So what can you remember from THAT day... (1 Viewer)

Jamie

Staff member
Administrator
Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Player Sponsor
Lewis Flag Donator
Monthly Radge
Ladies Player Sponsor
Gray Boot Sponsor
Part of Bounce
Reaction score
Website
www.hibeesbounce.com
The day we won the Scottish Cup!....

What made it so special for you, anything carried for luck etc?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Chester Perry

Private Member
Bounce Radge
Reaction score
I remember with 15 mins to go trying to work out what bottle of red and pizza I was gonna get to consume after the game, final defeats were the norm. Never did get that pizza.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

aggie

Justified Radge
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Lewis Flag Donator
Monthly Radge
Reaction score
In many ways, I wish I remembered more! I was asleep in Robbie's by about 8.30pm...

I don't really remember SDG's goal at all, if I'm honest - it's a blur. I remember many, many other wee points and moments, but one has always stood out for me:

When the board for 4 mins added time went up.

Well, every time I describe to anyone the roar that went up in our end, I still genuinely choke up. Because for me, it crystallised what it means to be a supporter, and why putting the years in matters. This is not a criticism of anyone, to be clear, but I believe that there were far fewer "day trippers" there that day in May than for the league cup final, and that mattered - and I mean that to distinguish between "ooh, it's a cup final" types, and those who have been invested in Hibs for years but not neccessarily regular attendees. The investment was and is what matters. As a result, I firmly believe we were a tangible part of that win, because I'm utterly convinced that in that moment, in the wake of some hard years and devastating recent results, we absolutely transmitted our own sheer defiance, belief, will, and undying support to the boys on the park, and gave them the extra couple of % they needed. I'm unshakeably sure of it - I remember it so, so clearly. It sounds cheesy, but it was like for a few seconds I felt 25,000+11 connect completely as one will, and go "NO - it HAS to be NOW".

The rest is history :approve:

Reactions: Jamie
REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Sauzee's Teeth

I Was There And Went Radge
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Lewis Flag Donator
Reaction score
In many ways, I wish I remembered more! I was asleep in Robbie's by about 8.30pm...

I don't really remember SDG's goal at all, if I'm honest - it's a blur. I remember many, many other wee points and moments, but one has always stood out for me:

When the board for 4 mins added time went up.

Well, every time I describe to anyone the roar that went up in our end, I still genuinely choke up. Because for me, it crystallised what it means to be a supporter, and why putting the years in matters. This is not a criticism of anyone, to be clear, but I believe that there were far fewer "day trippers" there that day in May than for the league cup final, and that mattered - and I mean that to distinguish between "ooh, it's a cup final" types, and those who have been invested in Hibs for years but not neccessarily regular attendees. The investment was and is what matters. As a result, I firmly believe we were a tangible part of that win, because I'm utterly convinced that in that moment, in the wake of some hard years and devastating recent results, we absolutely transmitted our own sheer defiance, belief, will, and undying support to the boys on the park, and gave them the extra couple of % they needed. I'm unshakeably sure of it - I remember it so, so clearly. It sounds cheesy, but it was like for a few seconds I felt 25,000+11 connect completely as one will, and go "NO - it HAS to be NOW".

The rest is history :approve:
Your memory of when the board went up for the stoppage time is as exactly the same as mine. The roar was INCREDIBLE.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

SlovSam

Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Part of Bounce
Reaction score
Website
www.noteamgb.com
The last 4 minutes were an undescriable heart stopping mess but my vivid memory that I will take to the grave was "Scotlands Shame 2012" being "awarded" the free kick in the very final minute but then why was Liam Henderson running away arms aloft.

For a split second I was utterly confused but it wasnt a free kick but the final whistle which Hendo had realized just ahead of anyone in the ground.

Thereafter I cam still trace every moment of that weekend.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Administrator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Player Sponsor
Gray Boot Sponsor
Part of Bounce
Reaction score
Website
www.hibeesbounce.com
The last 4 minutes were an undescriable heart stopping mess but my vivid memory that I will take to the grave was "Scotlands Shame 2012" being "awarded" the free kick in the very final minute but then why was Liam Henderson running away arms aloft.

For a split second I was utterly confused but it wasnt a free kick but the final whistle which Hendo had realized just ahead of anyone in the ground.

