• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

should hibs aim for third place or push it further??

conorhibs

New radge
Reaction score
we have had such a great start so far and the way celtic and rangers are playing shows that the league is there for the taking. if hibs keep the good form could we really push further than 3rd??

:smug:

Let's just see how it goes in the next couple of months.
We are in a great position so far.

There's a long way to go and I'm still remembering that a top 4 place would be decent.

Enjoy the ride (oo-er matron) but remember the roller coaster can go down as well as up.

If we get through to jan the way we are going then yeah why not, we could def push for 3rd or 2nd, however ill be happy if we finnished 4th and a good run in the "big cup":rascal:

The latter! :bbb:

'Mon the Cabbage!

Every season i set out to win the three competitions.
This season i'm still thinking about the league flag and Scottish cup.

Top 4 more realistic!!!! Great start tho' but I still think we have a bit to go before we can realistically challenge for a higher finish.

Last edited:
A lot of the cliches in football come about because they are a true reflection of you should go about things.

The players should be aiming to win the next match, then the next one and so on.

Aiming to win the next game is the best thing to concentrate on.

i think we need to keep our feet on the ground here and not get too carried away. we usually hit a slump around xmas remember our good start under collins and where that ended up! we just need to focus on the short term and take each game as it comes and see where we end up at the end of the season!
we can break the old firm but its gonna be a long hard season!

Let's hope to come out of the Winter time in the same position we are now if not better. Then things could get exciting. I'd love to see us in the Champions League.

Let's just see how it goes in the next couple of months.
We are in a great position so far.

There's a long way to go and I'm still remembering that a top 4 place would be decent.

Enjoy the ride (oo-er matron) but remember the roller coaster can go down as well as up.

Wise words (as usual)! But let us continue to build and show ambition. I have always felt we had greater potential as a club than has been evident for some years. We are not at the mercy of the OF and their financial power at this time.

We need to remember Motherwell and Dundee Utd are right behind us aswell. A couple bad results can change everything. I think everyone would be delighted if we get a European slot this season as the OF will be hard to crack no matter how shit they are doing.

Think its a reality check thats called for.

As some of the above posters have said,see where we are come Jan/Feb.Far too early to predict where we will finish.

Also the derby hasn't been won yet

Would be delighted just to be invloved in Europe this season and then push on after that.

We are a team that should be playing for 3rd every season but the Old Firm gap has been narrowed massively and well you never know shhhh

No.

ffs this is Hibs we are talking about. Higher than last season's 6th place finish is progress to me.

Some folk in this thread sound like Gunts, remember how we ripped the pish out of them for 'believing' their own hype a few seasons ago?

As Snoots said, one game at a time.

while it's not impossible to split the old firm (those who shall not be named managed it not so long ago) it is very early to start thinking about that as fans. i fully expect yogi to be thinking about it and telling his players they can do it as i would expect any manager of a top 6 team to do this, it would be good for us to try kee pour feet on the ground till jan/feb then we can start dreaming

if you had said to me guarenteed top 6 (no hoping other teams results go our way to get there) and attractive football at the start of the season then i'd have been thrilled. however the expectation levels have been raised (as this thread shows)

we havent been consistenly great but at times its been wonderful, ive been impressed with every signing, and you dont often get to say that! i now would hope for a clear 4th/3rd finish, would possibly feel a bit underwhelmed with anything less.

we have been good but the next step is to find consistency, remember its not even 6 months into the job for yogi yet and i sense good times ahead as long as we can keep this going

as for tomorrow, im terrified all this optimism is going to blow up in our faces, and if we lose i may decide to stay in the house for a week, avoiding news papers, internet etc, however it wont be panic stations for me, just a small blip at the start of a long season with two more chances for revenge

Last edited:
No.

ffs this is Hibs we are talking about. Higher than last season's 6th place finish is progress to me.

Some folk in this thread sound like Gunts, remember how we ripped the pish out of them for 'believing' their own hype a few seasons ago?

:applause::applause::applause:

To be fair,think some of the posters are a bit on the young side and haven't been through this as many times as us auld cynical gets:shock:

Top 3 would be great.

No.

So would you be happy with 5th this year? :dunno:

push for the title, but one match at a time....

push for the title, but one match at a time....
Correct. You win your next game before anything else can happen is the way you have to treat it. No quite sure how you can aim to win the league or finish 3rd in November anyway...

Where and when it does become an issue is on 1st January when the transfer window opens. If we're still going well and within touching distance of the top of the league at that point I'd really like the board to make a statement of intent by declaring no-one is getting sold in January, and going out and signing at least one player in an area where the squad has a weakness (probably right back/ centre half) if the manager believes that one player can make a substantial difference.

Hibs should aim for exactly that 3rd place spot and anything else after that is a Brucie Bonus.

If it was 11 v 11 then I'd except Hibs might be 2nd but it's not, it is a 22 team squad v a 22 team squad and a January transfer window where Hibs can't actually buy any players by offerring a transfer fee and will struggle to hold on to players such as Bamba,Mcbride and Zemmama.

These players might not actually leave but if they are wanted by other clubs then they will have been suitably tapped up and distracted. Bamba for example has already been making noises about 'other clubs' because he knows full well this is World Cup year and he will never get a bigger chance of the life changing move than now.:tuttut:

It works both ways though and I would hope Yogi keeps tapping up Barr and that the board support his long term strategy by making the funds available to fund the right back that is so needed.:hmmm

3rd from 6th in a season is real progress and that's what Hibs should aim for as I am still of the opinion that in the SPL you can only be 3rd.:sad

So would you be happy with 5th this year? :dunno:

Not as happy as I'd be with third, but yes.

At the end of last season we looked like we were in the shit. We lost 2 of our best players and our football was murder. When Yogi came in, all I was looking for was a regroup and for progress to be made. Fifth would be progress.

Of course if we get to February still in a top 3 position, my expectations might change but I'm not about to demand more than what I wanted at the start of the season after only 10 games. I've seen this kind of start before go titsup, and as other older heads have said, it's all about squad strength and depth in the long game.

I'd agree that January is absolutely crucial on our chances of third spot.

It's only November, so no matter how we've done up until now talk of 2nd or even 3rd can only back-fire.Carry on as we have, get through the transfer window unscathed and look at things in February.Talk of 2nd is mental.

We would all like to see Hibs finish as high as possible but the reality is we are probably 2 or 3 quality players short of having the the squad to compete for major honours. If Hibs are still pushing the old firm at the turn of the year the board should give Yogi whatever he needs to strengthen the squad.

It's only November, so no matter how we've done up until now talk of 2nd or even 3rd can only back-fire.Carry on as we have, get through the transfer window unscathed and look at things in February.Talk of 2nd is mental.
Talk of 2nd is particularly mental when there isn't a stand out side in the league. If you can finish second, you can finish first as far as I'm concerned.

But aye, way too early. The next two landmark times of the season are at the start of the January transfer window, and after we've played everyone home and away imo. See where we are then, then start thinking about it.

Hibs should aim for exactly that 3rd place spot and anything else after that is a Brucie Bonus.

If it was 11 v 11 then I'd except Hibs might be 2nd but it's not, it is a 22 team squad v a 22 team squad and a January transfer window where Hibs can't actually buy any players by offerring a transfer fee and will struggle to hold on to players such as Bamba,Mcbride and Zemmama.

These players might not actually leave but if they are wanted by other clubs then they will have been suitably tapped up and distracted. Bamba for example has already been making noises about 'other clubs' because he knows full well this is World Cup year and he will never get a bigger chance of the life changing move than now.:tuttut:

It works both ways though and I would hope Yogi keeps tapping up Barr and that the board support his long term strategy by making the funds available to fund the right back that is so needed.:hmmm

3rd from 6th in a season is real progress and that's what Hibs should aim for as I am still of the opinion that in the SPL you can only be 3rd.:sad
Our squad really isn't a lot thinner than the huns tbh.

Last edited:
Nobody should be getting carried away just yet but one game at a time keep it going and who knows? Just remember what happened to the last non weegie team that could've won the league. Thank fuck for Sir Albert.

