reason i stop at 1963/1982, the second phase of Mods from the middle of '64/82 started wearing the more casual Mod attire which of course contained the Levis, Fred Perry/ Lacoste Polos and of course the iconic Parka/ Stone Island - let's face it, you wouldn't want to get your Mohair suit/ Hugo Boss jaiket ruined with fighting on the beaches/ terraces with a bunch of Rockers/ christmas trees.
:wink:

I love your modernism mate!

GORDONSMITH7

**** The Hearts
Administrator
Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Bounce Radge
Player Sponsor
Lewis Flag Donator
Monthly Radge
Ladies Player Sponsor
Gray Boot Sponsor
Reaction score
[video=youtube;DEC8nqT6Rrk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEC8nqT6Rrk[/video]

S

Sunshine on Leith

:wink:

I love your modernism mate!
You've become a bit obsessive with this Mod v Casual connection and yet the two cults are so far apart.

Anything a casual looks remotely like mod with certain dress is because the Casuals have coppied it. That for me is where it ends and have no control over.

I know you tried to make the point of what i was wearing in my Facebook pic lastweek, but i chose not to engage as i have no connection with casuals regardless of what i was wearing.

In otherwards what i was wearing in that particular pic is was what a Mod circa '64 could have been wearing.

S

Sunshine on Leith

Reading up on some articles from the year 1964 regarding Mods & Rockers, After Clacton in Easter of that year where the was only around a couple of hundred or so Mods in town at that time, that figure seemingly moved to over a 1,000 in Brighton a few weeks later during the Whitsun weekend. When the August bank holiday weekend in arrived of the same year, there was over 5,000 reported Mods in Hastings, for which went off without any real trouble and only a few arrests, even though the front page news of the Mirror read the Battle of Hastings.

The papers back then also liked to sensationalize a story.

Harp and Castle Visit Dumbreck Decorators
Visit robertsons garage Visit Frutin Travel