Politics SNP walk out of Parliament.

Chris G Whyte

Radge Donator
Registered
Jan 16, 2008
The Netherlands
www.twitter.com
Yep.

Because Ian Blackford was asked to leave after pushing for a private sitting. The speaker, John Bercow, asked if he wanted it to happen now, or after the current sitting; Blackford asked for now, which the speaker then removed the option for, and he wouldn't accept a point of order.

As a result of the realisation that Scotland simply isn't going to get a fair hearing from its elected representatives, the entire SNP cohort walked out with Blackford.

This union, if ever it really was one, is on its last legs.

Jack

Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Private Member
Registered
Player Sponsor
Monthly Radge
Ladies Player Sponsor
Gray Boot Sponsor
Nov 11, 2007
A stool at the bar
Hail, hail the Right Honourable Member for the Bounce!

Seriously this government is surely on its last legs.

A failed Union is one thing a dictatorship something else.

southfieldhibby

Private Member
Registered
Player Sponsor
Lewis Flag Donator
Oct 12, 2002
EH15
Was saying to someone this morning I'm getting a wee bit tired of the soundbite SNP, talking a good game but not being up for the fight. Since the last GE I've found the SNP in both parliaments to be fairly bland, middle of the road. Been pretty frustrated by them tbh, was a member but opted to leave. I've also felt that Ian Blackford ( good Hibby etc) struggled with PMQs.
I really hope today is the start of a revitalised aggressive SNP, Blackford was excellent, both in the chamber and after in the media.

Chris G Whyte

Radge Donator
Registered
Jan 16, 2008
The Netherlands
www.twitter.com
Was saying to someone this morning I'm getting a wee bit tired of the soundbite SNP, talking a good game but not being up for the fight. Since the last GE I've found the SNP in both parliaments to be fairly bland, middle of the road. Been pretty frustrated by them tbh, was a member but opted to leave. I've also felt that Ian Blackford ( good Hibby etc) struggled with PMQs.
I really hope today is the start of a revitalised aggressive SNP, Blackford was excellent, both in the chamber and after in the media.
I tend to agree, actually.

Their 2017 manifesto was extremely timid, particularly in comparison with 2015's that was radical in comparison to what was on offer elsewhere. A bit like Labour, I often opine that the SNP feel stronger when they behave like a movement as opposed to a political machine.

Dub

Hibernian, Hibernian Ra Ra Radge
Radge Donator
Private Member
Registered
Lewis Flag Donator
Monthly Radge
Nov 15, 2005
Mississippi in the middle of a dry spell
Yep.

Because Ian Blackford was asked to leave after pushing for a private sitting. The speaker, John Bercow, asked if he wanted it to happen now, or after the current sitting; Blackford asked for now, which the speaker then removed the option for, and he wouldn't accept a point of order.

As a result of the realisation that Scotland simply isn't going to get a fair hearing from its elected representatives, the entire SNP cohort walked out with Blackford.

This union, if ever it really was one, is on its last legs.
I watched that unfold. He was quite right too. The speaker showed a great deal of disrespect in the way he handled the situation and seemed to delight in it if I'm honest. When questioned by whatshername on Daily Politics afterwards it appeared that she was trying to lay the blame at his doorstep and he was having none of it.

Braehead Cabbage

Baldy radge
Radge Donator
Private Member
Registered
Monthly Radge
Jun 23, 2007
Stirling
he gets banned for a day for not sitting down but a Tory suggests SNP mps commit suicide and no action is taken against him.

Chris G Whyte

Radge Donator
Registered
Jan 16, 2008
The Netherlands
www.twitter.com
I watched that unfold. He was quite right too. The speaker showed a great deal of disrespect in the way he handled the situation and seemed to delight in it if I'm honest. When questioned by whatshername on Daily Politics afterwards it appeared that she was trying to lay the blame at his doorstep and he was having none of it.
And the standing orders (in this case, 163) are pretty clear:

"No. 163 provides that, if at any sitting of the House, or in a committee of the whole House, any Member moves 'That the House sit in private', the Speaker or the chair shall forthwith put the question".

