• We have upgraded the theme which will allow us to add a lot of useful add-ones.

You can dismiss this as you would probably be raging if not.
  • Hi there, if you are wanting to register, you will need a registration code. To obtain said code please email hibs@hibeesbounce.com with a brief description of why you want to become part of the bounce. Please also supply us with your IP address Click here if you do not know your IP Thank You. GGTTH

Scottish Independence - Aye or Naw?

SG7nil

Pedantic Fact Hunting Radge Grandad
Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
It's a big aye for me too.

Why would anyone want to be governed from another country than their own? I just don't get it personally.

Imagine for one moment that Westminster didn't exist and the "British" Parliament was run from Cardiff for example.. do you really believe the English would stand for it?

I want Scottish MPs to concentrate on Scottish issues.. I was going to say that I don't care if they have a vote on English matters.. but I actually do.. because I don't want them wasting time voting on matters to serve their parliamentary party (which is inevitably Labour).. Frankly I can't understand why the Tories don't just let us go, as without our quota of Labour MPs they'd have a far better chance of getting a majority in an English Parliament!

Independent Scotland in Europe.. could certainly work for me!

MacoHibeeexile

Bounce Radge
Aye.
However I'd prefer if the Dutch or The Scandinavians sorted out the actual running of the country, and let us concentrate on drinking, fighting and coming up with jokes. And possibly getting better at fitba!

We could give them a hill in return.

Brian

Listing Radge
Bounce Radge
Aye in principle. But it depends what it looked like in terms of the actual vote.

For example, I'm in favour of independence, but not if the Queen is still head of state. I'm not voting for something which is intrinsically anti-democratic, and is then embedded into our constitutional future.

The way ahead would be a vote on a Scottish Constitution defining exactly what form a newly independent Scotland would take.
I agree with you but it wouldn't make me vote no. There is, imo, next to no chance of an independent Scotland retaining the Queen as head of state for more than a few years. Otoh, I can't see the UK getting rid of the monarchy in the next 50.

superbam

Radge Donator
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Still we can fly our flags and say "Freedom!!!" :roll:
Come on man as people have mentioned in this thread there are many people who favour independence and are not even nationalist. Its for political reasons, the belief that we have more chance of improving on the society we have as an independent country and has fuck all to do with flag waving etc. That belief may be naieve and theres many a valid argument to be made against it, but the attempt by some unionists to portray all those who favour independence as shallow braveheart-watching haggis munching xenophobes is pretty tiresome at this stage,.

Hampden_Hibby

Bounce Radge
But we're not!
But we are in some very important issues as this list of Westminster reserved powers demonstrates.....

Constitutional matters
UK foreign policy
UK defence and national security
Fiscal and economic policy
Immigration and nationality
Energy: electricity, coal, oil, gas and nuclear energy
Common markets
Trade and industry, including competition and customer protection
Drugs law
Broadcasting
Elections and the registration and funding of political parties
Some aspects of transport, including aviation, railways, transport safety and regulation
Employment legislation and health and safety
Social security
Gambling and the National Lottery
Data protection
Firearms, extradition and emergency powers
Medicines, abortion, human fertilisation and embryology, genetics, xenotransplantation and vivisection
Equal opportunities
Treason, treason felony and misprision of treason
Regulation of time zones and Summer Time
Sea fishing: Regulation of sea fishing outside the Scottish zone (except in relation to Scottish fishing boats).
Weights and measures
Regulation of trade so far as involving weighing, measuring and quantities

Forzahibs

I'm a Radge Donator
Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Monthly Radge
I honestly don't know which way i'd vote to be honest , maybe some of the teenage "ayes" could help me out , what would the benefits be ?

Hampden_Hibby

Bounce Radge
I honestly don't know which way i'd vote to be honest , maybe some of the teenage "ayes" could help me out , what would the benefits be ?
When you get your pay would you rather decide for yourself on what it's to be spent on, when it's to be spent and how much is to spent in what priority order?

Or would you rather give your pay to me and I'll spend it on you okay, don't worry....but I'll decide what aspect of your life I'll spend it. I'll decide how much to release and I'll decide what you get now and what you get later.

I might even take a wee cut. bandit

That's a major benefit. It's not always about extra things being in an independent Scotland that aren't here now. Sometimes it's just about having the complete power to use your resources today according to what you want, not what someone else wants for you.

Trident or hospital beds if you like.

Ooops I'm not a teenager!

Forzahibs

I'm a Radge Donator
Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Monthly Radge
When you get your pay would you rather decide for yourself on what it's to be spent on, when it's to be spent and how much is to spent in what priority order?

