The English language is bringing the world together

Jack

Private Member
Reaction score
Just as well cause us lazy English speakers would be internationally fucked otherwise.

EH17 Jimmy

Just A Radge
Reaction score
Billy mentioned Choried in another thread. A pal of mine worked in the national library and sent me a few pages of a book he was looking at.

Chorie, radge, chourie, stardy, Mort, gadgie etc etc.

Words used by Scotch gypsys and there Hindu equivalent. Sure the book can be downloaded as a PDF fileCity of Edinburgh-20111222-00356.jpgCity of Edinburgh-20111012-0015s5.jpg

HaarlemShuffler

Coffee Shop Radge
Private Member
Reaction score
Fascinatng stuff. In the early days of t'internet, I found a text-only site with the findings of some PhD student from the 50s or 60s of last century - it was an English linguistics student who published an overview of what they called 'Northumberland Gypsy cant', or thieves' cant, a lingo used by East coast peddlers and romani from NE England up to Edinburgh. Romani oc is from the same language family as Hindu and is also a distant relation to English as an Indo-European language (f.e. raj is related to rex in Latin, meaning king. Regal comes from the same root. These are relatively ancient words and still resemble their equivalents of +/- 2000 years ago, possibly longer.)

I was then astonished to find in the study a lot of the words I had grown up using and that my Mum hated cos Burdiehoose slang as she called it!

chorie steal
yokker big stone
shoatie on lookout
radge guy

...and many others.

Quite a lot more in this document that I have never heard.

So cheers for unearthing that, will chorie it and have a wee keek!

EH17 Jimmy

Just A Radge
Reaction score
You'll know about a canny Annie then? Mates of mine from the other side of Edinburgh never knew what it was.

I love regional dialects. I worked for this wummin who was from Salem but lived and worked here now.

She was a professor of linguistics at Edinburgh uni. She explained her job one day. Very interesting.

Aye our use of cant seems to be mainly east coast and down to Newcastle way.

If you cannae find the PDF pm me an email addy and I'll mail you a copy of the book

Admin
Private Member
Reaction score
I remember reading a book about the King of Gypsies based around Haddington, it went back centuries. Also when I was wee, we lived in Eyemouth and something big was described as a muckle big souster, turns it souster is a romany word for a pot.

EH17 Jimmy

Just A Radge
Reaction score
My ma and dad used the word muckle and i vaguely mind the word souster.

HaarlemShuffler

Coffee Shop Radge
Private Member
Reaction score
Think muckle is Germanic but souster was in the excerpt Jimmy posted?

EH17 Jimmy

Just A Radge
Reaction score
When i lived and worked in Jersey us Edinburgh lads were mates with the Geordies. We could mang away Nae probs

Davy

get off yer bum an sing radge
Private Member
Reaction score
I've tried a few languages but never have anyone to talk with, plus I am a lazy learner. I read Algeria is proposing g teaching English from 9 year old same as what French language is taught just now, much to the annoyance of the French.

Makes life easier for us lazy blokes for sure whilst it seems pointless learning other languages as there too many and they all speak English anyway 😄

HaarlemShuffler

Coffee Shop Radge
Private Member
Reaction score
I've tried a few languages but never have anyone to talk with, plus I am a lazy learner. I read Algeria is proposing g teaching English from 9 year old same as what French language is taught just now, much to the annoyance of the French.

Makes life easier for us lazy blokes for sure whilst it seems pointless learning other languages as there too many and they all speak English anyway 😄
There are exactly enough languages in the world. Languages are like DNA: we have or use them but no individual controls them.

It's also good for your brain (and your general outlook) to speak more than one language, can stave off early onset Alzheimer's (had to think about that name furra second 😳 ) and generally increases communication between both sides of your brain.

But I would say all that, wouldn't I? 😙

HaarlemShuffler

Coffee Shop Radge
Private Member
Reaction score
Probs free courses online for Russian or Ukranian, @Davy , no? You've done the toponomy already 🤭

Davy

Private Member
Reaction score
Probs free courses online for Russian or Ukranian, @Davy , no? You've done the toponomy already 🤭
haha I did try Russian for a while...If anything I remember more French from 1st and 2nd year at high school..but it isn't saying much

Davy

Private Member
Reaction score
There are exactly enough languages in the world. Languages are like DNA: we have or use them but no individual controls them.

It's also good for your brain (and your general outlook) to speak more than one language, can stave off early onset Alzheimer's (had to think about that name furra second 😳 ) and generally increases communication between both sides of your brain.

But I would say all that, wouldn't I? 😙
You're just speaking double Dutch :read:

Green juventine

Private Member
Reaction score
Getting back to Romany language there’s a village about 4miles from me called Yetholm close to the English border king of the gypsies Blyth (surname) was supposed to have stayed there. Every year they have a civic week and a man and woman are picked to officiate the woman is called the Barrie Manashe and the guy is called the Barrie Gadgie.
Coming from Edinburgh I always thought barrie (good) and gadgie (man) were Edinburgh slang cos a lot of people down here apart from Yetholm didn’t understand what barrie meant.

HaarlemShuffler

Coffee Shop Radge
Private Member
Reaction score
Getting back to Romany language there’s a village about 4miles from me called Yetholm close to the English border king of the gypsies Blyth (surname) was supposed to have stayed there. Every year they have a civic week and a man and woman are picked to officiate the woman is called the Barrie Manashe and the guy is called the Barrie Gadgie.
Coming from Edinburgh I always thought barrie (good) and gadgie (man) were Edinburgh slang cos a lot of people down here apart from Yetholm didn’t understand what barrie meant.
Wow, good post. Big tradition, isñ't it, in many border places to have their kings and queens for the year?

I hadn't heard of this one though - must have been a regular stop for the travelling folk. And there you have the 'manashe' that I only saw for the 1st time in the article for 'girl' or 'woman'.

Gueds if I looked online, I could find an equivalent term in Hindi.

At a guess, they were originally some sort of caste untouchables enough of whom eventually said, "sod this for a game of claes pegs, let's fk off tae Europe?"

Doc Shrink

Curmudgeon Radge
Private Member
Reaction score
So the good guy gadgies had feck all to do with the gorgies.

Sounds about right.

HaarlemShuffler

Coffee Shop Radge
Private Member
Reaction score
So the good guy gadgies had feck all to do with the gorgies.

Sounds about right.
It is... but... and I never thought I would ever be writing thus - you (and me and afaik everyone here) are all gorgies too!

Admin
Private Member
Reaction score
It is... but... and I never thought I would ever be writing thus - you (and me and afaik everyone here) are all gorgies too!

How weird is that the puddledrinkers/ gorgies call us a peg sellers.

Want to get rid of the ads?
Click Here

This thread has been viewed 1085 times.

Support the Site!

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£28.75