• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

Scotland v England 1972: John Brownlie

jock3

Private Member
Reaction score
Check out on YouTube, archive footage of John Brownlie's cap against England. Get this, attendance 134,000!
The Scots lost a scrappy game 1-0 to a less than impressive England team.
I agree I don't think there was much between McGrain and Brownlie, except different ends of the M8(and yes some of it was built then!).

Last edited:
7 caps!!!!!!
Our game Has been fucked for a long time!!!

Unfortunately Onion was up against Danny McGrain for most of the 70's and being an Old Firm player he was always going to be preferred. Tommy Docherty thought very highly of Brownlie though, so much so that he capped him when he was still a teenager.

Massive John Brownlie fan as a young lad. Should have had a lot more caps. He had a fantastic understanding with Alex Edwards up the right, some of my best memories of Hibs are watching those two legends.

Unfortunately Onion was up against Danny McGrain for most of the 70's and being an Old Firm player he was always going to be preferred. Tommy Docherty thought very highly of Brownlie though, so much so that he capped him when he was still a teenager.
When The Doc took over he dumped most of Bobby Browns glasgow select.
They had been dumped out of the European Championship which is why Brown got the bullet.
Doc took over and picked younger guys regardless of club.
I saw them beat Belgium at Pittodrie with a goal by John O'Hare.
Memory is a bit iffy as it was a long time ago, but I think Alex Cropley played with Pat Stanton as the Hibs reps.
Stevie Murray and Martin Buchan with possibly Bobby Clark from Aberdeen.
Jimmy Johnstone still played but jinky was a fabulous player anyway.
O'Hare as I mentioned. The rest are a bit hazy, but iirc K Dalglish was a sub, but maybe that was a different game.
It was a great night.
Pittodrie was packed.
Back then probably nearer 40,000?

What was the game that Pat Stanton passed back into his own net?Was it Wales?

What was the game that Pat Stanton passed back into his own net?Was it Wales?
I don’t remember that.
Willie Donachie scored one against wales

I don’t remember that.
Willie Donachie scored one against wales
I think that is the one moathibby is talking about....it was Willie Donnachie.

I think that is the one moathibby is talking about....it was Willie Donnachie.

Aye, definitely Willie Donnachie. Perth born Jim Blyth was the unfortunate keeper. I used to deliver papers to his hoose as a kid when he lived at his parents. Played for Coventry at the time. Played his whole career in England.

Aye, definitely Willie Donnachie. Perth born Jim Blyth was the unfortunate keeper. I used to deliver papers to his hoose as a kid when he lived at his parents. Played for Coventry at the time. Played his whole career in England.
Willie Donachie went on tae manage a Turkish team with Phil Babb as his assistant.

Willie Donachie went on tae manage a Turkish team with Phil Babb as his assistant.
Dona chie Babb.

This thread has been viewed 798 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£47.50