• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

Scottish Exam Results

GORDONSMITH7

Admin
Private Member
Reaction score
How are Swinney and the Scottish Government going to sort out this ridiculous crock of shit which was of their own doing. Kids in schools in poor areas having more % of results marked down than kids in schools in better off areas. Well that's a novel way of doing thinks. It should be pointed out that Sturgeons apology came only after a threat of a no confidence vote in the hapless Swinney.

BIG G

It’s been a shambles so be interesting to see what they come up with.

As an aside my daugher is delighted with her exam results as is hoping they arenae reassessed :lookaround:

They have made a complete arse of this and apoligising now is too little too late. My neice did get into Uni to study to be a midwife, which has been her dream for years right enough, I am very proud of her.

As an aside my daugher is delighted with her exam results as is hoping they arenae reassessed :lookaround:

Surely to feck results will reassessed up the way and none down.

BIG G

There’s a bit on radio 4 today this morning about 8:10am on iPlayer on the upcoming fiasco in England.

Firstly, this was entirely predictable.

There is a problem with teacher assessment. If you have 5 students who are borderline passes all will be likely assessed as passes, that is fair and reasonable as it is through no fault of the students that they were denied an exam.

In the real world though, only three of the students might pass. Who knows what three? The teachers don’t know that’s why we have exams. In England they have apparently asked the teachers to rank the students - another clusterfuck is inevitable.

Yep, all for praising them them when they do well, but this is a big feck up, needs addressed.

Wee Nicky assured everyone on todays chat that no-one will be marked down.

***************​

On the point of what a shit show this is and as someone with no direct interest, other than how we got here in the pandemic, she also said this was something that was agreed upon on a 3 nation basis, not NI.

It covered all main parties. The torys for England, the Welsh government in Wales - a Labour administration with a Liberal education secretary.

I'd imagine the other administrations are currently working furiously to cover their bases.

Wee Nicky assured everyone on todays chat that no-one will be marked down.

***************​

On the point of what a shit show this is and as someone with no direct interest, other than how we got here in the pandemic, she also said this was something that was agreed upon on a 3 nation basis, not NI.

It covered all main parties. The torys for England, the Welsh government in Wales - a Labour administration with a Liberal education secretary.

I'd imagine the other administrations are currently working furiously to cover their bases.

You made that up Jack. I watched it. She said .....Let me be clear about this - in a very difficult and unprecedented situation, we took decisions that we thought, on balance, were the right ones, and we took them with the very best of intentions. These were broadly the same decisions that have been reached for England and Wales as well.
Which is not how you have spun what she said. Where did she say it was agreed upon on a three country basis? I however have no doubt that the iniquitous marking down of children from poorer backgrounds and areas will also take place in England and Wales. An utter disgrace.

Let's make it clear. Labour said they would, quite rightly put forward a motion of no confidence in Swinny, however it was not until the Greens said that they would support it that the Scottish Government apparatchiks made a move on the issue. The world of many youngsters must have imploded on receiving their results.

BIG G

Last edited:
Aye, my eldest has been royally screwed for 2 of his subjects. The government have made a bertie blunt of this.

As a side, what the feck is the problem with our authorities in general?? They have had AGES to prep for things like this.

The Scottish Goverment has been pretty pathetic here.

Surely having the exams would have worked not like your not social distancing during them. The exams would be then graded on a curve and people would get what they deserve. Most subjects would be complete by the time covid kicked off and into revision study time or a small part missed that would have been delt with by the curve

All being reverted to teacher estimates.

I think the government need a holiday

Looks like the English goverment have royally fucked up aswell, in sure all the press will be asking for there heads now :lookaround:

One of the outcomes of this, for Scotland anyway, is that the Scottish Government has asked the OECD to look at how pupils are assessed, taking in best practice from around the world. A good move in my opinion.

Too often Scotland and the other UK nations don't look much further than, or peek over, the nearest border.

While I was working with the Scottish Government there were the occasional wee peeks further afield but it could have happened much more often. Its been a long time since "England/Great Britain":icon-rolleyes: was any good or led the way at anything very much.

The reality in England. Especially bad news for those who pronounce boldly that class no longer exists. There is no working class don't ye know.

BIG G

Wonder why Labour are not pushing for a no confidence vote in Gavin Williamson?

Wonder why Labour are not pushing for a no confidence vote in Gavin Williamson?
They appear to be pushing for a solution broadly similar to what happened in Scotland!

Surely having the exams would have worked not like your not social distancing during them. The exams would be then graded on a curve and people would get what they deserve. Most subjects would be complete by the time covid kicked off and into revision study time or a small part missed that would have been delt with by the curve

why even have a curve?

why even have a curve?

because if you have an exam and everyone gets Q7 wrong you can assess is the question fit and remove the question this gives you the top marks and having a curve allows you to assess if an exam is individually too easy etc if everyone comes out with 100% what use is that for employers and university's you need some division in the education system for that given year. The way they are doing it is garbage though and makes little to no sense. Exams have been marked on a curve for years like all the way back to me being at school so kind of part of the framework

One of the outcomes of this, for Scotland anyway, is that the Scottish Government has asked the OECD to look at how pupils are assessed, taking in best practice from around the world. A good move in my opinion.

Too often Scotland and the other UK nations don't look much further than, or peek over, the nearest border.

While I was working with the Scottish Government there were the occasional wee peeks further afield but it could have happened much more often. Its been a long time since "England/Great Britain":icon-rolleyes: was any good or led the way at anything very much.

This crossed my mind - what have other countries done. My eldest is doing Highers this year, and already its a bit ominous in terms of what might happen for exams next year. And of course, he's going into them not having sat Nat 5s

This crossed my mind - what have other countries done. My eldest is doing Highers this year, and already its a bit ominous in terms of what might happen for exams next year. And of course, he's going into them not having sat Nat 5s

Still planning for exams next Spring, but consultation on proposed course changes just gone out. Info on SQA website and a survey available for teachers/schools to feedback on subjects. It closes on the 24th so they look to moving (uncharacteristically) quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still planning for exams next Spring, but consultation on proposed course changes just gone out. Info on SQA website and a survey available for teachers/schools to feedback on subjects. It closes on the 24th so they look to moving (uncharacteristically) quickly.

I was going to say to @Purple & Green that I doubt there will be much change in place for next year, although this year sets a precedent for results.

I did get the impression from the original NS chat that the OECD review would be looking at beyond covid-19 as this year has illustrated that, among other things, exams are probably not the best way to measure attainment.

(Dare I suggest since post WW2 and maybe before that.)

I read that today - someone has been appointed to chair, and initially reporting back within 5 weeks?

I read that today - someone has been appointed to chair, and initially reporting back within 5 weeks?

Bloke from Stirling Uni.....has a lot of credibility with teachers so likely to be helpful as the SQA currently do not have that from the profession!

This thread has been viewed 1950 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£100.75
Back