• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

Sleaford mods

egb_hibs

Private Member
Reaction score
The kind of band you want to like but know will be shite; and are.

A great advert for proclaimers long argued, er, arguments in favour of good pop music.

Now the target is painted on my back, do your worst hipsters.

Barry name though. Which reminds me - bomber, don't waste your time; they're not

I'm confused, Eedge - do you like them or not?

(I've never heard of them, incidentally.)

I'm confused, Eedge - do you like them or not?

(I've never heard of them, incidentally.)

I like the idea, but not the reality. As is so often the case.

The idea is a couple of Herbert's who took their name of some old gang graffiti and are set on putting the world to rights. Nae Spring chickens either - my age so prolly a few years older than you. The predictable reality - auld fecks dressed in shit casual clobber ranting tunelessly about the same old same old.

They'll be massive for five minutes sometime next year. In column inches, not sales. :coffee:

The idea is a couple of Herbert's who took their name of some old gang graffiti and are set on putting the world to rights. Nae Spring chickens either - my age so prolly a few years older than you. The predictable reality - auld fecks dressed in $#@! casual clobber ranting tunelessly about the same old same old.

They'll be massive for five minutes sometime next year. In column inches, not sales. :coffee:

Just Googled 'em - they look like they've taken a rake of speed if nothing else. I'll give then a listen sometime and report back.

P.S. I'm born '74, so they don't look like they predate me by much...

Just Googled 'em - they look like they've taken a rake of speed if nothing else. I'll give then a listen sometime and report back.

P.S. I'm born '74, so they don't look like they predate me by much...

Neither do I then. Your generation too.

The idea is a couple of Herbert's who took their name of some old gang graffiti and are set on putting the world to rights. Nae Spring chickens either - my age so prolly a few years older than you. The predictable reality - auld fecks dressed in shit casual clobber ranting tunelessly about the same old same old.

C'mon man... I know you don't do facebook so won't have had all the videos slammed at you but these guys have been getting all the kudos of the wank press for about 2 years now. Here's a typical review of their 2013 album that is very gushy in that 'this is the new thing' kinda way beloved of, erm, music snobs like me. I tried really hard to like them. I don't though.

The Quietus | Reviews | Sleaford Mods

Heard about them a couple of years back when they tried to make headlines by criticising Noel Gallagher and Oasis for having blood on their hands for setting music back 30 years with their old fashioned rock. Thought it was a bit ironic from a band with 'mods' in their title. Noel G's response...

"They're like fucking Brown Bottle in Viz," he said. "There's no joy in that, is there? It's just two guys, one clearly mentally ill, who's just shouting like Brown Bottle about fucking cider and fucking shit chicken. Yeah, that would've been fun wouldn't it, at Knebworth. 'Good evening ladies and gentlemen, and while we're all here', while all the people at the back are on acid and E, 'round of applause for the miners, wahey'. Fuck off."

He continued: "Oasis were raging, but we were raging joy and the sun was out in the songs, if you can't see the rage and the yearning to better yourself in rock 'n' roll star you're dead to me. And protest songs: fucking bollocks. 'Cigarettes & Alcohol' is a protest song, and the message in that is 'Fuck your recession and fuck you and your government, we’re gonna have a great time.'"

Moving onto Sleaford Mods' comments that he had*"blood on his hands"*for making things too retro, Gallagher said: "Yeah. Well tell them from me that I’ve got blood on my hands and fucking champagne in the bath.

They are fucking terrible.

They're pretty much a punk version of The Streets, with about as much nuance as a shite in a swimming pool.

I gave them a go and there are definitely decent bits on the album, but they're pretty sparse and, the only bits I like are the bits where they break character or have a half decent play on words.

It's pretty shan when a pretty shan band are considered amazing.

The kind of band you want to like but know will be $#@!e; and are.

A great advert for proclaimers long argued, er, arguments in favour of good pop music.

Now the target is painted on my back, do your worst hipsters.

Barry name though. Which reminds me - bomber, don't waste your time; they're not

I've known about this band for 2/3 years so they're not new to me or FWIW, my cup of tea.

Gave them a listen on the back of this thread - truly horrendous. Bit of a cheek calling Oasis out for being retro when they sound like a band who'd be on CD3 Track 19 of one of those Best 80's Punk Songs In The World...Ever compilations you'd find in Asda. Well that but worse. Brutal.

Talking of Nottinghamshire music from past few years, you've probably all heard of him but if not both Jake Bugg albums are superb. He's a teenage kid who is like a Britpop Johnny Cash. If you like the sound of that definitely check him out. Lightning Bolt, Taste It, Simple As This, Slumville Sunrise and Me & You should be songs that give you a flavour of the boy.

Gave them a listen on the back of this thread - truly horrendous. Bit of a cheek calling Oasis out for being retro when they sound like a band who'd be on CD3 Track 19 of one of those Best 80's Punk Songs In The World...Ever compilations you'd find in Asda. Well that but worse. Brutal.