Thereafter I cam still trace every moment of that weekend.
Funny, that is the moment I remember to, and the same one I always look out for in my regular reruns of the match. Liam knew we had won the cup a few milliseconds before the rest of us.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Gareth

Radge Donator
Bounce Radge
Reaction score
There are loads of memories and loads of blank spaces in my mind. The collective cheer Aggie refers to was quite something, especially when allied to the silence from the hun hoards. Never believed in destiny but got very close at that moment. One of my most vivid memories is after the winner a middle aged woman on her own next to us standing quietly with tears rolling down her cheeks as we waited for the final whistle, I've imagined since what her situation was, whether she'd recently lost a loved one and was thinking of them etc, didn't ask though, thought a hug would suffice.
One thing I remember is being quite glad when Zalalem was hooked as thought he seemed to keep them ticking over, though having watched it on the telebox I'm not sure whey I felt that way. Juts a well I don't do just backs.
The Liam Henderson moment I also remember vividly, seeing it on tele since he must see the whistle coming out the pocket but its a phenomenal picture.
My mate and I walked down trough the Gorbals afterwards and I was a bit apprehensive thinking huns would be on the rampage but there was no sign of them anywhere in the centre of glasgow, couple of pints with a mate who was working in town and then on to see the city centre taken over by the original greens.
The next day (sorry to break the rules Aggie) my partner and kids were on the train from Glasgow for the parade and me and mate stoating up London Road only to bump into a suited and booted Lewis Stevenson. All I could manage was 'good night?' and 'thanks'. think i would have been greeting like a bairn if i'd tried to talk to him about the magnitude of what had just happened.
can we do it again?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

GORDONSMITH7

**** The Hearts
Administrator
Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Bounce Radge
Player Sponsor
Lewis Flag Donator
Monthly Radge
Ladies Player Sponsor
Gray Boot Sponsor
Reaction score
My family have supported Hibernian since it's inception. It therefore goes without saying that with the highs and many more lows supporting Hibs, the DNA passed down to us, expects the latter. When Gray scored my first thought was, these fuckers can still equalize. I was with family and the great loyal Groningen St. Patrick's Branch Massive and my two lads were in hospitality with Shaun's wonderful Celtic supporting in-laws. I still find it excruciatingly difficult to rationalize the notion that my boy knew without doubt that this time was the very last time that he could see Hibs win the Scottish Cup. We did.

Shaun and Danny told me a story that exemplifies the rotten SFA . Following the final whistle, tears were flowing in their company including the in- laws, who knew the relevance. As the Hibernian supporters quite rightly celebrated on the park, a booted and suited, SFA tie and badge wearing fuckallster Official who had previously been fawning over the very expensive Corporate guests, ran down to the glass windae and shouted, 'Get off our pitch you Fenian Bastards. Shaun said that if he could have got out his wheelchair he would have knocked the **** out.

After the game the St. Patrick's Branch buses dropped off at London Road. I was a bit flat to be honest. Mixed emotions you can understand. Walked down Easter Road and on to my home by the Links, without a drink stop. Glad to say that my boys were not of such feeble mindedness. When they arrived back in town they went down to Tamsons and got rat arsed. Shaun discarding his Morphine pump for a bevvy. Quality!

Sunday whole family were at the Links. Wonderful.

GGTTH

BIG G

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Two Headed Boy

Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Reaction score
Missing most of the action during the game due to my shite seat

That shite seat allowing me to see SDGs header bulge the net so close to me that I could smell the grass off it.

Being exuberant

[MENTION=12896]Uncy[/MENTION] making some sort "snow angel" motion on the club crest behind the goal

My Rangers in-laws sending me all sorts of texts and FB messages about how we should be ashamed of ourselves...

...Me replying to every single one with a carton of Bitter Orange I found on Google image search.

A tearful wee tadger getting on the train shouting "We are the people" as his embarrassed father scouled at him.

An oddly subdeud train journey back to Edinburgh where everyone was just letting it all sink in

Phoning the missus when said train broke down in Airdrie to admit that I wouldn't be home until Monday.

Leith in absolute party mode that night. Crowds of jubilant hibbys stopping traffic and drinking every place dry.

Prepping myself for the hangover, pints of curer and parade the next day.

One of the best ever.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Duns_Hibby

Private Member
Bounce Radge
Reaction score
For me, oddly, it was the first time I'd ever seen my then 82 year old dad in tears.

He was failing badly but after that wonderful day on the Sunday he said to me he'd been blessed to witness the Five but that this had been his best day supporting the Hibs.

