• Hiya Guest,

You are invited to take part in this seasons Prediction League, where the object of the game is to pick the outcome of all SPL games

Full Details are here. Prediction Pick Em Competition

We also have a Prize 'Pool', with full details here

If you have entered you can dismiss this as you are awesome!

Summary of season finished and what we need for 2019/20; Discuss

Greenmachine

Radge Donator
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Now that we are at the end of a long marathon of a season we can properly assess what we have gone through and where we currently are as a club in the general scheme of things. I have always believed that a club's final league position tells you everything you need to know. Disappointingly we have finished a place below where we finished last season under Lennon and a full 13 points behind the two clubs above us. Yes, there are reasons outwith our control why this has happened which we have debated ad nauseum, but fifth we are and where we deserve to be. This has in reality been quite an achievement from the new management team and the players IMO given the managerial trauma of the mid-season, the talent we lost last summer and in January, and the huge amount of long term injuries we have suffered. Next season though a fifth place finish will not be acceptable for Hibernian. We have to strive to be above Aberdeen, Killie and Gunts..and to be the biggest challengers to the Old Firm. There is no reason why this cannot happen. It will take considerable money to be invested into the squad and I hope this is forthcoming. We have today announced 13 first team players leaving including all the loans going back to their clubs. That's a hell of a lot of replacing to be done. Heckingbottom has a big job on his hands but we have to trust our new boss and get behind him for the big task ahead. Here is where I feel the squad is and what we require for 2019/20. It would be good to get other bouncers views on this.

Goalkeepers; Marciano is the best keeper we have had for years and I hope he is here next season and beyond. Bogdan has gone back to Liverpool but it would be great to have him back to compete with Rocky. Two excellent keepers vying for the gloves. If not then we need a decent back-up keeper signed although Dabrowski is very highly rated.

Defence; Back up to Sir David is required. Three years ago today this man made history and became a club legend. Good to see him signed up long term, but he is injury prone and we need to have proper cover. We are fine at left-back with the ever dependable legend Lewis Stevenson and IMO Sean Mackie will be pushing him all the way. I really rate Sean. Central defence we have the excellent and highly experienced Hanlon and McGregor. Paul hasn't had his best season and I think his injury has affected his game badly. Hopefully a summer break will get him back to the player we all know he is. The highly impressive young captain of the future Ryan Porteous should hopefully be back fully fit, however IMO we need another central defender in. I always believe a club should have four central defenders competing for places in the team.

Midfield; Horgan and Mallan are both very good players and will play a big part next season. Horgan is a fine player but he needs to get fitter, we can't have players knackered and having to come off after 60 to 70 minutes of each game. I do rate him though, a superb attacking player who really should be played as a winger. Stevie Mallan is our top goalscorer and POTY. He needs to add more to his game and he needs to be played further forward where he can hurt teams with his fantastic shooting ability which we saw much of earlier in the season. Fraser Murray will in time be a very good player for us and Hecky has already said he will be a first team squad player next season. We need a defensive midfielder or maybe two brought in to replace Milligan and Bartley who are both big losses. Omeonga has been superb and I hope he is back for next season. Not a great player by any means (he is limited) but what he does he does very well and is needed in any top team. IMO we also need another wide player with pace brought in to compliment Martin Boyle who will make a welcome return next season. We have missed Martin badly this season. Goes without saying Scott Allan will be a huge addition to the squad next season...I just hope we get the Scott Allan we had before and his year off has not affected his overall game too much. We need energy and pace in our midfield next season.

Strikers; Area most in need of proper investment. Hope McNulty is back. He tailed off towards the end of the season IMO for various reasons. He cannot play up front on his own and neither can Kamberi for that matter. He suffered from poor service from midfield and the flanks. He struggled against the better defences in the top six games mainly due to the above. I still rate this guy and think with the right strike partner and much improved service there is a potential 20 goals a season striker there and I hope he is back next season either on loan or permanent. Kamberi has been a big disappointment this season and I wonder if Hecky will hang on to him. He is definately a talent but his attitude has been questionable this season although I think he is another one who has been hampered by injury. Shaw is a dilemma. A decision has to be made soon on his future and if we decide to keep him he will have to work extremely hard to become a first team regular next season. We are in desperate need of a strong striker who can hold the ball up, play with his back to goals and link up with others. We also badly need a striker who is decent in the air because we have not had one for a very long time.

Quite a number or players to recruit IMO, and we have to get it right. The balance in midfield has not been good enough this season. Service to the strikers has been inadequate and we have not kept the ball well enough either. Possession of the ball and being able to keep possession of the ball is so important in the modern game. Get the midfield balance right and get better more street-wise strikers in and we should with a bit of luck have a much better season in 2019/20. Best of luck Paul, Robbie and Graeme.

Last edited:

EastMeetsWest

Radge Private Member
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Player Sponsor
Monthly Radge
Gray Boot Sponsor
Having a keeper waiting in the wings like Bogdan IMO gave rocky a shake and we got some top class performances. We didn't lose many goals but there was still some vulnerability and lack of concentration in defence.

Be interesting to see our new but not so new midfield playing together with the return of Boyle and Allan. Fraser Murray getting more game time can only be a good thing looks a very realistic quality prospect. Omeonga back must be a priority.

Forwards, where to start. Going back to not losing many goals has seen us with a lot of low scoring draws and wins. Could we have finished less than 13 points behind 4th or even claimed Europe spot with 2 up front or an out and out winger rather than flo pushed out left. Most probably but can't have it all ways and at one point making top six seemed a tall ask.

Management: th honeymoon is over and I think given that Hecky came in and had to turn around a team deflated and uninspired he achieved that 100%. We are already seeing the ruthless streak with departures and a no nonsense approach to coming season. How many times have we had a massive overhaul in the summer without much concern. Glad to say Hecky is at the wheel after much doubt on his arrival.

GGTTH

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

aggie

Justified Radge
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Lewis Flag Donator
Monthly Radge
Dare I say it, we could do with a Naismith-type player: will necessarily be at the tail end of their career, but has proven quality, will provide much-needed leadership at the top end of the park, and will get involved with reffing the game for us Scott Brown-style - especially when playing "professional" sides like the Sheep, who got away with murder on Sunday (and countless times previously).

WJC1848

Bounce Radge
Monthly Radge
Part of Bounce
Dare I say it, we could do with a Naismith-type player: will necessarily be at the tail end of their career, but has proven quality, will provide much-needed leadership at the top end of the park, and will get involved with reffing the game for us Scott Brown-style - especially when playing "professional" sides like the Sheep, who got away with murder on Sunday (and countless times previously).
Bang on !!

HenryLB

Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Think that's a good shout. Someone who's in their last few seasons but fancies playing instead of fading on a bench somewhere.

I'd hate to see a Hibs team behave in the way that some of these other sides in the league do - they are cheats, pure and simple, but it's getting so that they have a distinct advantage due to bad refereeing. I especially noticed it on the three or four occasions I was at ER this season. A few exploratory shoves to check they can get away with it, then basically a minor foul almost every time they challenge or come up against one of our players.

I didn't watch this Aberdeen game but in the past I'm sure they used to rotate players to take turns fouling, particularly on SJM. A lot of other teams also seem to almost always bring an opponent down if their player is beaten, rightly assuming that the risk/reward ratio is in favour of doing that.

And as you rightly say the refs are absurdly biddable. I'd prefer we had someone to 'sway' them than join in the cheat-fest.

WJC1848

Bounce Radge
Monthly Radge
Part of Bounce
Think that's a good shout. Someone who's in their last few seasons but fancies playing instead of fading on a bench somewhere.

I'd hate to see a Hibs team behave in the way that some of these other sides in the league do - they are cheats, pure and simple, but it's getting so that they have a distinct advantage due to bad refereeing. I especially noticed it on the three or four occasions I was at ER this season. A few exploratory shoves to check they can get away with it, then basically a minor foul almost every time they challenge or come up against one of our players.

I didn't watch this Aberdeen game but in the past I'm sure they used to rotate players to take turns fouling, particularly on SJM. A lot of other teams also seem to almost always bring an opponent down if their player is beaten, rightly assuming that the risk/reward ratio is in favour of doing that.

And as you rightly say the refs are absurdly biddable. I'd prefer we had someone to 'sway' them than join in the cheat-fest.
And yours is an equally good shout.

Two Headed Boy

Radge Donator
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
I also agree that a Naismith type forward is needed. There has been a lot of poor decision making in the final third for a while now and I think its as much to do with the experience and intelligence of our forwards as it is poor service.

A no nonsense CM that can win the ball and get an attack going would be high on my list too.

Hibs v Gunts

Harp and Castle Visit Dumbreck Decorators
Visit robertsons garage Visit Frutin Travel