• We have upgraded the theme which will allow us to add a lot of useful add-ones.

You can dismiss this as you would probably be raging if not.
  • Hi there, if you are wanting to register, you will need a registration code. To obtain said code please email hibs@hibeesbounce.com with a brief description of why you want to become part of the bounce. Please also supply us with your IP address Click here if you do not know your IP Thank You. GGTTH

The Blade Artist - Irvine Welsh

Green Sleeves

Radge Donator
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
For sheer manic energy, crazed imagination and incredible writing City of Bohane by Kevin Barry takes some beating. Set in a dystopian future city in Ireland of 2053 where power and food are in short supply, but gangs aint, its 100% mental. Ultraviolent but beautiful. Couldn't put it down. His language and dialogue is free range, a mix of past, present and future, gangland and gypsy, and reminds me a wee bit of what Burgess did with Clockwork Orange.

Dub

Hibernian, Hibernian Ra Ra Radge
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Lewis Flag Donator
Monthly Radge
For sheer manic energy, crazed imagination and incredible writing City of Bohane by Kevin Barry takes some beating. Set in a dystopian future city in Ireland of 2053 where power and food are in short supply, but gangs aint, its 100% mental. Ultraviolent but beautiful. Couldn't put it down. His language and dialogue is free range, a mix of past, present and future, gangland and gypsy, and reminds me a wee bit of what Burgess did with Clockwork Orange.
That sounds right up my street :thumbgrin

Funkydunc

Radge Donator
Radge Donator
Bounce Radge
I've read a few by Stuart macbride recently, found them quite entertaining. Similar to rebus but set up in ehberdeen and he goes a bit darker than Rankin. In fact probably more like Chris Brookmyre.

blue toon hibby

Hungry Radge
Radge Donator
Bounce Radge
Player Sponsor
Monthly Radge
Or the first Frank Begbie solo novel.

Strange book this. Plot involves our favourite psychopath turn his back on violence, bevy and rage to basically become a new-age, salsa dancing, clean eating calofornian hippy famed for his sculptures.

First couple of chapters are set in his American domestic bliss and I must admit I was worried. Always found Welsh incredibly weak when writing from an American perspective. Fortunately most of book set in familiar Edinburgh as our Franco has to return for a family bereavement.

From then on its as if you're reading an Ian Rankin novel rather than Irvine Welsh with tales of thugs, gangsters and mystery solving.

Begbie's transformation in 6 years to this chilled out zen master is pretty unbelievable at times but if you suspend that disbelief it's an entertaining read full of familiar characters a lot of us have grown up with now.

Not one of his classics but its like War & Peace compared to trash like Sex Lives Of The Siamese Twins he's churned out.

Anyone got any recent recommendations? Any genre but I'm after pretty light reading at the moment.
Will look out for this one - thanks Shaun.

My favourite writer at present is Chris Brookmyre - he's flitting between genres at the moment but all his books have been "unputdownable" to me.

Braehead Cabbage

Baldy radge
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Monthly Radge
Part of Bounce
For me, as a huge fan of King's early stuff, they're always more about something other than the ostensible plot; and usually stuff like growing up, being a teenager, small town life, the advent of modernity. Not read much of his modern stuff, but stuff like Carrie, Salems Lot, The Stand, etc, is brilliant and much undervalued, IMO.
The Stand is brilliant.

- - - Updated - - -

Anything by Sam Bourne/Jonathan Freedland are recommended.

Plasticman

Radge Private Member
Private Member
Bounce Radge
The Stand is brilliant.

- - - Updated - - -

Anything by Sam Bourne/Jonathan Freedland are recommended.
I dont really rad an awful lot of fiction now, but when I did I managed to read a lot of Kings books. They always started brilliantly, great descriptive work but always felt they petered out. However... I thought the full version (he released an abridged version first) of The Stand was fantastic.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors