• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

Scottish notes matter

Green juventine

Private Member
Reaction score
Some things never change. I went down to Essex to visit my brother whilst down there I went to visit my parent’s grave. The cemetery is located just outside Pitsea there’s a church and a wee florist shop.
I went in picked up a bunch of flowers and took them to the cashier. Cash or card?
Cash. Had 2£20 notes in my wallet one Clydesdale one Royal bank of Scotland.Thought I’d play it safe and offered him the RBS one.
Sorry we don’t accept Scottish money.
Had to pay by card..... fuckin raging honestly if hadn’t been for the fact that it was the only place for miles around I would have given him an education in how the world has supposedly moved on since the 70s.
So remember countrymen before you withdraw cash (Scottish cash) take the knee.

Had the same when I went intae a motorway service station earlier in the year. Lassie got her manager, was wi ma brother who lives in Manchester, he offered tae pay but I telt him naw, manager said he widnae give me it back as it was a forgery. Telt him tae get the polis and proceeded tae eat ma sausage roll I just bought.He eventually relented once there was a big queue. Fuckin prick?

I deliberately go hame wi' a wad o' Scottish notes just tae wind the *&*^ up

Whenever I go down to Yorkshire to stay at my brothers, I just wait till I get to Leeds train station and take out cash then from the ATM machine when it's Bank of England notes. Just not worth the hassle.

Always heard growing up "legal tender!!"
But apparently there's no such thing, anyone can refuse any notes.

Hardly ever happens up here with English notes, its rather stupid.
Although I do enjoy winding them up when I'm down there with our money too.

Same thing happens in Scotland with Northern Irish notes.

I do the same as @Greenmachine but normally still have a few Scottish notes which will be produced if I'm in an argumentative/bolshy mood when I don't like the cut of their jib:3:

The @hibbybilly ploy of a bite out your sausage rolls or a swig of your juice normally wins them over without argument!

Up until Covid I was down south most weeks, I always carry Scottish notes because I am belligerent nationalist arsehole. Last time I was KB'd was in a Lidl in Southend for a three days worth of shopping whilst working there. The lady would not take by scottish twenty, I left the shopping where it was and walked out. That same night in the pub minding my own business half watching a West Ham game on the telly, two geezers asked me my team, I said Hibs. They were delighted, both Hammers, they loved Hibs as we had 'done' Millwall. Ended up on a sesh with them. Good for previously soiled in Lidl cross border relations, bad for my performance at work the next day!

do you blame them... 3 different banks issuing 3 different kinds, fecking micky mouse money, we are all british, lets just align with our english and welsh cousins and just get lizzie oan the notes :54:

do you blame them... 3 different banks issuing 3 different kinds, fecking micky mouse money, we are all british, lets just align with our english and welsh cousins and just get lizzie oan the notes :54:
Hope you've got tin hat firmly affixed

Up until Covid I was down south most weeks, I always carry Scottish notes because I am belligerent nationalist arsehole. Last time I was KB'd was in a Lidl in Southend for a three days worth of shopping whilst working there. The lady would not take by scottish twenty, I left the shopping where it was and walked out. That same night in the pub minding my own business half watching a West Ham game on the telly, two geezers asked me my team, I said Hibs. They were delighted, both Hammers, they loved Hibs as we had 'done' Millwall. Ended up on a sesh with them. Good for previously soiled in Lidl cross border relations, bad for my performance at work the next day!
Similar, was at the bottom of Dublin Street years ago and sent the laddie I was workin wi intae the wee Pakistani shop that used tae be there tae get me 10 fags, wi a twenty pound note. Fags then were aboot 1.30 for ten. He came back oot tae the van and said the guy widnae Gi him them saying he was just wantin change for the bus. 5 minutes later in I go and ask breed milk soup washing powder and various other items. Guys puttin them all in aboot 5 bags and ringing everything up and says tae me that’ll be 27 pound something, Cannae mind the odds. I said Away and get fucked and walked oot. Childish much? Probably ?

I live just south of London and have many West Ham mates, they all love Hibs because of that Friday night!!

Have to say that my experience of refuseniks in the hundreds of visits south of the Border over the past 50 years are minimal. Once in 1973 in earthquake central Leighton Buzzard when visiting my brother. I tried to buy the Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young double LP, 4 Way Street with a Bank of Clydesdale fiver. Mind you thinking back cannae blame the guy as it had Robert Burns on the front and a fuckin' mouse on the back!

1100081845.jpeg

The other occasion was a few years back in Liverpool and was not directed a me personally. Passing a pub with two Scouse amigos I pointed to a sign in it's window with 'No Scottish notes accepted'. Joe explained that it was because drug gangs from Liverpool were selling their deadly wares extensively in Scotland and they didnae want to act as launderers of 'death money' as he called it. Again I was easy with that.

