Scottish teams in Europe

greencol

Skivin cooncil Radge
Private Member
Reaction score
Be a toughy thats for sure. Wonder if they've sold out there tickets. Can't remember last time I seen Tannadice full.
It used to be for European games.
The old terracing ( standing)was chock a block usually.

Jack K

Well-Known Radge
Reaction score
I'll watch the Dundee United game tonight on BBC Scotland but genuinely can't see them beating Alkmaar over two legs. They're a good side and I think they'll have too much quality for United.
AZ get smaller average attendances than Hibs but in a country twice the size of Scotland will get a far bigger TV deal income so will be better equipped than us so United will be up against it over two legs.

Hammi

Top radge
Admin
Private Member
Reaction score
AZ get smaller average attendances than Hibs but in a country twice the size of Scotland will get a far bigger TV deal income so will be better equipped than us so United will be up against it over two legs.

AZ turnover about 30mil a year.

Way, way, way more money than I thought.

HaarlemShuffler

Coffee Shop Radge
Private Member
Reaction score
The view from AZ's manager here in the press is that DU are a 'physical team' and will present problems.

So absolutely the same as every Dutch press interview with a Dutch manager before playing a Scottish side.

That's all the Dutch see in Scottish teams. One thing they never mention and that perhaps Scottish sides should concentrate more on is the much faster tempo in SPL games. If you can keep it going, Dutch defences can get disorganised as they lose control.

But the usually finer Dutch technique and tactical nous onfield generally gives them an advantage.

Still, early in the season for AZ too, so I'm going 2-2.

hibbybilly

radge grandad radge
Private Member
Reaction score
Motherwells conquerors 2 down after 8 minutes.

Admin
Private Member
Reaction score
United by far the better team here. I like United, less our bastard child like Celtc, more our successful wee cousin and was fine with boring Jack Ross. Hope they score soon.

CorkHibee1875

Private Member
Reaction score
United by far the better team here. I like United, less our bastard child like Celtc, more our successful wee cousin and was fine with boring Jack Ross. Hope they score soon.
They’ve been very impressive so far very aggressive performance by them not giving AZ time and space.

CorkHibee1875

Private Member
Reaction score
Unlike Sligo, which shows you where Motherwell are!
Motherwell are pathetic. Look at Dundee Uniteds performance tonight against a top Dutch side compared to Motherwells 2 shambolic efforts.

CorkHibee1875

Private Member
Reaction score
That’s some win for Dundee United. Shows you what I know ffs 🤦‍♂️

CorkHibee1875

Private Member
Reaction score
You're not alone. I thought Utd would lose..and lose by a couple.
They played well and thoroughly deserved to win.
Alkmaar pushed Celtic close last season and looked a really good side I thought they'd have too much for United but it was a great performance by United. The goal was a cracking goal as well.

Greenmachine

Private Member
Reaction score
Very good performance and result from United last night.
Good organisation is crucial in Europe and they showed that last night.
A 1-0 win is a good one to take into the second leg.. Alkmaar know they have to score two to get through now.

Last edited:

CorkHibee1875

Private Member
Reaction score
Very good performance and result from United last night.
Good organisation is crucial in Europe and the showed that last night.
A 1-0 win is a good one to take into the second leg.. Alkmaar know they have to score two to get through now.
If United get the 1st goal over there it'll throw the cat amongst the pigeons. After watching them last night they are capable of it.

Jack K

Well-Known Radge
Reaction score
AZ turnover about 30mil a year.

Way, way, way more money than I thought.
A lot of cash but I suppose it makes sense given the Eredivisie along with the French and Portugese Leagues are best after the usual massive 4.
Not popular on here but I will be interested to see Hearts turnover for this upcoming season. Given the turnover you have found for Alkmaar, you would imagine a consistent turnover of at least £20 million per year will be required for Scottish teams outside the OF to make a reasonable stab at European competition.

Doc Shrink

Curmudgeon Radge
Private Member
Reaction score
A lot of cash but I suppose it makes sense given the Eredivisie along with the French and Portugese Leagues are best after the usual massive 4.
Not popular on here but I will be interested to see Hearts turnover for this upcoming season. Given the turnover you have found for Alkmaar, you would imagine a consistent turnover of at least £20 million per year will be required for Scottish teams outside the OF to make a reasonable stab at European competition.
The Gunts will not be short of that.

Want to get rid of the ads?
Click Here

This thread has been viewed 3639 times.

Support the Site!

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£28.75