Nobody should be getting carried away just yet but one game at a time keep it going and who knows? Just remember what happened to the last non weegie team that could've won the league. Thank fuck for Sir Albert.
More accurately fuck Mark Hately, and Michael Watt.

But your point is still a valid one despite that. A team which starts stringing together a few results can start looking very good as the confidence flows. That same Hearts side barely changed the following year and finished 6th I think.

Talk of 2nd is particularly mental when there isn't a stand out side in the league. If you can finish second, you can finish first as far as I'm concerned.

But aye, way too early. The next two landmark times of the season are at the start of the January transfer window, and after we've played everyone home and away imo. See where we are then, then start thinking about it.

Our squad really isn't a lot thinner than the huns tbh.

But IS a lot thinner than the gunts! :nade: :giggle:

Think that 3rd would be a great achievement in yogi's first season, given where we were six months ago. :102:

Despite how bad the OF have been so far they can deal with injuries, if for example, bamba was to get injured seriously then who would cover long-term??:dunno:

Think we should secure third season and look to push on from there.:thumbgrin

GGTTH!

One game at a time ,maybe boost the squad in Jan ,its a tremendous start to Yogis time at Hibs and long may it continue , 3 Pt's last week just upd the anti for the derby tomorrow , to be possibly 14 points ahead of Hearts by 4.45 tommorow nights a great incentive for the team ,plus the opportunity to get more fans back to ER with the half season ticket .
And with more bums on the seats cheering the boys on why settle for 3rd place I think the OF are terrible ,worst in years so have a dash .
Aberdeen , Motherwell ,Dundee Utd are very capable of taking points of the OF , and us , I think the league will be won very late into the season and with a bit of luck we will be very much in contention , a European place 2nd 3rd whatever as long as we give it a right good go as JH says I will be happy .
Our season is a quarter done tomorrow against Hearts a point or 3 will be excellent ,like most Hibs fans you want the 3pts knock them way back but its a Derby and they can go either way ,somehow I think the team talk will be a Yogi special
I dont think the importance of the match will be lost on the players some how .

casper casper

Green Hibby Flag

casper casper

GGTTH

If ant 1,389,347 of a colony in a certain desert in Northern Australia breaks one of its antlers next week....

We're DOOOMED, DOOOOOMED AH TELL YE

Jist as accurate as any other post in this topic, innit? :)

We have to take each game as it comes and of course to respect the opposition. Remember what happened at Hamilton. If we can keep grinding out results and we are still in the mix come the window then Hughes would be in a strong position to request that the board backs him. In an ideal world a couple of fringe players should be moved out to allow him to continue to improve the quality of the squad and options from the bench and for cover etc.

We will have to see how far he can take us but one thing is for sure, the old firm are much weakened from earlier campaigns and they will both drop points to a number of SPL clubs.

Of course we should aim higher than 3rd but a 3rd place finish would be great along with dare I say it a Cup win in May.

But as todays game too many drawn games and no cutting edge up front. We will not finish ahead of the OF this season playing like that. Just now it looks like we may well fall further behind the OF given Rankers have two games in hand over us and Dundee United and Motherwell are breathing down our necks.

One thing is for sure, if your aspirations are low you wont be dissapointed but you will be a sad old bugger. Aim high every time .

One thing is for sure, if your aspirations are low you wont be dissapointed but you will be a sad old bugger. Aim high every time .

Well said Vlad.

:wink:

Well said Vlad.

:wink:

I'm right though :smug:

I'm right though :smug:

That's you aiming high again eh.
:shrink303:

:yeah:

hibs should try to win every game they play; the rest will take care of itself.

personally, i believe we'll finish 4th and i'll be happy with that.

sanity check; noone will ever win the league outside the OF while it remains in it's current format.

hibs should try to win every game they play; the rest will take care of itself.

personally, i believe we'll finish 4th and i'll be happy with that.

sanity check; noone will ever win the league outside the OF while it remains in it's current format.

Well Ah hope thats not the way our players think.
If you tell yersel yer no guid enough you might as well no bother playing IMO.

This thread has been viewed 1716 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£47.50
Back