Sadly, he passed three weeks later and I take great comfort that he saw that Cup win. Christ, every year since 1969 I'd heard from him 'I'll never see this lot win the Cup' yet he went back to it every year!!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

sauzee 1875

Bounce Radge
Reaction score
Was my 36th birthday there with son
Never got out my seat for the corner just sat with head in hands, then I heard the roar and knew we had done it.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

GORDONSMITH7

**** The Hearts
Administrator
Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Bounce Radge
Player Sponsor
Lewis Flag Donator
Monthly Radge
Ladies Player Sponsor
Gray Boot Sponsor
Reaction score
for me, oddly, it was the first time i'd ever seen my then 82 year old dad in tears.

He was failing badly but after that wonderful day on the sunday he said to me he'd been blessed to witness the five but that this had been his best day supporting the hibs.

Sadly, he passed three weeks later and i take great comfort that he saw that cup win. Christ, every year since 1969 i'd heard from him 'i'll never see this lot win the cup' yet he went back to it every year!!
xx

BIG G

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

hibby1

Bounce Radge
Reaction score
I only remember 6 main things throughout the whole day

1.Being told at 9:10am that our coach wasn't turning up at the 10am time we agreed upon and having to scramble around our group for folk who were the most sober to drive (I utterly detest and do not condone drink driving but needs must in this very particular case)

2. Getting lost on the way through (the person in the back wasn't the best speller when she put it into google maps)

3. Walking up to the ground with this ridiculous sense of positivity and feeling like it was our day...Then after turning the corner both me and some random hibby slipped down a grass verge with such perfect timing and grace even tandem olympic divers would require years of training to achieve such a feat:laff:.

4. When the 3rd goal went in I just remember grabbing every one within arms length and hugging them and just kind of screaming like a girl in all honesty and being in a frenzy that will never be matched in my lifetime.

5.Despite being quite heavily drunk pre game I walked out of that stadium feeling so unbelievably sober and brimming with adrenaline to the point I had to just stand still for 5 minutes beside one of the burger vans and just soak it in and watch all the happy faces pouring out of hampden.

6.Going to my local boozer (was my girlfriends birthday) and being told by the smug arsehole jambo pub manager that no hibs related songs were being played as it "might cause grief"...then walking up casually to the DJ who didn't have a clue about anything footy related and requesting Freed From Desire, then watching his face sink when the chorus sank in and "STOKESYS ON FIRE" rang out through the pub and it was just party central after that.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

tayside hibee

Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Player Sponsor
Reaction score
as far away fi The Saville Dome as possible
My family have supported Hibernian since it's inception. It therefore goes without saying that with the highs and many more lows supporting Hibs, the DNA passed down to us, expects the latter. When Gray scored my first thought was, these $#@!ers can still equalize. I was with family and the great loyal Groningen St. Patrick's Branch Massive and my two lads were in hospitality with Shaun's wonderful Celtic supporting in-laws. I still find it excruciatingly difficult to rationalize the notion that my boy knew without doubt that this time was the very last time that he could see Hibs win the Scottish Cup. We did.

Shaun and Danny told me a story that exemplifies the rotten SFA . Following the final whistle, tears were flowing in their company including the in- laws, who knew the relevance. As the Hibernian supporters quite rightly celebrated on the park, a booted and suited, SFA tie and badge wearing $#@!allster Official who had previously been fawning over the very expensive Corporate guests, ran down to the glass windae and shouted, 'Get off our pitch you Fenian $#@!s. Shaun said that if he could have got out his wheelchair he would have knocked the **** out.

After the game the St. Patrick's Branch buses dropped off at London Road. I was a bit flat to be honest. Mixed emotions you can understand. Walked down Easter Road and on to my home by the Links, without a drink stop. Glad to say that my boys were not of such feeble mindedness. When they arrived back in town they went down to Tamsons and got rat arsed. Shaun discarding his Morphine pump for a bevvy. Quality!

GGTTH

BIG G
That has got to be the most thought provoking, moving post I have ever read on here. Your strength is mind blowing . I salute you. It also makes that day even more special , knowing Shaun seen and felt it, and his loved ones could steal a bit happiness from dark days.