I have once used the walking out a shop and leaving the goods tactic. Years ago before plant based eating made sense to me, I was returning from work in Livingston and stopped of at the chippy at Stenhouse Cross for a fish supper. I pointed to the biggest one by far on display and said that I would like that one please. I was informed that I couldnae pick and choose and an exchange took plaice (sic) then he proceeded to pick a rather smaller one, me still protesting. Salt,sauce, two pickles and lots of vinegar please. After wrapping them I leaned over and whispered fuck you mate to him and left him with his unsellable fish supper.

BIG G

Last edited:
On the Ramsgate ferry to France tried to buy booze with my Scottish notes. Young chap refused my Scottish notes, cue the gangsta granny from Glasgow stepping in, I do the run regular to stockpile my pubs in London son, I'm friends with the captain. Feck knows what she said but the lad who served me apologised and treated me like a lord when she was finished with him.

On the Ramsgate ferry to France tried to buy booze with my Scottish notes. Young chap refused my Scottish notes, cue the gangsta granny from Glasgow stepping in, I do the run regular to stockpile my pubs in London son, I'm friends with the captain. Feck knows what she said but the lad who served me apologised and treated me like a lord when she was finished with him.

Did she mention if she was a pal of @Jack?

BIG G

Did she mention if she was a pal of @Jack?

BIG G
She probably knew my Dad!

That chippy at Stonehouse. Was it the Ali? I saw the other day it was one of the worst take aways in Edinburgh! Ranked something like 1,160 odd out of 1,174 ? You probably did the right thing walking out.

She probably knew my Dad!

That chippy at Stonehouse. Was it the Ali? I saw the other day it was one of the worst take aways in Edinburgh! Ranked something like 1,160 odd out of 1,174 ? You probably did the right thing walking out.

Nah Jack it was the Stenhouse Takeaway across the road. Never had the pleasure of Ali's piquant fare. Ironic that they are either side of Edinburgh's most famous pie maker.

BIG G

Have to say that my experience of refuseniks in the hundreds of visits south of the Border over the past 50 years are minimal. Once in 1973 in earthquake central Leighton Buzzard when visiting my brother. I tried to buy the Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young double LP, 4 Way Street with a Bank of Clydesdale fiver. Mind you thinking back cannae blame the guy as it had Robert Burns on the front and a fuckin' mouse on the back!

View attachment 3379

The other occasion was a few years back in Liverpool and was not directed a me personally. Passing a pub with two Scouse amigos I pointed to a sign in it's window with 'No Scottish notes accepted'. Joe explained that it was because drug gangs from Liverpool were selling their deadly wares extensively in Scotland and they didnae want to act as launderers of 'death money' as he called it. Again I was easy with that.

I have once used the walking out a shop and leaving the goods tactic. Years ago before plant based eating made sense to me, I was returning from work in Livingston and stopped of at the chippy at Stenhouse Cross for a fish supper. I pointed to the biggest one by far on display and said that I would like that one please. I was informed that I couldnae pick and choose and an exchange took plaice (sic) then he proceeded to pick a rather smaller one, me still protesting. Salt,sauce, two pickles and lots of vinegar please. After wrapping them I leaned over and whispered fuck you mate to him and left him with his unsellable fish supper.

BIG G
Aintree didn't want to accept my £20 note for a pint of lager. Barmaid went away to get her boss and he only accepted it when he looked at the 1/3 of a pint left in my plastic tumbler.
Great day with Always Waining 40/1:beer-1-prv:

Nah Jack it was the Stenhouse Takeaway across the road. Never had the pleasure of Ali's piquant fare. Ironic that they are either side of Edinburgh's most famous pie maker.

BIG G
Sorry thats what I meant, Stenhouse. Bloody autocorrect!

Same thing happens in Scotland with Northern Irish notes.
I’ve worked behind the bar at annual scooter rally in Kelso. Get folk from all over Uk lot’s of NI money never refused them yet although a few English punters didn’t want them in their change.

My son & I went to Elland Rd to watch England v Australia rugby league.
Went into Burger King on the way to the ground.
I asked my son to order whatever he wanted and get me something I might eat( not at all familiar with BK)
I gave him a £20 Note. Scottish .
He ordered the grub , handed over the cash.
The girl looked at it , turned it over a few times then asked the supervisor if she could accept it.
I said ' it's the only note I have, so if you dont want it take your stuff back'.
The supervisor looked at it too then said ' OK, just this once'.
The lassie took it , rung up the bill handed back an english fiver and some coins.
My son picked up the fiver, held it up to the light and said to me 'can we accept this ?'
I was so , so proud of him.

Working in the bank branches when I was younger you see some crazy notes that you end up accepting. If its not the channel Islands, Northern Ireland or something like that its a stash of notes that an elderly relative has been collecting since the 70s the family has found under the bed and you've got to look online to check each one as its all different banks and long out of circulation.

The worst was the coin collections that have been issued for whatever occasion. Normally worth a fiver each but only if they have in writing what they are worth on there.

This thread has been viewed 1336 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£47.50