Talking of Nottinghamshire music from past few years, you've probably all heard of him but if not both Jake Bugg albums are superb. He's a teenage kid who is like a Britpop Johnny Cash. If you like the sound of that definitely check him out. Lightning Bolt, Taste It, Simple As This, Slumville Sunrise and Me & You should be songs that give you a flavour of the boy.

They remind me of A non-posh Crass; ie unlistenable ranting given attention because of 'political' lyrics.

Heard about them a couple of years back when they tried to make headlines by criticising Noel Gallagher and Oasis for having blood on their hands for setting music back 30 years with their old fashioned rock. Thought it was a bit ironic from a band with 'mods' in their title. Noel G's response...

"They're like fucking Brown Bottle in Viz," he said. "There's no joy in that, is there? It's just two guys, one clearly mentally ill, who's just shouting like Brown Bottle about fucking cider and fucking shit chicken. Yeah, that would've been fun wouldn't it, at Knebworth. 'Good evening ladies and gentlemen, and while we're all here', while all the people at the back are on acid and E, 'round of applause for the miners, wahey'. Fuck off."

He continued: "Oasis were raging, but we were raging joy and the sun was out in the songs, if you can't see the rage and the yearning to better yourself in rock 'n' roll star you're dead to me. And protest songs: fucking bollocks. 'Cigarettes & Alcohol' is a protest song, and the message in that is 'Fuck your recession and fuck you and your government, we’re gonna have a great time.'"

Moving onto Sleaford Mods' comments that he had*"blood on his hands"*for making things too retro, Gallagher said: "Yeah. Well tell them from me that I’ve got blood on my hands and fucking champagne in the bath.

Great post T_P :thumbgrin

They remind me of A non-posh Crass; ie unlistenable ranting given attention because of 'political' lyrics.

Why the fuck did folk listen to Crass?

Another band I tried to like, not least because Vinyl Villains had all their albums cheap, but failed miserably.

Why the $#@! did folk listen to Crass?

Another band I tried to like, not least because Vinyl Villains had all their albums cheap, but failed miserably.

Because of the politics, and as pish as such politically led 'music' invariably is.

They are a lot like Wham but worse. One bloke does all the work while the other useless bloke poses and contributes very little.

I think Gallagher got it right.

They're not new on me, either, and I really liked "Tied up in Nottz". Only heard a couple of other tracks and they're not really for listening to in front of the fire with the Mrs, are they? It's fight music, you want to see it live I guess.

They're not new on me, either, and I really liked "Tied up in Nottz". Only heard a couple of other tracks and they're not really for listening to in front of the fire with the Mrs, are they? It's fight music, you want to see it live I guess.
i think you misspelled that. :giggle:

Have to confess similar. I dearly wanted to like them too. Firstly there's THAT name and secondly they're near neighbours based locally a couple of miles away in Sherwood, Nottingham. They both have roots in nearby Lincolnshire and took their name, I understand, from the town of Sleaford in that county. Sleaford is an unexceptional backwater, no offence to it's residents.

Had a relative went to the gig at Nottingham Rock City last Saturday night and raved about them. I truly am just not seeing it though. I wanted to like them but find them absolutely shite - unlistenable in fact. I've tried, I'll pass thanks.

Agree about Jake, S. He's got a talent alright and goes his own way in all respects as far as I can see. He seems to be a young guy that won't be compromised and I like that. His songs are varied, interesting and entertaining. He's also a staunch and genuine Notts County fan (as opposed to the greatly more supported Nottingham Forest) and quite happy to let people know. In this city, I kinda respect that. He'll do for me.

Two middle-aged crusties shouting "the Tories are c*nts!" over some breakbeats? Sounds great! Where do I sign up? You'll be unsurprised to hear that the Grauniad is fawning over them.

Two middle-aged crusties shouting "the Tories are c*nts!" over some breakbeats? Sounds great! Where do I sign up? You'll be unsurprised to hear that the Grauniad is fawning over them.

It'll be like the happy Monday's and the NME - fawning over the stable boys until they express an unauthorised thought and then evisceration.

Breakbeats? Shan punk beats make like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sleaford mods: not for me, but i'd rather sit through their oeuvre on repeat - frankly i'd rather open my wrists - than fawn over jake bugg, fucking hell. mumford **** with a trendy haircut

Pretty pish from what I've heard but I wouldn't get upset about them.

I quite liked their appearance on Jools H where the other bloke pressed a button on his laptop then swigged the dregs of his pint for 3 mins.:rollfloor

Why pretend, eh?

Pretty pish from what I've heard but I wouldn't get upset about them.

I quite liked their appearance on Jools H where the other bloke pressed a button on his laptop then swigged the dregs of his pint for 3 mins.:rollfloor

Why pretend, eh?

Agreed - blew it with the dismal land t shirt and trucker cap though - looked like a hipster

sleaford mods: not for me, but i'd rather sit through their oeuvre on repeat - frankly i'd rather open my wrists - than fawn over jake bugg, $#@!ing hell. mumford **** with a trendy haircut
Another 100% guaranteed Radiohead fan.