I went to a long planned manic st preacher gig in Glasgow after the game. By the time I got there , I was blootered , and my 13 year old lad was basically babysitting me. During the concert , while James Bradfield was retuning and it had went quiet , I burst into Hibs song . He looked up wondering what all the fuss was about as a few sevco monkeys took offence. Luckily there was a few Celtic boys around me , who appreciated my efforts and backed me up. How I got back to the hotel in one piece , I'm not sure , but me and the young lad let Glasgow know , who had won the cup that night . It was absoloutley surreal spending that night in Glasgow, but me and my lad were together before , during and after the game , that's all that mattered .
At the game itself, my over ridding memory is full time , and being surrounded by so many other grown men crying . It truly was like a dream. I, and many others thought like our fathers and grandfathers , we were resigned to never seeing this event. But Henderson delivered , did he not .

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Smurf

Private Member
Bounce Radge
Reaction score
My family have supported Hibernian since it's inception. It therefore goes without saying that with the highs and many more lows supporting Hibs, the DNA passed down to us, expects the latter. When Gray scored my first thought was, these $#@!ers can still equalize. I was with family and the great loyal Groningen St. Patrick's Branch Massive and my two lads were in hospitality with Shaun's wonderful Celtic supporting in-laws. I still find it excruciatingly difficult to rationalize the notion that my boy knew without doubt that this time was the very last time that he could see Hibs win the Scottish Cup. We did.

Shaun and Danny told me a story that exemplifies the rotten SFA . Following the final whistle, tears were flowing in their company including the in- laws, who knew the relevance. As the Hibernian supporters quite rightly celebrated on the park, a booted and suited, SFA tie and badge wearing $#@!allster Official who had previously been fawning over the very expensive Corporate guests, ran down to the glass windae and shouted, 'Get off our pitch you Fenian $#@!s. Shaun said that if he could have got out his wheelchair he would have knocked the **** out.

GGTTH

BIG G
Lovely stuff.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Uncy

Private Member
Bounce Radge
Reaction score
Website
www.barrelofmoney.co.uk
All random and off the top of my head, but

Getting same Taxi driver to take me to Leeds station at 6.30 as the Semi Final. I wasn't optimistic given the play-off stuff, but he said not to worry he was a lucky omen. When I got home the following day, there was a note shoved through the letterbox saying simply "told you"

Missing their first equaliser whilst going to the toilet

Coming out of toilet to see ball smacking off the crossbar from Kenny Miller

Silently making a pact with the Football Gods that, if they left me alone today, all the play-off and semi-final defeats they'd inflicted on the Blades over the years, plus 2012 would all be forgotten , all debts paid up and I would never summon them again.

The goal. @twoheadedboy might not have liked our front row seats, but without the net, that ball would have ended up on my lap. Well it would if I'd not have fallen over the row in front and was sat on the floor screaming like a girl.

Seeing Liam running away, knowing the whistle had gone but not being able to hear it over the madness.

The madness, some crying, hugging other people crying, snow angel action, kissing the bit of crossbar that kept Kenny Millers header out.

Cutting back to the train after via Third Lanarks pitch, where I sat distraught in 2012 listening to the roar as the 5th went in, and doing a cathartic charge the length of it.

Getting a call from a mate who was at Headingley, a fellow Blade with love for Hibs, watching test match saying he was on his way up from Leeds to join in the celebrations.

Oh what a night, think the three of us gave up about half two - I'd been up since 5 the previous morning.

Walking up ER after going to the ground towards Middletons and walking straight into Super, Liam, SDG and Keats on their way to the ground. Hugged and thanked them (think the accent threw them a bit) before timing movement between pubs wrong and getting drenched.

Robbies, more madness, more tears, more hugs, more whisky. Lots of "I love you mate" stuff with THB, bottle of Champers and train home.

Waiting for connection home from Doncaster and a feeling of absolute peace overwhelmed me like I've never felt before or since.

Getting home, blubbing incoherently at Wife and Daughter, then watching it all again.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

ZemmamasBarnet

Are those C##t's no ****ing deid yet radge
Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Lewis Flag Donator
Reaction score
All random and off the top of my head, but

Getting same Taxi driver to take me to Leeds station at 6.30 as the Semi Final. I wasn't optimistic given the play-off stuff, but he said not to worry he was a lucky omen. When I got home the following day, there was a note shoved through the letterbox saying simply "told you"

Missing their first equaliser whilst going to the toilet

Coming out of toilet to see ball smacking off the crossbar from Kenny Miller

Silently making a pact with the Football Gods that, if they left me alone today, all the play-off and semi-final defeats they'd inflicted on the Blades over the years, plus 2012 would all be forgotten , all debts paid up and I would never summon them again.