And this is only obvious because it'd be pretty pointless to have the house sit in private AFTER the sitting. "Forthwith" means immediately. Blackford made the right choice, and was asked to leave for his trouble.

This is a bad day for Westminster, and I think the SNP are itching to make it worse.
he gets banned for a day for not sitting down but a Tory suggests SNP mps commit suicide and no action is taken against him.
Here's the clip:

Smurf

Private Member
Registered
May 15, 2003
Suburbia
Finally in Westminster they've shown some backbone. The SNP are in danger of being as insipid as the 'Feeble Fifty' Labour MP's 1988. Back then a young Alex Salmond showed what could be done interrupting Nigel Lawson's budget. FWIW I think Ian Blackford has asked good questions and good follow up questions at PMQ's but it needs more than that IMO to make any more difference than the 'Feeble Fifty'.

southfieldhibby

Private Member
Registered
Player Sponsor
Lewis Flag Donator
Oct 12, 2002
EH15
Finally in Westminster they've shown some backbone. The SNP are in danger of being as insipid as the 'Feeble Fifty' Labour MP's 1988. Back then a young Alex Salmond showed what could be done interrupting Nigel Lawson's budget. FWIW I think Ian Blackford has asked good questions and good follow up questions at PMQ's but it needs more than that IMO to make any more difference than the 'Feeble Fifty'.
Donald Dewar walked the 50 out of parliament in 1987 when he felt Scotland was being ignored. Some hefty politicians within that 50 too.

Dewar and Smith would be mortified by the actions on unionist parties over the last year.

Dub

Hibernian, Hibernian Ra Ra Radge
Radge Donator
Private Member
Registered
Lewis Flag Donator
Monthly Radge
Nov 15, 2005
Mississippi in the middle of a dry spell
And the standing orders (in this case, 163) are pretty clear:

"No. 163 provides that, if at any sitting of the House, or in a committee of the whole House, any Member moves 'That the House sit in private', the Speaker or the chair shall forthwith put the question".

And this is only obvious because it'd be pretty pointless to have the house sit in private AFTER the sitting. "Forthwith" means immediately. Blackford made the right choice, and was asked to leave for his trouble.

This is a bad day for Westminster, and I think the SNP are itching to make it worse.

Here's the clip:
It appears that while Ian was walking out, the speaker mumbled that they did have to accede to the request and sit in private but by then he had dismissed him from the chamber.

I'm watching Scottish Politics just now and the word "stunt" is being thrown around by everyone except of course the SNP.

southfieldhibby

Private Member
Registered
Player Sponsor
Lewis Flag Donator
Oct 12, 2002
EH15
It was obviously a stunt, to say it was anything else would be silly. They needed a way getting into the spotlight and this was pretty much an ace. Ask for something you'll not get, refuse to stand down, get chucked out, all leave team handed.

It worked, everyone is now talking about it. It's all The SNP have at Westminster, stunts. Use them, cause a wee bit chaos, braying tories to the people for what they are.

Power

Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Private Member
Registered
Oct 27, 2002
Dhn ideann
It was obviously a stunt, to say it was anything else would be silly. They needed a way getting into the spotlight and this was pretty much an ace. Ask for something you'll not get, refuse to stand down, get chucked out, all leave team handed.

It worked, everyone is now talking about it. It's all The SNP have at Westminster, stunts. Use them, cause a wee bit chaos, braying tories to the people for what they are.
Yep, how I see it too. Media Stunt to highlight what a bunch of cunts the majority of the chamber is to the masses of the population that don't usually follow.
A uninspiring couple of PMQs wouldn't have caught the public's attention.

Watch the reporting story be tailored though.

GORDONSMITH7

**** The Hearts
Administrator
Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Registered
Player Sponsor
Lewis Flag Donator
Monthly Radge
Ladies Player Sponsor
Gray Boot Sponsor
Jun 28, 2002
EH6
So on here over the past 12 hours I have read that 'The Union is on it's last legs' , 'The Government is on it's last legs' and 'The Labour Party is finished'. O Me Miserum, whom am I to believe? My prediction is that Hibs will win 3-0.

BIG G