Never thought I'd say this but last Mumford's LP was pretty good in a Kings of Leon pop-rock kind of way. I appreciate you'll think KoL are mindless, generic, bland, stadium rock which you liked before they got famous but I'm into them.

Another 100% guaranteed Radiohead fan.

Never thought I'd say this but last Mumford's LP was pretty good in a Kings of Leon pop-rock kind of way. I appreciate you'll think KoL are mindless, generic, bland, stadium rock which you liked before they got famous but I'm into them.

That's not the problem with kings of Leon. The problem is they're American and American music is pish. Well apart from hip hop and soul.

That's not the problem with kings of Leon. The problem is they're American and American music is pish. Well apart from hip hop and soul.
...and pop, blues, gospel, rock n roll, country, roots and The Black Keys.

Major bawbaggery there, EeeGee. For someone that seems relatively aware of music, your lack of knowledge here seems oddly wilful.

It's one of the most halfharsed British cultural memes that American music is bad.

Most of the musical movements in the UK started there and, not many folk seem to be aware of that for some weird reason. A pointless British superiority complex is my only guess.

Major bawbaggery there, EeeGee. For someone that seems relatively aware of music, your lack of knowledge here seems oddly wilful.

It's one of the most halfharsed British cultural memes that American music is bad.

Most of the musical movements in the UK started there and, not many folk seem to be aware of that for some weird reason. A pointless British superiority complex is my only guess.

Can't think of many white American musicians that are non pish. There are of course some, Springsteen for instance, but not many.

...and pop, blues, gospel, rock n roll, country, roots and The Black Keys.

Indeed! You can add Jazz to that at well. If it wasn't for American Jazz/Blues, hip hop or soul would not exist today as we know it, or any of the above for that matter.

Can't think of many white American musicians that are non pish. There are of course some, Springsteen for instance, but not many.

You said 'if they're American, and American music is pish'. There was no 'white' qualifier but that's vastly meaningless anyway unless you truly believe the only two types of music to come out of America and manage to be good are hip hop and soul.

You said 'if they're American, and American music is pish'. There was no 'white' qualifier but that's vastly meaningless anyway unless you truly believe the only two types of music to come out of America and manage to be good are hip hop and soul.

I was trying to avoid racial classifications which I was originally going to use. But proclaimers response highlighted omissions in my attempt to do it by genre instead. So I am forced to resort to the uncomfortable racial reality: White American music is, by and large, Lillian Gish.

I have hunners and hunners of Lps and I am struggling to think of more than a handful in that number by white Americans - and they are mostly 'what was I thinking of' pish an all.

Billy Joel :hiya:

Billy Joel :hiya:

All American music is pish apart from black music, Bruce Springsteen and billy Joel.

Next :coffee:

I was trying to avoid racial classifications which I was originally going to use. But proclaimers response highlighted omissions in my attempt to do it by genre instead. So I am forced to resort to the uncomfortable racial reality: White American music is, by and large, Lillian Gish.

I have hunners and hunners of Lps and I am struggling to think of more than a handful in that number by white Americans - and they are mostly 'what was I thinking of' pish an all.

I didn't want this to be about race either but it is pretty unavoidable that 75% of non pish US music is black in origin. But, it's also pretty clear that the majority of yank musical genres are actually fucking excellent, whether they're black or white (less so) in origin / black or white folk doing it. Britain has consistently stolen from the American upstarts who showed us how to do everything musical and then British folk have the audacity to claim American music is shite. Total snob-core.

All American music is pish apart from black music, Bruce Springsteen and billy Joel.Next :coffee:
Were you not on here extolling the virtues of white American synth duo Suicide the other day?

I didn't want this to be about race either but it is pretty unavoidable that 75% of non pish US music is black in origin. But, it's also pretty clear that the majority of yank musical genres are actually $#@!ing excellent, whether they're black or white (less so) in origin / black or white folk doing it. Britain has consistently stolen from the American upstarts who showed us how to do everything musical and then British folk have the audacity to claim American music is $#@!e. Total snob-core.

Not snob core from me; I'm a huge fan of the US and her defender in the face of the tedious patter of the anti western mob. However, nobody can be good at everything, and honkeys are pish at music. And fashion.

The American music ripped off was largely white British ripping off black Americans - and then doing new and excellent things.

I have no axe to grind: American movies are best, same with tv, books. But they should leave the music to us :coffee:

- - - Updated - - -

Were you not on here extolling the virtues of white American synth duo Suicide the other day?

Yup. I am not saying that every single note produced by a white American is without merit. That would be as daft as precluding the possibility of individual heroism within the Italian army.

However, exceptions do not alter the general truth.

All American music is pish apart from black music, Bruce Springsteen and billy Joel.

Next :coffee:

All modern Music is Black Music in origin. The Rolling Stones are well overdue a MOBO.

Johnny Cash, Tom Waits, Creedence, REM, Ramones, Blondie, Frank Zappa, Flaming Lips, White Stripes, The Doors, Television, Talking Heads, Eels, Grandaddy, Metallica,Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Pixies...

This thread has been viewed 7667 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£47.50