The goal. @twoheadedboy might not have liked our front row seats, but without the net, that ball would have ended up on my lap. Well it would if I'd not have fallen over the row in front and was sat on the floor screaming like a girl.

Seeing Liam running away, knowing the whistle had gone but not being able to hear it over the madness.

The madness, some crying, hugging other people crying, snow angel action, kissing the bit of crossbar that kept Kenny Millers header out.

Cutting back to the train after via Third Lanarks pitch, where I sat distraught in 2012 listening to the roar as the 5th went in, and doing a cathartic charge the length of it.

Getting a call from a mate who was at Headingley, a fellow Blade with love for Hibs, watching test match saying he was on his way up from Leeds to join in the celebrations.

Oh what a night, think the three of us gave up about half two - I'd been up since 5 the previous morning.

Walking up ER after going to the ground towards Middletons and walking straight into Super, Liam, SDG and Keats on their way to the ground. Hugged and thanked them (think the accent threw them a bit) before timing movement between pubs wrong and getting drenched.

Robbies, more madness, more tears, more hugs, more whisky. Lots of "I love you mate" stuff with THB, bottle of Champers and train home.

Waiting for connection home from Doncaster and a feeling of absolute peace overwhelmed me like I've never felt before or since.

Getting home, blubbing incoherently at Wife and Daughter, then watching it all again.
Two years later and this is the first I've heard that it rained that night. How buckled must I have been? :yas:

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Fritz

Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Player Sponsor
Lewis Flag Donator
Ladies Player Sponsor
Gray Boot Sponsor
Reaction score
I remember Hendo running with his arms aloft. I remember the exuberance on the pitch and the exuberance on the bus home. I also remember picking Ross up from under the seats shortly after Sir Dave`s header hit the back of the net...

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

wee_hissy

Get tae f**k ya auld radge
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Reaction score
I posted this on a hibs f/b site a few days ago and have copied and pasted it , apologies if you`ve already seen it .

21/5/16. I have 3 abiding memories that will stay with me forever, one is the last thing my dad ever bought me,it was a green lyle and scott jumper , he gave me it 2 months before he passed away and i had never worn it and was a treasured memento and yep you guessed it, i wore it on the day to the game and a part of me thinks i took a little bit of my dad there with me and i have never worn it since . Memory two is a bit bizarre, in my seat in the north stand i was up the back but directly adjacent to the hun , there were NO hibs fans between me and them and after the game and despite all the abuse, hawking and gobbing (i did not go on the pitch) going my way, ONE yes ONE solitary rangers fan came up congratulated me and said we deserved to win and shook my hand , i don`t know who you are but wherever you are , sir i salute you.
memory three is after negotiating my way home on the train with my son i arrived back at waverley station and headed for a bus home , i got talking to two hibbies who`d also been to the game , one had a piece of turf and loads of clips from the nets as he`d been on the pitch and the other guy who was paralytic with drink told me had had left the game at 2-1 and had watched the rest in a pub.:shock:

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Egan Number 6

Bounce Radge
Reaction score
I had went over for the League Cup Final before with a good crowd of us over from Ireland. Was great catching up with everyone. The result was gut wrenching and I had a chest infection at the time and felt like shit but didn't want to miss it.Was gutted and a long way back home.

When it came to the final against the huns I was in two minds, I really couldn't have afforded it but the missus said just go but it wasn't fair at the time. I didn't want to be a jinx. I was so worked up about it so decided to watch it here in Wexford.

I didn't sleep at all, got up didn't play any Proclaimers, Turnbull's tornadoes as normal. Just got up put on my Hibs jersey, looked at my Grandad's picture on the wall in the Hibs team photo in 1934. Said a few silent words, just smiled, blessed myself and headed down to my local in town. Somehow I just knew it would be our day, was calm.

Sat in my usual spot and the barman had it on for me (any Hibs match on tv it's on for me straight away) I'm not great watching us on the tv and was in bits. 2nd half a lad said how are we doing? Total stranger and a Hibee I didn't know. Wexford is a small town and I thought I was the only Hibee in the village Great Craic and calmed me down a little.

3-2 and I sank to my knees in the pub with tears in my eyes, got up hugged the other Hibee and the barman cheered. The missus picked me up when she finished her work. I think I kept on saying we did it, we did it. She understands me, she understands Hibs

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Harp and Castle Visit Dumbreck Decorators
Visit robertsons garage Visit Frutin Travel
HELP US BY CLICKING THE ADS