Or would you rather give your pay to me and I'll spend it on you okay, don't worry....but I'll decide what aspect of your life I'll spend it. I'll decide how much to release and I'll decide what you get now and what you get later.

That's a major benefit. It's not always about extra things being in an independent Scotland that aren't here now. Sometimes it's just about having the complete power to use your resources today according to what you want, not what someone else wants for you.

But its always about what someone else wants for you , imagine being governed from Edinburgh and us all being worse off .
I honestly don't know enough to have an opinion so i'd have to rely on what a politician tells me and they've all proved how trustworthy they are recently .

Hampden_Hibby

Bounce Radge
But its always about what someone else wants for you , imagine being governed from Edinburgh and us all being worse off .
I honestly don't know enough to have an opinion so i'd have to rely on what a politician tells me and they've all proved how trustworthy they are recently .
Well, every time you walk out the house it's a gamble. If folk are put off by thinking that maybe we'd be worse off then of course, they should vote for the preservation of the union.

There are no cast iron guarantees in this life. Maybe I would vote independence and in 20 years time we are worse off due to unforeseen circumstances or under/over estimating.

Guess it all boils down to whether you are up for taking the leap into a new future or it's safety first and stick to what you have.

Dub

Hibernian, Hibernian Ra Ra Radge
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Lewis Flag Donator
Monthly Radge
Couldn't give a f#ck?
A well thought out and well structured response their my good man:glassraise:

Come on man as people have mentioned in this thread there are many people who favour independence and are not even nationalist. Its for political reasons, the belief that we have more chance of improving on the society we have as an independent country and has fuck all to do with flag waving etc. That belief may be naieve and theres many a valid argument to be made against it, but the attempt by some unionists to portray all those who favour independence as shallow braveheart-watching haggis munching xenophobes is pretty tiresome at this stage,.
What he said:thumbgrin

Decent analogy HH. Which, not being a teenager either, I fully back.

To be honest Forza, we could sit and wring our hands worrying about what ails might befall our nation if we cut the [butchers] apron strings and just maintain the status quo [dont] or we could take a chance, actually belay that - we could take a calculated risk - go it alone and make all our own decisions whether they are correct ones or not. That would be independance and I welcome the day with open arms.

StevieC

Toon Army Radge
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Part of Bounce
I understand where you're coming from mate, it is a totally undemocratic system and is something that I'd like to see dismantled one day.
Does anyone really think that the monarchy has any say in the running of the country?

Some might argue that the monarchy is one of the things that can differentiate us from many other countries, and it certainly helps to bring in a fair bit of cash to the economy thorugh tourism.

In recent years we have seen the monarchy getting pulled back in line with the requirement to pay tax and it is trying to be made a lot more self sufficient than the tax-payer funded institution it once was. I think the main gripe is down to the perceived image of the monarchy and how it is easy to make them a hate figure in a campaign for independence.

How much publicity, tourism, funding, etc., do you think St Andrews (and the srrounding area) received on the back of Prince Williams student career?

oh .. I'm a no.

LunaCWsauzee

Bounce Radge
100% Aye fae me.

For me it's simple, I want us to be able to make decisions on every matter ourselves. Saying no to sending troops off to be killed in unwinnable wars, saying no to nuclear weapons kept in Scotland.
If we had full decision making powers I do feel we would be better off.

wee 162

Bounce Flag Co-Owner
Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Player Sponsor
Does anyone really think that the monarchy has any say in the running of the country?

Some might argue that the monarchy is one of the things that can differentiate us from many other countries, and it certainly helps to bring in a fair bit of cash to the economy thorugh tourism.

In recent years we have seen the monarchy getting pulled back in line with the requirement to pay tax and it is trying to be made a lot more self sufficient than the tax-payer funded institution it once was. I think the main gripe is down to the perceived image of the monarchy and how it is easy to make them a hate figure in a campaign for independence.

How much publicity, tourism, funding, etc., do you think St Andrews (and the srrounding area) received on the back of Prince Williams student career?

oh .. I'm a no.
Cannae help but feel that it would bring in a few more tourists if you could actually open up Balmoral, Holyrood Palace, and Buckingham Palace to them rather than it being just three of the huge houses we pay for the Royals to live in... Versailles gets more than its' fair share of tourists and the French decapitated their royal family!

I don't think the monarchy has got any political power, but even symbolically it's absolutely ludicrous for someone to have any sort of rights to reign over people based on whose fanny they came out off.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors